Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

4 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants Empty Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:54 pm

A week later, the troops are assembled before their new banner, awaiting the order to move out.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants Empty Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Glitz Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Elodie stands with the group, slightly separate but close enough to be aware of what is going on. She repeatedly takes her new wand out and twirls it between her fingers, and then slides it back into the holster strapped to her thigh. As she does this, she waits for Jeremiah to give the signal for the troops to head out.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants Empty Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants Banner_zps9e7a7eb4

The old "42nd Platoon" banner has since been replaced this one; a banner crafted specifically for Jeremiah's troops.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:17 am

With the final preparations finished, Jeremiah will order the troops to move out.

OOC: I guess the first place to start would be where we seen the Frost Giant tracks.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:56 pm

As the troops move out, Elodie will scout ahead, slightly off the road.  She is looking for giant tracks, or anything else that might be dangerous.

OOC: Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Stealth +18, Survival (tracking) +20, Knowledge (Nature) +12
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:50 pm

OOC: How many squads did Jeremiah want to divide the Platoon into? Four squads of nine? Three squads of twelve? Two squads of eighteen? Those are the divisions the Chancellor suggested, but he can divide it anyway he wants. Six squads of six? Nine squads of four? Remember, each squads will need corporal and a lance-corporal. I'll go ahead and name them all, I just need to know how many troops will be in each squad.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:02 pm

OOC: Three squads of twelve is fine.
OOC: +27 to track giants
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 pm

The Jotun Invaders follow Jeremiah away from parade grounds and toward the Timberwyld. As they march along the North Road, they leave behind the other troops and banner-men, still encamped around the city walls. Alongside Jeremiah, Elodie and Halvar ride at the front of the formation. Gumphrey and Lindy ride alongside their companions, even though they aren't officially part of the Platoon.

Hours later, before the forces have even journeyed away from the road, you discover more tracks; tracks that look to be made by giants. Since that tracks you found over a week ago have undoubtedly faded by now, these new tracks should prove to be quite useful. After examining the prints, Jeremiah determines that they were made by the same scouting party as before, but this time heading back toward the mountains. The Frost Giants can't be more than a day ahead of you.

You're not too far from the Arx Scopulus; it's quite possible that these new tracks will veer that way and take you right by it. Either way, they will definitely take you higher into the foothills and perhaps into the Angry Mountains, themselves.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:42 am

Jeremiah will lead the troops toward Arx Scopulus and make camp for the evening. He will then dispatch a rider by horse to inform the Chancellor of the tracks they found and where they lead. Confirming that he will be pursuing them into the Angry Mountains if necessary...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:08 am

Elodie will continue following and assisting in tracking, if necessary.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will lead the troops toward Arx Scopulus and make camp for the evening.
The troops march through the hills, until the Arx Scopulus comes into view ... but when it does, Elodie and Jeremiah perform double-takes, as the various ruins are now gone. At the top of the hill, where the ruined toward once stood, now looms a stone ziggurat; a stepped pyramid that seems as much a work of art as it does a structure. Surrounding the hilltop, a a fortified wall stands upon a high motte; at the bottom, a deep trench and a wooden palisade surround the entire hill. After checking their surroundings, the naturalists are re-assured that this is, in fact, the right place.

The troops don't seem to know that anything is amiss, but Gumphrey and the two assistants know right away.

"Should we knock?" Gumphrey asks. After a short discussion, it is agreed. Gumphrey (and whoever will go with him) strolls up to the main gate and rings the bell.
Jeremiah wrote:He will then dispatch a rider by horse to inform the Chancellor of the tracks they found and where they lead. Confirming that he will be pursuing them into the Angry Mountains if necessary...
OOC: Which horse? Jeremiah, Elodie, Gumphrey, Lindy, and Halvar all have horses ... but the troops are not mounted. You also have the stone horse.
Elodie wrote:Elodie will continue following and assisting in tracking, if necessary.
At the Arx Scopulus, Elodie does not find any evidence of a construction crew ... or even that any construction materials were brought here.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Elodie will accompany Gumphrey and whoever else decides to come along. As they walk up the path, she says, "This looks like something that old scamp Mittens could've done."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Hearing the troops approach the normally very quiet stronghold, Talmut hurries to the wall to investigate. My companions return...Jeremiah should be pleased with the improvements to security.  Then the conjuror heads to the gate to meet the approaching group.

"Welcome back, friends!  No need for the troops to camp outside the gate - there is plenty of room inside.  Please, come in, and make yourself at home; it is, after all, your home, if you so desire."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Elodie strolls in, marveling at the work that Talmut has done. "This is exquisite, Talmut--such quick work, too! I'm very impressed. Is Mittens still here? Care to give us the grand tour?" Elodie will take a look around the new "home".

OOC: Welcome back, Swift! Glad to see you back in the game, and happy belated birthday. 
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu May 01, 2014 8:03 am

Malazek wrote:Which horse? Jeremiah, Elodie, Gumphrey, Lindy, and Halvar all have horses ... but the troops are not mounted. You also have the stone horse.

Jeremiah will offer up his horse since they have arrived at the Arx.

Jeremiah will lead the troops into the stone Ziggurat for the night.

OOC: Man, I can not shake the sickness...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu May 01, 2014 5:20 pm

OOC - Thanks, glad to be back!  Quick question - how much do I know of the giant issue?  Not much, cause it all came to light while you guys were in town, correct?

Talmut will give a tour of the stronghold, allowing the companions "1st dibs" at quarters.  He also points out the barracks and guard posts for the troops.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu May 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Elodie wrote:Elodie strolls in, marveling at the work that Talmut has done. Elodie will take a look around the new "home".
Talmut wrote:Talmut will give a tour of the stronghold, allowing the companions "1st dibs" at quarters.  He also points out the barracks and guard posts for the troops.
The ziggurat itself is large enough to effectively function as a stronghold, with modest living space ... but under the ziggurat, all the old passages have been cleaned up and refurnished, increasing the amount of space available for use.
Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will offer up his horse since they have arrived at the Arx.
The designated soldier quickly mounts the steed and swiftly heads back toward Umbrafall.
Talmut wrote:OOC - how much do I know of the giant issue?  Not much, cause it all came to light while you guys were in town, correct?
Talmut knows they found tracks outside, which Jeremiah identified as those of a Frost Giant scouting party. He knows that Halvar and Glory were sent to town to report the findings to the Chancellor. He saw the forces encamped around the city (he rode with Elodie when she went to reincarnate Gumphrey) and he was told they were there to protect the people. Glory was also at the Arx Scopulus this last week, as was Flint.

He does NOT know about Elodie and Jeremiah's military appointments, nor of their current mission.
Jeremiah wrote:OOC: Man, I can not shake the sickness...
OOC: Sux. I hope you feel better soon.

Shortly after the arrival of the troops, Mittens approaches Jeremiah. "Jeremiah! I'm glad you have returned. I intend to leave soon and I was worried I wouldn't get to say good-bye. There are some important matters I must attend to. I will be taking Odion and Malabus with me. I don't know for how long. Here is a key to the house. Use it as you wish."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu May 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Elodie searches through the furnished rooms, attempting to find the most comfortable bed in the ziggurat.

Perception check to find the comfiest bed: 34 (16 + 18)

After she claims her space, she rounds up Halvar and a small group of troops. "Let's go out into the woods and try to find some food; I am sure that the troops have some rations, but something fresh would be nice, right? But stay close. Don't forget, we found giant tracks nearby just a week ago." She will notify Jeremiah of her plans before taking the troops out. While she is gathering, she will also be looking for fresh tracks.

Survival (gather): 28 (8 + 20)

Survival (track): 37 (17 + 20)
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri May 02, 2014 7:58 am

Mittens wrote:There are some important matters I must attend to. I will be taking Odion and Malabus with me. I don't know for how long. Here is a key to the house. Use it as you wish."

"I wish you the best in your endeavors and I still owe you for saving me in the catacombs, I won't forget it."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"I wish you the best in your endeavors and I still owe you for saving me in the catacombs, I won't forget it."
"My pleasure, Jeremiah. You have been the best friend a cat could ever ask for."
And then ...
... he's gone.
Elodie wrote:Elodie searches through the furnished rooms, attempting to find the most comfortable bed in the ziggurat.
The bed she settles on is indeed comfortable. They are comfortable, actually, but Elodie is convinced that hers is the most comfortable of all.
Elodie wrote:After she claims her space, she rounds up Halvar and a small group of troops. "Let's go out into the woods and try to find some food"
Survival (gather): 28 (8 + 20)
- Elodie: Gather = 36 (28 +8 from Assistance) Food for Elodie and 13 others
- Halvar: Gather = 30 (22 +8 from Assistance) Food for Halvar and 10 others

With the help of only eight soldiers, Elodie and Halvar are able to locate enough food for twenty-five persons ... not enough to feed everyone, but certainly enough to bolster your supply.
Elodie wrote:"Don't forget, we found giant tracks nearby just a week ago." While she is gathering, she will also be looking for fresh tracks.
Survival (track): 37 (17 + 20)
Elodie does not find any additional giant tracks, but she does find some interesting spoor. Passing within a a dozen yards of the Arx Scopulus, she finds the tracks of a giant wolf heading westward out of the mountains. It couldn't have been more than half a day since these tracks were made. A little further to the North, she also finds tracks that are more enigmatic: a bipedal creature with cloven hooves.
Talmut wrote:He also points out the barracks and guard posts for the troops.
As the troops pile into the barracks, and spill out onto the defensive wall, the small keep comes alive with the clamor and racket of young warriors, eager to not be sleeping in tents for once.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri May 02, 2014 8:46 pm

When she comes across the giant wolf prints, Elodie places her hand next to one and attempts to figure out how large this wolf would be in comparison to the wolves she is familiar with. When she finds the hoof prints, she studies them carefully, trying to figure out if she's seen anything like this before.

Knowledge (nature): +12
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Elodie wrote:When she comes across the giant wolf prints, Elodie places her hand next to one and attempts to figure out how large this wolf would be in comparison to the wolves she is familiar with.
At first, Elodie suspects that it could be a dire wolf; primitive wolves the size of a horses ... but as she compares the print to her own hand, she realizes this one is much, much larger. It was at least the size of elephant!
Elodie wrote:When she finds the hoof prints, she studies them carefully, trying to figure out if she's seen anything like this before.
She has never seen anything like this before. She has, however, heard of faerie creatures called fawns (or satyrs); a woodwose with the arms and torso of a man, but the legs and lower body of a goat. Although such creatures are essentially the stuff of legend, many folk believe they are real.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri May 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Elodie is very puzzled by both sets of tracks, and tells her companions about them when she returns. "I'd like to follow at least one of these sets of tracks; both of the creatures that passed through here are unlike anything that I've ever encountered before!"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat May 03, 2014 8:27 am

When Halvar returns from foraging, he has a new friend: a long-horned ram! This wild animal is almost as big as Halvar and seems quite content to stay by his side. "Hey everyone! This here is Buck! 'Bout a year ago, I found him up in the mountains, with his leg stuck in a trap. A mountain cat was ready to eat him, but I saved the little guy. I guess he remembered me, because he came right up to me in the woods! Of course, he's a lot bigger now ... but no eating him, okay? He's my friend and I'm bringing him with us."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat May 03, 2014 8:38 am

Glitz wrote:Elodie is very puzzled by both sets of tracks, and tells her companions about them when she returns. "I'd like to follow at least one of these sets of tracks; both of the creatures that passed through here are unlike anything that I've ever encountered before!"
Gumphrey says "That IS intriguing, but won't that delay us from finding the giants? Then again, it might be worthwhile. Ooh, what if there's another giant riding that giant wolf-thing? We could split up, to follow all the different tracks, but we might need every man we've got against the giants ... I know I don't feel like dying, again. Maybe a few of us should just follow the tracks for a few hours tonight, before it gets to dark? You're not leading all these troops out until morning, are you, Jeremiah?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next