Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" Empty Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Chapter One is done! Level up and then come here for the highly anticipated second chapter!

You all wake up the next morning in Yon's barn, wrapped comfortably in the neighbors' generous blankets.
A distant rooster hails the approach of morning, and a choir of finches sing the happy notes of morning.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:59 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg sits up and stretches.

"Me 'afta 'ave coffee! Yen 'ave coffee ye thinks? Been days w' no coffee an' me gonna lose me brains nigh soon 'nuff ..."

The dwarf looks around to see if anyone else is awake.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity awakes from a dream of plump and agreeable farm girls to find a goat gnawing on the leg of his breeches. “Begone ye flea-ridden beast, or it’s mutton for breakfast!” Then, rubbing his temples, “Aye Vangg, coffee sounds most agreeable, but then I really must pay my family a visit. Been over a year now. Afterwards mayhap we see a merchant to get a good price for the spoils we brought from the ‘Bog.” He kneels for a short prayer and then rises to see about that coffee.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity awakes from a dream of plump and agreeable farm girls to find a goat gnawing on the leg of his breeches. “Begone ye flea-ridden beast, or it’s mutton for breakfast!” Then, rubbing his temples, “Aye Vangg, coffee sounds most agreeable, but then I really must pay my family a visit. Been over a year now. Afterwards mayhap we see a merchant to get a good price for the spoils we brought from the ‘Bog.” He kneels for a short prayer and then rises to see about that coffee.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:03 pm

Swifthand wrote:Hearing voices, I come back into the barn having already been up for an hour, unhooking Verity's warhorse from the wagon and unloading everyone's gear.

"I plan to go to the wainwright in Brackwater to make some improvements to our wagon before we leave for the Imperial City. I would like to improve our team from two to four, so we won't have the problem we faced in the 'Bog if we lose a horse, but I don't think I have enough gold for three horses. There is also the matter of provisions for our journey. Two weeks worth should get us safely to our next stop, and then some. "

"I could, if there are no objections, trade the precious stones we have for the horses and provisions?"

Assuming there are no objections, I continue.

"Everyone's gear is next to the wagon. I would suggest we keep our destination secret. If anyone is after Straegis, we would be best to keep a low profile."

"Let's get on the road as soon as we can today. Meet at the Stewbowl at noon?"

I head over to the wagon with a silent wave to Kalee and her family as I drive off. My first stop is the wainwright - I ask him to cover the wagon with the best weather resistant material he has. I also want some extra parts - 1 wheel, 1 can of axle grease, patches and glue for the cover, and anything else small that he recommends. Finally, I want to have him switch the tack and harness to use a four horse team. I will stow the two-team tack and harness with the extra parts. I also tell him I need all this done this morning.

Next, I head to the horse trader and buy three of his best riding horses. I will use my passive Nature skill of 22 to pick the best three of the herd.

Then, I head to the general store and order our provisions. Two weeks worth for the six of us, and feed for the horses.

Finally, I head over to the Stewbowl, order some lunch, and wait for the others to join me.

O.O.C. - If anyone wants to join me for the trading, any help would be welcome. Mal, will you help me figure out how much this stuff costs, and how much I can get for the stones?

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
151prooftattoos wrote:The dwarf looks around to see if anyone else is awake.
The family is already up and moving; Yon and Yonnie already working the fields.

Halcyon wrote:He kneels for a short prayer and then rises to see about that coffee.
Enterting the kitchen with Vangg, the two heroes find coffee waiting for them ... along with eggs, potatoes, grits, and buttered bread.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:"... we would be best to keep a low profile." ... I head over to the wagon with a silent wave to Kalee and her family as I drive off.
On his way into Brackwater, Davin (and whoever is with him) are greeted by the friendly cheers of nearby farmers, waving with enthusiasm and yelling a good morning!

Swifthand wrote:My first stop is the wainwright - I ask him to cover the wagon with the best weather resistant material he has. I also want some extra parts - 1 wheel, 1 can of axle grease, patches and glue for the cover, and anything else small that he recommends. Finally, I want to have him switch the tack and harness to use a four horse team. I will stow the two-team tack and harness with the extra parts. I also tell him I need all this done this morning.
"Hmm. ... might take a couple hour,' Davin, but I'll get right on that for ya. ... have it ready just after lunch. It'll be about 4 gold coin,' but I gave ya a deal on account of you being one a the hero' and all."

Swifthand wrote:Next, I head to the horse trader and buy three of his best riding horses. I will use my passive Nature skill of 22 to pick the best three of the herd.
"Well, um, those are me best three ... but I guess you need 'em, eh? Ok, 75 a head."

Swifthand wrote:Then, I head to the general store and order our provisions. Two weeks worth for the six of us, and feed for the horses.
"Oh, that'll be 750 ... no, no ... let me see what I can do ... okay, 405 silver ... but don't tell an'one I gave ya such a deal, or ever'one'll want it."

(That's the cost of 3 squares a day for six people for two full weeks ... if you only get one-square a day and rely on your hunting and foraging to make up the difference, then it'll cost you only 135 sp).

Swifthand wrote:Finally, I head over to the Stewbowl, order some lunch, and wait for the others to join me.

O.O.C. - ... how much I can get for the stones?
The four gems are worth 100 gp each; the art was worth 250 gp.
Don't forget to buy more arrows
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - OK, so 279gp spent on party stuff and 650gp for the gems and art.

That leaves 371gp/6=61gp and 8sp per person, which I give to each of the characters when they arrive at the Stewbowl. I give the wainwright a 2sp tip for speedy service.

I buy 5 quivers of arrows (5gp) at the general store as well and a keg of ale (5gp/15.5 gallons) from the Stewbowl.

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:04 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis does go with Davin, not much interests him at the wainright but at the general store he asks
the shopkeep. "Would you have any writings of historical significance or perhaps any maps
that I could buy from you."
Straegis leans in close, then much quieter he says, "Might you
know where to find any books written in other tongues?"
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:05 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg sits and sips his coffee.

"Yar, me be WoeVangg da famous Priest o' da Queen ... me 'alp w' da keelin' o' da coven o' bog 'ags in da Mudbogs. Dey beens stealin' maidens o' da Bricksmashers an' cuttin off der skins an' wearin's dem as blouses an what nots! Me's an' me crews slays da troll armies, slays da crows dat spawns outta da Abyss, an' talks da muckerfolks inta bein' a good peoples! Me crew slays da twenty-headed bog dragons ta boot! Any adventurin's ... ors fortune huntin' types be walkin' dese parts? Or ye 'ave news o' fates nor fortunes, Sir Jiff or Ma'am Toe's?"
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis inspects the books carefully and realizing their value he asks, "Kind sirs, what would be the cost for both of these books?" Pointing toward the map case he then says, "How many maps are there total? If the price is fair, perhaps I will buy ALL of them."
Well, for you sir, I'd be willing to part with those texts for a mere 5 gold; the same price I paid for them (they've been cluttering my counter for a long while now, and I'd be more than willing to see them go)."

"Also, there are 30 maps. Some are of remarkable quality, but others less so. I imagine 20 gold would suffice for the lot of them, and I'd even be willing to include the case in the deal."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Malazek wrote:

"Yar, me be WoeVangg da famous Priest o' da Queen ... me 'alp w' da keelin' o' da coven o' bog 'ags in da Mudbogs. Dey beens stealin' maidens o' da Bricksmashers an' cuttin off der skins an' wearin's dem as blouses an what nots! Me's an' me crews slays da troll armies, slays da crows dat spawns outta da Abyss, an' talks da muckerfolks inta bein' a good peoples! Me crew slays da twenty-headed bog dragons ta boot! Any adventurin's ... ors fortune huntin' types be walkin' dese parts? Or ye 'ave news o' fates nor fortunes, Sir Jiff or Ma'am Toe's?"
"A twenty headed bog dragon?! Tiff says.
OOC: Drop a bluff check on that one!

Joe answers, "Adventuring fortune hunters? Indeed! Just lask week, my brother Jack left on an adventure into the Malbog! He hasn't come back, but I'm certian he's out there somewhere, slaying hags and dragons, and convorting with ... (what did you call them?) ... muckerfolks!"
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Malazek wrote:

Joe answers, "Adventuring fortune hunters? Indeed! Just lask week, my brother Jack left on an adventure into the Malbog! He hasn't come back, but I'm certian he's out there somewhere, slaying hags and dragons, and convorting with ... (what did you call them?) ... muckerfolks!"
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Malazek wrote:

magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:".. but then I really must pay my family a visit. Been over a year now. ...

Malazek wrote:Alex and Kardan decide to walk to Brackwater, travelling beside Verity as he leads (or rides) his steed into the village. Having eaten breakfast at the farm, they are in no rush.
Where to from here?
Alex and Kardan eventually make it to the Stewbowl (assuming they have no other stops in mind) where they join Vangg, Joe, and Tiff for a round of coffee.

Verity, on the other hand, visits the tall (but unattended) spires of the Raven Queen. Although the shrine serves as the village's main holy grounds for the Raven Queen, the closest thing they have to a real cleric is the undertaker. His name is Erog, and he isn't in attendance when Verity arrives. A few simple folk are here, praying for the ancestors.

Verity isn't technically a priest, either; he's a paladin. A holy warrior. A templar. But he IS invested. So, he says a few quick rites for the flock in need, and then pays homage of his own to 'da Queen.'

From there, he makes his way to his family's cottage.
With any luck, they will be home.

And they are.

His father, Genuit, is whittling on the porch as Verity rides into the yard. Dropping his wood blocks and knives, he springs to his feet. "Fidelity! Get out here! Verity is home!"

His mother comes barelling out of the house, infant in arms. "Oh, my dear Verity! You HAVE made it home! I prayed to the Queen that it be so!"

"Yes, son, how have you been this last year?" His father asks, "How goes your training? Certianly, your internship isn't over already? How long can you stay with us?
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:09 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Staegis eyes up the man and says, "Well sir, you may well be taking me for a rich man. I assure
you this is not the case, but I would like to purchase all of the items you have. Would you take 20 gp
for everything? Oh, and still throw in the fancy map case?"
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Staegis eyes up the man and says, "Well sir, you may well be taking me for a rich man. I assure you this is not the case, but I would like to purchase all of the items you have. Would you take 20 gp for everything? Oh, and still throw in the fancy map case?"
"Honestly, Master Straegis, that was already a considerable discount. Maybe I could offer the books, the case, and HALF of the maps for that price; mind you, that would still be a substantial bargain!"
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:10 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:"Ahh ... erm ... Jack? Jack o' Red? O' da Trushwoods or what nots?" Vangg says with a grim face.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Joe answers Vangg. "Yeah, that's him! Jack Larossa. Jack the Red. Why? Do you know him? How fares he?"
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:"Me hates ta be's da bearer o' bad omens, buts Jack o' Red done fell ta da arrow o' da bandits in da bog. Jack halped us fight da muckers an' gave 'is life dat we could survive. Brave soul be Jack o' Red ... me sorry ta be da one w' da ill tale for ye. 'e did tells me ta give ye dis ..."

Vangg pulls Jack's sword from his backpack and hands it to Joe.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:11 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis rustles through the coins in his pocket and finally pulls out all 25gp that the shopkeep had
asked for the items. He says as he sets the coins on the counter, "Sir you shall get your
full sale price for your goods, take no offense to my feeble attempt at bartering. Where I hail from, it is
an insult not to haggle price, and truth be told I need them all. Thank you sir and g'day."

Straegis puts all the items in his pack and says to Davin, "Wait til you see the quality
of some of these maps, surely we don't need all of them but better to have and not need than to need
and not have, eh?"
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:12 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin answers without looking at Straegis, suspiciously watching the streets of Brackwater for strangers out the shopkeepers window.

"Aveen." ("Agreed.")

Feeling unsettled, I pull my cloak hood over my head, hiding my face in the shadows.

"Straegis dothiel frest met tolthianan Stewbowl vetirian tobiath." ("Let us get off the streets and into the Stewbowl quickly, Straegis.")

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Malazek wrote:
151prooftattoos wrote:"Me hates ta be's da bearer o' bad omens, buts Jack o' Red done fell ta da arrow o' da bandits in da bog. Jack halped us fight da muckers an' gave 'is life dat we could survive. Brave soul be Jack o' Red ... me sorry ta be da one w' da ill tale for ye. 'e did tells me ta give ye dis ..."
Vangg pulls Jack's sword from his backpack and hands it to Joe.
Mumbling with his head hung low, Joe says "Ahht, ahht. Jack is ... dead? ... well .... at least he died with honor, performing his heroic duty. Thank you, for his bring his sword back. Since you're a servant of the Ravem Queen, I know his deaht won't go on unnoticed by her."

Tiff rubs Joe's shoulders, teying to console him.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis rustles through the coins in his ocket and finally pulls out all 25gp that the shopkeep had asked for the items. He says as he sets the coins on the counter, "Sir you shall get your full sale price for your goods, take no offense to my feeble attempt at bartering. Where I hail from, it is an insult not to haggle price, and truth be told I need them all. Thank you sir and g'day."
Straegis puts all the items in his pack and says to Davin, "Wait til you see the quality of some of these maps, surely we don't need all of them but better to have and not need than to need
and not have, eh?"
"Oh yes, I understand. My sincesrest apologies. Usually, I demand much higher prices; but I decided to forgo the formalities in order to give you the best deal I could. I meant no offense."

Swifthand wrote:Davin answers without looking at Straegis, suspiciously watching the streets of Brackwater for strangers out the shopkeepers window.
"Aveen." ("Agreed.")
Feeling unsettled, I pull my cloak hood over my head, hiding my face in the shadows.
"Straegis dothiel frest met tolthianan Stewbowl vetirian tobiath." ("Let us get off the streets and into the Stewbowl quickly, Straegis.")
Several shady figures do seem to be loitering in the streets, mingling between the perfectly normal peasants there ... under closer scrutiny (Passive Perception), Davin notices that all the shady folks are dressed vaguely the same: that is, they are all wearing nondescript brown and gray hooded cloaks ... and under the cloaks, they are all wearing tall, fancy boots with the kind of scrollwork and low-relief that commonly decorates boots of Eladrin make. Come to think of it, all of these "shady persons" are tall and slender, too.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:From there, he makes his way to his family's cottage.
With any luck, they will be home.

And they are.

His father, Genuit, is whittling on the porch as Verity rides into the yard. Dropping his wood blocks and knives, he springs to his feet. "Fidelity! Get out here! Verity is home!"

His mother comes barelling out of the house, infant in arms. "Oh, my dear Verity! You HAVE made it home! I prayed to the Queen that it be so!"

"Yes, son, how have you been this last year?" His father asks, "How goes your training? Certianly, your internship isn't over already? How long can you stay with us?

Verity rides up the path at a gallop and dismounts as Zephyr skids to a halt on the cobbles leading up to the stately home. “Mum, Da, it’s been far too long.” He embraces them. “It’s good to be home. Indeed my apprenticeship to Jugugg the Goblin is through, though it be only the beginning of my devotion to the Queen. I continue my studies in the company of another Cleric, Woe Vangg. A wizened old dwarf is he. Indeed wise enough to be suspicious of a young newcomer like me. I’m earning his confidence though, and already it is clear that his understanding of the Queen is both deep and broad. We’ve been traveling ‘mongst a fine crew of fellow adventurers…Pha! Listen to me carry on. What of you? How fare ye? What of Felicity, Chastity, Frater, Constance, Fortis, and Infidus?” He scoops up the infant, “And who have we here? What is your name little one? A fine portent that the world was fated another Servinus.
“We’ve so much to speak of; I feel that as much has happened to me in this year since leaving as ever happened to me my whole life before.” Then his shoulders sag a bit, “I fear however, I cannot stay long. One of my comrades needs my help urgently, a high-blooded Elladrin he, for there is a war in his land and many lives are in the balance. I have but a few hours and then, regrettably, I must hasten to the aid of the noble fey. By the Queen, it IS good to see you.”
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next