Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

3 posters

Page 35 of 35 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35

Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 35 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg ditches his spell.

Follow, follow . . . RUN, run~~~~
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 35 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Malazek wrote:OOC: "One Heart, One Mind" only reahces 20 squares, but barely a round has passed by the time the group starts to head up the steps ... so Davin could've been in range still.

That being, it doesn't take Davin very long to exit the OHOM range. In fact, he is out of communication range LONG before he reaches the steps.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

At a run, it will be 212 rounds before the party is 32 squares from the top.
In 48 rounds, Alex's wall will come down.
In 22 Rounds, Davin will be face to face with the northern Orcs.

I am curious to see whether Mordax and Alex follow up the steps, or wait at the bottom for the Orcs to get through.

But, since Davin will reach his Orcs 26 rounds sooner, I'll describe that scene ...

Davin
Round 22

Davin runs north under the cover of darkness. As he sees the Orc's light approaching, he takes cover and hides. It's a smaller group than before, so Davin quickly surveys the situation. After seeing the last Battlerager in action, Davin has no trouble picking this one out. The leader is also different.

In fact, the leader isn't even an Orc! It's a Half-orc, carrying an unusually heavy crossbow. There appears to be another strange contraption strung across the half-orc's back, as well.

Furthermore, a massive Worg travels at his side! Davin knows Worgs can see in the dark. He also knows they can speak.

In a mere moment, the Orcs will reach the furthest extent of Davin's bow range.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 35 AVPGIn9

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 35 Blackwolf-1
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax hesitates, waiting for some sign of Davin's return. Using the measured beat of his warrior heart, he counts down until he thinks he'll be in earshot of Davin should he encounter trouble upon his return.

OOC: On round 28 Mordax proceeds up the stairs at normal move. Not sure what check to make actively listening for sounds of an elf in trouble; figure ringing steel prolly travels far down here.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Along the climb the knight suggests "Let us clear the way through the riddle door from whence we came, we know we'll not be attacked there. Then when the way is clear, we can double back to the top of this stair and make certain Davin reaches safe haven.”

When the group approaches the top of the stair, he'll take a moment to listen for the ranger's approach. Assuming he hears nothing, Verity stows his shield and says “I’m ill-suited to this, watch that I don’t misstep.”
Praying all the way, he moves silent as a ghost to the door.* There he listens for anyone in the passage beyond. If he hears no one he will attempt to pick the lock.

Perception for Davin: 20 (+aid)

Stealth: Natch for 22 (+aid)

Perception: 12 (+aid)

Thievery: 14 (+aid)

OCC: If 4 people aid that will bring the totals up by +16. Verity can wait awhile for the help if anyone is somehow initially distracted.

OCC2: * Probably the knight in platemail moving silently shocks the heck out of everyone. That’s Verity’s second natch’ed Stealth roll which is kind of hilarious.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:36 pm

Swifthand wrote:Seeing the Worg, Davin will simply head back and join the others, hoping his bloody ruse is successful.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:36 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex's silence returns and he follows Verity up the stairs. His mind partitioned to keep the wall burning fiercely. He attempts to help Verity in the challenges ahead.

--------------------
Invisible Castle is down. So you can roll my aid attempts for me.
Stealth: +6
Perception: +9
Thievery: +6
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:38 pm

Malazek wrote:
Mordax wrote:Mordax hesitates, waiting for some sign of Davin's return. Using the measured beat of his warrior heart, he counts down until he thinks he'll be in earshot of Davin should he encounter trouble upon his return.

OOC: On round 28 Mordax proceeds up the stairs at normal move. Not sure what check to make actively listening for sounds of an elf in trouble; figure ringing steel prolly travels far down here.
Davin wrote:Seeing the Worg, Davin will simply head back and join the others, hoping his bloody ruse is successful.
On round 27 ...
Davin rejoins Mordax at the foot of the stairs; the hot liquid wall still burning a few feet over. The others are only a few minutes ahead, so the two stalwart adventurers head up after them.

Just a couple minutes later, the light below dims dramatically and a commotion is heard; the wall must have come down. Seconds later, the light goes out entirely. Mordax can see nothing but a distant beacon of light, shining down from higher on the steps.

A shortwhile later, Davin hears the faint sound of another horn ... but nothing can be seen or heard directly behind him on the stairs.

A few minutes later, Davin begins to make out individual party members, climbing above. Less 20 minutes after starting the climb, Davin and Mordax have caught up to the others.

Verity wrote:Along the climb the knight suggests "Let us clear the way through the riddle door from whence we came, we know we'll not be attacked there. Then when the way is clear, we can double back to the top of this stair and make certain Davin reaches safe haven.”

When the group approaches the top of the stair, he'll take a moment to listen for the ranger's approach.
Turning back to listen for his companions, Verity is surprised to see Davin and Mordax emerge from the darkness. Because of the accelerated climb, it has been just over 20 minutes since you left the tunnel below, and you are now only 160 feet from the top.

There are no lights, no sounds, no signs of pursuers on the steps behind you.

FYI: OHOM is obviously no longer functioning (it has been well over 5 minutes).

OOC: I am going to reward the party with 267 Xps each. Even though few rolls were needed, I am going to award this as a Skill Challenge; it seems to me that the party's creativity (casting the wall to buy time, creating the bootprints to misdirect, etc) basically replaced the need for skill rolls, but it accomplished the same task nonetheless. So, that brings the party to 20,931
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: We can rest / level then? Very Happy
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:OOC: I think Verity was planning on opening this door, and then trying to answer the riddle that opens the door across the hall, so that you might rest easily in the same room where Snorri was interrogated.

But you could try to rest here; either before opening the door, or instead of opening it. A short rest, right here, would be easy enough (assuming nothing else comes along to interupt your rest).

An extended rest might be a bit tricky, though, considering you're on the stairs. But I guess, if someone has a plan to stop anyyone from rolling down the stairs in their sleep, that sleeping here is possible (again, assuming nothing else comes along to interupt your rest; of course, the longer you stay, the more likely it is that something will ... but this spot is a rather remote deadend, so maybe nothing will have cause to travel this way).

Considering nothing can be seen or heard on the stairs behind you, a short rest seems like a prudent idea; so, rather than waiting several RL days for intraparty deliberation, I'll just make an executive decision ...

The party takes a brief moment to catch their breath. Still, nothing can be seen or heard from the stairs below. So, that moment lingers, becoming minutes, and still nothing. The previous sense of urgency seems diminished. Before long, it has been five minutes, and the heroes are feeling somewhat refreshed.

So, yes. Spend surges. Regain Encounter Powers. Level Up!

Now, the party must decide: take an extended rest here and hope for the best ... or ... press on through the riddle doors, and hope for the best.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:39 pm

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:Behind the silence-door, a shadowy tunnel of similiar width and construction stretches on another hundred yards or so ... to where it meets a wide marble staircase that descends into the depth and darkness of the earth's bowels.

O.O.C. - I went back to pg 47 to refresh my memory as to the description of the top of the stairs. There is an empty football field sized tunnel between the riddle door and the staircase! I say we move 20 yards in from the stairs and camp for the night. We are going to be spending many nights in the underdark, and the top of the stairs, though not as safe as retreating further beyond the riddle door, seems pretty safe to me.

"Let's just camp here, guys. We could all use the rest."

O.O.C. - Assuming we do...

"These gauntlets would suit your piecemail nicely, Mordax. I picked them up off the Orc Captain."

Malazek wrote:Cap'n Tarng's Spikebacked Gauntlets
These steel gauntlets have nasty drill-like spikes protruding from the knuckles.
Item Slot: Hands (Level 10 -- 5000 gp)
Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Opportunity attacks.
Power (Encounter): Immediate Reaction. Use this power when an adjacent enemy hits you. Make a melee basic attack against that enemy.

O.O.C. - Everyone else agree that these would best serve Mordax?

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:"Let's just camp here, guys. We could all use the rest."
Juugug mumbles something that sounds suspiciously like agreement, and then collapses into a seated position againts the wall. Kersh drops Snorri with an absent-minded, yet clearly painful, thud and then haggers* down to a prone position.

*Haggers. I just made that up. It's like a cross between haggard and staggers. I guess.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex settles himself down and opens his book, with Etolic Myths and the Codex of Rock magic open around his crossed legges, and his Spellbook upon his lap. He spreads out the napkins from Siquerod in front of him.

After a while of study he says "Aha! Finally. A breakthrough. That Siquerod was some wizard. Clever mage...clever mage" He mumbles and then goes back to his silent perusal of books.

After a while he closes his books and asks, rather directly. "Azzy. What did you do with the souls you collected?"
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:40 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg curls up in a corner and his eyes begin to close.

"Straegis, ye ones o' dem not sleepers . . . ye keeps ah looker outs fer . . . mmph . . . yeah, good wizards . . . bedamn go'bins an' what nots . . . hmph . . . " Mumbling, the dwarf drifts off to sleep.

Vangg has a vision as he dreams: It is of healing the whole party at once instead of just one single friend.

OOC: Heck ya - Mass Cure Light Wounds. Next level - Radiant Servant path!
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Seeing how exhausted everyone is, Verity prepares his bedroll. He'll offer Kersh a bit of dried fish and check the knots that bind Snorri.

"Rest well, Azzie. I take it your hunger was sated with the souls?" he asks the death angel.
Alex's question gets his full attention as well.

After he'll doff, clean. polish and oil his armour, taking advantage of the relative safety before the perilous journey North to the dwarven lands.

He'll pray alone or with his bretheren before turning in.

When he does, sleep eludes him for a long while, his mind a whir with possibilities: Will Snorri try to betray the cause? How easily might the Ogre’s loyalty be turned? Will the Kobold’s trail lead them far along this populous road, dense with hazards? What will become of the rapidly growing death angel, his charge, having gorged himself on death? When they get to the Wise Stone will they be able to destroy it without destroying themselves?

OCC:
Mordax, did you use your potion of vitality? If so, take one of the two undistributed.
Davin is in possesion of the other, which I feel is fine given his mobility and the slow speed of our healers.
If we have an extra, Alex's [lack of] hit points make him a good candidate for it.
Verity just aquired a close burst 3 daily power that will let everyone make a save against every effect a save can end. So next time you're blind, dazed, slowed and want help, try to get in range and he'll try to get centered between victims.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:"Azzy. What did you do with the souls you collected?"
"I ate them, saving them from the one-eye, and sending them off to be with the Queen!" Alex notices that Azzy's ability to speak has become much clearer.

Verity wrote:"Rest well, Azzie. I take it your hunger was sated with the souls?" he asks the death angel. Alex's question gets his full attention as well.
"Yes, but now my arm hurts." Verity notices that Asraelbenzariel is cradling his right arm, as if in great pain.

Verity wrote:Seeing how exhausted everyone is, Verity prepares his bedroll. He'll offer Kersh a bit of dried fish and check the knots that bind Snorri.
Eagerly, Kersh accepts the portion of food, and gobbles it up straight away.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin puts Snorri's boot's back on and spreads out his bedroll. Then, the ranger lies down as Hound curls up at his feet.

"So Kersh, what's your story?"

O.O.C. - I will gladly add the Potion of Vitality to Davin. Did that one and the one that Mordax is adding come from the "undistributed loot" list? If so, I will edit.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Davin wrote:O.O.C. - I will gladly add the Potion of Vitality to Davin. Did that one and the one that Mordax is adding come from the "undistributed loot" list? If so, I will edit.

Yes it did.

"Yes, but now my arm hurts." Verity notices that Asraelbenzariel is cradling his right arm, as if in great pain.

“Vangg, come look at this.”
Verity carefully inspects Asraelbenzariel’s bony arm.
Heal:29
Religion:23
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:“Vangg, come look at this.”
Verity carefully inspects Asraelbenzariel’s bony arm.
Isn't Vangg already asleep?

Verity examines Azzy's arm, and finds a disturbing discovery; his upper right arm is strangely elongated, while his forearm and wrist are swollen and bloated, making the entire limb resemble a weird boney mantis appendage! His left arm, however, appears normal (well, as normal as a skeletal angel's arm can be, I guess).

Davin wrote:"So Kersh, what's your story?"
"Hrm? Kersh story?"

After Davin explains what that question means, Kersh finally answers, "Kersh an' Kersh's brutha huntin' one day, when Kersh's goat go runnin' off inta da caves. Kersh follow, but Kersh's brutha not. He say 'Kersh, don' go in dere! It be dark,' but Kersh not listen; Kersh mean t'get goat back."

"So, Kersh follow goat, but Kersh no see. Too dark. Kersh never fin' goat. 'Den, Kersh get lost, an' can't find way home."

"Kersh roam 'round dark, lost an' lonely, 'til one day he wakes up ... an' he's workin' fer da 'lithid. Hmm. Kersh no rememner 'greein' ta work fer no 'lithid. Anyways ..."

"Kersh meet new frien's! Mandibular, Zek'kus, an' Loya. An' dey all work fer Isquithild. But, Kersh new frien' not really like Kersh. Dey make fun o' him an' let him not see. Kersh no like Mandibular, Zek'kus, an' Loya! Kersh no like Isquithild!! Kersh happy when new new frien's save him. Kersh have new frien's now: frien' Hound, frien' Alex, frien' Verity, frien' Vangg, frien' Juugug, frien' Straegis, frien' Mordax, frien' Azzy, frien' Davin, and not-frien' Snorri!"

"Then, Kersh an' new frien's beat up meany Orcs. Kersh sad he not get ta eat orcs (only friend Azzy get ta eat orcs, but he leave all da meat on da bones), but dat's okay. Beatin' up orcs fun, too."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:42 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex nods at Azzy's explanation, and joins in the examination of the crazy arm...worrying. Alex hopes his...interferance...had nothing to do with it.

After listening to Kersh's story he sets down to sleep in the centre of the group. "Indeed, a great tale. You fought very well."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:42 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis too looks at Azzy's arm, after inspecting it closely, he tells everyone to get a good nights rest and that he will take up watch. He splits the time he is not resting studying the books he got in brackwater and going over the drawings that Raed put in the front of his spellbook.

History(arm): 1d20=12+16=28
Arcana(arm): 1d20=8+16=24

O.O.C.: Yeehaw, 10! I will level later- gonna go get drunk I think. Mal, do I need to roll any perceptions to keep a keen watch, or can I just take 10's all night? Maybe with a few assists from my posse on how to watch and what to listen for?
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 pm

The Witch-King wrote:The fisherman, looking his age in the dim, smoky light, collapses to the ground and begins scouring his weapons and gear. Adding the gauntlets from the dirty beastie, he pays special attention to buffing out the pits, coarse hair, and parasites.

"Aye, an' we're in it fer sure, says I." he mutters.
"I'll tak' firs' watch wi' Verity, methinks, as it's likely that tha' orcs'll caem on us wi'in tha' firs' hour or twa' if'n all."

OOC: Gauntlets and potion added to inventory. Still need to pick a utility power, but character gone over with fine-toothed comb. DM, if you ever have a moment, please proofread as there have been significant changes. Never was good at math.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 pm

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:Straegis too looks at Azzy's arm ...
Never before has Straegis heard of anything like it ... but his knowledge of the arcane leads him to suspect many possibilities.*

*It's a Religion check.

Mordax wrote:"I'll tak' firs' watch wi' Verity, methinks, as it's likely that tha' orcs'll caem on us wi'in tha' firs' hour or twa' if'n all."
Weary of danger, Mordax waits up awhile as most of his companions drift off to sleep (Straegis, of course, is still up, studying his various tomes and manuals). Eventually, even Mordax must succumb to the call of sleep.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:Straegis too looks at Azzy's arm ...
Never before has Straegis heard of anything like it ... but his knowledge of the arcane leads him to suspect many possibilities.*

*It's a Religion check.

Mordax wrote:"I'll tak' firs' watch wi' Verity, methinks, as it's likely that tha' orcs'll caem on us wi'in tha' firs' hour or twa' if'n all."
Weary of danger, Mordax waits up awhile as most of his companions drift off to sleep (Straegis, of course, is still up, studying his various tomes and manuals). Eventually, even Mordax must succumb to the call of sleep.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Malazek wrote:Chapter Four is Complete. The Story Resumes here.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 35 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35