Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

4 posters

Page 5 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Go down

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy - Page 5 Empty Re: Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

Post  Malazek Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:28 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"... why are you scrying on us and how long have you been doing so? Sorry, I am quite inquisitive by nature so if these questions make you feel uncomfortable just let me know..."
"Periodically, since you left Umbrafall. I apologize; I sense that this makes you uncomfortable. I only wanted to make sure you were well-received and that your stay here was as amicable as possible." 
Elodie wrote:"Do you handle the scrying yourself? Or do you employ guards to handle it? The magical power that would be required to observe the entire city at once..."
"The whole city?! You've been talking to some superstitious commoners (they do love to gossip). No, I performed the scrying alone, but I did not cast my senses over the whole of Sturmgard; merely over your whereabouts. And as I said before, only periodically."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy - Page 5 Empty Re: Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

Post  Swifthand Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Talmut gets off the carpet.  Also, he makes a mental note to keep Detect Scrying on forevermore.

"Greetings, Duke Eldridge.  I can also extend warm wishes from the Fourth House of Nu'ul.  I am Talmut Xispur, conjuror, engineer, and recently appointed knight of the realm.  This talk of colleges and libraries interests me greatly; I have found that this is the exception in the Five Kingdoms.  I would very much love to see your places of learning and knowledge, if that is permissible?"
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:56 am

Talmut wrote:"This talk of colleges and libraries interests me greatly ... I would very much love to see your places of learning and knowledge, if that is permissible?"
The duke snaps his fingers and says "Yes, of course. In fact, I think you would appreciate a visit to the Zaubereigarten. I will inform the Headmeister, Waldemar von Walkenhorst. He will see that you are afforded every convenience. Allow me to give you a small token," as he talks, a small iron-and-copper ring drifts into the room, floating magically through the air, "this ring, which will grant you access to every library and college in Sturmgard. Consider it a gift."

"Shall we sit? Dinner should be ready soon. While we eat, you can tell me about the plaudits and accolades that you received from the Vicereine. I hear you are on your way to Vilderoy to visit with the Arch-duchess Adelaide? I would like to hear more about that."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Duke wrote:"Yes, of course. In fact, I think you would appreciate a visit to the Zaubereigarten. I will inform the Headmeister, Waldemar von Walkenhorst. He will see that you are afforded every convenience. Allow me to give you a small token,"

"Do you mind if I tag along with him? I have some studying of my own that I would like to attend to."

Duke wrote:"Shall we sit? Dinner should be ready soon. While we eat, you can tell me about the plaudits and accolades that you received from the Vicereine. I hear you are on your way to Vilderoy to visit with the Arch-duchess Adelaide? I would like to hear more about that."

Jeremiah will tell him about the fight with Jarigor sparing some detail about the rest of the party focusing only on his part in the fight, as if he was bragging.

"You see we were trying to get the surprise jump on him but as soon as lady Elodie started casting spells he was alerted to our presence, so I took it upon myself to jump over 100' down to Jarigor cleaving him in two. He was no match for my mighty axes! I bet those giants wished they would have picked a fight with the dragons instead of me..."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Elodie smirks as Jeremiah boasts. "Of course you've been caught up in the moment before, dear Duke, when you completely forget about the verbal component of a spell...Jeremiah and his mighty axes did quite a number on Jarigor, but my fiery wand left a whole pack of giants in ashes at the Arx!"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:42 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"Do you mind if I tag along ... have some studying of my own that I would like to attend to."
"By all means. You should all go."
Jeremiah wrote:"... I took it upon myself to jump over 100' down to Jarigor cleaving him in two!"
Elodie wrote:"... my fiery wand left a whole pack of giants in ashes at the Arx!"
Aric von Eldridge listens patiently. When the stories are finished, he responds "Such tales of bravery! You must be both great and powerful. Surely, bards will tell of your exploits for many generations to come. It's no wonder that the Arch-duchess wants to meet you. Tell me, how long will you be staying with the royal family?"

At this point in the conversation, the Chamberlain and the servant-boy both return, each pushing a serving cart that is loaded with covered-plates, goblets, and bottles. They begin moving the plates from the cart to the table and arranging the utensils and goblets around the plates. When the last bottle is finally upon the table, they excuse themselves.

The duke moves to the table and takes his seat. "Please, join me. My chefs have been hard at work."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:02 am

Jeremiah will do his best to politely eat.

Nobility +1
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:55 pm

Talmut graciously accepts the Duke's ring and offer.  "We were extended Archduchess' invitation to winter in Vilderoy via the Vicerene.  It was my assumption that the offer was forwarded in response to our defeat of Jarigor, however," Talmut continues with a smirk, "I also assume it can get boring in court all winter long, and our inclusion will liven things up for a bit."

The conjuror tips back his dry gin, emptying the tumbler.  "Everything smells delicious!  Perhaps Lady Elodie can bless our meal, unless you have other plans?"  Talmut looks from Elodie to the Duke.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will do his best to politely eat.
Talmut wrote:"Everything smells delicious!"
Once the domed plate covers are removed the party sees that they have been served medallions of braised venison, traditional Daxon potato dumplings, and spargel (white asparagus) with fried onions ... all seasoned with varying amounts of parsley, thyme, laurel, chives, black pepper, caraway, and juniper berries. A small glob of mild horseradish paste decorates each plate, to be used at your individual discretion. A dozen types of bread fill the baskets in the center of the table, along side several choices of white and red wine.
Talmut wrote:Perhaps Lady Elodie can bless our meal, unless you have other plans?" 
"That would be fine. The spirits are always welcome at my table."

After the blessing, if Elodie chooses to do so ...

Talmut wrote:"We were extended Archduchess' invitation to winter in Vilderoy ... and our inclusion will liven things up for a bit."
"The entire winter? Well, then, I am sure you will see many marvels during your stay. The Arch-duchess has rather exotic (and, might I add, expensive) tastes. The artwork alone, I mean, it's a wonder there's any art left in Ma'ag, with all that her brother has sent back, from his campaign in the South. You'll have to tell me if you recognize any of it. I only hope that some of that wealth has been used to clean up the streets of Vilderoy. Last time I was there, it was, shall we say, misfortunate ... a shame, really."

The Duke pauses for a moment to fill his goblet with wine. "How is the venison? To your liking, I hope?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Elodie is a bit startled by Talmut's invitation, but accepts thankfully, and blesses the meal. 

"The venison is excellent, and so are these dumplings. Which of these wines is your favorite? And what do you mean, misfortune? I've never been to Vilderoy and I don't know what to expect..."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Elodie wrote:"The venison is excellent, and so are these dumplings. Which of these wines is your favorite? And what do you mean, misfortune? I've never been to Vilderoy and I don't know what to expect..."
"Definitely the halbtrocken," he says, tipping his goblet toward the drier of the white wines on the table. "It's made from the same grape as the lieblich, but it's not as sweet. As with gin, I prefer drier drinks to sweeter ones."

He pauses for a moment, as if contemplating, and then continues. "Vilderoy? Well, I didn't mean speak ill of our glorious capital. I was just ... remembering the poverty and famine that I saw there. I'm sure it's not as bad as I remember it; I probably just wandered into the worst areas. Bad luck is all."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:11 am

Jeremiah will politely eat the food before him, refraining from mentioning the vast amount of poverty he see's in this city.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:41 am

"Well, hopefully we will be able to avoid such areas." Elodie will continue to eat and sample the wine recommended by the Duke until she is full. "Once again, thank you for inviting us for dinner," she will say as it appears that the meal is reaching its conclusion.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:36 pm

As the Duke finishes his meal, "Yes, well, thank you for joining me. I hope the rest of your stay in Sturmgard is a pleasant one and I hope you find time to visit me again, in the future. In the meantime, is there anything I can do make your journey more comfortable?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:57 pm

"I trust that the staff at Meg's will ensure that the rest of our stay in Sturmgard is pleasant. I would, at your convenience, be interested in learning more about the artificial lightning I saw striking your tower as we entered the city, and how you harness and utilize such energy. Of course, Duke, if you ever need our assistance, please send for us. Would you like for us to deliver any messages to the court in Vilderoy?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:02 am

Jeremiah will rise from his seat, thank the Duke for his hospitality then excuse himself from the table. He will then head back to Meg's for the night...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:53 pm

"No, nothing here - you have been quite generous already."

Talmut again thanks the Duke for his hospitality and ring before heading back to Meg's with the others.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Elodie wrote:"I saw striking your tower as we entered the city, and how you harness and utilize such energy. 
"Oh, I am sure you are already familiar with magicks that can summon lightning from the sky ... as far as its use, that is a much lengthier topic of discussion. Perhaps next time?"
Elodie wrote:"Of course, Duke, if you ever need our assistance, please send for us. Would you like for us to deliver any messages to the court in Vilderoy?"
Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will rise from his seat, thank the Duke for his hospitality then excuse himself from the table.
Talmut wrote:"No, nothing here - you have been quite generous already." Talmut again thanks the Duke for his hospitality
"The pleasure was all mine ... if you could give the Arch-duchess my regards, that would be most appreciated."

Jeremiah wrote:He will then head back to Meg's for the night...
Talmut wrote:Talmut ... heading back to Meg's with the others.
After you leave the Duke's palace and start heading back toward Meg's, Gumphrey asks "Isn't this the way to Meg's? I thought we were going to stop at the Zoobery Garden?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:44 pm

OOC: What time is it?
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:04 pm

Alpha Omega wrote:OOC: What time is it?
OOC: It's still the earlier part of the Evening (you went in the early evening and didn't stay long, so it's not yet mid-evening). It's just now starting to get dark and only because it's late in the year.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:37 am

Gumphrey wrote:"Isn't this the way to Meg's? I thought we were going to stop at the Zoobery Garden?"

"Sure, lets head over.."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 pm

"Yes, we don't want to miss the Zoobery Garden while we're out!" Elodie grins at Gumphrey and follows the group to the Zaubereigarten.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:04 pm

OOC: It's been a long day and I am exhausted, so I am going to wait until tomorrow to post. It will, however, be a longer post.

OOC: Also, Talmut is dealing with a lot of flood water, so he may have trouble posting.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:09 am

Following the directions given to them by Aric von Eldridge IV, the heroes try to find the Zaubereigarten. Their trek leads them to a small, unlocked gate standing between a candle store and an apothecary. Beyond the gate, there is only a neglected alley ... but this is where the Duke said to go. The alley itself runs between the two stores and then turns, where it connects to an old stone staircase. At the top of the stairs, the alley (which is really more of a walkway, at this point) continues, but none of the buildings next to it seem to have access. The walkway eventually turns into a bridge, which looks down upon a busy street. Hundreds of people go about their business on the street below, unaware that the Zaubereigarten is just over their heads. On the other side of the bridge, the walkway connects to a plaza-like area constructed on top of another building. Other buildings rise up on all sides, hiding the plaza from ordinary people.

A circular dais occupies most of the plaza, while a series of wooden planter-boxes decorate the perimeter. A variety of colorful plants grow from the boxes, despite the limited sunshine. At the far end of the plaza, there stands an arched doorway, flanked by two metal statues. The double-doors inside the arch are constructed of banded oak and decorated with copper "vines." A single magical sigil has been carved into each door. Standing almost twelve feet high, the statues themselves resemble armor-clad soldiers. Having studied golems at the Arx, Talmut immediately recognizes them as golems.*

*Knowledge: Arcana. These are iron golems. Iron golems are immune to magic and can possess a toxic breath weapon.

Figuring that the duke wouldn't send them to their doom, the party moves past the golems and through the doors.

Beyond the doors, the party finds themselves in a wide hall that is dimly lit. Stone columns support the ceiling, which looks to be three stories high. The only available light spills in from the many doors on either side. The colorful floor tiles lose much of their vibrancy in the dim light, but still create an elaborate pattern underfoot. Overhead, you see two balconies on each side of the hall, presumably at the second and third floors. A row of balustrades prevents anyone from falling off the balconies. An overwhelming odor of incense fills the hall.

The doors on either side of the hall are arched, like the one you entered through, but not as intricate. And open. The various doors leads alternately to storefronts or narrow hallways. All are well-lit, compared to the main hall.

Through the door to your left, you see three people. The eldest one is clearly the shop-keep, though he's dressed in fine robes, like an academician. The other two are about your age and also dressed in scholarly robes, but their robes aren't nearly as fine. The store itself appears to be a bookstore, with shelves that are filled with tomes and scroll-cases ... wait a second, bookstores don't usually have quite so many maps. You realize, suddenly, that he's selling magical scrolls and spell-books!

The store next to it offers tiny bottles filled with colorful fluids. It is clearly a potion shop! To your right, you see a jeweler and a rabologist, probably filled with similar rarities. And there are several more doors, each seemingly open for business.

An elderly man suddenly emerges from the doors at the far end of the hall. Wearing layered robes and a scraggly beard, he starts across the floor, making his way toward the exit behind you.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:56 am

Elodie will step aside to let the old man pass as she says, "Wow. Too bad most of my gold is in a vault in Umbrafall..." She will step further down the hall, attempting to see what other shops are here.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next