Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 3 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity gives Davin a sly wink and a nod, oblivious to his friend's discomfort.

Insight: 2 on die, +2 half level +2 Wisdom = 6
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 3 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:"It's good to see you again, Mordax, though I wish it were under less trying circumstances" The Lord-General says, "But I see you haven't changed much, since last I saw you. Hopefully, with the war so close to home, things will be more cut and dry this time around."

Mordax says nothing, simply stares. After a moment, he turns his attention to the training fields, frowning at perceived imperfections.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Jumping onto the wagon, Straegis whispers to Davin, "Al mikkni carn gevil, rel virne bal e cinver?" (If you bed the princess, does that make you a prince?) He doesn't wait for a response before laughing aloud. Straegis studies the streets as he grabs the map from his pack and tries to follow along, making mental notes of what they pass and where they turn along the way and trying to see if he recognizes anything.

Perception: 1d20=5+2(half-lvl)=7
Streetwise: 1d20=16+2(map)+2(half-lvl)=20
History: 1d20=1+13=14
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis II wrote:... Straegis studies the streets as he grabs the map from his pack and tries to follow along, making mental notes of what they pass and where they turn along the way and trying to see if he recognizes anything.
Perception: 7
Streetwise: 20
History: 14
Indeed, the training fields are located outside of the city walls; occupying a large traingular section of land that is flanked by the city walls on two sides, and by one of the larger rivers on the other third side. They are on the west-northwest side of the city.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity surveys the training fields looking for his brothers.

Perception: 9+2+2=13
Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Verity surveys the training fields looking for his brothers.
Perception: 9+2+2=13
He does not see them; though he does see a few different cavalry units, they are just too far off to positivel identify anyone.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Malazek wrote:You are lead through the tent complex, past many soldiers and officers, and toward the wooden structure in the center. The wooden structure seems surprisingly fragile next to the solid solid stone walls that surround the city.

The first floor the wooden structure is dominated by a large hall with stadium seating; a lare stage with a podium sits opposite the seats. In the various rows of chairs, you see countless Generals, Brigadiers, and Colonels, each with their own retinue of advisors, emissaries, and bodyguards; as well as a handful of Dukes, Counts, and Barons, with even more personal attendents than the military personell.

On the stage is man in a black Imperial uniform, wearing a cape and a longsword. His face is covered by a a full hood (that is, a cloth mask that covers his whole head, save for two eye holes). The insignia on his breast markes him as "the High-General." Behind him and to the left, is a single row of twelve chairs, in which sit the various Lord-Generals of the Empire (except one chair which remains empty). Behind him and to the right is a similiar row of Chairs, in which sit the dignataries of the Eldworn and of the Feywild (one chair sits empty).

As Lord-General Draxus Ferall enters, the room goes silent, all eyes upon you; even the HG stops his speech to look at your party.

"Follow me to the edge of the stage, and wait at the steps," Draxus whispers to you all. He walks forward, and climbs onto the stage. The HG steps away from the podium, allowing LG Ferall to speak: "My fellow Officers and Noblemen," he begins. "We have recieved important information from our Eladrin allies; Junior-Marshal Straegis II brought it here all the way from the Feywild."

The room burst into applause; as you you wait for the room to quiet down, another chairs is added to the row of dignataries. The HG steps in front of Draxus, and booms "We need time to consider this new information, and will re-convene here again in one hour!"

As he says this, Ferall waves you all up the steps, and leads you to the back of the stage where a single door awaits. The princess waves to the crowd as she heads to the door, which incites the crowd to greater frenzy.

You find yourself in an unfamiliar situation when you reach the backroom. The Lord-General, the High-General, Princess Rhyannon, yourselves, and one young corporal are the only ones allowed into the backroom.

Hey, that young Corporal is Corporal Frater Servinus!

Emotionless, HG greets you "It is an honor to meet you Junior-Marshal; if you possess half the talent of your father, then your aid here will be most valueable. May I see the scroll, now? You may introduce your retinue after I read it ... Please."

Assuming Straegis II hands the scroll to the HG ...

"It is as we feared."

"I was told this morning that more Dwarves had gathered in the hills outside the city; but as of an hour ago, those Dwarves were gone."

"Okay, pardon my abrubtness. You may now introduce the members of your retinue; but afterwards, we must meet with only the best minds to decide upon a strategy and how to best implement it."

Draxus Ferall interupts "I'm sorry to interrupt, High-General, but THIS man is Mordax; the Legend of Shadow Pass. I insist upon his attendence at this meeting."

The HG turns to Draxus and says "We shall see."
Turning back he says "Lord Straegis ..." and beckons for Straegis to precede with introductions.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:22 pm

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:Draxus Ferall interupts "I'm sorry to interrupt, High-General, but THIS man is Mordax; the Legend of Shadow Pass. I insist upon his attendence at this meeting."

The HG turns to Draxus and says "We shall see."
Turning back he says "Lord Straegis ..." and beckons for Straegis to precede with introductions.

"Aye, we shall, and a right bloody day that'll soon be." interrupts Mordax, "an' after introductions I'll go or they'll stay, fer' the lot o' 'em are as guid a comp'ny as e'er I marched wi'."

So saying Mordax lapses into a parade-ground stance, trident held at a rigid 45° angle, legs planted.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis bows slightly as he hands the scroll to the High-General, at his beckoning he continues by saying, "Sir, may I present Verity Servinus, Davin Fletcher, Alex and Alverdine, and last but not least, Mordax." Straegis tries to remember what he may know of the High-General, and he struggles to get a read on him as they shake hands and he introduces everyone. After the introductions are complete, Straegis takes a look around the room.

History(High-General): 1d20=2+13=15
Insight: 1d20=20+2(half-lvl)=22
Perception: 1d20=8+2(half-lvl)=10
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis bows slightly as he hands the scroll to the High-General, at his beckoning he continues by saying, "Sir, may I present Verity Servinus, Davin Fletcher, Alex and Alverdine, and last but not least, Mordax." Straegis tries to remember what he may know of the High-General, and he struggles to get a read on him as they shake hands and he introduces everyone. After the introductions are complete, Straegis takes a look around the room.

Square-jawed Mordax, every inch the drill Sergeant now, forgoes introductions, left hand planted in the small of his back, bushy brows furrowed. His piercing gaze never leaves the High-General.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Despite the presence of his eldest brother, Verity leaves his helm on. He salutes the General's retinue silently. His shoulders are squared with pride, but for a time his breathing seems slightly choked.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Swifthand wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Verity gives Davin a sly wink and a nod, oblivious to his friend's discomfort.

macksgarageusa wrote:Jumping onto the wagon, Straegis whispers to Davin, "Al mikkni carn gevil, rel virne bal e cinver?" (If you bed the princess, does that make you a prince?) He doesn't wait for a response before laughing aloud.

Davin turns beat red under his Maor cloak, despite the knowledge that his well-mannered and bred companions are having sport with him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As he is introduced, Davin simply nods to those in attendance. After, he steps back into the shadowy corner of the room and does his best to remain unnoticed amongst such high-powered and important folk. As always, his eyes, hidden within his cloak, constantly shift from one detail to another, taking them all in and weighing their import.

Stealth check=29
Perception check=34
Insight check=24

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:Straegis bows slightly as he hands the scroll to the High-General, at his beckoning he continues by saying, "Sir, may I present Verity Servinus, Davin Fletcher, Alex and Alverdine, and last but not least, Mordax." Straegis tries to remember what he may know of the High-General, and he struggles to get a read on him as they shake hands and he introduces everyone. After the introductions are complete, Straegis takes a look around the room.
History(High-General): 15
Insight: 22
Perception: 10
In the Hall ..
Straegis recognizes the Eladrin courtiers present, but doesn't think any of them are combatants. They are just ambassadors. Some of the Elven ambassadors look familiar, as well; hey look, it's Prince Helfare II (Rhyannon's little brother).

In the Backroom ...
Nobody knows the High-General's real name, and nobody has ever seen his face. He was appointed to his position by the Emperor only 12 years ago (after Ritland was fully conquered; but he was in charge when the last of the Island States and the Eastern Peninsula were finally subjugated).

... Because of his mask, the HG is very difficult man to read; but as the conversation continues, Straegis takes him to be the kind of person who is quick to decision, but still very adaptable.

Verity wrote:
Malazek wrote:You find yourself in an unfamiliar situation when you reach the backroom. The Lord-General, the High-General, Princess Rhyannon, yourselves, and one young corporal are the only ones allowed into the backroom.
Despite the presence of his eldest brother, Verity leaves his helm on. He salutes the General's retinue silently. His shoulders are squared with pride, but for a time his breathing seems slightly choked.
In the backroom (where introductions are finally made), the General's retinue consists only of Frater.

Davin wrote:As he is introduced, Davin simply nods to those in attendance. After, he steps back into the shadowy corner of the room and does his best to remain unnoticed amongst such high-powered and important folk. As always, his eyes, hidden within his cloak, constantly shift from one detail to another, taking them all in and weighing their import.
Stealth check=29
Perception check=34
Insight check=24
In the Hall ...
It's all but impossible to hide in plain sight, especially with so many people watching. With his keen senses, however, Davin does count that most of the Officers and Noblemen are human; though a few Tieflings and Dragonborn are mixed in. Most are not wearing armor, though many are carrying weapons. Only a few are magic-wielders (chaplains and battlemages). They are all worried about what the scroll might say.

Among the foreign dignitaries, there are five elves and six Eladrin (Rhyannon being the sixth Elf; and the added chair is presumably for Straegis). All of them look to be of nobleblood, but without much combat training. ... that is, all but one of the Elves. That elf man looks strangely familiar to Davin, and has the rugged look of an outdoorsman. At first, he can't put his finger on it; but after some consideration, he realizes the elf bears a striking resemblance to Rhyannon.

In the back room ...
After being introduced, it's even more difficult to hide. The back room simply isn't big enough, and the HG seems to be looking right at Davin with his huge, piercing blue eyes. Staring into those frightful eyes, Davin notices something; the HG has a scar running through his left eye. This catches Davin's attention, and he looks closer, only to realize that eye is made of glass.

... but, due to his mask, the HG is very difficult man to read; but as the conversation continues, Davin figures takes him to be the kind of person who is quick to decision, but still very adaptable.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Once introductions are made, the HG says "Very nice to meet you all. As much as I would like to include everyone in our top secret meeting, it's just not practical. The attendence of these initial meetings are by necessity kept small; and information trickles down through the ranks so those who need it, get it."

"Myself and the Lord-Generals will obviously attend; and if Draxus insists, then Mordax may attend. ... As the the leader of our Elven allies, the Princess is asked to join us, as well; but as usual, her brother will sit in her stead. And as the representative of the Eladrin, the Junior-Marshal will also be asked to join us."

"I see no reason for the others to attend THIS meeting. Your service and cooperation, however, ARE appreciated ... and we would strongly like to have you take part in some of the meetings that will inevitably follow."

"Sir," Draxus interjects. "Alex is here from the distant city of Imil. He has come all this way, in part, to help the Junior-Marshal with this quest. Should he not attend?"

"Imil, eh? Very well. He shall be invited as an ambassador, then. Perhaps we can be of service of to each other, then; and a formal alliance can be formed in the future."

"Also, High-General," the Princess adds, "Davin here is actually Prince Palol, the last survivor of the noble House of Thaeraes. He represents the Elves of the Malbog in this endeavor."

"The Elves of the ... Malbog?!"

"I would like him to stay."

"Very well, your highness." Looking to Verity, the HG sighes. "Fine, you can all stay. I expect I can trust you all to maintain the strictest levels of confidence and responsibility?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex keeps his mouth shut, but its quite obvious he in uncomfortable speaking for Imil. His people are weak and dwindling, and he certainly cannot speak for them in matters of war.

Even if he could, he'd council against joining the efforts, no matter how important. Loss of any more Imilite mages could lead to waterbending having a similar fate as firebending. It would be likely that they would be targeted, as undoubtably Aodhan shall be, and Alex would not feel comfortable taking part in the destruction of his people. In fact, thats the opposite of his mission as emissary.

Alex decides within himself that he will help in any way he can, and perhaps he shall attempt to bring a small force of waterbenders- Master Jenna would be brilliant- to the battlefield.

"You can count on me to keep secrets. I shall clear anything with you before contacting any of my fellow Imilites."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Malazek wrote:The HG says "Allow me to gather the Lord-Generals, then ..." as he opens the door, and leaves.

As soon as he is gone ...

LG Draxus Ferall explains "Alex, I do not know if participating in this meeting was your concern, but I thought your expertise would be better against the rockbenders than that of our ordinary battlemages. That is why I recruited Aodhan Blas in the first place, but unfortunately he represents nobody but himself. His expertise will be greatly valued later, but for now the High-General must follow certian beaurocratic standards."

"Mordax,"
Draxus smirks, "Now you will see for yourself what goes on in this meetings. If their heads are truly stuck in their rear-ends (as you've always suspected), then this time you'll be here to pull their heads free." Draxus chuckles at the imagery in his mind.

"Permission to speak freely, sir," Corporal Frater says.
"Granted."

"Thank you, Lord-General." Turning to Verity, he says "Excuse me mister, I see you wear the symbol of the Raven Queen, yet you are not dressed like any of the Clerics in our great city. Might you have stumbled across a knight named Verity Servinus in your journeys? Something about you reminds me of him (especially since I recognize two of your companions as crazy hermits who live near Brackwater)."

"Davin, come with me please." The Princess grabs Davin's hand and leads him out onto the stage. She stops short of the rugged elf that remined Davin of her. "Davin, this my brother, Prince Helfare. Helfare, this is Palol Thaeraes, but he prefers to be called Davin Fletcher. He is the sole survivor of Talthanin, and I think he may be man you have been looking for."

"Please to meet you, Davin Fletcher. I am in need of a deadly archer who is skilled in stealth and survival, and possesses a keen eye. Do you think you are capable? The empire has asked me to train their ragtag collection of would-be rangers, but I have no-one skilled enough to lead them. One boy in particulair shows great promise, but he is too young and inexperienced to lead them. You strike me as more the loner type, but since you wear an Eladrin cloak maybe there's more to you than meets the eye. At any rate, if Rhyannon thinks you're capable, than I shall put my trust in you. What say you, Davin of Talthanin?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:24 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:
Malazek wrote:The HG says "Allow me to gather the Lord-Generals, then ..." as he opens the door, and leaves.

As soon as he is gone ...

LG Draxus Ferall explains "Alex, I do not know if participating in this meeting was your concern, but I thought your expertise would be better against the rockbenders than that of our ordinary battlemages. That is why I recruited Aodhan Blas in the first place, but unfortunately he represents nobody but himself. His expertise will be greatly valued later, but for now the High-General must follow certian beaurocratic standards."

"I will tell you all that I know, although Imil is a far away place that has little communication with the outside world for many years, and the information I have been learning has mainly concerned our own people; I will be able to transcribe the arcanic symbols and words in any books I should find dealing with the Elemental Arts that your ordinary mages will have no clue about." He smiles at Ferall.

Alex quickly launches into an explanation on the elemental magics for all those to hear.

"If there is time I shall provide you with as clear an explanation of our possibly misunderstood powers and limitations when I get a chance. For now I will warn you that is likely that the dwarves elementalists are likely to be all rock mages. Terramancers can shape the earth; expect heavy fortifications around their cities; created by the shifting hands of their many earthbenders. Earthbenders themselves are capable of manipulating earth in any of its forms; Sand, Rock, Metal, Stone, Crystal, and of course, living creatures. Like Waterbenders they can shift their substrate throughout its possibly configurations; Heating rock into lava; blasting it apart into sand; compressing it to metal or generating gems."

He clears his throat.

""As combatants Rockbenders are stalwart, and tough to destroy. Their arts are brutal; second only to the Firebenders; but less capable of controlling a battlefield due to this. Now; this is not due to a lack of practicality; it would be easy for Rockbenders to raise walls, clouds of sand, entrap foes within crystal or stony tombs, but the point is that they do not embrace these arts; unlike the Aquamancers and the Aeromancers. They are harsher; with some elements of battlefield control no doubt; but it isn't their main priority. That lies within destruction."

Alex looks up, his icy eyes shine with power.

"Thats enough for now; may I request both time to visit the Library and examine some lore- perhaps with one or two of your more widely learned mages- and a slot within one of the upcoming meetings to explain fully the tactics of Terramancy. Also. I would request some attempt be made to find any Windbenders that the army may know of; and some time and/or materials to contact my own people. In order to restore balance to the elements the Rockbenders must be stamped down."

---------
Can I get some confirmation; Are *most* Rockbenders from the Warlock Template? Can Firebenders be from the same; and Airbenders and Waterbenders be Wizards? Is that cool or did you have something else in mind (Cleric; Swordmages; Artificiers?)

I'd quite like to prepare a speech for Alex to give on the arts of elemental magic!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity spins to face Davin, his eyes wide and bright in the lamplight. "P-Prince Palol?" is all he manages.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:The HG says "Mordax," Draxus smirks, "Now you will see for yourself what goes on in this meetings. If their heads are truly stuck in their rear-ends (as you've always suspected), then this time you'll be here to pull their heads free." Draxus chuckles at the imagery in his mind.

Mordax peers into the distance, brows furrowed in thought. Running his thumb along the rune-etched tines of his trident, he purses his lips and says nothing.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:"Thats enough for now; may I request both time to visit the Library and examine some lore- perhaps with one or two of your more widely learned mages- and a slot within one of the upcoming meetings to explain fully the tactics of Terramancy. Also. I would request some attempt be made to find any Windbenders that the army may know of; and some time and/or materials to contact my own people. In order to restore balance to the elements the Rockbenders must be stamped down."
"Certianly, but this first meeting will begin in mere moments. Your request to debrief our battlemages and do further research, as well as your suggestion to seek out Windbenders, should be restated with the Lord-Generals present; those sorts of overall strategies is what this first meeting is about."

Alex wrote:Can I get some confirmation; Are *most* Rockbenders from the Warlock Template? Can Firebenders be from the same; and Airbenders and Waterbenders be Wizards? Is that cool or did you have something else in mind (Cleric; Swordmages; Artificiers?)
OOC: As previously stated, Benders from any of the four elements can be created with the Wizard, Warlock, or Swordmage classes (and perhaps the Artificer class, as well); their powers may also be built on the arcane powers of their "Monster Stat Blocks." This choice is basically a mechanical consideration, as they all draw their power from the elements (though, Warlocks bargain with elemental SPIRITS; while Wizards and Swordmages draw their power form the elements DIRECTLY). Most only learn one form (i.e. one class) of their elemental magic, but in rare cases multi-classing is possible (as Aodhan Blas is known to have done).

Certianly, I would think that most Imilities would be Wizards; and most Rockbenders would be Warlocks (Dwarven Con bonus, yo). Warlock also seems appropriate for Pyromancers; so I guess most Airbenders could mostly be Wizards.

NOTE: Aodhan is a Teifling HERETIC with the Wizard and Warlock Templates (making him a Solo Artillery Monster).

Also NOTE: The Rockbender you fought in the street was built with the Warlock template; but Mjolfnir of the Wise Stone might not be (but you know they BOTH have the "Ritual Caster" feat).

As you know, using "Water" is merely flavor; your powers still have effects based on the original descriptors: Force, Cold, Fire, Thunder, etc. This is true of all the benders.

Non-bendy Wizards and Swordmages draw their power from the Eldritch energy that permeates the Cosmos; non-bendy Warlocks draw on powerful otherworldly entities. In theory, this is less efficient when it comes to specific elements (which is why they wield multiple elements). That is, a normal Wizard can't use water to burn a person or use fire to suck the heat out of an object ... but he can burn with fire, or chill with cold.

I'm not quite sold on the idea of "Divine Benders" ... though those with the gift could certianly choose to follow a clerical path instead of (or in addition to) their magical careers. Many casters (of any stripe) follow Ioun, but ... Rockbenders typically follow Moradin or Torog, while Waterbenders typically follow Melora (though Mykondalar did mention that Tiamat was a water goddess); Airbenders typically follow Kord; Pelor seems like a good choice for Pyromancers, but since there's only one it's difficult to say.

In the ancient days, many of the benders followed a god called Tharizdun (the Elder Elemental Eye); but little is known of him, except that he has since been imprisoned. Sometimes cults of Tharizdun pop-up on the fringes of society, but they are always led by charismatic sociopaths who know very little about the chained god

Verity wrote:Verity spins to face Davin, his eyes wide and bright in the lamplight. "P-Prince Palol?" is all he manages.
The princess whispers "Oh, I just made that up. I mean, it might be true. Who knows? But it was basically a lie." Then, she leads Davin by the hand (as described above; and quoted below).

Malazek wrote:"Davin, come with me please." The Princess grabs Davin's hand and leads him out onto the stage. She stops short of the rugged elf that remined Davin of her. "Davin, this my brother, Prince Helfare. Helfare, this is Palol Thaeraes, but he prefers to be called Davin Fletcher. He is the sole survivor of Talthanin, and I think he may be man you have been looking for."

"Please to meet you, Davin Fletcher. I am in need of a deadly archer who is skilled in stealth and survival, and possesses a keen eye. Do you think you are capable? The empire has asked me to train their ragtag collection of would-be rangers, but I have no-one skilled enough to lead them. One boy in particulair shows great promise, but he is too young and inexperienced to lead them. You strike me as more the loner type, but since you wear an Eladrin cloak maybe there's more to you than meets the eye. At any rate, if Rhyannon thinks you're capable, than I shall put my trust in you. What say you, Davin of Talthanin?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:26 pm

Halcyon wrote:
Corporal Frater wrote:"Thank you, Lord-General." Turning to Verity, he says "Excuse me mister, I see you wear the symbol of the Raven Queen, yet you are not dressed like any of the Clerics in our great city. Might you have stumbled across a knight named Verity Servinus in your journeys? Something about you reminds me of him (especially since I recognize two of your companions as crazy hermits who live near Brackwater)."

Verity sweeps across the room to catch his eldest living sibling in a bear hug. Then he steps back to clasp Colonel Frater’s shoulders. “I don’t know that I’ve ever stumbled across myself, but perhaps with enough ale it could come to pass. We must take leave to find out as soon as duty permits, brother.” He finally removes the helm and wipes his face. He beams with joy and relief. “Even in these dark days this merits a celebration: Over a year and far from home, the Servinus brothers reunited, and you a Colonel. Gods I’ve much to tell you. What a long, strange year it’s been…”
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Verity wrote:Verity spins to face Davin, his eyes wide and bright in the lamplight. "P-Prince Palol?" is all he manages.

Though hidden in my cloak, I am stunned and confused. First, I think that I am just the butt of another joke, but Verity's and the General's reaction doesn't fit.

Malazek wrote:The princess whispers "Oh, I just made that up. I mean, it might be true. Who knows? But it was basically a lie." Then, she leads Davin by the hand (as described above; and quoted below).

I pull off my hood as the Princess explains herself. A mixture of relief and disappointment cross my features, clear to those trained to look for such reactions.

Malazek wrote:"Davin, come with me please." The Princess grabs Davin's hand and leads him out onto the stage. She stops short of the rugged elf that remined Davin of her. "Davin, this my brother, Prince Helfare. Helfare, this is Palol Thaeraes, but he prefers to be called Davin Fletcher. He is the sole survivor of Talthanin, and I think he may be man you have been looking for."

Bowing uncertainly, "Well met, my Lord."

Malazek wrote:"Please to meet you, Davin Fletcher. I am in need of a deadly archer who is skilled in stealth and survival, and possesses a keen eye. Do you think you are capable? The empire has asked me to train their ragtag collection of would-be rangers, but I have no-one skilled enough to lead them. One boy in particulair shows great promise, but he is too young and inexperienced to lead them. You strike me as more the loner type, but since you wear an Eladrin cloak maybe there's more to you than meets the eye. At any rate, if Rhyannon thinks you're capable, than I shall put my trust in you. What say you, Davin of Talthanin?"

I look to Rhyannon and then back to Helfare. "I am honoured to serve, my Lord, Milady. I can show them what I was taught - whether it serves as well as it serves me is up to them and remains to be seen. I will be honest: I have made promises to my companions, and I will not break my oath, but I do not see that as being a problem as they are here to help as well. At least, for the time being."

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Holy Crap!?!

Straegis turns back to the high-general and says "Is this seat for me then?" as he motions toward the empty chair. As he is sitting down, he thinks he hears the princess call Davin a Prince. "Can it be?" he mumbles, thinking back to the joke he made to Davin as they were getting in the wagon, his face twists in a somewhat puzzled way. Straegis listens to Alex and is again impressed by his attention to detail with regard to magics. "It's good that he is with us... Alex, when you go to the library, I would like to go with you."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:Verity sweeps across the room to catch his eldest living sibling in a bear hug. Then he steps back to clasp Colonel Frater’s shoulders. “I don’t know that I’ve ever stumbled across myself, but perhaps with enough ale it could come to pass. We must take leave to find out as soon as duty permits, brother.” He finally removes the helm and wipes his face. He beams with joy and relief. “Even in these dark days this merits a celebration: Over a year and far from home, the Servinus brothers reunited, and you a Colonel. Gods I’ve much to tell you. What a long, strange year it’s been…”
"Verity!! It's good to see you, brother. After all this is done, we'll have to grab a pint at the tavern."

Straegis II wrote:"Is this seat for me then?"
"Yes, indeed it is."

Davin wrote:"I am honoured to serve, my Lord, Milady. I can show them what I was taught - whether it serves as well as it serves me is up to them and remains to be seen. I will be honest: I have made promises to my companions, and I will not break my oath, but I do not see that as being a problem as they are here to help as well. At least, for the time being."
"Yay! the Princess cheers. Her brother responds, "Hmm. Well, we will appreciate any help you can give. After this meeting, I will introduce you to the Empire's new archers."
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

After a few minutes, the High-General calls those who are needed back into the backroom:
  • The High-General
  • Junior-Marshal Straegis II
  • Alex of Imil
  • Davin Fletcher (and Hound)
  • Mordax (who still hasn't offically accepted a rank)
  • Sir Verity Servinus
  • Corporal Frater Servinus
  • Prince Helfare of the Femdrell
  • The Lord-General Draxus Ferall
  • The Other 11 Lord-Generals.
    • Lady-General Arietess
    • Lord-General "Bull" Aldebaran
    • Lord-General Kaster Pollux
    • Lord-General Karkinos
    • Lord-General Leonard Regulus
    • Lord-General Virgil Spica
    • Lady-General Zubina Liber
    • Lord-General Antares
    • Lord-General Chiron
    • Lady-General Manon Van-Pysium
    • Lord-General Eridon Phaeton
After quick introductions, the HG begins with a slight bow, "Lords and Ladies, Champions and Allies: We now know that Dwaven Confederacy does indeed plan to attack our Great City. This information cost many Eladrin spies their lives, and was delivered to us by none other than Straegis II." With a wave of his hand, he indicates Straegis to the Noble Generals.

"So, now we must decide upon a course of action. Unfortunately, we still don't know where or when they plan to attack, so multiple contingencies will need to be readied; but we can only do so much. As we discussed before, determining a wise level of discretion and prioritization will be major part of the task at hand."

"I'll open the floor to all of you. Who would like to begin?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Swifthand wrote:Looking around at the high ranking and important people standing around the table, I wait a moment for them to speak. Surely the gathered experts here have far greater wisdom and insight then I. However, the moment passes, and still no one says anything. Steeling myself, I take a hesitant step forward.

Clearing my throat, "General, if I may?"

Assuming I am allowed to continue....

"Something has been bothering me, something you stated when we were first led into the meeting room. You said that a force of Dwarves had gathered in the hills outside the city walls, and then, as of approximately an hour ago, seemingly disappeared. Man and Beast can do many things, General, however, vanishing into thin air is usually not one of them. These Dwarves went somewhere. I have suspicions - Dwarves are known as expert miners in peacetime, sappers and tunnelers in war. Until someone investigates, suspicions are all they will be. I would be glad to check out the area, Sir. I am a skilled tracker - if these Dwarves left any sign of their destination, I will find it."

Looking around again, and realizing everyone is staring at me, I clear my throat and take a step back, face a bit flushed.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:"... I would be glad to check out the area, Sir. I am a skilled tracker - if these Dwarves left any sign of their destination, I will find it."
The HG responds, "Hmm, yeah. That's a good idea." He nods to the Corporal who quickly writes it down.
The LGs begin to whisper among themselves, seemingly in agreement.

"Any others?" he asks of everyone else.
magicspellz12 wrote:Alex nods as Davin sits down. But keeps his lips firmly pressed together. He has no idea where to even begin; but awaits the speeches of those other generals present.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:28 pm

Malazek wrote:Prince Helfare says "If possible, we should try to use Guerilla tactics; striking from range, and then retreating into cover. Dwarves are notoriously slow, after all."

The HG responds, "Yes. Hopefully, we can do that."
Again, he nods to the young Corporal who quickly writes it down.

The LGs whisper among themselves, seemingly in agreement.

Then, Lord-General Karkinos (with his graying lambchop sideburns) says "I would like to ask a question of our guests; particuliarly the Imilite and the Junior-Marshal" ... "Are there any magicks we should be particuliarly concerned about? Undoubtedly, the Dwarves will come at us with superior arms and armor, elemental warmachines, powerful clerics, and their bedamned earth magicks. What can we do to mitigate their advantages?"

Again, the LGs whisper among themselves, this time in anticipation; and then they all turn to listen silently to your response.

After the HG comments your the response ...

Lord-General Kaster Pollux (with his Grey Bushy Eyebrows) says "I have a question for Sir Verity. As an ordained representative of the Raven Queen, can you make our soliders immune to death?"

The other LGs moan at the suggestion, and whisper complaints against their colleague.

Then, After the HG comments your the response ...

Lord-General Antares (and his gray Handlebar Mustache; known together as "the Scorpion Prince") says "Mordax. As a hero of previous wars, what do you think our odds are of cutting off the HEAD of the beast, so-to-speak? Y'know, killing their leadership, in order to stop the tide of peons?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next