Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

+2
magicspellz12
Malazek
6 posters

Page 5 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 5 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

Post  Halcyon Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:50 pm

"Waffles, I love waffles! Well, usually I do. Once me mum made them with wild berries thta made everyone's face numb. Those weren't very good. Bit my tongue too, would've hurt I'm sure but you know, the numbness. My favorite is black currant waffles. Or maybe stawberry, hmmm. No, black currant. Very good for you too I hear. Currants that is. Of course, I've never had elvish waffles. I must say they smell delicious!"
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 5 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

Post  magicspellz12 Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:46 am

"Well I have a number of spells to share with you, most importantly, the work of a friend i made in imperial city named Siqerod. He has spells that help combat specifically against other elementalists! But of course, if you are capable of transposing my own spells, especially with clouds and mist, I am sure you could look at my own too."

Alex will certailny show and explain all of Siqerods spells.

"Do you have anything you do with fog or mist that I could perhaps control? How hard is it to create your own spells?
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:55 am

"Waffles always remind me of Summer. Not much better than a waffle with fresh fruit to to begin a long Summer day. Except perhaps a waffle with warm maple syrup in the Fall. Mmmm. A rasher of bacon and some strong coffee and you've got a perfect meal. As you do with this fine elven tea of course. The apple note - chamomille if I'm not mistaken - compliments the vanilla in the waffles very nicely.

"A gnome merchant brought a magicked waffle iron to market in Brackwater once. The iron didn't need to be heated on the stove, created it's own heat, or so he said.

"But enough of my waffling.

"We've got an imprisoned Priest to free. I don't suppose he's enjoying such fine fare as we.

"We've Eladrin to advise. We've a myth to slay. And the more we learn of Tath' Anin the more a mystery it becomes."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:15 pm

"An' we 'as ah ogre ta finds as wells."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:59 pm

The Maelstrom wrote:"Well I have a number of spells to share with you, most importantly, the work of a friend i made in imperial city named Siqerod. He has spells that help combat specifically against other elementalists! But of course, if you are capable of transposing my own spells, especially with clouds and mist, I am sure you could look at my own too."

Alex will certailny show and explain all of Siqerods spells.

"Do you have anything you do with fog or mist that I could perhaps control? How hard is it to create your own spells?
Aubrey willingly shows Alex a display of Aeromancy, forming a funnel of air in his palm that mirrors Alex's ice sculptures. He listens closely to Alex's explanation of Siqerod's innovations, and even takes a few notes. He exercises even greater scrutiny when offered a chance to look at Alex's own spells; and he eagerly shares his with Alex.

"Cloud and mists! Well, of course. I guess we do have some magicks in common, don't we? My brethren are more prone to spells that involve the wind and weather (possibly because of our penchant for archery), but I prefer spells of a more ... offenisve ... nature."

"Lightning."

"Oh, it's not difficult, at all, actually. Once you understand the concepts, it's just a matter of applying them. Personal inability seems to be the biggest obstacle we must face."

He shows Alex all of his spells. Based on what is present, Alex judges Aubrey to be significantly weaker at the arts than himself. (OOC: He's around 8th Level). "Wow, Alex. Some of these water magicks are well beyond what I am capable of replicating with air. You must be well-respected back in Imil?"

OOC: Is Alex going to add more mist and fog to his repertoir?

Verity wrote:"But enough of my waffling. "We've got an imprisoned Priest to free. I don't suppose he's enjoying such fine fare as we. We've Eladrin to advise. We've a myth to slay. And the more we learn of Tath' Anin the more a mystery it becomes."
Vangg wrote:"An' we 'as ah ogre ta finds as wells."
After breakfast, the heroes say their goodbyes, and prepare to leave.

OOC: Where to?

OOC: Straegis, the sigils Aubrey gave you are: the Femdrell, a dozen locations spread throughout the Eldworn (will provide names later), Shadowpass, the old location of the Wyver Oak, three ports in the Coastal Region (will provide names later), and two of the Island States (will provide names later).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:08 pm

"Well you've given me an idea for a new spell. One that doesn't even take that much out of the caster."

---------------
Rolling Mist Wizard Attack 13-Encounter Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Necrotic, Zone
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 20 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: +18 vs. Will
Hit: 1d6+12 Necrotic damage.
Effect: The burst creates a zone of illusory darknes that last until the end of your next turn. All creatures are blinded while they are wthin the zone.
Orb of Imposition: You can extend the duration of this effect, even though t is not an at-will power. IF you do so, the zone expands to a burst 3 and does not affect you or your allies.

I've had this a while, but I haven't used it yet! So there is some background for this litte number now.
-------------

Alex goes through the spell with Aubrey, deciding that it may be too complex for him at the moment, yet leaving him with notes enough to replicate it when he is more advanced.

"I haven't been to Imil for a long time. I was the last watermage to be born with the ability and am thus the youngest waterbender at the moment, though I hope my brother Jaime will develop some talent. It is my fear that the dwarves fiddling with the Nexi have caused the tides of power to shift against my kind. But, I have improved most vastly since I left. I don't know how you spend your time Master Aubrey, but I think you may find your skill at lightning and other offensive spiramancy arts would improve greatly with some time in the field. For me, having to be quick and precise in my spellcasting got easier after many times using it to save the lives of me and my friends. Why, the meeting with your king is a perfect example, I wouldn't have been able to Freeze him a few months ago I can tell you that. Perhaps you should join our little group my friend? Though the challenges are dangerous."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:27 am

Malazek wrote:After breakfast, the heroes say their goodbyes, and prepare to leave.

OOC: Where to?

"We know not how we will free the Great Rihn. Best not to blunder into the Saga's Halls until the means of winning his freedom is clear.

"We've sent word to the Eladrin already that we shall offer our knowledge of Nexus transformation. As well, Marshal Straegis has much to report.

"Best we go to the Eladrin and finish what we've started. It wil give us time to plan Rihn's safe return. We may learn more of Talth 'Anin as well."

Alex wrote:"Perhaps you should join our little group my friend? Though the challenges are dangerous."

Verity cocks an eyebrow at the Companions and Aubrey awaiting a response.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:09 pm

Alex wrote:"Perhaps you should join our little group my friend?"
"Sincerely? Yes, I would love to come with you."

Verity wrote:"Best we go to the Eladrin and finish what we've started. It wil give us time to plan Rihn's safe return. We may learn more of Talth 'Anin as well." Verity cocks an eyebrow at the Companions and Aubrey awaiting a response.
Aubrey smiles, and nods, waiting for a consensus from the resected heroes.

"Straegis, Rhyannon says, "Say hello to your father for us, will you?"
She turns to Davin and whispers "Be safe, my young Prince."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:56 pm

After he finishes eating, Straegis says goodbye to the royal family (including the King) and asks if they have any messages they want him to pass along to the Eladrin when he returns home. He echoes Alex's warnings to Aubrey about the dangers of joining the heroes and adds, "If you wish to see the world and push your magics to their fullest, we would be more than happy to have you join us. We can send you home at any time you feel you've had enough." When everyone is ready to go, he will set up the portal ritual to get them on their way.

O.o.C.: I guess portal to Talth' Anin area? Isn't that where I came thru when we all met in the Malbog?
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Straegis wrote:Straegis says goodbye ... echoes Alex's warnings to Aubrey ... and ... he will set up the portal ritual to get them on their way.
O.o.C.: I guess portal to Talth' Anin area? Isn't that where I came thru when we all met in the Malbog?
Guess we're moving things along then ...

After farewells, Straegis prepares the ritual for portalling to ... Talth'Anin? Other than an ancient (and probably outdated) set of sigils, no other evidence suggests the portal is still there. Nonetheless, the Eladrin Warlord follows his instincts, and sets the portals destination as Talth'Anin.

After the magic is cast, a Portal opens up to somewhere; it vaguely appears to be a muddy patch of wet grass. Bravely, the heroes step through to the uncertian destination, and find themselves ... standing on a patch of grass, only a few dozen yards wide; the Malbog stretches out around them for as far as the eye can see. But the travelers are too numerous; some are forced off the grass and into the surrounding pool. Their boots and pant legs soaked.

Despite the mud and grass underfoot, the ground seems to be hard; the ancient portal has been swallowed by nature, but it's power still flows. Those who moved to the water to allow their friends to stand, quickly find evidence of worked stone; ruined blocks that could've been walls surround the would-be portal. This was a more acitive portal once.

DM EDIT: The wagon doesn't fit on grassy surface, either; but it does float. So, everyone climbs from the pond and onto the wagon.

To Alex, the whole location buzzes with magical power. The rush is similiar to that felt at the Heroes Vortex or at the Host Tower of Imil. The Tower of Hydrology must indeed be close.

To Straegis, the little hillock seems familiar. Yes, this must be near to where he stepped out of the Feywild. It must be. Scanning the horizons, he sees nothing but murky water, swamp weeds, bog reeds, and the occassional stunted tree. And bugs; almost forgot about the infernal mosquitos and horse flies. But, he can also feels something else; a brightness, hidden behind the fog of the bog.

But this is not where Straegis arrived. At least, not the exact spot.

The heroes (accompanied by Aubrey) trapse through the marsh, trying to help Straegis find the spot.

Finally, they stumble across a grove of trees. The trees have sprouted from the ground in a near-perfect elipse, creating an imperfect ring around the knoll between them. Strange and wonderful toadstools decorate the little hillock, displaying a rainbow of colors that contrast with the gloomy terrain around them.

Yup. This is it.
Straegis is sure.

Passing between the wood, and climbing the domed ground,t he heroes settle down between the unearthly mushrooms.
But nothing happens.

Then Straegis remembers. The Cairn o' Talth can only be traversed freely when certian conditions are met; it opens at specific times, on specific dates. Fortunately, the Eladrin have added their own enchantments to the crossing. Straegis recalls the sacred words of passage, and speaks them aloud:

"Odael Maerasti!"

The sun is in your eyes.

Putting a hand to your brow to shade them, you see a perfect blue brightness.
Only fluffy white clouds dance among the sea of overhead.

The garden of toadstools is gone.
Colorful, polished rocks now cover the hill upon which you stand.

Warm sandy beaches and emerald grassy banks stretch all around; fresh water splashes against them on all sides.
The local terrain is a marbling of water and soft comfortable fields.

As your eyes adjust to the light, you see that the bugs of the Malbog have been replaced by gorgeous butterflies.

And then you notice the ominous purple mountains along the horizon.

Unfazed by the sudden contrast, Straegis and Aubrey jump down from the Cairn and quickly locate a narrow stone trail winding to the north.
Knee-high bushes of all kinds have been planted along the sides of the path; their flowers in bloom.

Last edited by Malazek on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:"Perhaps you should join our little group my friend?"
"Sincerely? Yes, I would love to come with you."

Davin quirks an eyebrow at the exchange, but raises no objection.

Malazek wrote:She turns to Davin and whispers "Be safe, my young Prince."

"Farewell, My Lady. When next we meet, I will bear with me not only the Questing Beast, but the truth that will restore the honor of House Thaeraes as well."

O.O.C. - Up North again this past weekend, but back now...

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:33 am

O.O.C. - I wanted to remind everyone that we have the ATW and horses, as well.

"YAH!"

As Hound snaps playfully at some butterflies that happen to fly close to the teamster bench that he and his master sit on, Davin snaps the reins of the ATW, goading the girls forward down the stone path.

"I take it this is the way, Straegis?"

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:48 am

This land of gaily colored flowers and butterflies leaves the Deathknight with a mild sense of dread. It's exactly the idyllic sort of place in childhood fables where a kindly old woman invites children in for a meal and then bakes them into sweetbreads. Or young lovers fall asleep in the quiet meadow and wake up a hundred years later old and withered.

"Superstitious nonsense," he thinks to himself. Then he mutters a short prayer just in case.

"I'll take point," he announces, riding to the fore.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Davin nods silently to the Deathknight and reins in the team to let him pass. Then, with a flick of his wrists, the ATW is back on it's way, close on the heels of Zephyr.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:49 pm

OOC: Really great description.

Can Alex feel the magical power in this place too?

"This is a grand adventure." Alex mutters, sitting in the wagon and gazing at the astounding surroundings.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:19 pm

'Yes, this is the way. Help me keep a keen eye here friends, I can't guarantee the specifics of our welcome." Straegis does his best to fill in the allies on the names he knows best, and who they should try to contact here, in the event he is taken captive upon their arrival. He tells Alex the names of several of the Feywilds mages that he knows personally (especially the ones who started him on his journey into the arcane arts) and he makes sure to tell the family names of those who he feels would be most sympathetic to his cause. "Oh boy!" he mutters as he shakes his head and his shoulders droop, "I sure didn't give any thought to my return scenario when I ran off with that scroll!
"I will say this tho, in the event we are well received, at dinner be sure to try the Eladrin sweetbreads and the field peas!" His mouth waters at the prospect of home cooking, "Hell," he thinks to himself, "Even if they do put me in jail, at least I'll eat good..." His voice trails off as he thinks to himself how the Eladrin have always been to known for their respectable treatment of prisoners.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:16 am

With Verity and Zephyr just ahead of the wagon, Straegis leads his comrades up the manicured path that winds slowly toward his home. The trails winds in a northerly direction for some time, but the journey is serene, and the heroes lose track of time. By the time the sun sets (a beautiful orange and purple portrait on the horizon at thir left), the banded beaches are gradually replaced by a magnificent forest.

Birches as tall as redwoods, cherry trees the size of willows, and others woods that cannot easily be identified; the trees here are atleast as old as those of the Eldworn, and just as mysterious, but somehow less foreboding and scary. Instead of the wild underbrush that impedes travel in the Eldworn, a well groomed lawn covers the ground underfoot, decorated by the occassional flowes. Park bences occassional offer respite to walkers along the path.

And somehow, despite the cover of the trees and the approach of dusk, the forest remains well-lit.
But Straegis knows how dark it gets at night; bright black is the only way to describe it.

And the, suddenly, glittering towers loom up ahead; the solid structure of towers was clearly designed to blend in with surrounding trees, but the stained glass windows betray their artificial origin. As the wagon draws nearer, a knee-high white picked fence blocks the way. Two Eladrin knights and their Griffon mounts are waiting for you at the gate.

As soon as the heroes are within earshot, one of them speak:
"Ol Mandror, shi por byr aezaes o sai vaeres mai myl. Os tharaes tystal o sai mal shaerysi cos."
(Young Straegis, we did not expect you to return so soon. Your father commands you to stand before him).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:12 pm

"Time fer ye 'ide ta be tanned, Straegis. Praps ye father useth ah switch only. Hopenots us as wells."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:51 pm

As they ride along, Straegis points out landmarks and places of historical significance all along the horizon. He tells the group of fights and training he experienced in his upbringing, and of fun he had as a youth exploring the unpopulated areas all around. When the guards yell, he shakes his head and directs Davin toward them. "Well, time to pay the piper." he quietly says to his allies. "Yes sirs." he responds loudly to the approaching guards, "Where is he now?"
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Alex bows his head and smiles at Vanngs response. Yes. It is. Though it was fortunate he came along...
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Marshal Straegis II wrote: "Where is he now?"
"O myr thol cos ail si tar vys." (You should find him in the map room).

Straegis directs his friends further up the narrow road and into the towering Eladrin city; a metroplis of tall thin structures, each adorned in stained glass. Many Eladrin mosey about grounds, clearly distracted by their studies. All are elequently dressed; most in long pastel robes. A few glance toward the rustic wagon in their midst; but many seem not to notice.

Eventually, the heroes come to the white Sanctuary of Grand Marshal Straegis; a stout tower when compared to the other structures here, but still thin and delicate compared to the citadels of the Imperial City. A wide staircase ascends to the third floor, where the towers main doors await. Potted plants laze about on the steps, contradicting the buildings military purpose.

Inside (past the doors) is a long hall with shiny, tan, glass-like floors. The walls and cielings as white as untouched snow. Mammoth crystal chandeliers hang down from the domed cielings; paintings and sculpures decorate the sides of the hall, as do many doors.

Near the end of the hall, Straegis leads the heroes through the last door on the right, where they enter what can only be called "the Map Room." Gigantic maps are hung all along the walls; and several fat tables occupy the middle of the room, and they too are covered with large maps. Along the sides are several wooden racks supporting hundreds of scrolls cases; you imagine smaller maps are inside.

The last table sports a miniature battlefield; on it, tiny metal figures standing in formation.

And just beyond that is an Eladrin officer; a very stout one at that. He has his back to the door, but even from here you can tell that he MUST be Straegis's daddy.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Activate Qalibarian Factotum Helm: Diplomacy
O.o.C.: I'm gonna need it!!!

Hopefully the sight of his fathers "map room" gives some explanation to the allies of Straegis' great interest in history and maps. As they enter the room a little of his pride seems to flush from him, trying to make light of the situation he cajoles "Gen, A'l mirrev! Bar mel vinivre?" (Pop, I'm home! Did you miss me?) Without waiting for the response, he continues "Camas mik haaven ba!" (Have I got a story for you!)

Diplomacy(to not get arse whipped!?!): 1d20=8+7(half-lvl)+5(helm)=20

O.o.C.2: If he doesn't flip out, Straegis will immediately introduce all of his allies.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:35 am

As they enter the room Verity links the group in thought with OHOM. To Straegis he sends,

"Don't skirt around the scroll issue. Tell it as it happened: You feared the true scroll might fall in the hands of a traitor so you made absolutely sure a loyal Eladrin delivered it.

"Tell him you understand your act was impetuous but that it taught you about sacrifice for a greater cause.

"Add something about leaving a boy and returning a man. That ought to get him thinking less like a Grand Marshal and more like a father.

To the others he sends,

"I'm sure there's things I'm missing.

"Any more aid for Straegis in this time of need?"

Aid Diplomacy: 36 = +4
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Straegis wrote: "Gen, A'l mirrev! Bar mel vinivre? Camas mik haaven ba!"
Diplomacy=20+4+2
The Grand Marshal turns with a grim expression of anger; his eyes carefully scrutinizing the assmebled heroes. After a moment, he blinks and his eyes focus on his son. He nods, waiting for the story, but still does not say a word.

Passive Insight (All): It's clear he is upset, but has chosen to hold his tongue until Straegis's had had a chance to explain.

Passive Insight (Vangg): Word of Straegis' appointment as "Ambassador" has probably reached him already. Seeing your Imperial Uniforms (and a Femdrell Elf, as well) may have prompted this uncharacterictic act of compassion. Y'know, "Politics."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Verity will continue to aid Straegis.

"You've nothing to hide or you'd not have come back."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next