Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

+2
magicspellz12
Malazek
6 posters

Page 25 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 25 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

Post  Halcyon Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Babette, a hag...Agatha's eldest sister Babs, the Hag schooled in necromantic arts?
The realization sets the Death Knight's heart pounding, thrumming in his ears like a funeral dirge. A wordless cry of vengeance accompanies his blade as it sings through the air.

Init: 14
Move: If needed to get in range to...
Free: "Aaaarrrrrgh!" while
Standard: Charging the Hag with Virtuous Strike, 36 to hit, 14 damage
Minor: Challenge Babs.

OCC: If the first move is unnecessary Verity will shift to help arrange a flank.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 25 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

Post  macksgarageusa Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:22 pm

Straegis II: HP:96/96 AC:29 Fort:25 Ref:25 Will:22 Healing Surges:9/9 Action Points:1

Initiative: 1d20=3+9=12

Straegis' heart races as he realizes this "woman" is a hag "Agatha's sister..." he mumbles to himself. He instinctively grabs his javelin and gets ready to stop her before she can bring any more of the "dead" back to join the fight.

Move: If necessary up to 6 sq.
Standard: Ranged Attack on the Hag.

Attack: 1d20=14+16=30
Damage: 1d6=2+9=11

O.o.C.: Just in case, I figured I'll give ya another rounds worth of actions- Lather, Rinse, Repeat, unless she moves close enough to us for melee.

Rd. 2...

Move: If necessary up to 6 sq.
Standard: Ranged Attack on the Hag.

Attack: 1d20=4+16=20
Damage: 1d6=1+9=10
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Making the same connection that his companions did, Davin riddles the Hag with acid bolts and orders Hound to attack.

Free - Hemingr's Accuracy
Minor - Designate Hag as my HQ
Move - None? (Don't know the layout)
Standard - Confounding Arrows
AP - Twin Strike

Initiative - 32
Attack - 38, 25 (I assume a miss), 42 (natch)
Elven Accuracy - 42
Damage - 23, 35, 46
HQ Damage- 24
Acid Bolt Damage - 8, 10, 10
Crit Damage - 14
AP Attack- 40, 37
Damage - 14, 17
Acid Bolt Damage - 7, 3

Hag is Stunned (Save ends) and taking an ongoing 5 Acid x5 (Save ends each)

Hound

Minor - Designate Hag as my HQ
Move/Standard - Charge (Flank with Verity)
AP - Brash Strike

Initiative - 14
Attack - 35
Damage - 12 (Knocked Prone)
HQ Damage- 4
AP - 36
Damage - 14
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:54 pm

The Hag starts toward Vangg, just as Verity's battlecry fills the air; the knight's blade is upon her. Straegis's javelin and Davin's arrows sink deep, while Hound gnaws at her ankles. The Brothers Rinh join in the fun, illuminatin the hag with radiant energies. The rest of the monster squad doesn't move in time to add their lots to the fight; Babs drops to the ground, riddled with holes, and screaming. "Nooo! What have you done?!"

And with that, she crumples to the floor.

1333 XPs Each for the Encounter. + 3200 Each for Completing a Major Quest.
That brings the heroes' totals to 73,539. That's enough for 16th Level.

Add HPs. Add half-level (to attacks, defenses, initaive, skills, attribute checks, etc).
Add a utility Power. Add a Feat. And don't forget your Paragon Feature.

When the screaming stops, and the excitement wanes, the heroes feel a slight tremor in the rock, pounding an excalating beat. Its slight, but their danger-honed senses pick-up on it. Davin is, of course, keenly aware of it ... paying closer attention to the phenomenon, he quickly makes out the distant sound of marching boots: 10,000 strong. As he explains his findings to his companions, the remaining acid from the bolts eats away at the dead hag's flesh, filling the air with an acrid scent.

The temple itself is a large round room (60 or 70 feet in diameter, with a domed cieling maybe 50 feet at his peak), noticably more bare than the temple in the Imperial City. In fact, it's empty, save for the bodies and whatever supplies the Dwarven Army left behind (boxes, barrels, cots, etc). Some wooden furniture rests against the far wall; Juugug identifies them as the pews and podium of the old temple.

Shadowy recess around the peremiter reportedly lead to side chapels and secret staircases, some of which must lead up to the narrow catwalk which surrounds the room (about 30 feet above the main floor, and only a yard wide; no bullstade is present). As Taalgarnuk tells it, the Great Rinh used to stand in the center of this room; the various Priests of the Temple would gather around in circles, either on the floor here in the main room, or up on the catwalk, with their legs dangling over the edge.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Verity listens reverently as Tully and Juugug reminice about their time here. Then he asks, "About those approaching soldiers..they're coming from the beach? our forces have arrived?"

DM EDIT: Sorry, no. They are coming from the other direction (from deeper within the mountain).
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:54 pm

O.o.C.: w00t!!!

"We can't fight the whole army. Do we have time for a sending ritual to find out how far away our own defenses are? I say we fall back until we figure it out."
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:35 pm

"If we let the incoming soldiers take up defensible position here it will be a bloody battle to take the Temple back. What are our other options? Could we create a cave in? Could we hold them in a narrow passage? Any other ideas?"
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:12 pm

The Brothers Rinh are opposed to "falling back." It's a sound tactical option, but the clergy are remiss to abandon the Cave Temple so soon after reclaiming it (even if reclamation was uncontested). They understand that you will be badly outnumbered, and will likely be slaughtered before your troops even arrive ... but if you can delay the enemy (either through obstruction of defense) just long enough for the ship to arrive in Jaru, then it just might work.

In the end, though, they agree that finding out who the marchers are is probably a good idea; operating on assumtpions is rarely wise.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Davin will scout ahead, using his silly speed and stealth, coupled with his ridiculous perception (no dice at work and haven't had time to level up yet, could you roll for me, and add +1 for level up?).

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Moving along the Undermountain Road, Davin is surprised by how spacious and well-maintained it is. Dwarves: go figure. Even more surprising is how far away the marchers prove to be; the beat if their synchronous marching sending vibrations miles through the raw stone of the mountain. Of course, Davin accounts for this by the time he gets within sight of the approaching army, and still waaaaay to far away for them to see him (two miles, at least).

What he sees is indeed an army of Dwarves, ten-thousand strong. At their current rate, they should reach the Cave Temple in two or three hours.

Leading the march are 40 of the sternest long-beards, dressed in rune-etched shining mithril plate, that Davin has ever encountered. Or even heard of. Leading these crack troops is a Dwarf of such stunning stature that Davin is taken aback.

Like his retinue, the lead Dwarf wears rune-covered mithril armor; but his glows. The glow isn't a tangible glow - no bright lights or anything like that - but his entire image is undeniably more vibrant than the others. At his side is heavy axe of such massive power that the Eye if Hemingr is immediately unsettled by the sight of it. Atop the head of this majestic leader sits a gem-encrusted golden crown, easily worth millions of gold coins.

Walking freely besides the lead Dwarf is an unsually small giant. At first, Davin is unable to tell what "type" of giant he might be ... but after a second glance, the elf identifies the being as an Ogre of some type ... but this Ogre is atleast two heads taller than any Ogre Davin has ever seen. And he carries himself with remarkable dignity and confidence.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:26 pm

O.o.C.: I was sick for a few days this past weekend, and I have family in town visiting now. Sorry for the delays. I want to go ahead and put together a sending ritual to find out exactly how far away the reinforcements are. I will go ahead and subtract the components now. This is my idea(ish): "Brackwater heroes at cave temple, encountering massive army. How soon can we expect your arrival? Undead are still wandering the area." I will gladly amend the message for anyones suggestions. I'll try to post as frequently as possible. If necessary, plz post for me.
p.s. are we supposed to level up now or after extended rest?
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:O.o.C.: I was sick for a few days this past weekend, and I have family in town visiting now. Sorry for the delays. I want to go ahead and put together a sending ritual to find out exactly how far away the reinforcements are. I will go ahead and subtract the components now. This is my idea(ish): "Brackwater heroes at cave temple, encountering massive army. How soon can we expect your arrival? Undead are still wandering the area." I will gladly amend the message for anyones suggestions. I'll try to post as frequently as possible. If necessary, plz post for me.
While Davin investigates the marching sound, Straegis sets up and performs another Sending to the ship. The answer: "Three days yet, if the weather allows. Will Rendezvous with Imilites along the way."

macksgarageusa wrote:O.o.C.: p.s. are we supposed to level up now or after extended rest?
OOC: Technically, you're supposed to wait, but go ahead and level up, anyway ... after all, you have had extended rest recently, so MOST of this level's xps were before the rest, anyway. I think that's close enough, this time.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Straegis will relay the info to his allies and await Davin's return and his report from scouting the area. "Three days for reinforcements fellas. I guess we better find a great place to funnel the army and dig in."
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:18 am

OCC: is Davin back to tell us about the Ogre and Dwarves and whether they resemble the Great Rihn and the Dwarf King? Does it look like the ogre is a captive, doesn't sound like it.
Heading to Mexico presently, will be back the 24th. Will post whenever I can.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:31 am

Halcyon wrote:OCC: is Davin back to tell us about the Ogre and Dwarves and whether they resemble the Great Rihn and the Dwarf King? Does it look like the ogre is a captive, doesn't sound like it.
Heading to Mexico presently, will be back the 24th. Will post whenever I can.

O.O.C. - Sure, i'm back.

EDIT - OK, not back.

Insight on Rihn and the Dwarf leader - 31

After taking the measure of the Dwarven forces and their "captive", Davin returns to the others and explains what he saw.

OK, now really back.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Swifthand wrote:Insight on Rihn and the Dwarf leader - 31
OOC: Who says it's Rinh?

Davin studies Njörðr the Saga and the Great Rinh as they walk together along the underdark higbway. Both have incredible compusure and could be difficult to read, but Davin doesn't think either is trying to hide anything; he senses a profound level of trust and respect between the two. Watching them longer, he senses the Dwarf King is "determined" to do something, but what he can't tell. Likewise, Rinh seems both relieved and satisfied. The elite guards surrounding them seem stoic and devoted, proudly carrying out their duty. The remaining troops, however, are concerned and confused (they are quite easy to read).

Davin sidles back to the others and explains what he witnessed.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:53 am

O.o.C.: Am I correct in assuming that a fight may not be necessary here? From our intel it seems that "Rinh" may not be in dire straits. Advice/insights from allies will be greatly appreciated here. If a skirmish is deemed necessary, Straegis will definitely have input on strategeries for the battle.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:51 pm

OCC: Holy too much work Batman! Good to be back in the US, really.

"It may well be that the Hag had the Saga enchanted through her witchery - through all the Dwarven King's diabolical misdeeds.

"We shall know their purpose soon enough, for good or for ill.

"Here's what I propose: Let us approach the Saga's host. I shall stand before them to greet The Great Rihn and The Saga - no doubt it will then become clear what we need to do next. Best our forces meet at a defensible crossroad if there is such a place between here and there. When we get close to the Dwarves, Straegis ought to keep an eye out for such a tactical defensive position.

"Are we agreed then?"
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:34 pm

"Agreed."

Davin will find a hidden alcove (I believe there were several on the second floor?) that will give him a good view of Verity's parlay. He will also send Hound with the "ground forces".

Stealth - 40

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:59 am

OOC: Internet at work keeps crashing. Can't stay on long enough to make good post. Will get to it tomorrow.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:06 pm

OOC: I'm not completely sure what you guys are doing here. Verity says "approach the host" but Davin is looking for a hiding place on the second floor of the room you are in. So, considering how long of a delay we've had, I am going to fast-forward and just say that this room is as defensible as any spot between here and there.

Some number of hours later ...

The Dwarf King and the Great Rinh walk together toward the Cave Temple, followed closely by the Saga's sturdiest Longbreads. Behind them, a legion of Dwarves marching in ground-pounding unison. When they reach the temple, the Saga throws open the temple doors with both arms. Standing there, before him in waiting, is none other than Verity Servinus, Prophet of the Raven Queen. To his left stands Ambassador Straegis II. And to his right, High Chaplain WoeVangg Rinh. A vicious street dog waits beside them, ready to bite anything foolish enough to get too close. Behind those imposing figures stands a motley pack: an Ogre, a Kobold, a Goblin, an Eladrin Mage, and a fearsome Angel of Death.

The Longbeards look to their leader, eager for some sign that a glorious battle shall begin.

The undefeated Saga, both cunning and wise, turns to the Great Rinh, who returns the King's glance. A silent understanding passes between them.

The Dwarf Kings bellows, "SPEAK, SIR KNIGHT."

OOC: Whatever your response, drop some rolls with it.

Meanwhile, Lieutenant-Colonel Davin Fletcher stalks the shadows overhead, ready to raindown bolts of wrath, should a battle commence. His magical eye, the Eye of Hemingr, is drawn to the King; Davin finds it difficult (tho not impossible) to look away. He feels a tremendous sense of reverence and awe. Realizing that the emotions are not his own, and aware of the magnitude of the current situation, he focuses his attention on the task at hand. But the eye ... the eye ...
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:32 pm

Seeing the Great Rihn alive and whole goes far in quelling Verity’s rage toward Dwarf King’s evil deeds. Indeed Rihn’s holy presence reminds the paladin of his vow of humility, sworn in this very hall. He manages a heroic if curt bow before responding in Supernal.
“Storied Njörðr, King under the Mountain, I am Verity Servinus, Prophet of Death. I’m sure you recognize your cousin Woe Vangg. To my right is Imperial Ambasador Straegis II, noble in both birth and deed.”
The Deathknight motions to the others in turn, “Kersh, the latest brave and formidable ogre to make my acquaintance – but not the first;” at that he casts the Great Rihn a meaningful gaze before his eyes settle back on the King, “Tugaarlnuk and Juugug, my brothers in faith, my son Azrael Ben Zariel, and the most aptly-named Hound.”
At that he rests a hand on the dogs head before continuing in the language of the Gods.
“Our world has been a tumult of late, shaken to it’s foundations. The peace between our peoples, thought rock-solid for the wisdom and profit on which it was founded, is shattered.”
“Yet you stand before us with The Great Rihn, the Priest taken from this Temple during the Massacre here and until recently caged and chained in your throne room. Now Great Rihn, favorite son of the Raven Queen, stands at your side apparently of his own free will.
"Pray tell us, Saga of the Dwarves, why you’ve thrown open Death’s door: for we before you reclaimed our Temple this day from the Hag Babette and her minions, and we mean to keep it.
"The strength of your own faith is legend, a thing forged by the Hearth-Father's himself - I'm sure you understand.”

Diplomacy (s?): 37, 46 (natch) , 28
Religion to speak with a most holy inflection: 25

[Aid Vangg’s] Insight by eluding to Rihn: 31
[Aid Davin’s] Perception by asking the King tip his hand: 40
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:48 pm

"INDEED. Well spoken, Prophet.

"Please understand, the Clan Heads did not (and do not) understand the virtue of the clergy who dwelt in this temple; they saw only their monstrous heritage, and sought to secure our nation's flank from the invading imperialism of Etol. But I have since decreed that this sacred temple be returned to the Great Rinh and his apostles. We will not, however, allow the Empire to march along the Undermountain Road; no more than we would have allowed those Greenskins to remain here."

"I know of the Hag named Baba. If this Babette is one and the same, then you have me at a disadvantage: I did not know she was in-league with the Orcs and Goblins that have been rampaging through my halls. If you dispatched her as you say, then I thank you for ridding the world of her evil."

"But that DOES NOT mean we should peel back our mail and expose our breasts to the blades of the Empire. You and the other clergy may remain (the Cave Temple IS yours, after all), but we CANNOT allow the Humans to march through your house (invited or otherwise) to march upon our back door."

When the Dwarf King finishes his speech, the Great Rinh moves to embrace Juugug, Vangg, and Taalgarnuk (who are comically short compared to the Holy Ogre). Verity watches as Azraelbenzariel kneels to one knee, with his head bowed toward the Great Rinh; with a wave of his hand, Rinh beckons him to stand. Then, he turns to Verity with a smile and a nod, to indicate his agreement with the Saga's words.

OOC: Verity seems to have made a good Impression, thus far, but the parlay isn't over. Vangg seems too preoccupied to make an Insight check, but Davin could try instead (I think Verity's attempt to get the Saga to tip his hand would better aid an Insight check than a Percpetion check anyway). Keep talking. Keep rolling.

The Saga continues, "WHAT SAY YOU, Verity Servinus? Where do your loyalties lie? Will you allow your homeland to bring WAR to these sanctified halls? Or will you procure PEACE for your holy brethren?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:43 pm

"Something isn't right here..."

Turn on Sight Of Hemingr (see invisible)

Perception (Rihn) - 40
Perception (Saga) - 41
Insight (Rihn) - 18
Insight (Saga) - 34 (natch)

O.O.C. - Gimme all the details! Verity, if the Saga's narrative isn't revisionist history, I don't know what is. Remember, the Book of Stone records the agreement between the Terramancers and tthe Hags to destroy the Cave Temple. It also point-blank says that fear-mongering versus the Empire would be the only way to get the Clan Heads to go to war.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Swifthand wrote:Turn on Sight Of Hemingr (see invisible)
O.O.C. - Gimme all the details!
Swifthand wrote:Perception (Rihn) - 40
Davin has never seen Rinh before, but oberves nothing to betray the persona (visible or unvisble). He has remarkable posture and hygiene for an Ogre, but is indeed an Ogre (an exceptionally tall one, at that). His wrists and ankles are bruised with shackle marks, but the marks are several days old. He is wearing a brand new holy feather of the queen; one that seems to be forged of mithril. You knew that he lost his old one, so it's certianly concievable that the Saga could have given him a new one.

Swifthand wrote:Perception (Saga) - 41
Davin has never seen the Saga before, either, but this King's visage fits the tales he has heard. His rune-etched armor, his ancient axe, his prosperous crown: they all match the descriptions Davin has heard of the Saga. Like Rinh, the Saga wears a mithril Holy Symnol, but the one he wears is the Anvil of the Soul-forger. His gray beard hangs in heavy braids, held together by golden ringlets.

Nothing seems out of place. (On the Phone you mentioned his eyes: They are intense and steely blue, but there is nothing supernatural about them).

Swifthand wrote:Insight (Rihn) - 18
Davin cannot tell much (other than the obvious) about the Great Rinh's emotional state. He seems joyous and relieved to be re-united with Verity and the Brothers Rinh; and grateful to have been released. Rinh does not seem at all surprised to see an Angel of Death on the premesis.

Swifthand wrote:Insight (Saga) - 34 (natch)
The Saga is bold and straightforward. He either believes what he is saying, or is a better liar than any Dwarf you've met. His comments about the Clan Head's intentions contains a kernal of condescension, as if their actions are resultant from their lack of profundity.

In thanking Verity for slaying the Hag, he has also revealed his ingorance of her involvement; his off-handed mention of another of her many aliases implies that he had more important evils to deal with ... but that he understands she needed to be slain, by some "lesser" adventurers.

His offer to return the Cave Temple to the proper clergy is an acknowledgement that a wrong was committed, but buried in the context is the implication that they could (and probably would) take it back if there is no other way to stop the Imperial Forces from getting in. It would seem that he and Rinh had agreed on this before the Ogre was returned, but that he is also aware of the fact that some of the persons present are both Imperial soldiers AND members of the Clergy. Appareantly, he doesn't condemn the clerics' decision to join forces with the Empire (considering what's happened), but expects them relinquish their enlistment now that he has "magnimously" given the temple back.

Furthermore, he exerts an air of righteous confidence ... as if he feels his offer is more than fair, and anyone dis-agreeing with it is foolish. His questions to Verity, at the end, are intended to emphasize whatever answer he thinks is obvious; it's as if he's saying "I've given you what you came for, boy; now back down, before someone (y'all) gets hurt."

OOC: Bear in mind, Davin hasn't been able to communicate this to anyone. So, nobody else has the benefit of these Perception and Insight checks.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next