Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

+2
Malazek
151prooftattoos
6 posters

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" - Page 14 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:27 am

Swifthand wrote:Davin makes a quick count of the Terramancers that he see's when he peeks out the door.

Take 10 on Perception = 33

Mal - are any close to our door? Are they all far apart from one another? Just trying to get an idea of what we are facing here so we can work out an attack plan.

"Perhaps we should Send to our army and let them know we are here. Something like this..."

'Found secret path to Wise Stone, will attack from the inside. Continue marching to Wise Stone, attack from without to aid us within.'

"What do you guys think?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" - Page 14 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:27 am

Malazek wrote:At the moment Davin counts, there are 29 of them ... but some leave, and others enter, so their numbers keep changing. They are relaviely spaced out, walking alone or in groups of two or three.

There are 50 doors, atleast 20 feet from one another. (That means the chamber itself must be 64 squares in diamater). The Wise Stone is atleast 100 yards across, and atleast 100 feet tall at its highest point.

As Davin watches, two Sandbenders, dressed in the flowing robes and veils, enter the chamber from one of the doors to the left. They move with the Dwarves and away from the heroes, and exit through another door.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:28 am

Swifthand wrote:
Swifthand wrote:

"Perhaps we should Send to our army and let them know we are here. Something like this..."

'Found secret path to Wise Stone, will attack from the inside. Continue marching to Wise Stone, attack from without to aid us within.'

"What do you guys think?"

-Swift

O.O.C. - I can taste the fresh air - the end of our underdark days is near! Let's get this show on the road! This is what I think we have to do...

1. Straegis and Alex - you need to perfect/create the ritual to change the elemental alignment of the Wise Stone to Water. We have all the required components: Siquerod's notes, Sallowmane's notes, ritual book, and Teluric Templar, and Verity's Aqueus Templar. We also are hidden here - I think this is the perfect place to do the research. We will just bar the door and be quiet.

We need to do this FIRST! If we can change the alignment before us or our army engage the Terramancer's at the Wise Stone, it will severely depower them, and enpower our Aquamancers. Based on this, we should probably tell our army to wait for our signal to attack. Since Magic has been MIA for several days, you are gonna have to drive this bus, Mack - the Sending and Alignment rituals!

2. Perform the Ritual - We have plenty of ritual casters to aid this roll. Let's get 'er done.

3. Order our army to attack - At the completion of the ritual, our army should immediately attack, taking full advantage of the confusion. This means that someone will have to have the Sending ready to go when the alignment ritual is finished so both go simultaneously (unless the alignment ritual is gonna have a huge affect that the army will recognize from the outside...perhaps Jenna will "feel" the change, and that can be the sign to attack?). Meanwhile, now swimming inside the Tranquil Lake, we....

4. Attack from the inside - YEEHAW! Let's kill us some Dorfs (not Vanng, please)!

5. Go get some cool medals from Princess Leia for saving the day! They better not screw over Chewie...i mean Hound...this time!

If this course of action sounds good to everyone, make your appropriate rolls so we can get going!

Davin confers with the others, coming up with a plan of attack.

(Davin lays out the above in character...)

"Based on the plan, we should amend the Sending. How about something like this?"

'Found secret path to Wise Stone. March to Wise Stone, attack when Jenna feels the power of Water increase. We will attack from within.'

"Sound good?"

Davin calls Mordax over to help stand watch at the locked and barred door while the others work on the ritual. If he is needed, the Ranger will aid in the research of the ritual, or anything else.

O.O.C. - Mal, can you confirm that Jenna will definitely "feel" the ritual go off, considering her proximity to a Water nexus?

O.O.C. - Verity, should we OHOM the research or the ritual casting itself? Didn't you tell me that you have another Skill-booster now, too? Mal, some insight as to how we are gonna have to roll this out would be helpful here.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg will aid in the ritual.

OOC: Did we get an AP back from the rest? Let me know what rolls are needed if any.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Mal, can you confirm that Jenna will definitely "feel" the ritual go off, considering her proximity to a Water nexus?
OOC: I can neither confirm nor deny it; but it seems like a reasonable assumption. (So, probably).

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Verity, should we OHOM the research or the ritual casting itself? Didn't you tell me that you have another Skill-booster now, too? Mal, some insight as to how we are gonna have to roll this out would be helpful here.
OOC: Creating the ritual is going to require twelve Arcana checks, the DC for which will be incredibly high. Let's be clear here: this is a task of EPIC proportions.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), there is room here for "varying degrees" of success. And faliure. That is, it's not just a pass/fail scenario.

If the creation of the ritual fails entirely, nothing will happen; the ritual will simply be ineffective. If one or more successes are achieved, than the ritual will do something; what it does, exactly, will depend on how many successes are rolled ... and how many failures!

But you won't know the full result of the ritual's creation until the ritual itself is cast! Casting the newly created ritual will also require twelve rolls (because it's never been cast before, a simple single roll will not suffice). The actual success of the ritual will depend, again, on the number of successes and failures!

In other words, it's a risky endeavor to undertake. There's a possibility that you simply are not powerful enough to affect a change here. There is also the possibility that something world-changing will occur, and whether that's awesome or aweful (or somewhere in between) will depend on your performance.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:29 am

Malazek wrote:
151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Did we get an AP back from the rest? Let me know what rolls are needed if any.
After an extended rest, your AP automatically resets to ONE.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Gotta do some work this morning, I'll make a relevant post when I get back home in a few hours. I'm ok with the message for sending but why cant she send us a reply when it works (or doesn't)? One of them has to have the ritual. One other problem is without our resident spellstorm, Straegis doesn't have the sending ritual or the other one.

DM EDIT: The recipient of a Sendind ritual can automcatically respond, with or without the ritual. Also, if you guys have a message and magicspellz isnt back yet, I'll roll for Alex
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Let's move back up this passage a way, that they not hear the incantation." whispers Verity.

Verity will invoke OHOM when Straegis and Alex begin comparing notes [making rolls]. He will use Good Omens for the most critical [final?] roll. He will aid by praying for guidance in delivering the Queen's vengance. He will also use his knowledge of religion to offer insight in the creative, destructive, and transformative forces involved.

OCC: Outside of just rolling, we should figure out what magical dynamic will cause the change in elemental alignment. This should be good for a circumstantial bonus, maybe a very good bonus.

I feel like the Ronbelsletscans were on the right track with Limbonic Theory in that elemental energy does seem to be finite: As the rockbenders grow in power the other benders weaken. At least water and fire do, I'm not sure about air. Do we know their power was decreasing as well?

Also, it seems like we need to alter the flow of Awen and Numen around the Wise Stone. The 10 foot high sigils may have something to do with that.

We have alot of information on this subject already. Mal posted links at the bottom of the "People, Places and Things!" thread that will help with this.

Also, we have never reviewed Sallowmanes book or notes, and maybe Siquerod's notes either.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:30 am

Swifthand wrote:
Halcyon wrote:"Let's move back up this passage a way, that they not hear the incantation." whispers Verity.

Davin nods and lets everyone else retreat in the passage.

"Azzy, stay here with me just outside the passage in the room."
Davin takes up position next to the passage portal and the Angel, easily able to hear problems at the door to the Wise Stone proper and the discussion happening in the hall. Hound stands in the passage panting, silently watching the door opposite.

Take 10 on Perception, Stealth.

Halcyon wrote:Verity will invoke OHOM when Straegis and Alex begin comparing notes [making rolls]. He will use Good Omens for the most critical [final?] roll. He will aid by praying for guidance in delivering the Queen's vengance. He will also use his knowledge of religion to offer insight in the creative, destructive, and transformative forces involved.

Okay, hashed this out with Mal and Mack. We can't tale days to do this, our army can't hold forever, and we can't remain hidden forever. The Ritual Creation portion is 6 rolls for Alex and 6 rolls for Straegis over 6 hours. If we all Take 10 and Aid they will both be at a +26.

Verity should slap OHOM and Good Omens on the Ritual Casting Portion, because, if the Creation is successful, Casting could only be an encounter, not 6 hours. They would let them use OHOM for the entire Casting. If everyone went on Verity's initiative, they would get 2 rolls with Good Omens, 3 rounds if we all use an Action Point.

I will don Straegis' helm and turn it on a bit into the last hour of the Creation portion and get training in Arcana so I can give Crucial Advise (a reroll with a +5 as an Immediate Reaction). If I turn on the helm then, I can give Crucial Advise once on the last Ritual Creation roll and once on the Ritual Casting rolls. So, we have 2 Challenges before us...

Ritual Creation
Straegis and Alex both roll 6 Arcana rolls at +26 (this includes Aiding, 4 on Straegis and 3 on Alex) over 6 hours. On the last set of rolls Davin will turn on the Factorum Helm, get training in Arcana, and be able to give Crucial Advise to either Straegis or Alex.

Ritual Casting
Alex or Straegis then rolls 12 Arcana rolls over an encounter. Verity gives everyone OHOM for the entire encounter giving Alex +36 or Straegis a +34. On the first set of rolls Davin can give Crucial Advise to whoever is rolling. On any 3 rolls in a row, Straegis/Alex gets an additional +5 for Good Omens. So, for instance the last 3 sets of rolls are at a +41 for Alex or +39 for Straegis.

Sound right?

Halcyon wrote:OCC: Outside of just rolling, we should figure out what magical dynamic will cause the change in elemental alignment. This should be good for a circumstantial bonus, maybe a very good bonus.

I feel like the Ronbelsletscans were on the right track with Limbonic Theory in that elemental energy does seem to be finite: As the rockbenders grow in power the other benders weaken. At least water and fire do, I'm not sure about air. Do we know their power was decreasing as well?

Also, it seems like we need to alter the flow of Awen and Numen around the Wise Stone. The 10 foot high sigils may have something to do with that.

We have alot of information on this subject already. Mal posted links at the bottom of the "People, Places and Things!" thread that will help with this.

Also, we have never reviewed Sallowmanes book or notes, and maybe Siquerod's notes either.

Absolutely. I agree that Limbonic Theory seems correct, at least when applied to examples we have seen. Aodan Blast - he is powerful, but he is the only Firebender left, with no Fire nexi. As the Water nexi were destroyed or disappeared, their power waned. Perhaps we should use the trappings of Limbonic Theory in the "setting up" for the spell - the way the symbols are written, type of circle, placement of magical implements, cadence of spell chanting, ect.

I gotta read more. I agree it would be much cooler if the player's could describe a bit using all the good info Mal has given us.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
STONE wrote:"Unlike the surges described after the destruction of the PM and WO, and the surges witnessed after the deliberate destruction of the CoA and the CoBT ~ no surge was felt after the dissappearance of the ToH."

"Sinking the TUtW caused such a change in the LL. By comparing old LL maps to new ones, we can see how the LL broke free of their former N, and collapsed upon other N ~ often breaking past minor N and falling upon those of denser concentration, like the WS. ~ In this case, it's easy to see how the LL that once stretched to the TUtW now run through the CT and former location of the ToH."

"The most dramatic of which has to be the destruction of SP, which caused LL to fall great distances and to eventually be caught by the F, the WS, and then 7HoE. This strained the connection to the HToI, but even still the lines did not snap ~ At first, Mana through those LL ran thin, but over the years, the LL have gravitated on their own towards closer N of lower prominence."

"It remarkable to see the damage caused by the ignorance of the Swollen Eye. If they would have had the proper rituals when they cut down the WO, the Wyver Woodland (and indeed the Imperial Highway) would likely not be there today."

"It is as my grandfather suggested: the LL behave as if the ToH is still there. They have not collapsed even to the nearby minor N, let alone to denser more prominent ones like the CT or the 7HoE. They stretch toward the ToH and then vanish, myseriously, into the Malbog. Somehow, it IS still there."

"Taking the CT and the 7HoE all in one campaign was wise. If anyone saw what we were doing, they could easily have prevented it. The CT is like the anus of the BP ... which we have now wisely covered."

After having his turn reading the Book of Stone, Davin brings up a summary, for his own benefit, if no one elses.

"So...ley lines connect all the the nexi together in a vast spider web. The ley line web has a static amount of power, so, it you destroy a nexus, the web realigns and the surviving nexi all increase equally in power, splitting up the energy of the destroyed nexus. Originally, there were three major nexi of each element. Seven of the major nexi have been destroyed or, in the case of the Tower of Hydrology, disappeared."

"The Pyre Mound and the Wyver Oak were destroyed simply with damage, not using a ritual. The surges let loose by their destruction were huge."

"These surges were somewhat contained when The Colossus of Arkhosia, The Citadel of Bael Turath, The Tower Under the Waves (Umar), and Shadow Pass were destroyed because a ritual was used in their shattering. The realignment caused by Shadow Pass cut off some of the elemental energy from The Host Tower of Imil because the main ley line snapped right over a number of minor water nexi, hence, the gradual decline of the power of th Waterbenders of Imil."

"In the case of Talthanin, aka, the Tower of Hydrology, the ley lines act as if it is still there, though the nexus has seemingly disappeared. We also know that the timeline of historical records and fact don't line up when applied to Talthanin."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Another Imperial Library Book wrote:'Transconvergent Theory' suggests that Ley coming from the elemental Chaos to the ordered material of the world becomes Awen, but Ley leaving the ordered world becomes Numen as it returns to the elemental Chaos. This theory has been challenged (some would say debunked) by the Great Sage of Etol.

"Is Siquerod the 'Great Sage of Etol?'

"Straegis, could it be that Talthanin still exists in the Feywild? Mayhap the magical energies move freely between the Faerie Realm and our own. Could it be that the Eldrich Feywild transforms common Numen into elemental Awen?

"The Ronbelsletscan Alchemists know something of transmuting elements. Have we any notes on them?

"And what do we know of the ritual for destroying Nexi?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:31 am

Malazek wrote:OOC: To answer a few questions ...

Verity wrote:"Is Siquerod the 'Great Sage of Etol?'"
"Etol" became "the Imperial City" centuries ago and the book that mentioned the Great Sage was written before that (long before Siqerod was even born). He isn't the Great Sage.

Verity wrote:"Straegis, could it be that Talthanin still exists in the Feywild?"
Straegis entered this world from that very spot; in the Feywild, it is a mound of rocks known as the Cairn o' Talthe. The city of Anin (or Talth'Anin) does not exist in the Feywild.

Verity wrote:"Mayhap the magical energies move freely between the Faerie Realm and our own. Could it be that the Eldrich Feywild transforms common Numen into elemental Awen?"
Transconvergent Theory suggests that Numen changes to Awen (and vice versa) as the energies travel to and from the Elemental Plane of Chaos. Limbonic Theory suggests the Numen and Awen change ito one another frequently in the natural world, and that it's "possible" to elicit such a change.

Verity wrote:"The Ronbelsletscan Alchemists know something of transmuting elements. Have we any notes on them?"
None of their works were rescued from the library before it was destroyed.

Verity wrote:"And what do we know of the ritual for destroying Nexi?"
What you knows for certain is that the Dwarves used it. That's all.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: To answer a few questions ...

Verity wrote:"And what do we know of the ritual for destroying Nexi?"
What you knows for certain is that the Dwarves used it. That's all.

The Ranger answers with a question, eyes never leaving the locked and barred door separating the Companions from their legion of enemies.

"Have we checked Sallowmane's ritual book yet? I bet it is there; she was one of the Dwarves head nexus researcher. Reading through it may give us some insight."

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis' head spins, trying to get a grasp on all of this at once is taxing, even for him. He sits down with his own ritual book after locating Sallowmane's book plus all of her notes they procured, and gets to work. "Her handwriting is awful! Vangg, do your people write with their feet?" So much scribbling and nonsensical banter its hard to even determine the valuable information here, at first. Slowly, he begins to notice a pattern, most likely done on purpose to throw someone off. "Is this right?" he asks, "Could it be a trick?" he waits for a response before continuing, "No, the placement of words on the pages seems to repeat, look!" He's got it! Flipping thru the pages he eventually finds some things that look appropriate and decides to start there.
He spends his time combing thru Sallowmane's writings to figure out where each of the seemingly random notes fit in with the pages of the ritual book and/or how they apply. He shows his allies what he finds asking for their input, assistance and opinions. It begins to occur to him that both 'Transconvergent and Limbonic Theories' contain some truths. The problem, at least for now, is narrowing down which parts of each theory are most useful here and how to combine them to make a ritual with any chance of success.
His mind begins to wander, the infinite possibilities overwhelming him with ideas, he's almost in a daze. Suddenly he snaps back to reality, shakes his head and hands to revive himself and realizes he's holding his own scribing materials. "What the...?!?" everyone hears him say. He looks down at his own ritual book only to see that he has been writing, and apparently for quite some time. What is it? Is that another language? He recognizes it, sort of. All of the letters are correct but it's written backwards, completely! From the last page of the book going toward the front, from the bottom of each page going toward the top. He studies it carefully and realizes, its the beginnings of a ritual. He has never created a ritual, but after copying and performing enough of them, he is sure this is how they start! He shows what he has done to his allies and asks if they agree with his own assessment.

Arcana: 1d20=6+21+8(assist)=35
1d20=11+21+8(assist)=40,
1d20=18+21+8(assist)=47,
1d20=9+21+8(assist)=38,
1d20=2+21+8(assist)=31,
1d20=4+21+8(assist)=33

O.O.C.: I'm not completely sure how this process is supposed to go down, this was my interpretation of what I read. If its f'ed up, lemme know and I'll fix it.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Alright...when we see Alex's rolls, we can decide who to give Crucial Advise to.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:32 am

Swifthand wrote:Donning the Factorum Helm, Davin calls upon it's power. Like water filling a glass, suddenly his mind is filled with knowledge arcane. Strange secrets that were once nonsense become clear. Occult symbols that moments ago were gibberish are now perfectly understood. Where once the Ranger only grasped the principles behind their ritual in the broadest sense, now he see's the nuances and intricacies of the tapestry that Straegis and Alex have woven. With the exuberance only capable with newly attained secrets, Davin begins to confer with the others.

"Amazing work, you two! Though my knowledge of the subject is not as great as either of yours, even I can appreciate the masterpiece you have created. I did see something, however, perhaps an improvement. If you align the four elemental foci at the beginning of the ritual, place Earth in the most inferior alignment, and place Water opposite in ascendance, it should make that whole last step unnecessary."

Straegis or Alex can reroll their last Ritual Creation roll with a +5, due to Davin's Crucial Advice.

After the wonder passes, however, a feeling of dread creeps over the Elf. The enormity of their goal and the weight of the possible repercussions from their success settle on Davin's shoulders.

"We attempt to do what has never been done before. If we succeed, and this ritual were to fall into the hands of an evil or even misguided being, it could mean the unmaking of the World. Imagine if ALL the nexi were aligned to Fire. Would the World turn into a molten hell? That is the easiest to imagine, but dominance of ANY of the elements would be catastrophic and can not be allowed. Nature needs balance."

"This ritual is going to be sought by every nation, Elementalist, and power hungry despot in the World. It will be perhaps the most potent weapon created in this Age. The fact that there will be two written copies when we are done seems like two too many to me. Once word of what we have done get out - and it WILL get out - every spy and assassin in the World will be hunting us, and specifically you two. For the safety of the future, we should decide the fate of this ritual before we take the final step in it's creation."

"We could destroy the ritual after we cast it. I think this is the safest option. If it were truly necessary, I am sure you two could create it again, having done it once before. Another option would be to give a copy to the Emperor and the King of the Elves. Then, the Human Empire, the Eladrin, the Imilites, and the Elves would all have a copy, representing Water, Air and, if the Empire can retake the Seven Hills of Etol, Earth. Our nations are allies now, but who knows what folly future leaders will engage in? There is nothing like the threat of equal retaliation to keep all sides honest. Of course, the Dwarves and Sandbenders do not deserve a copy. They have already proven they can not be trusted. And there are no Fire nexi left - greed, war, and Nature sealed their fate long ago."

With deep concern etched on his face, Davin looks to each of his Companions. "What say you?"

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis steps to Alex with what he has written, showing it to him and trying to explain what he thinks it all means. "What do you have there from Siquerod? Should we exchange texts?" he asks as he hands the mage Sallowmane's book and notes and tries to explain her strange way of writing. "Perhaps an understanding of both of their knowledge, by both of us, is the only way to form a coherent solution?" Assuming Alex would switch with him, Straegis will sit back down and continue studying. "Davin, I believe you're correct about destroying the ritual, tho even with its destruction we'll probably still be hunted, just for our knowledge. Who knows, perhaps someday we could solve the riddle of what actually happened to Talth'anin?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Before starting on the ritual, Alex casts the Sending ritual and projects the agreed upon message to the troops: "Found secret path to Wise Stone. March to Wise Stone, attack when Jenna feels the power of Water increase. We will attack from within."

Jenna immediate responds with the following message: "Understood. Met opposition leaving temple-grounds. Reached tunnels. Little resistance on Undermountain-Road. Iron-Legion in pursuit. Still hours from Wise-Stone. Are we going the right way?"

OOC: Someone spend the components for the Sending ritual & let me know that it was done.

Straegis wrote:Straegis' ... sits down with his own ritual book ... Sallowmane's book plus all of her notes ... and gets to work. He spends his time combing thru Sallowmane's writings. ... 'Transconvergent' and 'Limbonic Theories' contain some truths.
Arcana: 1d20=6+21+8(assist)=35
1d20=11+21+8(assist)=40

Alex gets to work, using his own ritual books as a reference, and studying Siquerod's spell and notes. The spell Siqerod gave him proves to be especially helpful. Their friends and allies are an invaluable aid; finding and reading passages to allow the two arcanists to concetrate on the task at hand, without losing focus to find relevant data.

When they are finished, they take a moment to sip some water and have a snack. Then, they switch books; Alex studies Sallowmane's work and Straegis studies Siqerod's work.

I'm granting a +2 bonus for using BOTH sets of notes, a +2 for mentioning both theories.
That makes Mack's totals 39 and 44. Alex's rolls are 47 and 36

About two hours into in, someone tries to open the door into the small office. Finding it locked, they leave. Shortly afterward, the sound of hammering can be heard; stepping into the office to listen, Davin determines that the Dwarves are trying to seal them in. (It seems unlikely that they know for sure you are in here; perhaps word from the temple has made it this far, and sealing this door is merely a precaution?) No matter. The heroes are confident that they can re-open it when the time comes.

Straegis wrote:Straegis steps to Alex ... "What do you have there from Siquerod? Should we exchange texts?" he asks as he hands the mage Sallowmane's book and notes and tries to explain her strange way of writing. "Perhaps an understanding of both of their knowledge, by both of us, is the only way to form a coherent solution?" Assuming Alex would switch with him, Straegis will sit back down and continue studying.

The problem ... is narrowing down which parts of each theory are most useful here and how to combine them to make a ritual with any chance of success ... infinite possibilities overwhelming him with ideas. holding his own scribing materials ... he has been writing ... the beginnings of a ritual.
Arcana: 1d20=18+21+8(assist)=47,
1d20=9+21+8(assist)=38
After studying both sets of research, Alex and Straegis and everyone else discuss commonalities, and how to wade through what is useful and what is not. When a consensus is reached, they begin to draft the basics of the ritual. Soon, the need to move into the larger office becomes apparent; there just isn't enough space in the cramped hallway to work properly. So, they move, and continue working. Again, teamwork proves to be a great asset.

Mack's totals are 51 and 42. Alex's rolls are 37 and 35.

Straegis wrote:He looks down at his own ritual book only to see ... another language? What is it? He recognizes it, sort of ... but it's written. He studies it carefully and realizes, its the beginnings of a ritual. He has never created a ritual, but after copying and performing enough of them, he is sure this is how they [are] done.
Arcana: 1d20=2+21+8(assist)=31,
1d20=4+21+8(assist)=33
The remaining hours are terribly grueling; but in the end, you seem to have a workable ritual. Looking it over again and again, it seems close. There are still a few variables in the process and a few unknowns in the outcome, but this is the best anyone could hope for. Everyone looks it over again, trying to make sure nothing deleterious has been missed; but ultimately, everyone is mentally exhausted. No more can be done with it at this time. This will simply have to do.

Mack's totals are 35 and 37. Alex's rolls are 50* and 35.
*Was 34, re-rolled with Crucial Advice.

Straegis wrote:Straegis will sit back down and continue studying.
The next couple hours are spent (for a total of eight hours, now) are spent crossing their t's and dotting their i's, and trying to fully comprehend what they've done here (no roll necessary). In the end, neither has a full understanding of the ritual they've created, but hopefully together they can pull it off.

OOC: It normally takes 16 hours to just learn a ritual of this magnitude. Alex and Straegis have about 8 each, if you count the time spent creating it. So, with ohom, they just MIGHT be able to pull this off. (Some "trial & error" is normally needed to create a ritual, anyway. Even if this works, they could still spend months or years perfecting the details of the final ritual).

So, the totals for the SC (not including hidden modifiers) are : 39, 44, 47, 36, 51, 42, 37, 35, 35, 37, 50, 35.
Hopefully, that'll be good enough. The only way to find out for sure is to cast the ritual

Scribing the ritual costs 2600 gp worth of scribing materials. Do you have that many? Searching through Sallowman's desk produces around 250 gp worth; the heroes will have to come up with the rest.

In the end, the ritual requires both Templars, PLUS 1000 gp worth of alchemical reagents (or rare herbs; either will do).

It'll require an hour to cast, though both Arcanists know this is a quick & dirty version of what must be done. But that can't be helped. (If they survive to perfect this ritual later, the final version will likely require 8 hours of casting).

And it's gonna need to be cast from ATOP the center of the Wise Stone!
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:33 am

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:Verity should slap OHOM and Good Omens on the Ritual Casting Portion, because, if the Creation is successful, Casting could only be an encounter, not 6 hours. They would let them use OHOM for the entire Casting. If everyone went on Verity's initiative, they would get 2 rolls with Good Omens, 3 rounds if we all use an Action Point.
OOC: Okay, so, based on their rolls, the casting time will be an hour; not as quick as you had hoped, but still better than many hours.

The casting rolls will occur as follows:

1. Two at the beginning of the ritual (to draw diagrams, light candles, etc).
2. Then, two more just a few minutes into it (still setting up).
3. Then, two more a few minutes before the end (to finish all preparations).*
4. Then, two more at that same time (to start the chanting, mudras, etc).*
5. Then, two more half way through the ritual (still chanting and what not).*
6. Then, two more to finish the ritual (finishing all chants and mudras).*

*These last eight rolls are all within 5 minutes of one another. OHOM could easily affect all of them. Alternately, it could affected the first two, but that seems less useful (though, you can never predict the luck of the dice).

OOC: If the lead caster spends AP, they can either: set-up faster (rollings sets 1 and 2 in the same round) OR they can transition from ste-up to chant faster (rolling sets 3 and 4 in the same round). This will allow you to apply Good Omes to four total rolls. If everyone spends AP, they can also aid on all four these (two standards would be needed to aid the lead caster's two standards).

Normally, a single lead caster would be needed to make ALL the rolls; but since Straegis and Alex worked it out evenly between them (and you're casting a dirty make-shift ritual), I will allow each of them to roll. That is, each of them would roll of of the two rolls involved in each set. (NOTE: This is different than how I originally said it would work). But this is OPTIONAL; if you'd like to roll with a single lead caster, that would be fine too (though, Alex and Straegis will both need to be involved in the casting. Both could cast; or one could cast, and the other could aid). Whichever way you want to do it.

One last thing: Each person in the room needs to roll a a D100 and post the result. Also, the caster(s) need roll a D100 for each of the last three set of rolls (so, three D100 rolls). These are "just in case" there are unforseen effects. Not all of these will be used. I just want them to be rolled by you guys (not by me).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:OOC: Btw, rations are down to what's listed in your gear. The boxes and barrels you were carrying in the bags of holding have been devoured. You have been subsisting on cold Rothe meat for almost two days.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"We have to cast it from on top?!"

Davin thinks on the problem for a moment.

"Well, Azzy could fly us up there, some of us two at a time. I could be a "look out" and tell Azzy when best to take off. I don't think the Dwarves will be able to see us on top from the walkway below. Sound good?"

"I figure the light people could go together. Taal and Straegis, Juugug and Alex, Vangg, Mordax, Verity, and then Hound and I. I will rebar the door to give us some more time before I leave."

O.O.C. - Verity suggested someone go into the Bag of Holding for 2 trips, cutting the trips down from 6 to 5.

"I could use help on this door. Taal, you take the other end of the bar. Alex, Mordax, take these extra Slim Jims and slid them through the doorjambs. Azzy, slide my cloak through the bottom."

Thievery (to unbar the door)=45
Stealth (to unbar the door)=40

Before any further handling of the door, Davin uses the tiny vial of oil in his Thieves Tools to lubricate the hinge.

If we go with the above suggestion, I will take 10 on Perception for a 33, to aid Azzy's Stealth while flying, effectively choosing the right times to open the door and wave Azzy through and back. I'll take 10 on Stealth for a 30 to handle the door quietly and rebar the door.

d100=48

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:34 am

Halcyon wrote:
Straegis wrote:"Davin, I believe you're correct about destroying the ritual, though even with its destruction we'll probably still be hunted, just for our knowledge…"

“I agree that you and Alex would be hunted for your knowledge if we destroy the ritual. In fact, when word gets out it will launch a race to locate the two of you. Every leader from every land from here to the ends of the earth; from the grandest Emperor to the lowest Lordling will mobilize to find you. And when you are found if you do not share your secrets… your circumstances will become progressively worse. Power often breeds depravity. Certainly no Lord or Lady grew to power by being nice."

“Even if you are not found, once it becomes known that such a thing is possible others shall try. Those others may well not be so benevolent as you, friend Straegis. If successful such a mage could undo the good work we are about to achieve, Gods – willing. If a mage makes the attempt and fails, it could be much worse."

“I favor the idea of sharing the knowledge gained here. Let the leaders of Men, Elves and Eladrin decide what to do with it. It will be safer for the world, and especially the two of you.”

"Alex, should you wear the Templar for the casting?”
If so he'll hand it over.

"The Bag of Holding could save Azzy a trip if those who can fit within it are also humble. Bets we not leave anything to chance unnecessarily, here at the heart of our enemies might." He raises an eyebrow at Juugug and Tully.

OCC: Diplomacy to convince the Queen's Clerics that the old Bag of Holding trick is worthwhile: 32

Mal wrote:These last eight rolls are all within 5 minutes of one another. OHOM could easily affect all of them

And so it shall.

Mal wrote:If the lead caster spends AP, they can either: set-up faster (rollings sets 1 and 2 in the same round) OR they can transition from ste-up to chant faster (rolling sets 3 and 4 in the same round). This will allow you to apply Good Omes to four total rolls. If everyone spends AP, they can also aid on all four these (two standards would be needed to aid the lead caster's two standards).

Once the ritual is begun Verity will pray to Fate for Good Omens. The rolls for sets 3 and 4 will be at a total of +21 (+16 aid and +5 Good Omens) assuming people spend an action point to aid. Verity most definitely will do so and recommend the others do likewise.

% roll = 80
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote: "So here it goes friends, our time to gain fame immortal or die trying. Many thanks to all of you for your assistance thus far, without each and every one of you this tattered ritual would not be possible. Your help will be necessary again to see this deed to completion. We are required to ascend the stone and complete this task from its apex. Alex and I will first need Taal, Vangg, Juugug and Verity's assistances in setting up the actual ritual. We'll start on that as soon as the 6 of us reach the top. Understand that this implementation is most critical and will require extreme concentration and extra effort from everyone(*). Davin, I'll need you at the top for the set up as well with the helm on and your ability to assist if necessary.(**) Verity, after everyone reaches the top and just before the chanting starts can you link us all telepathically?(***) Every one else will need to rain down attacks on the dwarves who will certainly try to climb up and destroy us. Mordax, I need you to take this bow and use its lightning to stop them." Straegis gives Mordax a quick intro to the use of the bow and prepares himself to head for the top of the Wise Stone. "Alex, can you prepare the sending ritual to answer Jenna before we go, and Vangg please help her with directions? Let me know if you need components."

O.O.C: Okay, a rundown of whats going to happen, as well as bonuses associated:
(*)-For sets 1 & 2= Readied Actions for Taal, Vanng, Juugug, Alex and Straegis to go off on Verity's Init. He will use his Good Omens Paragon Power to grant a +5 bonus until the end of his next turn. All aforementioned allies will also need to spend Action Point on Standard Action to Aid Straegis, who will make 4 Arcana rolls at +34.
(**)-For sets 1 & 2= Davin may need to lend a Crucial Advise for one of the Arcana rolls, reroll with +39.
(***)-For sets 3 thru 6= Verity will invoke One Heart One Mind for the group, this will allow the total bonus for 8 more Arcana rolls to be at +37.
All remaining allies will need to provide cover until the ritual is complete.
Don't forget your d100 roll, one for everyone!
Mordax here is your bow:
+1 Lightning Greatbow
This weapon crackles with dancing lightning.
Lvl 5 +1 1,000 gp
Weapon: Bow
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 lightning damage per plus
Power (At-Will ✦ Lightning, "Fulgoris"): Free Action. All damage dealt by this weapon is lightning damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.
Power (Daily ✦ Arc Lightning, "Fulmineum"): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with the weapon. The target and each enemy within 2 squares of the target take 1d6 lightning damage.

Arcana(Sets 1 &2): 1d20=9+34=43,
1d20=15+34=49,
*1d20=5+34=39,
1d20=12+34=46

Reroll(*Crucial Advise): 1d20=5+39=44

Arcana(Sets 3 thru 6): 1d20=3+37=40,
1d20=10+37=47,
1d20=6+37=43,
1d20=14+37=51,
1d20=15+37=52,
1d20=6+37=43,
1d20=7+37=44,
1d20=8+37=45

D100 rolls(ritual): 1d100=36, 1d100=23, 1d100=45

D100 roll(Straegis): 1d100=20
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:"Alex, can you prepare the sending ritual to answer Jenna before we go, and Vangg please help her with directions? Let me know if you need components."
Unfortunately, Vangg has no idea where Jenna and the troops ARE. Nor has he ever been HERE before. With no frame of reference, he can't possibly provide directions. Still, if the the troops kept going the way they had been, they would eventually hit the Undermountain Road. Hopefully, the Wise Stone wouldn't be too far from there? But how would Alex convey such vague directions to Jenna and the troops? With any luck, Jenna will not only feel the increase in power when the Wise Stone converts, but she will also get a sense for the direction of it?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:"I could use help on this door. Taal, you take the other end of the bar. Alex, Mordax, take these extra Slim Jims and slid them through the doorjambs. Azzy, slide my cloak through the bottom."
Thievery (to unbar the door)=45
Stealth (to unbar the door)=40

Before any further handling of the door, Davin uses the tiny vial of oil in his Thieves Tools to lubricate the hinge.
With Taalgarnuk's help, Davin gets the door unbarred; with the help of Alex and Mordax and Azzy, they lower the bar to the ground as quietly as possible.

Davin oils the hinges and pops the door open just a smidge. Two guards have been posted, one on either side of the door; they don't seem to have noticed that the door is no longer secure.

Just as the heroes begin to discuss what to do about the sentries, there is a commotion outside. Cracking the door open again, Davin peaks out and sees that the two sentries are gone. The Terramancers are running now? A few run right past the door without noticing that it's unbarred or that it's slightly ajar. What is going on? More Terramancers are entering through the many doors than before, but they all seem to be heading in the same direction. A distant voice is shouting, but none of you can make it out (it's too far away for anyone but Davin to hear it, and he doesn't speak Dwarven).

So, the sentries have been fortuitously called away, but the pace of those on the walkway has become rushed. Is this good luck or ill? Regardless, it's time to fly.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next