Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

5 posters

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down

Adventure #3 - Lord Winter Empty Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Malazek Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 pm

One week later, the heroes reconvene in front of the Jolly Toad ... the stone namesake of the place watching as you gather. It's nearly time to head to the palace, so you can give the ring you found to the Vicereine herself.

It's still early. The sun is still on the rise, so the long shadows of the Angers stretch across the landscape. The chill of night still lingers on the wind.

Gumphrey is the first to arrive.

OOC: It's been seven days. Talmut still needs another day to finish his crafting. Elodie still needs four days to finish hers. But this is the earliest you could get in to see the Vicereine.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Adventure #3 - Lord Winter Empty Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Glitz Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Elodie greets her fellow adventurers, her butterfly barrette catching the light of the rising sun. Her fingers are stained with what must be ingredients from the potions she has been brewing. "So, shall we go see the Vicereine today? The last potions can wait for a day!"

OOC: I'll figure out the potion cost once I see how many Elodie actually gets to finish, and let everyone know what the cost is for the water breathing & cure moderate wounds potions.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:53 am

OOC -Talmut will get to the specific spells he copies in a bit.

OOC 2 - The cost for the cloak and clasp is 1,500gp total, +1 to saves, +1 to AC (Natural Bonus).  Everyone has their items, save Talmut's clasp.

Just as Elodie's hands are stained by her ingredients, so Talmut's are stained by ink.  Nodding toward the druid's hands with a empathetic glance:   "Yes, let us carry these solemn tidings to the Vicerene."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:40 am

Jeremiah will meet with the group and follow them to the Vicereine.

OOC: The cloak doesn't stack with my current saves or AC correct?

GM Edit: OOC: It will not stack with your saves, but it will add to your AC. Talmut will, however, be able to upgrade it later, so that it will supersede your current save bonus.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Standing there with his new cloak and his new clasp, not to mention his gator-skin boots and gloves, Gumphrey looks rather pleased with himself. "Hey, what does a Vicereine look like? I've heard people say she's beautiful ... but I've also heard people mention how old she is. Which do you think is true?"

As the party walks toward the Vicereine's Palace, the townsfolk are starting to pour into the streets. As the first rays of the sun shine from behind the silhouette of the mountain range, the town seems to "wake up" with the buzz and banter of early morning trade. The entrance the Palace Grounds is barely three blocks from the West Gate, but when the party arrives, there is already a small crowd gathered at the gate. There are more guards this morning than there were a week ago.

The entrance to the Palace Grounds is on the east end of the inner wall, which looms over most of the city. Though the heavy portcullis has been raised to allow entry, many guards serve to restrict who gets in ... and to direct those admitted to orderly approach. Above the portcullis, a narrow wooden gatehouse sits nestled into the high stone walls. Even from street level, you can there are guards stationed there, looking down and ready for whatever might happen.

On either side of the gate house, heraldic banners are hung, displaying the serpent-coiled mountain of the Umbrafall flag. Beside them, more banners, blazoned with the escutcheon and charges of Emberlyn Winter, Vicereine of Umbrafall. And yet more banners, displaying the Royal Lion of King Guy the Loveless, King of the Realms and Patron of Umbrafall.

A few of the towns senior residents get in before you, but the guards call upon the party before attending to the masses of peasants. "You there! You were here last week, weren't you? I remember. You're next. Go on in."

As the heroes slip past the guards and into the Palace Grounds, they are suddenly struck by the "magnificence" of it. A private road parts the manicured lawn, leading directly from the gate to the palace. Several smaller buildings stand on either side of the road, the first two of which belong to craftsman personally commissioned by the Vicereine herself. Beyond that, the servants' housing and the stables. The ground also sports a plethora of trees, growing among the smaller structures.

Directly in front of the Palace is a wide fountain, carved in the likeness of a great serpent wrapped around a mountain. A continual stream of water rushes forth from the serpent's mouth, while smaller streams cascade down the mountain side like tiny waterfalls. The water falls into a wide basin around the base of fountain, which is at least five or six yards wide.

The palace itself is probably the largest structure in the entire town (aside from the walls), standing nearly seven stories high. A stout crenelated tower juts from the roof of the palace, offering a defensive response to any would-be assailants.

The entryway to the Palace-proper is a pair of ornate oak doors, decorated with "vines" of silver and gold. You can't see much of the design, however, because the doors are held open by a pair of thick iron chains. On either side of the door way, in front of the open doors, are two more guards.

Past the doors and into the great hall, the party finds themselves in a huge lobby, large enough to hold hundreds of visitors. Four wide columns support the ceiling, which must be two or three stories above the floor, judging by the number of wide balconies over-looking the hall. Gigantic murals cover every wall, interrupted only by the presence of more heraldic banners.

The room is lit primarily by two large chandeliers, hanging from the ceiling over head, though four lanterns are hung by iron hooks around each of the massive pillars (so, sixteen lanterns, in total).

At the far end, separated from the masses by velvet ropes, is a high dais that spans the width of the room. In the center of the dais, is a massive throne-like chair with a pair of statues standing guard on either side. A long narrow table runs from either side of the centerpiece to the far ends of the dais. Behind the narrow tables, dozens of important guests (nobles, ambassadors, military officers, and the like) are seated, eager to watch the proceedings. The table itself is draped in expensive fabric, with the heraldry of those seated sewn onto the front of the table cloth, so the design hangs in front of their position at the table.  

Seated in the massive chair at the center of the dais is the Vicereine herself. Her platinum-colored hair is cropped short, almost like a man's hairstyle, but it doesn't detract from her femininity, at all. Even though she must be older than your own mother, her ivory complexion and regal beauty belies her age. Her long, green and gold dress is tailored in the latest fashion, which only adds to her commanding presence.

Currently, she is addressing an older couple. "So, even though my knights were able to drive away the menace, they did not arrive in time to prevent the beast from damaging your granaries? Very well. The city will reimburse you your lost grain and my personal artisans will see to the construction of two new granaries on your property. Next?"

One after another, the concerns of the older folks are addressed. In many cases, the seated attendants seem to be in agreement, applauding the Vicereine's wisdom and generosity. The attendant directly to the Vicereine's left seems to be some sort of "official" scribe, furiously recording everything that is said in this room. Between each hearing, the Justiciar (who is seated directly to her right) stands up and calls out the next to be heard. When the last of the elders are heard, one of the guards steps over and whispers to the Justiciar, pointing at you and several other people in the crown.

The Justiciar is a broad shouldered man, of average height, with flowing brown locks and a well-trimmed beard. He is wearing heavy armor, emblazoned with the crest of the city, and long red cloak, similarly adorned. An ornate sword hangs from his belt. He stands up and points in your direction, bellowing "YOU THERE! STEP FORWARD, PLEASE. State your names and your business. The Vicereine will now hear your concerns."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:29 pm

Elodie watches the peasants present their issues, attempting to prepare herself for the proper way to address the Vicereine. 

Perception check to figure out "proper etiquette": 13 (1 + 12)

Elodie steps forward and attempts to bow, and then says, "Your Grace, I am Elodie, druid of Kelbany. My fellow adventurers and I were exploring some ruins near the town recently and found an item that may interest you."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:37 pm

"Please, continue, Elodie of Kelbany. Introduce your companions and then tell me about this peculiar item you have found."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Elodie introduces the group, gesturing to each party member as she does so.

"This is Talmut-Xispur, learned conjurer from the House of Nu'ul. This is Jeremiah, a skilled Danmarian trapper. Finally, this is Gumphrey, a true charmer who hails from your beautiful city, Umbrafall. We call ourselves the Band of Four.

"Just a week ago, we were exploring some ruins near the town and happened upon a signet ring. Talmut-Xispur is a knowledgeable historian and believes that the seal is the seal of your noble house."

Elodie turns to Talmut, since the ring is in his possession.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:01 pm

The crowd gasps with excitement, hearing Elodie's words.

"Indeed, may I see it?" the Vicereine asks.

You realize she has done you a courtesy by requesting to see the ring. As the ruler of the city, she doesn't really need to ask. If Talmut seems agreeable, the Justiciar will wave two fingers, sending one of his guards over to retrieve the precious item. If not, he will probably still wave two fingers, sending over one of his guards.

OOC: How do you respond?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:55 am

With a bow, Talmut will hand over the ring.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:18 pm

A guard comes over and graciously accepts the ring from Talmut, before stepping over the velvet rope and handing the ring to the Justiciar, who briefly examines it before giving it to the Vicereine. The Vicereine takes the ring and studies it carefully for a minute, before announcing "I believe this is the ring of my uncle, Lord Josburn Winter, brother to the late Lord of Umbrafall, Kennard Winter (my father). Thank you for recovering it."

She hands the ring back to the Justiciar, who takes it over to one of the other seated individuals.

After a moment, she continues "Tell me, Talmut-Xispur, Conjurer of the House of Nu'ul: You are a long way from home, are you not? What brings you to the Shadows of the Angers?"

As she asks him this question, Talmut notices that the man now in possession of the ring is scrutinizing it very carefully.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:03 pm

"Your Grace, as my friend Elodie stated,  I am not only a Conjuror, but a historian, as well.  I seek the lost secrets of the Augustine Empire, and plan to pen my discoveries for the edification of future generations."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm

"Your endeavor sounds most noble, indeed. I wish you luck and I hope you find our fair city both hospitable and welcoming."

"And what of you, Jeremiah the Trapper, our neighbor from the North? What brings you to Umbrafall?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:25 am

Jeremiah, seeing how the others react, bows and says...

"I come seeking adventure and to change my lot in life. If in the process I can help with removing giant folk from the realm, I can leave this world an accomplished man."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:40 pm

"You're a Giant-slayer, then? The Danmarians have always produced the most fearsome killers of giants. With all the giants roaming the hills and mountains these days, I am sure you will find many opportunities to let them taste the bite of your axes."

"And you, Gumphrey of Umbrafall? Are you truly the charmer she says you are."

"Yes, your grace. They call me the Shadow Man."

"The Shadow Man? That's a peculiar moniker. Why do they call you that?

"Because I'm cool and quiet, like the shadow of night."

"Indeed."

Now, the Vicereine looks to her right, toward that man at the far end of the table; the one who was examining the ring. He looks up and gives a nod. The Vicereine turns back toward the party and continues ...

"Very well. I would like to thank you for the service you have done for my family. The City of Umbrafall would like to thank you, as well. I hereby offer the Band of Four the opportunity to serve as Deputies of the Court. If you accept this appointment, you will be tasked with the exploration of the Augustine ruins within this valley, as well as the termination of any giants you find during your search. Of course, you will be expected to uphold the honor and glory of the City of Umbrafall, as well as that of the Five Realms. You will be expected to provide my Chancellor with a monthly report, detailing your progress and accomplishments. If you accept these offices and titles, you will be awarded a small stipend, as well as the authority necessary to complete your tasks. You will each be assigned a single assistant, to aid you in your endeavors; one who has trained in both the sword and the pen. If you pursue these responsibilities with dedication and honor, you may eventually be awarded with further promotions. In time, these accolades might include soldiers to command or lands to govern."

"If you are willing to accept my offer, please see the Chancellor before you leave. If not, then please see the Almoner instead; he will give you small a monetary award, as compensation for your troubles. I sincerely hope that you consider offer, however, as I feel you are well-suited to the task."

"Next?"

The Justiciar stands, again, and points to another in the crowd. "YOU THERE! PLEASE, STEP FORWARD. State your names and your business. The Vicereine will hear you, now."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Jeremiah looks to the group as the Justiciar ushers them aside...

"I wouldn't mind rendering my or, our for that matter, services to the Vicereine. We already planned to explore and document the ruins anyway, why not get paid extra for it..."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Talmut nods to the woodsman.  "The authority of office will only aid in any future struggles against these Blackbirds.  I agree, Jeremiah.  Elodie, Gumphrey?"
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:16 pm

"Yeah," Gumphrey says, "whatever you guys think. I trust your opinions."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:45 am

OOC - Copied and learned spells are chosen to date, I guess i'll start a specific 3rd level book or 2, if it takes it. I still need to craft my cloak and clasp (it's the beginning of day 7), correct?  I think I will take a break from crafting and finish my item when the Masters return.

GM Edit: OOC: Beginning of Day 7, yes. Your first post in this chapter says your clasp was not finished, but all the cloaks and all the other clasps were done. Spell-books can hold 100 spell-levels (but count 0-level spells as 1, not 0).
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Elodie begins bouncing lightly on her toes as the Vicereine speaks, excited by the offer. As they leave and the party discusses it, Elodie says, "Yes! What an honor. Jeremiah is exactly right, as well."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:48 pm

After hearing the rest of the party's decisions, Jeremiah starts to head to the chancellors office.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:32 pm

The party pushes through the crowd toward one of the wide double-doors at the side of the main chamber. The guards there usher you through. On the other side, you find yourselves in a short hallway with white stone walls. There are five more doors; two on either side, plus another set of double-doors at the end of the hall. The double doors are open and guarded by a pair of knights.

Through the last door, you can see an elderly man standing behind a large mahogany desk. There is a matching credenza behind him and an ornate circular rug beneath him. The elderly man waves you in. The guards make no effort to impede your progress.

Once you're inside the room, you see that there are book shelves on your left. On your right, there is another door (closed) and a large chest, with a glowing pedestal between them. The pedestal is made of marble, but it's topped with a large black orb (probably made of onyx). Despite it's dark color, the black orb seems to be illuminating the room.

On the desk there are several stacks of paper, three large seals, a well of ink, three large quills jutting from a stone cup, two wooden lock boxes, a single candle, a knife, and a large block of red wax. There are also four scroll cases, made of beech wood and capped with gold. The man speaks.

"Welcome. I am Colton Winter, Chancellor of Umbrafall. Come on in. I assume by your coming here that you have decided to accept the Vicereine's offer?"

After the party confirms this, he continues. "Very well. There is a short oath involved. If you're ready, repeat after me: 'I solemnly swear to carry out the duties I have accepted and to uphold the honor of Umbrafall, as well as that of the Great Kingdom of Nar. I accept these terms in good faith, as I enter into the service of the Vicereine, her Grace, Emberlyn Winter, and to that of her liege-lord, the rightful King of the Five Realms. These things I do solemnly swear'."

Assuming everyone repeats the oath, he immediately starts handing out the scroll cases. As he hands you yours, you notice your name is engraved in the side of the case. "Inside," he says, "you will find a letter that verifies your official position. It is stamped with the seal of the Vicereine, herself. A second letter details your duties, as they were described by the Vicereine, in court, a few moments ago, as well as a copy of the oaths you just swore. You will also find a signet ring that bears the emblem of your office and your position. Your official title, now, is 'Deputy of the Court of Umbrafall'."

"It may take me a few days to decide on suitable assistants for you. They have already been vetted, personally, by myself, but we have many find candidates in our employ. I want to make sure I choose those who are most suited to serve you, personally."

"Any questions?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:26 pm

After reciting his oath, Talmut solemnly accepts his scrollcase and then, opening it, inspects the signet ring for a moment before slipping it on his finger.

A perfect fit.

"Chancellor - you are who we will be reporting to monthly?  Is there a standard format for the report that you would prefer?"
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:29 pm

"Yes, that's correct, once per month."

"I'll leave the formatting up to you. This is your area of expertise, after all. Just be as detailed as possible."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:36 pm

'I solemnly swear to carry out the duties I have accepted and to uphold the honor of Umbrafall, as well as that of the Great Kingdom of Nar. I accept these terms in good faith, as I enter into the service of the Vicereine, her Grace, Emberlyn Winter, and to that of her liege-lord, the rightful King of the Five Realms. These things I do solemnly swear'."

Jeremiah slips his ring on...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next