Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

+2
Glitz
Malazek
6 posters

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad - Page 17 Empty Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:21 am

"Sounds good.."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:25 am

"I like the groups new name. I will say tho, I won't find any good use for the pearl so we might as well sell it, along with these other things I've collected. As far as the other loot, I have no affinity for any of it. Let's sell it all."
Maius digs thru his packs and readies for sale:
From Crypt:
Backpack (2 lbs)
Shovel (8 lbs)
Short Swords 5x (10 lbs)
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Elodie shrugs. "I can see that I've been outvoted, but the Band of Four has a nice sound to it, as well. I was partial to Axes and Pearls, though." She mumbles the last part quietly.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:46 pm

OOC - I liked that one, too, until I realized I'd be a pearl, then, not so much, lol.

"Maius, if you have no need for the pearl, I am sure Elodie or I would value it greatly.  If there ever comes a time it has become supliferous, we could sell it then..."

"However, perhaps we should sell the black arrow?"
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:55 pm

OOC--haha, I guess we're all pearls except for Jeremiah...so then we could be Jeremiah & the Pearls!

"That's a good idea, to keep the extra pearl--we can trade it back and forth as long as we have need to do so," Elodie agrees.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:36 pm

When Jeremiah hands over the form, the barkeep looks it over. "The Band of Four? Very good. 'Yes?' I see. Yes, yes, very well. If you'd like to haul your urns and other 'loots' over to our general store, I will let them know that "the Band of Four" are now official guild members. When you're done there, come back over and we'll see about getting those clothes washed and sewn."

At the general store, Maius finds the proprietor of the G.S. to be a very old man. He examines the urns and other valuables closely before making a very generous offer. "Well, I think we could go as high as 6,390 gold coin for the lot of it. That's the old backpack, the shovel, five ancient swords, six ancient spears, this mirror, the large (but flawed) moonstone, the six gold rings, the sealing wax, these random odd thieves' tools, the mystery wine, this very expensive spyglass, and (of course) the 20 urns. 6,390. Gold. You won't find a better offer anywhere else."

OOC: So, that's 6,390 gold and 30 platinum to divide between the four of you ... that works out to 1,672 gold and 5 silver each. Make sure all of the sold loot gets subtracted from everyone's gear lists and encumbrance totals are adjusted accordingly.

OOC: I did not include Maius's Pearl, because I am sure Talmut or Elodie would gladly accept another. 

OOC: That does not include the Black Arrow. If you decide to sell that, add another 285 gold 2 silver and 5 copper each (1141 gold total for the arrow).

OOC: Anyone who returns to the barkeep to get their clothes repaired and washed, please make a post stating as such. Laundry service is 3 cp per garment. Clothing repair costs 2 sp for an explorer's outfit (Talmut, Elodie, Jeremiah) or 6 cp for an entertainer's outfit (Maius). Otherwise, your clothes remained ripped and stained with your own blood.

OOC: It will will take Talmut and Elodie four days to get over their Ghoul Fever. Here is the run down ...

- Day One: Fort Save (2 on the die) Failed. Lose 3 Con and 2 Dex
- Day Two: Fort Save (15 on the die) Successful. Regain 1 Con and 1 Dex
- Day Three: Fort Save (13 on the die) Successful. Regain 1 Con and 1 Dex. And Cured.
- Day Four: Regain 1 Con.

- Day One: Fort Save (6 on the die) Failed. Lose 3 Con and 2 Dex
- Day Two: Fort Save (19 on the die) Successful. Regain 1 Con and 1 Dex
- Day Three: Fort Save (14 on the die) Successful. Regain 1 Con and 1 Dex. And Cured.
- Day Four: Regain 1 Con.

OOC: You guys said you wanted to party a little bit with your new found wealth. Did you want to do that here or at the Jolly Toad? (Remember, the Guild Inn has no vacancies, at the moment, so if you want rooms, you'll need to go to the Jolly Toad, anyway).  Did you want to do that tonight, tomorrow, or after Elodie and Talmut are feeling better?

OOC: What else do you want to get done during those four days? Does anyone need more downtime than that? I am going to start adventure #2 (in another thread ) very soon; perhaps tomorrow.

OOC: Experience Points: 3300 (Each)That's 2200 for challenges (monsters and traps) and another 1100 for role-playing and story development. Using the fast experience table, that brings you (just barely) to 3rd level. That means hit dice, base attack, saves, another feat, skill ranks, plus whatever benefits your class grants. Also, don't forget to add your favored class benefits (+1 skill rank or +1 hit point).

OOC: Any questions?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:03 pm

I would like to buy the stuff on my list...

Leather Strips (curing)
Leather Sack (curing)
Composite L. Bow
Arrows

GM Edit ...
- A Composite L. Bow costs 100 gp plus another 100 gp per point of strength bonus (add another 300 if masterwork)
- Arrows cost 1 gp for a quiver of 20

I'm not sure what the other two are supposed to be ...
- Is a "leather sack (curing)" just a sack made out of leather? If so, that might cost 2 sp and weigh 3/4 of a pound.
- Are "leather Strips (curing)" crafting materials? The materials needed to make something out of leather cost one-third of the item's finished value. So, the materials needed to make leather armor would cost 3 gold 3 silver and 4 copper, while the materials needed to make a leather whip would cost 3 silver and 4 copper. Or are "leather Strips (curing)" just some plain old strips of leather? If they are just plain old strips, I guess they might cost a copper piece or so; maybe 2 or 3 silver per pound of leather? I don't know if that helps. 
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:04 pm

OOC: Also, the horses and gear that belonged to Stephen's mom were worth about 380 gold. If you'd like to pay her back, that's 95 gold a piece.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Elodie will pay to have her items cleaned and repaired.

"It would be nice if we could rest for a week. If we do rest for a week, I will be able to brew some potions to help us once we set out again. If you all would like, I can brew a healing potion for each of you to carry with you, just in case we're ever in a real bind. They will cost 75 gold a piece to prepare, so if you'd like one, I'd appreciate the gold."

If everyone wants a potion, Elodie will brew the following potions during the week off:
Cure Light Wounds x4 (one for everyone!)
Lesser Restoration x3 (for personal potion collection)

"Also, we should probably repay Stephen's family for the lost horses."

After everything has been sold and her clothing has been repaired, Elodie votes for dinner, a bath, and a place to sleep at the Jolly Toad!

Elodie is also still very curious about the wand. After she has rested, she will try to determine how many uses are left again.

Cast Detect Magic.
Spellcraft Check: 11, 11, 13, 16 (5 + 6, 5 + 6, 7 + 6, 10 + 6)

If we rest for more than 4 days, here are my next three tries:
Spellcraft Check: 8, 25 (2 + 6, 19 + 6--finally!!!)
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:25 am

O.o.C.: Saw the post at work, couldn't wait to get home to say...
w00t! and DOUBLE w00t!! Awesome!

Maius will gladly contribute his share to repay Stephen's mother for the horses. Also, definitely would like a healing potion for himself. Maius too will get all of his clothes repaired and cleaned.

o.o.c. Probably take me a minute to read up on all the stuff i gotta do for level up. I will adjust character sheet as soon as I can. Is there anything that resembles a bank in this time/town? That's an awful lot of coins to be clinkin' around in my bag!

GM Edit: Glad you asked ... the Adventurer's Guild has Vaults you can borrow. It's a perk available to each member group (so one vault that the four of you can share). It's made of steel and roughly the size of a large closet. It's located in the basement of the Guild Inn, protected by magical wards, and guarded by a large dog. The barkeep can lead you down there safely. 
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:36 am

O.O.C. Stuff - Are we selling the Black Arrow?  I vote yes...but Jeremiah has the veto.

Filling his pipe while nodding, Talmut gladly accepts Elodie's offer of a potion and agrees that we should pay for the dead horses. "I could use the week to study.  There is the matter of this scroll.  If there is no objection, I would like to research it - I believe I can eventually unlock it's secrets."

Taking a long pull and tugging on his bristly beard, the Conjuror smiles.  "I see a bath in my immediate future as well.  After that, I propose a celebratory feast, in honor of the Band of Four!" 

I get my clothes fixed and then get a bath and a room at the Jolly Toad.  Where are we partying? 
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 am

OOC: I wasn't interested in the arrow before, when it meant splitting up the party to get it. But now that we have it, I might as well hang on to it. 
OOC2: I will need some time to level up my character as well, pretty busy the next few days with work & school...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 pm

OOC: In order to ensure everyone has time to level up properly, I wait until we're done role-playing the "after party" to start adventure #2.

After the business of selling and buying is conducted, the party heads to the Jolly Toad. The familiar wooden interior welcomes you, like old friends. After securing their rooms and taking their baths, the heroes return to the common room a few hours later. The place is packed! Dozens of patrons are drinking and having a good time, singing along with Leron Windward (who is back on stage, just as he was the first time you visited the Jolly Toad) ... and he's singing a rather bawdy tale!

"A dragon has come to our village today. 
We've asked him to leave, but he won't go away.
Now he's talked to our king and they worked out a deal. 
No homes will he burn and no crops will he steal."

"Now there is but one catch, we dislike it a bunch. 
Twice a year he invites him a virgin to lunch. 
Well, we've no other choice, so the deal we'll respect. 
But we can't help but wonder and pause to reflect."

-- Do virgins taste better than those who are not? 
-- Are they salty, or sweeter, more juicy or what? 
-- Do you savor them slowly? Gulp them down on the spot? 
-- Do virgins taste better than those who are not?

Now we'd like to be shed you, and many have tried. 
But no one can get through your thick scaly hide. 
We hope that some day, some brave knight will come by. 
'Cause we can't wait around 'til you're too fat to fly."

"Now you have such good taste in your women for sure, 
They always are pretty, they always are pure. 
But your notion of dining, it makes us all flinch, 
For your favorite entree is barbecued wench."

"Now we've found a solution, it works out so neat, 
If you insist on nothing but virgins to eat. 
No more will our number ever grow small, 
We'll simply make sure there's no virgins at all"

(OOC: Words by Randy Farran)

OOC: Don't forget to subtract any costs that you incur (unless your cost of living level covers it already). 

As the bard plays, the heroes manage to get a look at the sign near the door. A few items have changed.

JOLLY TOAD MENU
Endless Stew (Kept Simmering 30 Years) … 5 cp
Aunt Polly’s Pudding … 1 sp
Vegetable Broth … 3 cp
Boilded Turnips ... 5 cp
Lamb Cutlets … 3 sp
Woodcock with Wine Sauce ... 4 sp
Simple Bread & Cheese … 1 sp
Brown Ale … 4 cp
Flaming Schnapps (Apple Brandy) … 1 gp

JOLLY TOAD ROOMS
Private Meeting Room (One Hour) … 5 sp
Private Room … 15 sp
Private Suite … 4 gp
Sleeping Space on Floor … 1 cp
Sleeping Space near the Fire … 5 cp

JOLLY TOAD AMENITIES
Bath (Cold) … 2 cp
Bath (Hot) … 5 cp
Chamber Pot (Loan of) … 2 cp
Stabling (with Grooming and Feed) … 2 sp
Laundry Service … 3 cp per article
Garment Repair … Varies

While some of the heroes peruse the sign and others enjoy the bard's tune, Laci Buckley (the barmaid) approaches the party and says "Oh, yer back! T'is great to see ya, again. Follow me, I'll getcha a table. An' what can I get for ya tonight?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:58 pm

"Ooooh, some stew, please! And flaming schnapps!" Elodie follows Laci to the table, eager for another bowl of the delicious stew...and a drink, even though she's never been much of a drinker.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Before Jeremiah departs he inquires about of few items of interest. "I would be interested in seeing some of your wares sir. I am looking for some new armor and a better bow, the one I'm using now has seen its better days. I also would like a quivers worth of arrows, a large leather sack, a few wide wide strips of leather and some supplies to cure meat. Oh, and now that I think of it a grappling hook..."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:08 am

Alpha Omega wrote:Before Jeremiah departs he inquires about of few items of interest. "I would be interested in seeing some of your wares sir. I am looking for some new armor and a better bow, the one I'm using now has seen its better days. I also would like a quivers worth of arrows, a large leather sack, a few wide wide strips of leather and some supplies to cure meat. Oh, and now that I think of it a grappling hook..."
"I think we can help you." Scratching his chin, he sizes you up and then retrieves two composite bows from the wall behind him. "Here, try these. See which one one you like better." As Jeremiah tests the bows, he steps away, returning a moment later with two quivers of arrows, a leather sack, a pile of leather strips, a sack full of salt and herbs, and a grappling hook. "Ah, which did you like better? Before Jeremiah can answer, another man arrives with two sets of leather armor. "Let's see if either of these will fit you." As Jeremiah tries on the armor, the old man tries to up-sell a second quiver of arrows. "If you keep a second quiver on your horse, then can keep the quiver you carry full, by replacing lost and broken arrows with arrows from the second quiver."

OOC: Go ahead and add the goods to your inventory and subtract the appropriate costs.

When Jeremiah is ready to leave, the old man hands him tiny pouch. "The next time you're salting some meat, try some of this with it ... on me. It's my own blend of herbs and spices. If you like it, you can buy more, the next time you're in."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:14 am

Glitz wrote:"Ooooh, some stew, please! And flaming schnapps!" Elodie follows Laci to the table, eager for another bowl of the delicious stew...and a drink, even though she's never been much of a drinker.
Laci promptly brings Elodie a large bowl of stew and a slender glass that is literally on fire! She blows out the flames and sets the order down. "Anythin' else I can get ya? Just let me know." When Elodie digs in, the stew still has that same familiar flavor, but is even better than you remember it. The brandy is very fruity and very sweet, but is definitely strong; after the first swallow, Elodie is already feeling the buzz.

Last edited by Malazek on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:33 pm

After Jeremiah finishes purchasing his gear he heads over to the barkeep to get his clothing repaired. Once this is done he will inquire about making a deposit in the party vault, then deposit 600 gold in it. On his way out he will give the bulletin board a look...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Maius sits down next to Elodie and orders the same as her, bowl of stew and a flaming schnapps. "Before we head back out, I'd like to find a library or something similar, to research some of the information I found while we were adventuring."
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:11 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Maius sits down next to Elodie and orders the same as her, bowl of stew and a flaming schnapps. "Before we head back out, I'd like to find a library or something similar, to research some of the information I found while we were adventuring."
Laci brings Maius are large bowl and slender glass, identical to those in front of Elodie. "Let me know if I can get ya anythin' else."

Maius remember there is a small library inside the city proper. Perhaps he should check it out sometime this week.

OOC: Seems the party is going to take a week of "down time." That might be the ideal time to do research. Will he be looking for some specific information?

Reflecting on what he found, Maius remembers the following ...

(From page 16) Talmut examine(s) the brickwork ... the composition of the bricks themselves ... the pattern they were laid in ... the mortar that holds them in place ... the impression left behind by the imperial stamp of the brick-layer ... Finally, he determines that these walls were constructed by Augustine engineers, using local materials (and probably local workers). It's not a typical stone for such a brick-layer, but the longer flatter dimensions of the individual bricks (as well as the imperial mark) give away the wall's origins ... it was built by the Legio Martis (the Legion of Mars).

(From page 22) Maius inspects the walls, he finds the names and ranks of the dead inscribed above each loculus, and determines that they are of August origin. These were imperial soldiers of some sort, but why they would build such a crypt  ... was this site reserved for military burials? Or did they all die at the same time?

Maius has heard tales of Legions that were unable to return home when the Empire was driven out, but if that was the case, they wouldn't have had time to build such an elaborate catacomb. Perhaps they retreated here when pressured by local resistance? Or maybe they were one of the few "defector" legions, who broke away from the main forces, long before their kinfolk were defeated. There is simply not enough information here to be sure ... but Maius definitely has enough to start with, if the opportunity arises to further research the matter.

(From Page 24) Maius looks around the space for symbols or writing, but doesn't find any ... he does, however, notice that the pillars are painted with narrow murals. Unfortunately, they are very faded and difficult to make out. They seem to portray important battles between the Legio Martis and other forces (each pillar telling the tale of a different battle). Maius stares at each pillar for several minutes and comes to the conclusion that four of the battles were against local "barbarians" (ancestors of the peoples of the Five Realms); two of the battles were against the forces of giants (fire giants on one pillar, giants in general on the other); another battle was against an army of undead; another against the armies of the Five Kings; and one pillar is too faded to make out. The last and most intriguing pillar shows the Legio Martis battling against another August Legion: the Legio Victrix.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Alpha Omega wrote:After Jeremiah finishes purchasing his gear he heads over to the barkeep to get his clothing repaired. Once this is done he will inquire about making a deposit in the party vault, then deposit 600 gold in it. On his way out he will give the bulletin board a look...
OOC: (From Page 26) Glancing around, Jeremiah spots the bulletin board next to the door; it is covered with slips of parchment, written by nobles and wealthy merchants looking to hire proven adventurers.

Taking a closer look at the board, Jeremiah sees there are also slips of parchment offering to sell or buy particular items, but most of the notes are looking for people to do specific jobs. There are offers of employment for bodyguards, caravan guards, and even a house guard. There is even one note looking for magical test subjects; it pays well, but sounds dangerous. There is a note looking for an "enchanted" crossbow, another looking for a "magical" sword. There are three looking to buy used adventuring gear. There is one looking to sell a used horse for 90 gold, another looking to sell a "Ring of Invisibility" for 12,700 gold, and one looking to sell a variety of scrolls for various prices. There is even one from a guy offering his services as a "troubleshooter who can get past any trap, through any door, and away from any adversary."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:13 pm

After Jeremiah looks the board over, he heads over to the Jolly Toad to join the others...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Elodie eyes the drink that Laci sets down in front of Maius and says, "I bet I can drink more than you, Maius."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:04 am

Talmut looks from Maius to Elodie, and then back to Maius.  "She just may, at that.  If you wish to use the notes I took in the throne room, you are welcome to them.  I would be very interested in any findings you make - the Augustine Empire is of particular interest to me.  Perhaps we could even endeavor on this project together." 

"Let us have Bread and Cheese at the table.", says the dusky foreigner, taking a moment to refill his pipe. "And I will have Lamb Cutlets and a Flaming Schnapps."

While Laci goes to fill the order, the Conjuror moves over to the minstrel and tips him a silver.  "Well played!"

Once everyone has a drink served, Talmut moves back to the table and proposes a toast.  "To the Band of Four!  May our fortunes continue!"

O.O.C. - Talmut will deposit all but 50 gold and change into the vault.  I also want to move up the Cost of Living chart, Poor to Average, can I do that?  I will amend all this when I finish leveling up...
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:25 am

O.o.C.: Thanks Mal, I logged on here tonite intent on searching our forum for the information to be researched. You save me a bit of time! Those are the exact things I wanted to research while we were here.

Maius looks at Elodie, already feeling the effects of this potent elixir, and decides this is not the type of drink to be swilled in a hurry. "No thank you. But, I will gladly buy another round for us all!" He pulls a few coins from his pocket for the barkeep and nods at Talmut's suggestion, "Your help with research would be greatly appreciated. Plus, we may find something you need. Myself, I have an insatiable curiosity for the history of this land."
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next