Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

3 posters

Page 34 of 35 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 34 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:24 pm

Malazek wrote:Round 10 Recap & Resolution ...

Init 26
Juugug hits the Berserker with another Lance of Faith.

Init 19
Suddenly, Straegis's attacks erupt into a frenzy of rapid strikes, spilling a shocking amount of blood from the raging Orc; the warlord then calls for his comrades to take advantage of the surprise evident in the yes of the foes ... Mordax and Kersh comply.

The Bloodrager is Bloodied, again.
Kersh's Attack: 26 vs AC, 17 Damage; the BR is Prone.
Mordax KILLS the Captain

Init 13
Verity continues his assault on the Bloodrager's strength. The Orc, however, has not given up; again he finds the energy to attack Verity's grieves.

BR Attack: 14 vs AC; Miss.

Init 9
A beam of Searing Light shoots from Vangg's fingertips, striking the Bloodrager face and burning his eyes.

BR is Blind.

Init 8
Reinforcements draw nearer. The sound of their heavy boots echoing down the hall, so they seem to be coming from bother directions ... wait, is that another light, flickering from the distant north?

Init 6
Azzy flies back to the stairs.

Init 5
Alex proclaims that he can hold off the approaching Orcs, and creates a wall of fire to block the way ... and then promptly collapses from the strain such magics have put on his body.

Mordax slips between the boxes and drops his heavy hammer on the flattened Bloodrager.

Kersh slams his heavy flail on the Orc, as well.
30 to Hit; 17 Damage.

Like the fisherman, Hound turns his attention to lone surviving enemy. And like the warlord, he unleashes a flurry of attacks on the fallen Orc.

Sensing that Victory is near, Davin fires two arrows into the Bloodrager. Hopefully, yhis will finish him off ... but somehow, it doesn't! Still, the berserker fights on!

Init 4
With determined ferocity, the last Orc lashes out at the Verity with battered waraxe, despite burning from the holy floor ... his attack cleaves the front of the box Verity stands on, but that isn't even enough to cause a stagger, let alone a wound.

8 vs AC (jeez. That total is less than his normal Attack bonus!
Good job with the applied penalities, guys.

Onto Round Friggin' 11 ...

Round 11 ...

Init 26
Juugug slays the Bloodrager.
OOC: BR had only 1 HP left.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 34 PqGqNbr

What're we doing? You guys going to run? Hide? Stand your ground?

DM EDIT: Oops, I just noticed the Davin mini says "Mordax" (there are two Nordax's on the map). Hehe, must have been a copy & paste error
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 34 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:25 pm

Malazek wrote:OOC: Btw, that 567 XPs Each (bringing you to 20,664 total). That's enough for 10th level, but you can't level up until the "Encounter" is officially over (that is, until after you've had a short [5 minute] rest).

When you do level-up, 10th level is a big level: HPs, a Utility Power, a Feat, and +1 to half-level (affects attacks, defenses, initiative, skills, and ability checks)!!
Swifthand wrote:Springing into action, Davin loots the bodies of the Captain and the Bloodrager while looking to the north and south, trying to determine the amount of time we have and the amount of adversaries that are headed our way.

Take 10 Perception = 31

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:looking to the north and south, trying to determine the amount of time we have and the amount of adversaries that are headed our way.
Take 10 Perception = 31
Judging by the lights and sounds, Davin guesses the Southern Orcs were only hundreds of feet away, while the Northern Orcs were about half of a mile off. (The first should close that distance in about 15 rounds, but could do so in 11 if they chose to pick up the pace; the second group could take anywhere from 33 to 44 rounds).

Davin wrote:Springing into action, Davin loots the bodies of the Captain and the Bloodrager
Most of the orcs have very little, save for some stale hardtack and jerkied bits of horseflesh; the Bloodrager, included. The Captain, however, had an interesting item ...

Cap'n Tarng's Spikebacked Gauntlets
These steel gauntlets have nasty drill-like spikes protruding from the knuckles.
Item Slot: Hands (Level 10 -- 5000 gp)
Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Opportunity attacks.
Power (Encounter): Immediate Reaction. Use this power when an adjacent enemy hits you. Make a melee basic attack against that enemy.

DM NOTE: This is the same effect the BR kept doing through the battle, though he could do it at-will. The Captain, you'll notice, only did this once (that was his use of the item encounter power)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Juugug goes over to check on Alex.
First Aid check = 33!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:While Davin's looting, Verity approaches the dwarves and tears the gag off Snorri.
"You were saying?"
And telepathically, "Vangg, you read people well. See if his words ring true."
Verity will aid an insight: 12 total for +4
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:26 pm

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:While Davin's looting, Verity approaches the dwarves and tears the gag off Snorri.
"You were saying?"
And telepathically, "Vangg, you read people well. See if his words ring true."
Verity will aid an insight: 12 total for +4
Snorri explains that he could've helped in the battle against the Orcs.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex's eyes flutter open, seeing the blazing film of water still active, he heaves a sigh. He heaves himself up and brushes the blood from his face with a casual wave of his hand. He puts his hands to his head and groans as he walks over to the wall, stumbling a little. Closing his eyes to clear his mind, He lifts his ahnds to check on its energies and ensure the mana is flowing smoothly. Pleased with his work, he continues to regard it as he speaks to the group.

"What is the plan? I can hold this for five minutes. He turns to regard the points of light on the horizon, moving ever closer. "Perhaps we could..." He sends the rest telepathically. "Perhaps we could wait until the furthest party arrives, then dismiss the wall and somehow cause the two groups to battle each other...or, or we could run...I doubt we could fight...or, perhaps we could play dead? Hide our most potent valuables and lie on the ground as if dead, we could even create a false trail leading up the stairs. Does anyone else have any idea's. We are in trouble."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Juugug responds, "Pit da groups 'pon ch'other? What if dey be o' da same clan? Dey are answerin' da horncall, ain't dey? Won't dey be knowin' dey're pack brutha's fer who dey are?"

"If'n we plays da dead, dey might check t'see if we breath ... but we could hides our goodies in dese 'ere boxes."

"Beforged trails an' whatsnot work when de followers 'ave sniffers or trackers. Is we hopin' dey 'ave dose?"

"Mayhaps we cin dress up in ork cloths, an' an play da orks 'stead da dead? Nah, Vangg an' Verity be too ugly to dress up as Orks."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"I will make a false trail to hopefully throw the Northern group off ours. I will also cull the herd a bit. I think our best bet would be to retreat up the stairs and face them all there."

Davin will slip off Snorri's boots and run over to the next Northern staircase. Once there, he will coat them in fallen Orc blood (there should be a few minion bodies there, this is where Davin originally started to shoot down Orc group 1), and make an obvious trail of bloody Dwarven footprints up the stairs.

Perception (Tracking, create false trail)=36

Satisfied with the false trail, Davin will move further North down the hall until he is 50sq away from the Orcs, and begin sniping them down. I will kite them back toward my trail, attacking from the darkness. If the Orcs run towards me, I will run away from them, taking attacks when I can.

Twin Strike 1=28
Twin Strike 2=23

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:27 pm

Malazek wrote:Davin takes a moment to slip off Snorri's boots (1 Round) and then heads north, toward the staircase where he started firing at the last group Orcs (after three rounds, he will be "almost" there - one square away). When he reaches his detination, he dips the boots in dead Orcblood, and starts to create a trail of "dwarfprints" heading up the steps there (another round).

So, after five rounds, Davin is at the other stairs, and has created 6 squares worth of bogus tracks.
The Orcs should be 29-39 rounds away from the party (26-35 rounds from the steps).

NOTE: He is not doing this on the same steps YOU came down on from the riddle-doors; those are closer to the rest of the party

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

What is everyone else doing during those 5 rounds?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Thank you Snorri". Verity gags the captive again, awaiting Vangg's insight into the truth of his statement.

"Why fight two Orc hordes? Our quarrel is not with them. Yes we could fell many, but many more will follow. Indeed, there may be yet another battalion just out of earshot heading this way.
"I agree we should lead them up the stair, and employing dwarf boots. But then we should let the ancient rivalry between Orc and Dwarf manifest. Many dwarves, dwarves who war on our own folk even now, shall then fall to these Orcs. Not only will we take respite, we take revenge by doing so, and while removed from harm beyond the trapped door.
"To do otherwise jeopardizes our quest."

Verity offers mundane healing to any who can use it:
First aid rolls: 30, 23, 16
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:The aged fisherman sits on a crate, catching his breath and cleaning his gore-spattered hammer.

Let me know if I can spend a couple surges.
Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:The aged fisherman sits on a crate, catching his breath and cleaning his gore-spattered hammer.
Let me know if I can spend a couple surges.
Not yet. You need 5 full minutes (50 rounds) of rest, first. The Orcs will be through Alex's wall by then, and we'll have to wait and see what happens with Davin.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:The grizzled veteran, catching his breath, stands and readies himself for battle.

OOC: I'll wait to post actual actions until more info is revealed. Ideally, I'd like to talk to any incoming parties, to set them against their ancestral enemies, or discern whether the kobold is amongst them. Consider Mordax as readied to charge the nearest opponent within range, targeting leaders/heroes first and foremost.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Malazek wrote:Juugug seems anxious. "Wha's da plan, den? We gonna jus' sit 'ere an' wait fer mo' orks? Er are we gonna play dead? Er head backs t'da room safe behind da riddle-doors?"

Kersh mirrors that sentiment, "How many more orcs do there be? Kersh tired. Kersh sore. Kersh HUNGRY! Me not wanna fight more orcs."

Azzy, too, looks to Verity and Vangg and Juugug for direction.

Silently, Snorri looks down at his frigid toes, and mourns the loss of his boots.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:Let me know if I can spend a couple surges.
Not yet. You need 5 full minutes (50 rounds) of rest, first. The Orcs will be through Alex's wall by then, and we'll have to wait and see what happens with Davin.
Have you spent your Second Wind, yet? If not, that's ONE surge you can spend.

The Witch-King wrote:The grizzled veteran, catching his breath, stands and readies himself for battle.

OOC: I'll wait to post actual actions until more info is revealed. Ideally, I'd like to talk to any incoming parties, to set them against their ancestral enemies, or discern whether the kobold is amongst them. Consider Mordax as readied to charge the nearest opponent within range, targeting leaders/heroes first and foremost.
Presumably, it is more Orcs that approach; if they're anything like the last crowd, you won't have much of a chance to parlay.

And supposedly, the Kobold was still two days ahead of you (but, of course, that estimation was based on the assumption that he was travelling all day, two days prior. He could have stopped, somewhere up ahead, in which case, he'd be much closer. But with Orcs? Perhaps Juugug or Vangg or Verity could evaluate the likelihood of that).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:Davin will slip off Snorri's boots and run over to the next Northern staircase. Once there, he will coat them in fallen Orc blood (there should be a few minion bodies there, this is where Davin originally started to shoot down Orc group 1), and make an obvious trail of bloody Dwarven footprints up the stairs.
DM wrote:Davin takes a moment to slip off Snorri's boots ... and then heads north, toward the staircase where he started firing at the last group Orcs. When he reaches his destination, he dips the boots in dead Orcblood, and starts to create a trail of "dwarfprints" heading up the steps there.
As he climbs the steps (dwarf boots on his hands, dripping with orc blood), he sees a strange hole in the steps above; as if the flooring up ahead had broken through in just that one spot. When he reaches the 200th step, he peers into the perfectly round hole, and is suddenly reminded of Kersh's rhyme.
Kersh wrote:"If ya see holes roun,' in means eye tyrands aboun'."
OOC: Nine Rounds, from Snorri's Boots to the 200th Step.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 34 AVK_UAr

Sorry for the hasty appearance of this map. It was only just prepared.
(Though, I was happy with the bootprints
. Cool
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity gives Davin a potion of vitality as he sets off to fake a trail. "Hope you don't need that."

The knight then approaches the warlord. "Straegis, I will go see if my answer to the other riddle is correct. Do write down in Ioharic, the phrase 'a secret' and I shall go test the door and make sure the way is clear. Pray that my fortune is fair, and that the dwarves haven't returned."

DM EDIT: OOC: WHICH door? There are TWO that you haven't answered yet..
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:29 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg continues concentrating and maintaining the holy ground.

OOC: If that is allowed

Dungeoneering to see if Vangg notices anything.

1d20+11=24
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:The knight then approaches the warlord. "Straegis, I will go see if my answer to the other riddle is correct. Do write down in Ioharic, the phrase 'a secret' and I shall go test the door and make sure the way is clear. Pray that my fortune is fair, and that the dwarves haven't returned."
"We ought t' go wit' ye. Da Orcs will be unto slayin' us, long 'efore ye reach dat door," Juugug says.
With a wink, he adds "'Sides dat, knowin' ye, yer boun' t' lose yer way on da way up."

OOC: Remember, it took the group half an hour to climb down those steps (it's nearly three miles to the top and almost two miles high ... in case anyone is curious, individual steps are 15" wide and 10" tall).
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:Vangg continues concentrating and maintaining the holy ground.
OOC: If that is allowed
OOC: You can sustain it for a maximum of 5 minutes, but you cannot rest while doing so (Note: Your CG will expire several rounds before Alex's Wall does).

Vangg wrote:Dungeoneering to see if Vangg notices anything.
1d20+11=24
Vangg realizes that his earlier suspicion is correct; this hall serves as a major travel route for for the underdark. There is no reason to expect respite when these Orcs are gone. You might get a moment to rest, here and there, but there's no gaurantee it will be soon. More Orcs, or worse, WILL come through here. You've been lucky so far, but you know the group cannot do this all day.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:32 pm

Malazek wrote:
DM wrote:As he climbs the steps (dwarf boots on his hands, dripping with orc blood), he sees a strange hole in the steps above; as if the flooring up ahead had broken through in just that one spot. When he reaches the 200th step, he peers into the perfectly round hole, and is suddenly reminded of Kersh's rhyme.

OOC: Nine Rounds, from Snorri's Boots to the 200th Step.
As per Swift, via phone ...

Davin leaves the ominous tunnel alone. Stealthily, he backs down the steps. When the distance seems safe, he picks up the pace, moving as quietly as his pace will allow.

OOC: Davin created 50 squares (250 feet; 200 steps) of fake prints.
That took 7 actions, beyond the inital 6 squares.
By then, the northern Orcs "should" have been 24-32 rounds from the stairs.

Then, he stealthed run back down. That'll take almost 7 actions (even running).
If the Orcs maintained the same pace, then they should be 347 squares away.

Next, he will head toward the Orcs until he's 50 squares from them (max range).
That'll take up to 12 rounds, placing Davin 168 squares north of the steps.

That means the party has 22-23 rounds before Davin starts shooting?
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:32 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: So we are basically trying to hide on one of their main roads? It is possible one of the approaching groups is not coming for us, could be coincidence. Maybe we should retreat up the stairs as far as possible and see if they pass. We also need to try to figure out which direction to go in the event they do fall for the elaborate trick Davin has set up.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Halcyon wrote:
Juugug wrote:"We ought t' go wit' ye. Da Orcs will be unto slayin' us, long 'efore ye reach dat door," Juugug says.
With a wink, he adds "'Sides dat, knowin' ye, yer boun' t' lose yer way on da way up."

"Let's get to it then, Juugug" says Verity. “Vangg, your stumpy legs make you no better at outrunning Orcs that my heavy armour. Come with us now or come soon.
“Straegis, you too are weighed down and we need your knowledge of Ioharic. Come with us up the stairs to the riddle doors. It is the only place nearby we can recuperate in relative safety.
“You say you tire of killing Orcs as well, Kersh? Come on then. Carry the captive. You come too Azzie.”
“Davin, this false trail can only help us and your fleet stride shall protect you. We’ll see you shortly.

With a glance at Alex and Mordax he begins taking the steps two at a time.

Standard: run
Move: run

Until 30 squares from the top at which point we should assess who’s available to stealth up and perceive whether anyone waits on the other side.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:33 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis agrees with Verity's plan and wastes no time starting the long run back up the stairs. If Davin can still hear him telepathically, he suggests taking a look around to see if he can still see the kobold's tracks.

Standard: run
Move: run

O.O.C.: Lather, Rinse, Repeat until we reach the upper area of the staircase, or until someone can determine with relative certainty that the "enemies" have passed, but no less than half-way back up the stairs.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin will keep the party telepathically apprised of his current whereabouts and exactly what he finds/sees.

"Mordax, Alex - you are not going to retreat up the stairs?"

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 35 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35  Next