Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

+2
magicspellz12
Malazek
6 posters

Page 3 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 3 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

Post  macksgarageusa Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:19 am

macksgarageusa wrote: "My people chose to lend aid to the human armies at the Imperial City for they were about to begin a war with the Dwarves. Tricked into doing the bidding of the Sandbenders, they besieged the city. You see your highness, the Sandbenders seek to inflate their own power by destroying the nexuses of the other alignments, like Talth-anin. What we have here is a ritual with the power to twist the very fabric of a nexus and allow it to be molded to that of another element. The potential for misuse in the hands of a few is so great that it was decided that the only way to maintain the safety of the world and the balance of power was to deliver it to as many peoples as we could. After delivering a copy to the Emperor at the Imperial City, we came directly here."

Hopefully with a little help from Alex, Straegis reiterates his story from earlier, perhaps lending a little more emphasis to the parts about the Sandbenders (now that the Airbender is here). In light of the new 'magical' guests presence in the room, he goes into more detail about the actual workings of the ritual including some of what it took for them to create it. Straegis tells them how they transferred the alignment of the earthen Wise Stone into the watery Heroes Vortex, and again reminds those present of the potential chaos of keeping this ritual in the hands of only a few. "As a sign of our respect to you King Halifax and your people, I remind you again that it was deemed by our group that you should be given a copy of the ritual as soon as possible."

Diplomacy: 1d20=18+7(half)+5(helm)=30

O.o.C.: Do I need more Diplomacy rolls, if so, +12.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 3 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

Post  Swifthand Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:25 pm

As Straegis explains the Change Elemental Alignment ritual to the assembled sages, Davin tries to catch Princess Rhyannon's eye to flash her a smile and try to read her reaction to the situation thus far (particularly pertaining to me!).

Diplomacy=21 (+2 Dressed Up Bonus)
Insight=24

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:22 pm

Straegis wrote:Straegis reiterates his story from earlier, ... he goes into more detail about the actual workings of the ritual
Maylee, Siofra, Aubrey, and Leaf all listen intently as Straegis begins.

Davin wrote:Davin tries to catch Princess Rhyannon's eye to flash her a smile and try to read her reaction to the situation thus far
The princess listens intently to Straegis story, but casts a glance in Davin's direction. Their eyes meet, and Davin flashes a smile; the princess turns away to listen to the explanation, but an uncontrolled smile emerges on her face. She looks to the floor, and then raises he eyes to meet Davin's once again; the smile still lingering. It's subtle, but Davin thinks she is flirting with him.

Shortly after, they get to work making copies of the ritual (which will take 12 hours). As soon as they start working, Halifax leaves the room. He lingers at the door for his children to follow.

At the door, Helfare turns to the heroes, and waves those of you not involved in the scribing to follow (Davin, Verity, Hound; maybe Vangg?). The door they chose leads to a small study with three heavy fireplaces (how such fires manage to not burn down a palace in the trees escapes you). Four sofas are arranged in the middle of the room, creating a square whereas the seated would be looking at each other; an ornate heavy rug sits under foot. Tall bookcases (filled with books) sit between the hearths.

Helfare and Rhyannon sit so that they are in same corner of the "sofa square" (but on different sofas). The king wanders over to one of the bookcase, and pulls a crystal decanter from one of the few shelves without books. He returns with the decanter and enough glasses for everyone. He fills the glasses, as he passes them out, with a rich tawny liquid.

"So, Davin Fletcher, what are your intentions toward my daughter?"

The tawny drink sprays from Helfare's mouth as he cannot believe the words that just came from his father. Rhyannon smirks and sets her glass on her knee before looking up and cocking an eyebrow at Davin.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:41 pm

At the kings words Verity momentarily chokes on his own drink, clearing his throat with a weighted "Ahem!"
Despite the discomfort he now wears an approximation of a polite smile. Its a bit crooked though, belying his delight at this turn of events.
"Crazy like a fox that Halifax" he thinks.
Then it occurs to the paladin he can be of some use in this emergency. Invoking OHOM he sends Davin encouragement, thinking "Steady..."

OCC: back in the States!
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Halcyon, you, my friend, are a PIMP!

Feeling like the hare under the eyes of a hawk, Davin's inward elation to the Princess's flirting turns to stark fear at the King's question. Momentarily at a loss for words, the Ranger stands there agape, hands gripping his glass, until the voice of his tutor invades his mind.

Halcyon wrote:"Steady..."

Something about courtship? Courtship...yeah...and the War....

"I befriended your daughter in the Imperial City during the first hours of the Dwarven Assault. When we first met, I was immediately struck by her beauty - only a blind man would not be, but over that hectic, harried, and dangerous day, I came to admire her for much more: her bravery, her conviction, and her wisdom. All this, I am sure you know already - it was you who had the confidence to send the Princess as your Ambassador to the Emperor."

Pausing for a moment to take a drink from his glass, Davin musters all of his conviction, and, after looking for a brief moment into Rhyannon's eyes, turns to meet the King's stare and continues.

"I am a plain man raised in plain ways. My intentions are simple: I only ask your leave to spend time with your Daughter - to Court her. Though the War makes time precious, I only ask that what time I spend in your majestic city be spent with Her, if she wishes. Perhaps in that time, I will be able to make half the impression she made on me."

Diplomacy=34 (+2 Dressed to Impress bonus. +4 OHOM From Verity)

Davin finally shuts up and takes a big gulp of his wine. Swallowing, the Ranger realizes he can't remember a single thing he just said.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:06 pm

The Princess looks somewhat shocked by Davin's blatant confession, but she does not look displeased. Quite the contrary. Her brother, on the otherhand, shows no reaction whatsoever; he merely studies the situation, silently.

"Is that a Fact?" the King asks. "Only a Prince may court a Princess. Oh, but you claim to be Palol, Prince of Talth'Anin, don't you? Well, unless you can prove it, the matter is closed. My daughter is free to spend time with whomever she chooses, but it will be no courting ... and it will lead to no marriage."

"Een if you do, somehow, find evidence of your lost heritage, I reserve the right to test your worthiness."

"That tradition," Helfare interjects "..."
But the King silenceshis son with a raised hand.

"... that tradition has become little more than a symbolic gesture, in recent decades ... but it is still tradition, and it is still Elven law. If you are somehow able to prove your pedigree, then I will allow you to court my daughter ... if, and only if, you pass m test."

"What is this test," Rhyannon asks.

"You must capture a beast wth the feet of a hart, the haunches of a lion, the body of leopard, and the head and neck of a serpent!!"

"No!"
"No!"

"That is right. If you are this Palol Thaeraes, then you must capture such a beast before you may court my daughter."

"Father, it's impossible."
The King only smiles.
"No one has ever seen it."

The Princess stands with a level of outrage you have yet to see from her, "It's a ludicris challenge, father. And I will associate with whomever I chose."
"Indeed. But you will marry whomever I choose."

The Princess storms out of the room, leaving the door open behind her for her friends to follow.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 pm

Vangg rises, walks over, and stands next to Davin. In his friends defense, the dwarf boasts, "Har, be an ease o' task fer Davin. Additionlikes, in nigh times we'll ah laid da flyin' eagle-serp-elephant-lion's carcass benext ta ye feets, ye 'ighness - w' all due respects ye deserve an' what nots.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:14 am

Straegis will continue copying rituals, stopping only to rest and eat.

O.o.C.: Are we providing the copying materials or them? Davin will have to wait awhile before he gets a chance to kill the magic snake-cat and "sheathe his sword". Have her scratch ya behind your ear and tell her you'll come back later to show her your "Elflord". elephant bounce Laughing

DM EDIT: The Elves bring their own scribing material, courtesy of the Femdrell.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:10 pm

OOC: Yeah Swifthand ----- quit trying to hit her target with your arrow---- elephant bounce Razz
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:28 pm

"You must capture a beast wth the feet of a hart, the haunches of a lion, the body of leopard, and the head and neck of a serpent!!"

"No!"
"No!"

"That is right. If you are this Palol Thaeraes, then you must capture such a beast before you may court my daughter."

"Father, it's impossible."
The King only smiles.

Verity returns the King's smile.

"Because it is impossible, it is true."

He thinks of the Beast Galistant and sends to Davin "Time for another hunt then?"
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:43 pm

"Yes, it may be impossible ... but my daughter deserves one who can accomplish even this."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:04 pm

"This chance that you have granted is more than most could ever hope for. If my charge is the capture of the Questing Beast, then so be it. I thank you for your consideration, noble King Halifax."

Halcyon wrote:He thinks of the Beast Galistant and sends to Davin "Time for another hunt then?"

Davin sends his thoughts back to the Deathknight.

Aye - hopefully it is still near Jaru. Perhaps a stop by Harley's to find out how to trap the Questing Beast would be wise?

Davin politely remains standing until the King sits and then joins him, sipping his wine until it is finished. As soon as manners allow, Davin will excuse himself and track down the Princess, remaining unseen.

"Vangg - would you keep an eye on Hound for a bit? I need a walk to clear my mind."

Diplomacy=34
Stealth=33
Perception (Tracking)=44

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:38 pm

"I presume, of course, that we may help him?"

DM EDIT: Alex and Straegis aren't with Davin and the King, they are helping the Elves with copying the rituals. Aubrey is among those making copies; didn't you want to speak with him about Aeromancy?
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:55 am

Davin wrote:Davin politely remains standing until the King sits and then joins him, sipping his wine until it is finished. As soon as manners allow, Davin will excuse himself and track down the Princess, remaining unseen.

"Vangg - would you keep an eye on Hound for a bit? I need a walk to clear my mind."
An uncomfortable silence occupies the room, as the king stares absently into his drink and the heroes communicate telepathically. After a long while, Davin asks Vangg to watch Hound and takes off quietly after the Princess.

Finding her is not difficult, as sunshine streaming in from open door at the end of the hall presents the first hint of her whereabouts. Moving unseen through the palace, Davin reaches the open doors and finds an elaborate garden on the terrace before him. A white gazebo sits astraight head, in the middle of a small grove; a path of white stones leads the way.

The Princess is seated within the Gazebo; two maids-in-waiting standing by. Davin recognizes the handmaidens. They are the same two Elfladies who previously acted as teamsters for the Princess's wagon when she was in the Imperial City.

They all seem oblivious to the woodman's presence.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Verity watches Davin skulk off. "Good luck, friend" he sends.
He then offers to top the King’s glass, and then Vangg’s.
“Dark days are these. Who could have guessed the Saga of the dwarves to be enmeshed in a plot to destroy us all: a plot first hatched in the age of his grandfather’s grandfather, and kept secret since.
“To think they were a hairs-breadth away from success, if it weren’t for the quick action of your people and mine. Still, the battle is far from won.
“Ha! How foolish I must sound: the young knight first confronted by war. You must have faced countless similar challenges previous to this in your long reign. Forgive my prattling.”

Diplomacy to elicit an old war story and / or advice from King Halifax: 28

Verity will aid any Insight rolls Vangg might attempt by keeping an eye on the subjects body language.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:21 am

Vangg looks to the king, waiting for a response.

Insight check when he does:

37+2=39
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:11 am

Verity wrote:“Dark days are these. Who could have guessed the Saga of the dwarves to be enmeshed in a plot to destroy us all: a plot first hatched in the age of his grandfather’s grandfather, and kept secret since ... To think they were a hairs-breadth away from success, if it weren’t for the quick action of your people and mine. Still, the battle is far from won ... Ha! How foolish I must sound: the young knight first confronted by war. You must have faced countless similar challenges previous to this in your long reign. Forgive my prattling.”
Vangg wrote:Vangg looks to the king, waiting for a response.
"Hmm. Yes, the Saga. We were friends once, but I'm afraid that many years have passed since then; we seem to have lost touch with one another."

"Don't fret the prattle, young Verity; ramble on. We all do so from time to time."

The King's answer seems off-handed; almost as if he isn't really listening and doesn't care much for the topic of conversation. In fact, Verity and Vangg come to the conclusion that he doesn't really know much about what is happening in the world of men; and doesn't care to. He has other concerns, and can't be bothered with such things.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:29 pm

"Good King, it is clear you have much enmity for one Pasor Thaeraes. Too it seems this Pasor may well be the birth father of our dear comrade Davin Fletcher.
"On my life I swear before you, I've never known Davin to commit a misdeed, nor could I imagine it. He is ever vigilant against the enemies of Elves and Men and quick with the Queen's blessing when they are found.
"So what you say of Pasor contrasts starkly with what we know of our Ranger companion. Once you trusted Pasor but now you mark him coward and villain?"

Diplomacy to get the straight story: 41

Last edited by Halcyon on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:54 pm

"Ye 'ighnesses, ye nigh ta worry 'bout Davin an' what nots, he be an great bedamned friend ... 'im an' 'is dirty sleeve. Me sure ye 'aps least one tale ye kin shares ..."

Vangg acts like he is interested in what the king has to say.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:39 am

Silently stepping from the shadows in the sunlit garden, Davin approaches the gazebo.

"That probably could have gone better, though, I suppose it could have gone worse, as well. I hope I am not disturbing you, Princess."

Davin sends a crooked grin at the three assembled elf maidens.

-Swift

Last edited by Swifthand on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:30 pm

... and continues copying.

O.o.C.: When enough game time has passed, Straegis will head out to join his allies.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:48 pm

Davin wrote:I hope I am not disturbing you, Princess."
"No, of course not. Please, have a seat. Let's talk and enjoy the beauty of nature."

Verity wrote:"... it is clear you have much enmity for one Pasor Thaeraes. ... Once you trusted Pasor but now you mark him coward and villain?"
Vangg wrote:"Ye 'ighnesses, ... Me sure ye 'aps least one tale ye kin shares ..."
"Yes, 'tis true. We were friends, once; the best of friends. That is, until he killed my wife."

"She had gone to Talth'Anin, to visit with his wife. The next say, I recieved a garbled message, delivered via magic to my inner mind. The message was difficult to hear, but one part I made out clearly: Nobody that comes to Talth'Anin shall get out alive. The next day, all of Talth'Anin was vanished; and my wife along with her. She never did come home, and the voice of Pasor would forever echo in my worst dreams ... and with the memory of my wife; I can nigh think of her without remembering that fretful day."

"Oh, I shall never forgive him for what he did that day; what he did to her, and what he took from me."

Straegis wrote:... and continues copying.
O.o.C.: When enough game time has passed, Straegis will head out to join his allies.
OOC: Yeah, 12 hours of copying. Feel free to converse with those involved in the process.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:23 pm

"It is a cruel fate for you King Halifax, to have your wife taken abruptly and without clear reason. Here you are left, able only to imagine what may have transpired in her last day, a garbled message your only clue.
"Perhaps one day the full truth of what happened at Talth'Anin shall come to light. We shall pray that one day you find that small comfort."

Diplomacy to plant the kernel of thought that maybe Halifax is assuming too much: 33
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:49 am

Copy Copy Copy Cat
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Verity wrote:"It is a cruel fate for you King Halifax, to have your wife taken abruptly and without clear reason. Here you are left, able only to imagine what may have transpired in her last day, a garbled message your only clue.
"Perhaps one day the full truth of what happened at Talth'Anin shall come to light. We shall pray that one day you find that small comfort."

Diplomacy to plant the kernel of thought that maybe Halifax is assuming too much: 33
"It was a cruel fate, indeed." he mutters.
Passive Insight: Verity gets the impression that the king has missed his point.

Malazek wrote:"No, of course not. Please, have a seat. Let's talk and enjoy the beauty of nature."
Davin sits quietly; uncomfortable and uncertain, as to what to say. But eventually, he musters the confidence ...
OOC: ... to say ...

Alex wrote:DM EDIT: Alex ... didn't you want to speak with him about Aeromancy?
OOC: I thought you wanted to speak with the Spiramancer? Was a I wrong? You can talk and copy at the same time.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next