Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 4 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:28 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity leans in close to offer the little he knows of miltiary matters and the arcane.
Aid History: 4
Aid Arcana: 12

DM EDIT: If Straegis and/or Alex are willing to confer with Verity before answering, then that's good for a +2 Coop bonus on Arcana (but not History).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 4 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis' first comment catches everyone present off guard, "First things first, do we intend to root them out, or are we standing firm? In other words offense, or defense? Until we make that decision, there are far too many options to weigh. I like the idea of 'cutting off the head' but that implies offense, and assumes that those ignorant little troublemakers would have the sense to stop when no one was giving them orders. A defensive strategy is probably the safest plan, but...if we beat them by drawing a line in the sand and stopping them from crossing it, I fear that will invite them to grow in strength and try again. On the other hand if we offensively attack them, especially if they are caught off guard, a quick defeat should insure enough shame to never return." He pauses briefly before continuing, "We need to know what tools we have at our disposal to get an accurate opinion here. How many men, what types of armament and weaponry, and our perceived deficiencies?"
After his comments, Straegis intends to confer with his friends before saying too much more.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Mordax waits to hear the input of others before answering the question posed to him directly.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:29 pm

Halcyon wrote:
Lord-General Kaster Pollux wrote: (with his Grey Bushy Eyebrows) says "I have a question for Sir Verity. As an ordained representative of the Raven Queen, can you make our soliders immune to death?"

"No, but the Queen will favor us in this fight if we plan well and then take our vengance without mercy.
Tis true we ought use cover to our advantage. The dwarven crossbowmen are especially formidable against targets in the open.
Their infantry too. The Dead-eyes can knock a fully armored soldier to the ground or the side. Toe to toe on an open filed, our greater mobility cannot be used to full advantage.
The Clergy of their greedy god Moradin share the same gifts as other initiates of faith. They focus more on item enchantments though, and prayers of the earth. Their enchantments will give them superior equipment. The earth spells and prayers of the dwarves merits shrewd attention, particularly with the now greater power of the Terramancers. Magics might speed thier tunneling, for example. If they entered the city though the catacombs or the sewers, they could wreak much havoc before we crush them."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:Lord-General Antares (and his gray Handlebar Mustache; known together as "the Scorpion Prince") says "Mordax. As a hero of previous wars, what do you think our odds are of cutting off the HEAD of the beast, so-to-speak? Y'know, killing their leadership, in order to stop the tide of peons?"

"As a hero, no. As a man forced tae fight, perhaps. Tha' simple fact is, General, tha' a man forced tae fight fer' somethin' he believes in, be it a farmstead, or tha' love o' 'is life, is a man tae be reckoned wi'. I'm none o' those, havin' nothin' tae live fer' save a blood oath.

I can tell ye' tho', if ye' can identify tha' leadership, an' get me close, I'll end me' life killin' 'em. No doubt, if ye' cut tha' head that leads 'em, the enemy'll fall apart a'fightin' each other, rather than focusin' they're goal, which is us."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis II wrote:Straegis' first comment catches everyone present off guard, "First things first, do we intend to root them out, or are we standing firm? In other words offense, or defense? Until we make that decision, there are far too many options to weigh."
"Indeed, that is what me must determine. But, suffice to say, we shall begin on the defensive, as they may already be within our walls. Afterwards, however, a counter-attack may very well be in order."

The LGs mumble together, again in concurrence.

Straegis II wrote:"I like the idea of 'cutting off the head' but that implies offense, and assumes that those ignorant little troublemakers would have the sense to stop when no one was giving them orders." ... "A defensive strategy is probably the safest plan, but...if we beat them by drawing a line in the sand and stopping them from crossing it, I fear that will invite them to grow in strength and try again. On the other hand if we offensively attack them, especially if they are caught off guard, a quick defeat should insure enough shame to never return."
Mordax wrote:"I can tell ye' tho', if ye' can identify tha' leadership, an' get me close, I'll end me' life killin' 'em. No doubt, if ye' cut tha' head that leads 'em, the enemy'll fall apart a'fightin' each other, rather than focusin' they're goal, which is us."
"Hmm, hmm. Very well. If the opportunity arises, we shall target their Clanheads; but not until the city is secure."
The HG nods to the Corporal, who quickly takes notes.

The LGs commence with a chorus of "Very good, very good" and "Yes indeed, fine idea."

Straegis II wrote:"We need to know what tools we have at our disposal to get an accurate opinion here. How many men, what types of armament and weaponry, and our perceived deficiencies?"
"The city has a standing army of over 100,000 soldiers (that includes ground forces, as well as naval forces); plus another 250,000 or so new recruits. We can probably count on another 25,000 from the Town Guard, and approximately 75,000 in the surrounding militias and noble houseguards combined. Add to that the 50,000 Elves that have come support us ... and we're looking at a force of approximately half a million."

"As a whole, it is estimated that the Imperial Army totals nearly 4 million soldiers and another 8 million able-bodied subjects ... but most of them are way too far away to be of immediate importance."

"You may examine the census to your satisfaction, once the meeting has concluded. Certianly, such information is important to the execution of whatever strategy we pursue."

Verity wrote:"No, but the Queen will favor us in this fight if we plan well and then take our vengance without mercy. Tis true we ought use cover to our advantage. The dwarven crossbowmen are especially formidable against targets in the open."

"Their infantry too. The Dead-eyes can knock a fully armored soldier asid or to the ground. Toe-to-toe on an open filed, our greater mobility cannot be used to full advantage."
"Surely, you don't mean to imply that Dwarves shoot as well Elves! The advantage at range lies with us!"

"Perhaps not, but undoubtedly THREE Dwarves are more than a match for ONE Elf! All of our information implies that they match us in numbers; that means that there are three Dwarven crossbows for every one Elven bow! And that doesn't even address the mounted archers from the Far Peninsula!"

The HG nods to the Corporal, who puts it all to paper. "Hmm, taking cover behind the walls is sounding better and better, except for the whole Dwarves fight better in cramped spaces thing. Bedamned if we do, bedamned if we don't."

Verity wrote:"The Clergy of their greedy god Moradin share the same gifts as other initiates of faith. They focus more on item enchantments though, and prayers of the earth. Their enchantments will give them superior equipment. The earth spells and prayers of the dwarves merits shrewd attention, particularly with the now greater power of the Terramancers. Magics might speed thier tunneling, for example. If they entered the city though the catacombs or the sewers, they could wreak much havoc before we crush them."
"Wait, wait, WHAT?!! The GREATER Power of the Terramancers? What in Kord's name do you mean?!"

The room goes silent, as all eyes turn to Verity, and then to Straegis, and finally to Alex; all looking for clarification.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:30 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity coughs politely. His eyes circle to Alex as well.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"Greater power of the Terramancers...hmm." Alex puts his finger to his lips; and then realises that the time for speculation isn't one where a room full of people are staring at you; time to think quick.

"Ok. From the beginning. I'll save my theories on Terramancy for later but at least allow me to answer your questions. Without being biased. I'd say the magic of the non-elemental mages and those that are elementally fuelled are roughly equal; although very different. We can generally both perform the same actions; but there are a few limitations and it is harder or more easy depending on the situation."

"The biggest limitation for the 'mancers is that they need their chosen substrate in order to perform their magic; although for Firebenders this isn't a problem; they can generate flames at will; the rest of us must have our element in any of its forms. Hydromancers tend to struggle the most without water; sure; I can also oftentimes drag it from the air"

Alex shakes his hand through the air, and his fingers are encased in icicles.

"But for a lot of magic you need such a volume it is going to be difficult. Possible. But difficult."
"Earthbenders rarely suffer in such a way in their art; earth is usually readily available. Putting one in a wooden prison cell might hold them for a while, the mineral content is so low only the most powerful could bend it; Not all Earthbenders can metalbend -its a very difficult art- so some could be kept in metal prisons. Taking them to battle in the air; or at sea would be your best option of leaving them without a substrate. They could only carry so much mineral onto the boat before loading it down far too much, or summon so much to float around them as they flew on a sandstorm. There are 3 specific limitations of earthbending though."
"The first is the earth connection. Their power comes from the very earth they are rooted to; evident in their strong stances and often disregard for footwear. Knocking them over- although difficult- or lifting them up may weaken them."
"The second limitation of earthbending is metal and wood; as I have already mentioned."
"The third is the lower body; although powerful earthbenders can control their substrate meerly with thoughts or small gestures." Alex closes his eyes for a moment, and in a flash a pearl of water condenses from the air and turns to ice; hovering before his eyes. "It is harder. Grabbing an earthbender, although often difficult and requiring of courage; can severely limit their options and abilities. Its very interesting actually, how different every element is; for example air, although we have no-"

Alex seems to realise he's digressed; completely forgetting about the war almost.

"Erm...yes...so there is a problem. Your entire city is made out of stone; in Imil the walls and floor are built of ice. The earthbenders would stand no chance against us there; and be weaker at sea; and I doubt they could reach the cloudtemples of the Aeromancers; or the volcani-" Alex remembers the lack of any Pyromancing nation and bites his tongue. "But that isn't helping...erm...."

Alex looks down to find himself pacing the room...He looks a little shocked but keeps walking What can I say that will help them!? I keep digressing!

"Being more powerful! Yes. Ok. Well, since the pyromancers falling; it is Aodhan's belief that the Terramancers have taken the power that belonged to the pyromancers. The elements were once equally balanced, but since the death of the firebenders lots of elemental energy is not being used up. In some way the dwarves are channeling that through themselves; turning their stone moving arts to channel the energy of the fire nation; we don't know how but..." Suddenly Alex's mind clicks. "Perhaps...perhaps they're channeling it through their art. Rockbenders could always heat their substrate- turn it to a cloud of boiling sand; use pressure and heat to turn it to gems or metal; but perhaps they're doing MORE of that now. Perhaps the magic of the elements is all linked!" Alex thinks he's got it...but...then he realises. "But...then...how would waterbenders represent earth? How do earthbenders represent air? Perhaps thats for another time. Back on topic" How many times have you said that Alex!.

"The earthbenders will be powerful; They will find it easy to break stone and build tunnels. They will have finely crafted and enchanted armour; but none of this will outmatch anything we can do to fight them. I would suggest it was unlikely that they will come to us; for whatever reason they are doing it; they would surely prefer to wage a war within their own fortified grounds. There are three general weaknesses to earthbending..."

He attempts to claw it back. "To learn about the dwarves you must examine their arts. The the fundamentals of terramancing. With Fire; your anger must fuel every move; you can only make it hotter if you can pump the energy out of yourself-unless of course you've already got a fire then-" He catches himself this time. "-then you just manipulate it. Waterbenders must flow; like a river, thats why we change our substrates form so often and so readily; and turn our defense quickly into offense. Our stances of fluid and liquid, we are flexible. Airbenders manipulate currents by performing circular movements and their art is almost entirely defensive; thier tactics would be the same, they would circle and avoid and then strike and then flee; but they are entirely (or at least; have always been) peaceful. Earthbenders; however their art relies on steady stances and powerful strong movements and the dwarves take their very nature from the rock they can meld. They are stable and steady. Any attack will be measured and patient and slow; but it will also be faced head on; also it will involve listening, waiting, and attacking at the right moment. We must not give them that moment. Although with their sudden disappearance; they may have already found it."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:"Okay, well, unfortunately we can't drag them out to sea. This battle will undoubtedly be fought on solid ground, and very likely within our very streets."

"So, from what you've just said: when need to single out the Dwarves with no boots on; and we need to grapple or otherwise restrain them, in order to limit their spellcasting."

"Corporal, write that down."

The LFC Intern begins to jot down some rather lengthy notes. The LGs whisper among themselves, and then are overcome by contemplative silence.

"Anything else? If not, then let's reconvene after the subcommittes have had a chance to analyze this information. Champions and allies, your service here has been appreciated."

The LGs quickly get up and leave the room; well, all except Draxus Ferall, who walks over to your group. "That went as expected. I'll probably be needed in some subcommittee or another. You all can stick around if you like (maybe you'll be invited to sit in on one or more of these meetings), but you don't have to. Obviously."

Helfare comes over to Davin, "Davin. You mentioned going out the hills, and scouting the spot where the Dwarves dissappeared ... would you like to take a few of the Empire's ragtag rangers? I can introduce you to them. Or were you planning to take your usual companions?"

Meanwhile, the Princess has entered the room. "Oh, you're leaving? I was hoping to visit the library with Alex and Straegis. We can go after. Or before. Whatever you think is prudent."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:31 pm

The Witch-King wrote:"Lord General" says Mordax, in a very low voice "understand me when I say tha' cuttin' tha' head o' tha' Hydra may work. I dinnae mean tha' clan chiefs. Once tha' dwarves make up their minds, they're set in stone. I actually meant assassinatin' the other factions. Like ours. Tha' Ritlanders, tha' Islanders, an' o' course tha' treacherous Famorians."

Continuing, he says "Also, a defensive action holds nae merit agin' tha' dwarves. Mobility is tha' key. We need tae find each faction and destroy it before it can link up wi' it's allies. It's a long dash, just as after tha' razin' o' Edrian."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Just before everyone leaves, Straegis chimes in "There is one more place we can attempt to get information, the Maor in your stockade. We should at least question him to see what he knows. How convenient, we have his tooth! Perhaps that would make him more willing to answer a few questions? It's at least worth a try. High-General, do you have any men with expertise in, well...let's just say extracting facts from prisoners?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Just before everyone leaves, Straegis chimes in "There is one more place we can attempt to get information, the Maor in your stockade. We should at least question him to see what he knows. How convenient, we have his tooth! Perhaps that would make him more willing to answer a few questions? It's at least worth a try. High-General, do you have any men with expertise in, well...let's just say extracting facts from prisoners?

"Aye, 'tis a fine idea" says Mordax, "Jus' keep tha' squeamish awa'."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"I would dearly like to see this library if possible."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:Helfare comes over to Davin, "Davin. You mentioned going out the hills, and scouting the spot where the Dwarves dissappeared ... would you like to take a few of the Empire's ragtag rangers? I can introduce you to them. Or were you planning to take your usual companions?"

Meanwhile, the Princess has entered the room. "Oh, you're leaving? I was hoping to visit the library with Alex and Straegis. We can go after. Or before. Whatever you think is prudent."

I consider for a moment, and then nod. "Yes. A few of the best - you did say one especially showed some promise?"

Looking to my friends - Alex, Mordax, Stragis and Verity, "I am going to check and see if I can find any signs of these Dwarves. Let's meet back up tonight where we stayed last night. Can you take care of the wagon? Stragis, Alex, can I talk to you for a moment?"

I step aside, lowering my voice. "Would you two do me a favor while in the library? See if you can find any information about the royal line of Elves that ruled Talthanin - if there was such a line. Thank you, my friends."

Walking back over to Prince Helfare, I turn to Princess Rhyannon. "I can not join you, Milady, but I hope to see you again soon."

"My Lords." I nod to the Generals before leaving with Helfare.

O.O.C. - Anyone is welcome to join me, but I wanted to go Stealth mission, and you guys are LOUD!

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Mordax wrote:"Lord General" says Mordax, in a very low voice "understand me when I say tha' cuttin' tha' head o' tha' Hydra may work. I dinnae mean tha' clan chiefs. Once tha' dwarves make up their minds, they're set in stone. I actually meant assassinatin' the other factions. Like ours. Tha' Ritlanders, tha' Islanders, an' o' course tha' treacherous Famorians."

Continuing, he says "Also, a defensive action holds nae merit agin' tha' dwarves. Mobility is tha' key. We need tae find each faction and destroy it before it can link up wi' it's allies. It's a long dash, just as after tha' razin' o' Edrian."
The HG replies, "The outlying provinces may indeed revolt, but for now they are too far away to involve themselves in this battle. We'll let the ambassadors handle that problem. I will, however, suggest to the Emperor that he send his most delicate assassins to the courts ... just in case."

Straegis II wrote:Just before everyone leaves, Straegis chimes in "There is one more place we can attempt to get information, the Maor in your stockade. We should at least question him to see what he knows. How convenient, we have his tooth! Perhaps that would make him more willing to answer a few questions? It's at least worth a try. High-General, do you have any men with expertise in, well...let's just say extracting facts from prisoners?
The HG nods to LG Antares, and then leaves.
Waving to Verity, Corporal Servinus follows the HG from the room.

Antares, however, responds with a creepy grin "We shall see what he knows ... care to watch?"
Whether Straegis accepts or declines the offer, the Scorpion Prince heads off.

Alex wrote:"I would dearly like to see this library if possible."
"Wonderful!" the Princess exclaims. "Shall we then? Straegis, are you coming?"

Davin wrote:I consider for a moment, and then nod. "Yes. A few of the best - you did say one especially showed some promise?"

Looking to my friends - Alex, Mordax, Stragis and Verity, "I am going to check and see if I can find any signs of these Dwarves. Let's meet back up tonight where we stayed last night. Can you take care of the wagon? Stragis, Alex, can I talk to you for a moment?"

I step aside, lowering my voice. "Would you two do me a favor while in the library? See if you can find any information about the royal line of Elves that ruled Talthanin - if there was such a line. Thank you, my friends."

Walking back over to Prince Helfare, I turn to Princess Rhyannon. "I can not join you, Milady, but I hope to see you again soon."

"My Lords." I nod to the Generals before leaving with Helfare.
"I'm sure you will, Davin Fletcher," the Princess smiles.

Helfare then says, "Excellent then, follow me."

The Elven Prince leaves the building, and heads off into the muddy training grounds. Within seconds, the two of you are joined by another elf, who asks Helfare what to do with the "odd number" of journeybreads. Helfare tells him to give a box to each platoon and let them decide how to distribute it, and to keep the remaining boxes in the depot. Beaurocacy, bleh.

Moments later, you come across the most ragtag group of 39 hunters, woodsman, and hobby archers; all lazing about on the side of a hill. Composed of every race (except elf and dwarf), every age, and both genders, they are dirty and greasy, and they aren't in uniform. Furthermore, they are standing around drinking beers, instead of running drills.

As Prince Helfare approaches, they half-stand and give him a rather lazy solute. "This is what they give me," he whispers.

Then, he booms, "Listen up! This here is Davin Fletcher. Although he isn't an Imperial officer, he is going to lead this 'platoon' anyway. Like myself, he is here on behalf of the Princess, and acting in a consultatory position for the Empire. So, pay attention, you have much to learn from him. And if you give him a hard time, the General has given him pemission to feed you to the dog."

He turns to Davin and says, "They're all yours."
As he leaves, his gives Davin a look that says "I'm sorry."

Scanning the crowd, Davin quickly recognizes someone among them; and knows immediately who Helfare was referring to when he said there was a youngster with great potential. It's the kid with the bow! The one who was on the wagon full of strangers you saved in the Malbog! The kid does a double take when he recognizes Davin.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Davin is doing some Recon.
Alex is going to the Library.
What is Straegis doing? Library? Torture? Something else?
What is Mordax doing? Staying with the LG? Something else?
What is Verity doing? Still heading to the temple? Something else?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Wearied by the talk of court assasins and torture Verity is grateful to take his leave.
"Thank you, Davin, for the offer to aid in rooting out the Dwarves, but I've got some reconaisance of my own to do. I will consult the seers at the High Temple and return to the inn when I am able." He considers a moment. "Actually, of the latter I cannot guarantee. I will be here in the morning though, to report to the High command. If I do not see you all before then, good Furtune and Gods protect ye."
He goes first to arrange some carousing with his brothers and uncle and then to the Three Pines District and theHigh Temple.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:As Helfare begins to leave, without a word and with one fluid motion, I pull my bow, nock an arrow, take quick aim at the nearest "ranger's" mug of beer, and let loose.

Basic mug attack=26
Basic mug damage=12

"Davin Fletcher, well met. Leave your beer, grab your bows, and come with me."

I head to archery field. On the way, I try to gauge the potential of this motley crew (specifically looking for 3 besides the kid to go recon with). After I make my determination and are at the archery fields, I break them all into groups of 5, leaving the Kid and the best 3 with me.

Insight check=20
Perception check=33

"You there, practice your archery. The best 5 gets dinner and beer tonight, my treat. I will be back shortly. You 4 - you're with me."

I jog off with my team, heading for the hills. On way, I ask their names. Once we get off the road or path, nearing our destination, we start Stealthing. I will stay in front, attempting to find sign of the Dwarves. Once I do, I will test them on what they see.

Stealth check=28
Perception check=31

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:33 pm

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax stays with the LG, falling into the old routine of "watch and learn, and say as little as possible."

Wearing his trusted armor once more, he seems taller, somehow, and more assertive.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex drools at the prospect of going to the library. In his head, anyway.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis finds Alverdine and asks "Please go with them to interrogate the Maor, I don't think it would be wise to leave them with him unguarded. I would also like to be informed of what he has to say, see if they can get him to give up the names of some of his co-conspirators. I'm quite sure that type of information would be well received back home."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:A short while later ...

Davin & Hound ...

After the initial shock wears off, some of the "rangers" take exception to Davin's fear tactic; but they fall in line anyway (though not without a bit of grumbling). Heading to the archery field, each one moves in relative silence, but their absolute disregard for each other gives away their positions readily (as they fail to give each other any sort of right away, bump into one another, then fall to arguing).

At the archery field, they perform well individually; but they are from disciplined, and anything but unified. Each has his own method of shooting, and they seem wholey incapable of firing in sync.

Leaving the bulk of the miscreants to practice, the four best among them follow their new leader into the hills. When Davin asks their names, he gets a barrage of answers; but manages to make out the names, somehow. The kid with bow is called Reed Canfield; the other three are Calumet (human male), Ridly (half-elf female), and Qanna (tiefling female).

In the hills, Davin easily finds signs of 123 stout heavy boots (dwarf prints), but he also signs of 45 sandled feet (human prints, maybe) and tracks from 17 mules.

When he asks his crew to check, they return with varying degrees of accuracy. They either miscount the number of boots or think the mules are "horses."

Following the signs, the group eventually finds themselves heading back toward the city where they find a large stone pipe trickling water into a creek. The outspout is just big enough for a person to crouchwalk through (or for a Dwarf to walk through upright).

Alex, Straegis, and the Princess ...

Alverdine agrees to supervise the interrogation, so Alex and Straegis can go to the Imperial Library. The Princess's carriage take syou through the crowded streets, through the wide courtyard, and right to the Library's front doors without incident.

Inside, you find the lobby to much less austere than expected. It is warmed by three fireplaces, and decorated with exquiste paintings and masterful sculptures. Two massive oak doors stand at the opposite end of the hall, just under the interior balcony which hosts two more similiar doors. Wide stairs wind their way up to the balcony from the first floor, flanked by gilded banisters!

For your convenience, mahogony tables sit before each fireplace; and confortable chairs surround the tables. Candleberas keep each station well lit; at the glass pitchers of water (accompanied by clean glasses) keep the occupants thirst free. ... or would, if anyone was sitting here.

To the left is a long narrow marble counter, behind which sits a skinny old lady. Rhyannon heads straight for the librarian, and announces that she'd like to treat the two of you a year of membership! The old woman takes your names, and records them in a dusty old tome. The princess then hands the lady approximately two dozen platinum pieces.

"Which floor would we like to visit first?

Verity & Zephyr ...

After planning a later rendezvous with his family, Verity rides Zephyr through the crowded streets to the Three Pines District. By the time he arrives, he realizes he hasn't given himself much time for dilly-dally (that is, it took longer to cover the distance than expected because of traffic).

The Three Pines District is full of shops and homes like any other, but gigantic cathedrals stand in glorious tribute to the gods; each deity in the pantheon is represented, and no church is smaller than a city block.

Some of the pedestrains are unfriendly, but with so many people present it's not hard to find someone willing to give directions. Eventually, Verity locates the Temple of the Raven Queen. Constructed of dark stone, the outside walls are covered in bas relief depictions of ancient spirits; a massive clock tower reaches from the center of the tower toward the heavens.

The main chapel is extremely long and drafty, with a dark alter at the far end. Only two small candles provide light at that end, and nobody is down there (though a grossly large wooden door stands behind the altar; above it are the words "TEMET NOSCE."

All along the sides, however, are many double doors; each leading to a viewing room. Roughly half the viewing rooms contain families that are surrounding the caskets of their rececently dead family members. A Cleric of da Queen is there to provde service in each of the side rooms.

Mordax & Draxus ...

Donned in heroic armor, Mordax follows the Lord-General Draxus Ferall back into the main convention hall. The other Lord-Generals are busy organizing subcommittees with the staff, but Draxus Ferall goes straight to the back of the hall and helps himself to the buffet that is laid-out there.

"Help youself to some food, Mordax."

"Listen, I know that war has left you jaded and disillusioned, but I really hope you will re-enlist and accept a formal rank. Your experience could keep many soldiers alive, but that will be much harder if they are not obligated to follow your example."

"We might even be able to convince the High-General to grant you the ranks you would have earned (that you were about to earn in the field) had you not you resigned when you did, so long ago."

"Or not. It's up to you. I can probably work this so that you're brought in as a consultant, if that's what you prefer. Just decide, and I'll see that it's official."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:34 pm

Swifthand wrote:As I correct the mistakes and gives subtle encouragement to my trainees, I hear the echo of Old Man Fletcher's voice, giving me the same instruction - another time and place. Smiling at the memories, I continue to follow the Dwarven tracks, finally coming to the pipe. My face goes pale as I see my suspicions confirmed.

"Calumet, Ridley, Qanna . Run as fast as you can and report what we have found to Helfare or Lord-General Ferall. Avoid confrontation - get the information to them at all costs. Calumet, Ridley - if you are attacked, delay the enemy while Qanna continues with the intelligence."

"Reed - you stay here with Hound. Hide over there in that brush and wait for me. If you are attacked, point at your enemy, and command Hound to attack. Say "Cyl, eiras!". Keep your wits about you and your bow ready."

I scratch the mutt behind the ears. "Cyl - mae." ("Hound - stay.")

I give them all a reassuring smile. "Good luck."

I crouch low, and move with cat-like grace into the pipe, listening for my quarry, arrow nocked and bow at the ready.

Nature check to command Hound=24
Stealth check=28
Perception check=29

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:Donned in heroic armor, Mordax follows the Lord-General Draxus Ferall back into the main convention hall. The other Lord-Generals are busy organizing subcommittees with the staff, but Draxus Ferall goes straight to the back of the hall and helps himself to the buffet that is laid-out there.

"Help youself to some food, Mordax."

"Listen, I know that war has left you jaded and disillusioned, but I really hope you will re-enlist and accept a formal rank. Your experience could keep many soldiers alive, but that will be much harder if they are not obligated to follow your example."

"We might even be able to convince the High-General to grant you the ranks you would have earned (that you were about to earn in the field) had you not you resigned when you did, so long ago."

"Or not. It's up to you. I can probably work this so that you're brought in as a consultant, if that's what you prefer. Just decide, and I'll see that it's official."

Considering, Mordax finally responds "Aye, my auld friend, I've nae love fer' bloodshed, tae be sure. An sae lang as I'm wi' you there's nae issue, fer' yuir a right guid mon, but tha' Empire's army is vast, and not all commanders are tha' same.

If I took a rank it'd hae tae be wi' tha' clout tae act o' my own volition. As a freelancer I'd hae tha' freedom tae act as I saw fit.

I guess tha' answer depends on tha' rank, but in either case I'll follow yer' lead fer' tha' time being."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis sees the princess pay for the membership to the library and says "Thank you, that certainly wasn't necessary but it is most appreciated and I intend to use it wisely." He turns to the librarian and quietly asks "Ma'am, would you be so kind as to give us a quick description of the layout of the books here, or perhaps you have someone here who could give us a brief tour?" Straegis' eyes widen as he scans the library trying to soak up everything he sees, he catches himself with his mouth agape and hopes it really wasn't obvious to anyone.

History:1d20=12+13=25
History:1d20=3+13=16
History:1d20=15+13=28
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Malazek wrote:Davin ...

"Yes sir!" Reed exclaims, taking cover with Hound behind some bushes.
The others take off swiftly toward the city.

Sneaking into the pipe, Davin soon realizes it's the main vein of a combination sewer (that is, it doubles as a storm drain and a sewage drain). Though refuse and waste sometimes move through this pipe, it more often moves flood water from the hills and toward the city (diverting the flood while simultaneously providing pressure to the sewage tunnels).

Davin doesn't make it very far before he begins to hear gruff voices (but they aren't saying anything that he finds useful). The pipe connects to large underground reservoir, filled with stagnant, stanky water; a dozen other pipes meet here, as well. Rusty iron catwalks span the gaps, connecting the largest tunnels to one another, and providing a relatively dry place to stand.

But Davin doesn't step out onto the catwalk, because it is occupied by approximately two dozen Dwarves. Accompanying them is half a dozen medium sized humanoids, each draped in loose pull-over robes and topped with veiled hats. There is no sign of any mules.

After a moment, he identifies two of the Dwarves as rockbenders.

Mordax ...

Draxus responds, "Very well."

By this time, Bluto Rexus has rejoined you at the LG's side.

Draxus explains the usual protocol, "Lt. Colonel Velius should be joing us soon. When he does, we'll meet with my other subordiante officers, and discuss our options and resources, and how to best utilize them ... according to the High-General's overall strategy (as outlined earlier)."

"Then, you and I will meet again with the High-General to make sure our efforts are coordinated with those of the other Lord-Generals. Personally, I find it all a bit drawn-out and needlessly inefficient. In the end, it all just gets muddled-up, anyway. ... but I guess some communication and organization is necessary."

"Honestly, I have it a bit easier than the other Lord-Generals. Even though I lead the lowest number of troops, my troops are (on average) the most elite. The High-General grants me the leeway necessary to employ 'unusual' troops, and persons with niche skills. We won't have to patrol with the others; not on the walls, not in the hills, and not through the streets. We'll have the freedom to wait until a clear objective is in sight, and then we'll address it head on."

"I guess I have you to thank for that; well, you and your former squad. The Empire realized after the Ritland campaign that the Empire's greatest assets were being squandered; lost among multitudes of the less talented."

"Not that they aren't useful. Certianly, we could never do what we do if not for them."

"Am I rambling? Sorry. It must be the ale."

Straegis and Alex ...

The librarian explains, "Ref'rence an' 'istory are primar'ly on the firs' floor; Arcane academicia on the secon.' Poetry an' other fo'klore is on the third. Some volumes are 'ccassion'ly kept in the basement, usually 'cause they 'ave been damaged; the top floor is reserved fer the lib'ary's own scholars."

"Throughout the lib'ary you will fin' tables an' chairs where you can read an' study. Copyin' is norm'ly forbidden, but 'ceptions can be made ... fer a small fee."

As she speaks, she leads you up the stairs to the balcony, and swings open the large doors found there (this is really when your jaws drop). Most of the second floor is comprised of a single, vaulted room, over a quarter mile long! Several large alcoves and small offices sit on the permiter. The massive room has very little floor space, however, as bookshelves crowd the room; the tallest of which are along the sides, and easily stand 30 feet high.

Despite the plethora of packed shelves, loose volumes are stacked up on top of the lower bookcases, on top of tables, in the corners, and even piled up against the many columns which support the ceiling.

A thick blanket of dust covers many portions of it all.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next