Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

+2
magicspellz12
Malazek
6 posters

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 26 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

Post  Halcyon Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:32 pm

“Would I bring war to this sanctified ground you ask? I cannot bring what was already brought: time and again for over a year this holy place has been stained with blood. I hope we can put an end to that now.
Diplomacy: 33

“I have questions as well, first for Great Rihn.”

At that he clasps arms with the giant.
“My heart soars to know Fate has use for you in this world yet. Your return here marks fulfillment of my great quest. Once again these hallowed halls shall revebrate with the Word.
“Can you tell us if Billious* lived through the slaughter of innocents here? ANd would you have your old Holy Symbol returned?”

OCC: *Billious actually died before the Massacre, from acute indigestion brought on by too much rat on a stick. The true Rihn will know this, Verity seeks to verify his identity.

Insight: 30
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 26 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

Post  Malazek Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:53 am

Verity wrote:"I cannot bring what was already brought: time and again for over a year this holy place has been stained with blood. I hope we can put an end to that now."
"GOOD. Then we are in agreement? The temple shall be returned, and the Empire shall not be allowed to pass."

Verity wrote:“Can you tell us if Billious* lived through the slaughter of innocents here?
"Bilbious? Nay, o' course nots! Dat rat-eatin' gasbag up n' dieth long 'efore da gigants attacks us."

Verity wrote:“AND would you have your old Holy Symbol returned?”
"Nay. Lets it passeth unto Vanngly da Hairfaced one; 'is oldeth one be as inad'quate, anyhows. 'Sides, dis newers one I be's a wearin' now shall serveth as da reminder o' da Dwarf Kings' wisdoms an' da un'erstan'in's we haveth 'tween us."

Verity wrote:Insight: 30
It seems to be the real Rinh. He isn't oblivious to your worries, here; but for whatever reason, he has decided to talk as if the whole situation is normal (par for the course, so to speak).

Last edited by Malazek on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:59 am

The paladin leans in close and very quietly asks his spiritual leader, The King condemns the Massacre here, yet mere days ago you were shackled to his throne. What compels this new understanding between you?”
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:36 am

Whispering in response, the Great Rinh replies "I an he talketh fer many an long hours; bout da faiths an da virtues, bout da un'erstanins an da obilgations, an bout da gods an da mens of dis worl'. We see'eth eye t' an eye, now. Like da most men, da Dwarfs lack da deeper un'erstanins; but der king be wise an worl'weary. Twasn't his fault da hags an gigants attacketh us, but 'is folks should naught 'ave added woe t' woe. He means ta set us rights, again; but he must protecteth his own peoples, too."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:44 pm

The Saga wrote: "GOOD. Then we are in agreement? The temple shall be returned, and the Empire shall not be allowed to pass."

“For a score years, our Emperor brought forth on this continent an expansionist rule, conceived in high palace towers and dedicated to increasing the already prosperous holdings of Etol. Now all the many people of this great Empire, from the Island States to the Eastern Peninsula, are joined under one banner.
“Many of her allies rejoiced in Etol’s return to Glory: trade and diplomatic relations with Etol has been brisk and to the benefit of all. That is until now.
“Because of course one ally of Etol saw her might as a threat.
“The dwarven assault on the Imperial City was a shock to all, carefully planned and without mercy. None who were present shall ever forget the carnage, the great boulders that crashed all around took no quarter, crushing man, woman, child, babe.
“Fighting back the Horde in dark caves all these centuries has instilled ruthless cunning and mettle in your people, there can be no doubt. You have leart much from your age-old enemies. Ever keeping the greenskins at bay: It is a burden that earned the Empires appreciation when the Dwarves were her allies. It was an arrangement that could only have benefited Dwarves and Humans alike, and for all time – The dwarves defending neighboring human lands from below and the humans defending Dwarven borders from above.
“I do not claim the concern over Imperial expansion was entirely unwarranted: Sazar IX’s conquest left the Kingdom Under the Mountain an island of independent rule.
“Whether Sazar IX sought to become the first Etolic Emperor to extend his borders below ground, we shall never know. The Emperor was one of the thousands slain in that first brutal assault on the ancient capital, dead instantly when his command tower crashed aground. I prepared his soul to meet the Queen myself.”
“Which begets a historic question – King Njörðr, Saga, for what do you still war with the Humans, we who have long counted each other friends? The new Emperor is a great man, as Lord of the March he made Sazar IX’s expansion dream manifest. Not unlike yourself, King, Emperor Ferrel knows well the mettle and cunning that marks a true leader, never shying away from the thick of the fight. He too makes a devastating foe… and also a benevolent ally. Our new Emperor is not intoxicated with the glory of conquest, he knows too much of the grim realities of battle. He is a man both pragmatic and wise. So if your goal is peace and safety for your people, King, then speak with him. Something of the amiable relations between dwarves and men which profitted both for generations will return, in time.
“Elsewise this passage you seek to protect will be assaulted. If we block the passage of men, goblins, orcs, or some other will take the opportunity. I don’t need to tell you there are far worse things in the Underdark than the Horde- -things that have waited years, even centuries for the right time to strike at the legendary Dwarven Trove. That time could come soon if war lingers and your forces spread ever thinner.
"Or instead all our homes can be safe again and a new era for Man and Dwarf can begin.”

Here Verity leans far forward and covering his mouth barely whispers “…And I swear, here in my Temple and on my very Faith, your Terramancers orchestrated this war, using fear to motivate the Dwarven leadership to war. They spurn Moradin for elemental magic and would upset the balance of the God’s creation to bring a stony Armageddon. Your greatest threat is behind you, not before.”

Again he stands tall and lets his voice carry through the hall.
“You began this war to protect your people, now end it for the same reason. Moradin teaches the primacy of hearth and home, I’m sure you will consider well your kingdon’s safety in your decision.”
“For the Queen’s part, She cares little whether a bit more blood is spilt on this piece of ground. Now or later She wil have Her reckoning in the end. It will avail you nothing, but fight us if you must, for every death is a prayer to the Queen of Winter, and She wins all battles.”

Diplomacy: 46 (Natch!!!)
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sat May 01, 2010 5:16 pm

O.o.C.: My apologies for the delays, living in a destination city for vacationing family can seriously occupy much of your free time. Smile

Minor: Activate Factotum Helm: Diplomacy

"If i may interject sir...please understand that the events of our recent past our not as they may seem. So deep runs the conspiracy and trickery that even my noble people were not exempt from it. Hopefully sir you are aware of my family's name and reputation, consider in your decisions the fact that I am here. How can you underestimate the importance of the message we deliver if the Eladrin were willing to send one of their esteemed sons to make certain that the story was presented correctly? I stand before you as a noble son of the Eladrin as well as an Ambassador from the humans to implore to consider all of the facts, including the ones we bring you now, before you make a decision."

Diplomacy(to assist): 1d20=2+5(helm)+8(half-lvl)=15
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sat May 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Davin Fletcher steps forward from the shadows of the hidden alcove above.

"My people were the first to pay in blood for the treacheries wrought by those who would control all elemental power - the first conspiracy among many, some taking centuries to come to fruit. Now, I, Palol Thaeraes, am the last son of Talth'Anin. By the blood of my fathers, and by the power of the Eye of Hemingr, I swear this to be true: the men of Etol, the Eladrin, the elves of Talth'Anin, none were ever your enemy. And, if the stony remains of the Handmaiden of the Raven Queen - slain months ago defending these halls and left petrified in the very next room - is not enough to convince you of who was truly behind this perfidy, we, the last remaining Companions of Brackwater, have other evidence as well."

"The written words and plans of the conspirators themselves. Proof, your Highness."

Diplomacy (aid) - 25

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat May 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Verity wrote:“our Emperor brought forth ... an expansionist rule, conceived in high palace towers ... Now all the many people of this great Empire ... rejoiced ... trade and diplomatic relations ... has been brisk and to the benefit of all. That is until now. one ally ... saw her might as a threat ... The dwarven assault ... was a shock to all, carefully planned and without mercy. ... Fighting back the Horde in dark caves all these centuries has instilled ruthless cunning and mettle in your people, there can be no doubt. You have leart much from your age-old enemies ... It is a burden that earned the Empires appreciation when the Dwarves were her allies."

“I do not claim the concern over Imperial expansion was entirely unwarranted: Sazar IX’s conquest left the Kingdom Under the Mountain an island of independent rule. Whether Sazar IX sought to become the first Etolic Emperor to extend his borders below ground, we shall never know. The Emperor was one of the thousands slain in that first brutal assault on the ancient capital"

“ for what do you still war with the Humans? The new Emperor is a great man ... Emperor Ferrel knows well the mettle and cunning that marks a true leader … and also a benevolent ally. Our new Emperor is not intoxicated with the glory of conquest, he knows too much of the grim realities of battle. He is a man both pragmatic and wise. So if your goal is peace and safety for your people"

“Elsewise, this passage ... will be assaulted. If we block the passage of men, goblins, orcs, or some other will take the opportunity. I don’t need to tell you there are far worse things in the Underdark than the Horde- -things that have waited years, even centuries for the right time to strike at the legendary Dwarven Trove ... war lingers ... your forces spread ever thinner.
"Again, your rhetoric is well-crafted. And persuasive. Ferell is Emperor, now? Very well, I shall speak with the new Emperor."

Verity wrote:Verity ... barely whispers “…And I swear ... your Terramancers orchestrated this war, using fear to motivate ... They spurn Moradin ... and would upset the balance of the the god’s creation to bring a stony Armageddon. Your greatest threat is behind you, not before.”
The Dwarf King's only response is a nod so slight that Verity's not even sure he saw it.

Verity wrote:"You began this war to protect your people, now end it for the same reason.”
Straegis wrote: "If i may interject ... events ... are not as they may seem. So deep runs the conspiracy ... consider in your decisions the fact that I am here. ... the Eladrin were willing to send one of their esteemed sons to make certain that the story was presented correctly?"
"You have been sent to present a tale of some significance? Very well, I shall listen to it ... in private."

Davin wrote:Davin Fletcher steps forward from the shadows of the hidden alcove above. "My people were the first to pay in blood for the treacheries wrought ... I, Palol Thaeraes, am the last son of Talth'Anin. ... by the power of the Eye of Hemingr, I swear this to be true: the men of Etol, the Eladrin, the elves of Talth'Anin, none were ever your enemy. ... we ... have other evidence as well. ... The written words and plans of the conspirators themselves."
The Saga gestures to his elite troops with some type of secret hand signal; the rear ten turn, and push through the crowd behind them, dissappearing into the rank and file troops as they leave the room. "Thaeraes, eh? Bring that eye of yours, and lead us to someplace ... hidden. I will hear your tale, and I will consider your evidence."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Mon May 03, 2010 12:00 pm

The Saga wrote:"Again, your rhetoric is well-crafted. And persuasive. Ferell is Emperor, now? Very well, I shall speak with the new Emperor."

“Excellent. I’m sure the two of you shall come to a mutually agreeable accord between our peoples and end this bloody war.We will send word to the Emperor presently, I expect he will agree to meet you here on the sacred and neurtal ground of this Temple and in the next days. While we await his arrival your army may camp on the Undermountain Road outside the Temple. If you prefer, your generals and yourself may take your quarters here in the Temple with us until the talks begin.”

The Saga wrote:"You have been sent to present a tale of some significance? Very well, I shall listen to it ... in private...."

The Saga wrote:"Thaeraes, eh? Bring that eye of yours, and lead us to someplace ... hidden. I will hear your tale, and I will consider your evidence."

“Right this way,” Verity motions the King deeper into the Temple to rendezvous with Davin and on to a location where they can all speak more candidly.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Mon May 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Straegis follows the others to the spot Verity locates and prepares to enlighten the king to more than one side of the story.

O.o.C.: Do I need to prepare another sending ritual?

DM EDIT: Fixed error.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon May 03, 2010 1:37 pm

The Dwarf King follows Verity and Straegis into passages behind the alcoves, which eventually connect with the tunnel Davin used to reach the walkway, and then toward the inner chambers. Once a suitably private room is reached (a small lounge, once used for counselling), he stands quiently and waits for Straegis's tale.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Tue May 04, 2010 1:48 pm

When all of his allies are present Straegis says, "This story sir, will take more than myself to tell. Please allow my allies to interject freely." He starts with as much as he can remember, telling the king of the traitorous Eladrin who wished to undermine the security of his own home. He informs him of the risks taken to insure the safe delivery of military intelligence to the human armies. When he gets to the part of the story involving the terramancers and their plot to disrupt the balance of nexus powers he waits for his friends input to ensure the facts are delivered accurately.

Diplomacy(?): 1d20=15+5(helm)+8(half-lvl)=28

O.o.C.: I'm not sure here, I thought I was assisting on Dipl.? Lemme know.

DM EDIT: Diplomacy is fine, but it's not an "aid" roll ... an actual Diplomacy check is needed. But a 28 works just fine.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue May 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Davin will support Straegis' story by adding the tale of Talth'Anin and then reiterating the parties "talking points" about the Terramancers.

"I said we carry proof, your Majesty, and that is exactly what I have. I hope you have a way to see text that has been obscured by magic - the Eyepatch of Hemingr gave us that power for a time, and blessed me with that power after it's departure. If so, all the proof you need is contained in this tome, the Book of Stone."

Diplomacy (aiding Straegis with talking points) - 16
Diplomacy (my story and the "proof")(+2 circ bonus for bringing up the Eyepatch?!) - 22

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Tue May 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Verity aids his friends by interjecting further detail as requested.

OCC: Diplomacy, take ten - 37 and 37

“Ambassador Straegis, while in possession of the Eyepatch, made the astonishing discovery of this very tome.”
Verity presents the Saga with The Book of Stone.
“Between the lines of mundane writing lies irrefutable proof of a conspiracy: a plot that spans generations and with Men, Elves, Eladrin and Dwarves enmeshed in it’s unthinkable purpose – to end our world. The hidden text served as a means of communication for it's authors, referred to within by initials only but whom we have determined to be Mjolfnir of the Wise Stone and his subordinates Ivar and Tarn. Scouting the Imperial Capital in preparation for this war brought them close to their true goal, the Nexus of Elemental Magic in Etol. The text refers not only to their true goal but also a co-conspirator. A man, Adham Bin Ammar, a Sandbender from the East. It eludes to their Eladrin and Formorian allies. And the book tells of their hope that Mjolfindir could convince you, and you in turn could convince the Dwarven people that war was necessary for their survival.
"As I said, your greatest enemy is not the Empire, mighty as she may be. The greatest threat you face is the same as we - those who hide among us and patiently move the world ever closer to Armageddon.”

Diplomacy: 41
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 am

Verity gives the King a moment to comment if he chooses to before continuing.

“While we have a clear picture of the conspirators goals, some critical pieces of the puzzle are still missing.
“Your people through the ages have remained overall an honest and forthright lot. Dwarves ever make their way in the world through hard work, hard battle and hard drink. So why does a race, blunt and effective as the hammers they weild, become enmeshed in such an arcane ploy? Why do Men, Elves, and Eladrinn and what exactly causes folk of these fair races to ally with Fomorians in a centuries long plot to end their own world?
“We must know what enemy of the Gods conceived this sinister plot and nearly crafted it’s completion. For if the mastermind of this plot is not dug out of hiding to suffer the light of justice, our decendants shall be doomed to hold a discussion much like this one years hence, when again the world teters on the brink.
"The one who has worked towards Doomsday for all these many years will not give up over our little setback. He, or it, will seek another way to end our world.
“But who could it be? Certainly not Baba the Hag, Palol took her out like blind slow-witted hamster. Mjolfindir of the Wise Stone then? Perhaps…
“This Temple is littered with grosteque corpses – parts of Orcs, Goblins and more exotic creatures stitched together in a mockery of the God’s creation. Also deep in the underdark far beyond the Temple doors we found a cloak that once belonged to an old foe of yours, King Njörðr.
“All this begets the question, did you indeed slay Maritron the Mindbender 75 years ago as the story goes?”

Diplomacy: 40
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 pm

The Dwarf king listens quietly, scrutinizing each speaker in turn. When presented with the book, he turns it over in his hands, examining it briefly before returning his gaze to the heroes. When Verity pauses with a question, the Dwarf King answers. "MERITRON's CLOAK?! Yes, he is surely dead ... but an element of his work does seem present in this plot. We shall have to invistigate."

"The hag Baba may have crafted the abominations you speak of, but I doubt she had the mind to invent such a procedure. The hand of Maritron is present in her work ... but how? That is what we must find out."

"I ordered my personal guard to arrest the Rockbenders present here. Mjolfnir and the others will be apprehended, as well ... and interrogated."

"I know OF this Adham Bin Ammar, but we have not met. I shall remedy that oversight, as soon as I am done speaking with the new Emperor."

Holding up the book of STONE, he asks "May I borrow this? It WILL be returned."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed May 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Malazek wrote:Holding up the book of STONE, he asks "May I borrow this? It WILL be returned."

Davin nods to the Dwarven liege.

Insight - 30

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed May 05, 2010 8:20 pm

What happen to the quotes? No more boxes - they look weird.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 pm

Swifthand wrote:What happen to the quotes? No more boxes - they look weird.
OOC: I dunno. The whole forum looks f'd up to me.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu May 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin nods to the Dwarven liege.
Insight - 30
It would seem he has already decided to believe your version of events, but wants to borrow the book to have it fully analyzed.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Fri May 07, 2010 11:27 am

"We can begin tracing Baba's link to Maritron by searching her body, and the temple.
"As Straegis said, we will perform a Sending to the Emperor that you would speak to him of a return to peace between our people and of final resolution of the threats against us all.
"Wise King: Is there anything in particular that you would like to communicate to Emperor Ferrel? Or would you prefer to have your clerics send word of your wishes?"
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 26 Empty Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remnants"

Post  Malazek Fri May 07, 2010 4:36 pm

Verity wrote:"We can begin tracing Baba's link to Maritron by searching her body, and the temple."
"Excellent idea."

Verity wrote:"As Straegis said, we will perform a Sending to the Emperor that you would speak to him of a return to peace between our people and of final resolution of the threats against us all. ... Wise King: Is there anything in particular that you would like to communicate to Emperor Ferrel? Or would you prefer to have your clerics send word of your wishes?"
"Just tell him I am ready to discuss a treaty. He is a wise man, he should be willing to do the same."

Last edited by Malazek on Tue May 11, 2010 1:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sat May 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Straegis begins to gather the necessary components for the sending ritual as the group makes their way to search the fallen hag. As they walk, he says to the king "Wise and noble king, in light of the recent unfolding of events, is it possible for you to return the favor of your esteemed people to your 'prodigal' son, WoeVangg Rinh? He has proven his bravery and strength in numerous ways and was even awarded the position of High Chapain by the humans, all while never giving up his dwarven steadfastness. To be truthful sir, without his valor I can assure you that none of us would be here and the conspiracy that almost damned our world would have succeeded."

Diplomacy: 1d20=10+8(half-lvl)+5(helm)=23

O.o.C.: Might need a little help with this one fellas, figured now was as good a time as any to try to get Vangg admitted back to his fold (maybe he'd want to stay to get reacquainted?). Here's my idea for the sending ritual, add/subtract if you think we need to, just let me know. "Brackwater heroes have parlay with Dwarf king at cave temple, upon disclosure of recent facts he wishes to discuss treaty with Emperor Ferell." I've already subracted the components.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun May 09, 2010 1:21 pm

Straegis wrote:"return the favor of your esteemed people to your 'prodigal' son, WoeVangg Rinh? He has proven his bravery and strength."
"WoeVangg was not exiled; he left of his own accord. Admittedly, his brethren shunned him and his heretical views, but they did not force his exodus. If WoeVangg wishes to return, he may; but I doubt his kin will be anymore accepting of his ways ... Of course, his honorable contribution to the events here will be included in the annals of history, and I shall do my best to portray his involvement in the glorious light he deserves ... but I cannot guarantee that will be enough to sway the opinions of all Dwarves."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue May 11, 2010 11:57 am

OOC: So, what's up?
Is Straegis is casting a Sending Ritual, then?
Is Verity is Searching Babs's body?
Is there anything else?
Gimme some rolls.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next