Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies" - Page 23 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Malazek wrote:So. yeah, here's the way it happens (so far) ...

9:30 pm to 5:30 am
Alex hands his spellbook to the mystic.
Since the pages of the mystics book are loose, he hands those pages to Vangg (so you guys can get started).
Everyone but Straegis goes to bed.
Straegis prepares the first half of two rituals in Vangg's book (assuming Vangg is okay with that).

5:30 am to 1:30 pm
The mystic returns Alex's book and brings you all breakfast.
Davin wakes up, and leaves (see below).
Straegis enters his trance.
Alex and Vangg wake up.
Alex copies Animal Messenger.
Vangg finishes the two rituals Straegis started.
Kalee cleans the cabin.
EDIT: Verity sneaks out to the fire to polish his armor and feed Zyphyr.
What is Kardan doing?

9:30 am
Straegis comes out of his trance.
Bord out of her skull, Kalee attempts to initiative a conversation with him.
What does he do now?

EDIT: Verity returns and has breakfast.
He asks Kalee about Brackwater, but it's been several weeks since she's been there.
She does her best to tell him what was new a month or so ago.

1:30 pm to 2:00 pm
The lizardfolk bring you lunch. Kalee eats.
Alex sends an animal messenger to Master jenna.
EDIT: Kalee helps. Verity Helps. Davin Helps. The Mystic Helps.

2:00 pm to 10 pm
Alex copies Waterwalk.
Vangg finishes the last ritual (he now has Silence, Endure Elements, AND Eye of Alarm).
Kalee wanders around the village bored.

EDIT: Verity enjoys target practice with some lizardfolk younglings.
(Most of the adults are either out hunting or busy with other chores).

EDIT: Verity also finds time to heal some wounded hunters as they return from the field.
They listen to his prayers, but probably don't understand the words.
Around 6:00 pm, one of them leads Verity toward a hut on the edge of the village.

10 pm
... We'll see. Let me find out what everyone else is doing first ...
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies" - Page 23 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:02 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:OOC- Did Davin help Alex with the ritual, did anyone else for that matter? Kalee can because she's bored if she wants?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:OOC- Did Davin help Alex with the ritual, did anyone else for that matter? Kalee can because she's bored if she wants?
O.O.C. - Gladly.
Passive Nature check= 22
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity is up well before dawn. He is lost in prayer when the huntsman makes his exit. Shortly thereafter, though, thoughts creep in of his gear getting damp in the morning mist and his horse unfed, ungroomed and muddy. He tries not to wake his companions as he leaves the shelter (, 14 total stealth). He makes his way to the bonfire pit and throws a couple more logs on the embers. He removes his armor, washes the padding and hangs it by the fire to dry. Then he polishes the metal, noting the fine raven etchings in the black enamel as he does. It occurs to him that the hag Mika likely pillaged this armor from a knight who fell defending the cave temple. “They’ve worse than you in the hells hag - far, far worse. May you get intimately acquainted”. After polishing the armor’s black seems not to gleam but deepen, the firelight not so much reflecting off the metal but burning within it. After oiling the mail and his weapons, Verity grooms and feeds Zephyr while the dawn burns the mist from the swamp.
After breakfast he asks Kalee for news of Brackwater. He passes time the rest of the day reminiscing about the town he left, catching up on the party's plans, and enjoying some target practice with the lizard men.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:03 pm

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:I go to sleep without a word and wake up before dawn. I tell Straegis that I am heading out for a bit and leave. I will go to our wagon, pick up my old bow and arrows, and go out to do a bit of hunting. I am specifically looking for deer or ducks, enough to feed us and hopefully give some to our hosts as well.

If the wagon is being guarded, I will use the opportunity to test their alertness.
Stealth check to get bow=26
Getting from the lodge to the wagon proves to be a challenge, as the scaley villagers are already up and about. Davin does, however, eventually make it to the wagon where he retrieves his old bow ... and then sets-off for a day of hunting.

Tracking is always a challenge, but Davin manages to find some large deer tracks. He follows them for many miles, during which time he sees a sord of ducks. He takes aim, but before he can fire, the ducks are scared off by lizardman hunters. Realizing they are from a different tribe, Davin wisely decides to stay hidden until they leave.

Continuing to follow the tracks, he eventually sees a large buck in the distance. He prowls up to it quickly takes it down (four shots between the surprise round and the first round). Hoisting the kill to his shoulders, Davin heads back to the village. When he passes the duck pond, it is again filled with ducks. Quickly but silently, he sets down the buck, and readies his bow. Four shots later, he has four ducks to bring back. Now, heavily burdened, Davin tries to haul back the buck and the ducks!

Swifthand wrote:When I return, I will toss my bow back into the wagon and begin to dress my game, accepting any aid the lizardmen offer. I should be back by midmorning.
It takes him awhile to make it back to the village, but he does make it back by midmorning. Several impressed lizardfolk help him clean and dress the kills. Several seasoned lizardfolk hunters enter the meat cabin just as he finishing.

"Come. Hunt with my side, archer master" one of them says in (broken) common tongue. "I am Kradag. They children said me humans allowed enter the village. I witness others lazing about with books, but you sir be a worthy hunter. Come Hunt with my side!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:Did Davin help Alex with the ritual, did anyone else for that matter? Kalee can because she's bored if she wants?
Davin MIGHT not be back on time.
Kalee will gladly help, if asked to (+2).

Editted the hourly schedule above.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"Well met, Kradag. I am Davin Fletcher. I would be honoured to join your hunting party. I offer you a share in my kills."

I motion that he should take a share of the dressed meat.

"Do I have time to eat lunch and check in with the others, huntsman?"

Diplomacy check=17

If I am back by midmorning and then dressed my kills it is probably after noon? If I take the time to eat lunch, it could work out perfect to help Alex. It only takes 10 minutes for the ritual, and then I head out of the cabin to meet with Kradag and his hunters.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity will aid Alex with a Nature check (22)
He offers healing to the villagers as well in exchange for prayers to the Queen. (Spun 3 Heals: 16, 14, and 17 total. Also willing to part with up to 3 Laying of Hands).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:"Well met, Kradag. I am Davin Fletcher. I would be honoured to join your hunting party. I offer you a share in my kills."
I motion that he should take a share of the dressed meat.
"Do I have time to eat lunch and check in with the others, huntsman?"
Diplomacy check=17

If I am back by midmorning and then dressed my kills it is probably after noon? If I take the time to eat lunch, it could work out perfect to help Alex. It only takes 10 minutes for the ritual, and then I head out of the cabin to meet with Kradag and his hunters.
"Yes! Meat would nicely fill us before the hunt! Go tell your friends while we eat! When you return, we hunt!

Davin makes it back just in time to help Alex, and informs whoever is there where he is going.

When he returns to the Hunters, Kradag says "Come! Mine nephew will ready your meats for the your tomorrow journey ... today, we hunt the four-headed freak ... today, we KILL the Bog Hydra!!!"

"You lead."

Kradag and three others follow Davin, allowing him the honor of leading the hunt.
(+8 to Perception, Nature, and Stealth Checks to hunt the Hydra)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Verity will aid Alex with a Nature check (22)
He offers healing to the villagers as well in exchange for prayers to the Queen. (Spun 3 Heals: 16, 14, and 17 total. Also willing to part with up to 3 Laying of Hands).
Got it. Editted in to hour-by-hour above.

Around dinner time, one of the hunters grabs Verity's arm after recieving his healing hands; the hunter points to a hut on the outskirts of the village, and says "Kyn Wandad. Drys, Ard." She pulls Verity toward the distant hut.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:As Alex promised, todays ritual is very different. His spellbook once again rests in the centre of a circle, four helpers arranged once more around him. The Lizardman takes his place to the West this time, Davin to the east, Verity to the south and Kalee takes the north.

Kalee in the north is instructed to arrange many crystals, Amythest, Fluorite, Jade (again) and Agate around a cracked ceramic pot containing freshly dug soil.
Davin watches over a fire burning in a soot covered red bowl, but doesn't know what to do with it.
Verity in the south warms a metal rod over the flame of a candle burning brighter and hotter than the forges of dwarves, even through his protective gloves Alex provided him with he can feel the heat. He sweats at the rod glows blindingly white, seeming to bend at the end as he heats it. Beads of his sweat track lines down his face like clouds moving through a normally clear sky.
The Mystic to the west prays, eyes closed whilst his hands hover over a small glass vial of water, his gutteral speech echoeing through the fairly silent hut.

"We shall begin" Alex starts a chant in the centre of the circle, the magical language replaced by common. You hear as he invokes the Gods of nature, the spirits of the land, to watch over him as he performs the ritual. He begins by uncovering a crude box that undoubtably contains a small swift bird. Then by taking another box, provided by the Mystic, and opening it to reveal bunches of rare herbs, flowers, and twigs. Alex's hands once more rummage through the piles of components in the centre, taking out a packet familiar- the salt from yesturday.

He gets up and walks around the edge of the circle, leaving a thin and sparse (yet continuous) circle of salt where once there was a circle of glowing chalk. Nothing mystical happens, but Alex is sure the work is complete. He returns to the centre, checking on the bird inside his box.

"Kalee, please take the Agate crystal and place it in the earthen bowl," As her hands find the right stone he cries out. "Great Earth Spirit, bless us here now and hear my call. Watch over us as we perform this ritual- now add the Jade- and grant us the magic of your land. Grant this creature protection in it's travels -Fluorite- and innate direction." Alex opens his eyes to check all the crystals are in the bowl. He smiles, and passes some herbs, flowers and twigs to Davin in the East.
"Spirits of the skies, here my cry. Bless this creature of your realm-Davin please burn a willow twig, followed by leaves of Holly- as it flies in your skies, grant it swift winds, weathers and protect it from prey-Add petals of the Jasmine flower one by one on every 5 beats of your heart please Davin."

Alex does not turn to begin with Verity, he simply begins to speak. Verity is elsewhere, however, as from within the ring of salt, Verity peers upward, ignoring his white hot metal for a moment. He can see ghostly bodies, thin and blue and barely tangable, pressing their eyes and hands upon an invisible shield -a hemisphere of greyish light anchored to the floor by the salt ring. The sunken-eyed spirits press their faces against the grey light, like starving children pressing their faces up against the windows of a busy bakery. Alex's voice hammers through the air, but Verity cannoy hear it. His hands move of their own accord. He can feel the hot metal heating the tips of his fingers, and suddenly snaps out of his trance.
Looking at his hands it seems he has performed his instructions and Alex has moved on to the Lizardman. The rod is no longer in his grasp, but has been placed in a long tube of sand nearby.

"Gods of the great Water, guide this animal into your lands and aid the creature in finding the Master Jenna, leader of the Imil water mages." The Lizardman continues to prey over his bowl.

Whereas yesturday Alex would now have begun to draw complex diagrams and sigils in the air before him to continue the ritual. Today he takes a large bowl before him. "Kalee, please remove the stones and pass me the soil." He adds the soil to the bowl.

"Davin, please pass me your bowl," He takes the bowl from Davin but does not add the still flaming contents, he skips verity and extinguishes Davin's bowl with the water from the Mystic's. He then adds the mixed contents to the centre pot, and takes the rod from the sand by Verity's side, using it to stir the contents.

He waves his hand over the mixture, calling to the great spirits once more, he shouts out a fragmented message, and once again reminds the spirits to send the animal to Master Jenna in Imil. As Alex continues to stir, the contents appear to liquify.

Alex stirs the mixture until nothing but a clear liquid is left, looking very similar to water. He asks Davin to remove the bird from the box. In the elves skilled hand Alex presses a kiss to the lips of the creature, and then presses his finger against the small animals forehead-wetted with the mystical concoction. The bird instantly stops struggling, and Alex smiles. "You may release him."

The five ritual casters move outside, and Davin throws his arms high, the bird soaring into the air with purpose. Alex smiles again, and then sighs. Turning back into the cabin to begin to copy another ritual.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:05 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:OOC- With 4 helpers, Alex's nature check is bumped up from 28 to 36! Close to the best it could have been!

Alex will also happily translate anything either Davin or Verity asks him to if the other lizardmen talk to them, save goes for anyone else.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:05 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:"Bedamned rituals! Me 'ead gonna explodes ... ahh much betters. Me learnt o' lot new rituals. Tells da mucker tanks fer me's whilst ye Alex?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Swifthand wrote:Using my own knowledge of the area, and with the additional information provided by Kradag, I gather what I know about the beast known as the Bog Hydra.

Passive Nature=30

With than knowledge, I start to inspect areas common to that species (watering holes, hunting grounds, ect.) and attempt to find recent tracks or signs.

Nature check=39

Assuming I pick up the trail, I begin to follow it, with the aid of Kradag and the others.

Perception check to track my quarry=31

If I don't lose the trail, the hunters and I stealthily follow the Bog Hydra, and then, when it doesn't expect it, attack.

Stealth check=35

O.O.C. - 300th post!

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Malazek wrote:
Hydra Lore wrote:A hydra is a serpentine beast with many heads. It lurks in swamps, bogs, and flooded caverns, preying upon virtually anything that crosses its path.Hydras are large natural beasts (reptiles).
Nature DC 20: Legends that speak of hydras that can regenerate severed heads have so far proven false.
Nature DC 25: Although hydras spend much of their time in water, they are not amphibious—they must surface to breathe.
Knowing that the legendary beast likes to stay out of sight, Davin checks the deepest parts of the Malbog first. It isn't long before he finds the telltale signs of it's slitherous passing. Following the trail with ease, Davin is led to a large mucky pool of incalcuable depth. Working with the benefits granted by years of teamwork, the lizardfolk hunter's take up positions; two in front, two behind.

Kradag looks to Davin, and nods the go ahead.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Sundown. What is Kardan doing during this time?
You have more than a day in the Lizardman village to work with
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:WoeVangg says, "Me not knowed dat muckers kin be's sitttin' w' da civil kind an' ... bedamn ... me not knowed dat muckers evens 'ad da brains ta do an'thing buts swings weapons at reg'lar folks! Seemeth dis all tie ta'gether somehaps ..."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Halcyon wrote:“Alex, I find myself in need of a translator if you would be so kind as to join us” Verity calls over his shoulder as he walks off with the hunter.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:After waking from his trance Straegis turns to Vangg and says, this time in perfect common "After
hours of copying words to your book and seeing the intricate detail of the work and art in there, SmallVangg
it is possible I underestimated your knowledge."
He bows slightly in a gesture of respect and continues,
"My experiences had shown me that small stature equalled small intellect, you sir are an
exception. I hope you will find my transcriptions sufficient."
Straegis then wanders off to find Kalee.

Sensing that she may have more to say, Straegis locates her in the village and strikes up a converstation
with her. "Fair Kalee, tell me again how exactly it was that you ended up with the hag Mika?" He
waits for her answer before asking his next question, "Would there be a hunting party looking
for you, or perhaps even a reward for your safe return?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:“Alex, I find myself in need of a translator if you would be so kind as to join us” Verity calls over his shoulder as he walks off with the hunter.
Alex is nowhere near close enough to hear the call. This happened while Verity was out healing the lizardfolk. Alex is still in the lodge.

Anyway ...
The hunter leads Verity to the small cabin, and takes him inside ... where he discovers an elderly, sick lizardwoman lying on a bed of reeds and covered in a fur blanket. She is coughing intermittenly, feverish, and displaying slight boils.

"Drys, Ard," the huntress repeats. Yl ar, drys, y ya kan."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Sensing that she may have more to say, traegis locates her in the village and strikes up a converstation with her. "Fair Kalee, tell me again how exactly it was that you ended up with the hag Mika?" He waits for her answer before asking his next question, "Would there be a hunting party looking for you, or perhaps even a reward for your safe return?"
The hag grabbed me while I was washing my family's laundry by the stream. She dragged me under the water, but I don't remember much after that until I woke up in the cabin (though, I did wake up once, in some kind of hut made of twigs, surrounded by bogwater and crows. There was a monster there, as well; a troll or an ogre, I'm not sure which."

"I'm sure my father gathered a search party, but they probably gave up the search weeks ago. My father might still be looking for me, but he has other children to care for. I hope he didn't neglect them to find me."

"My family is poor. I do not think they could offer much of a reward. I am sure, however, that if you bring me back safely, my father will offer you a generous meal ... but understand, that would be everything he has."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Sundown wrote:Kardan spends most of the day taking teaching anyone of the lizardfolk some manuevers with a spear or pole type weapons until hopefully intimidating one of the locals to a friendly fight so he can put his face in the mud and tail in the air.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Davin and I resolved this over the phone, so that it wouldn't take three days of solo play to resolve

Using his skill of Nature and knowledge of the bog hydra, Davin imitates the sound of meaty, easy prey: a big deer (Rolled a 39!). Then, he and the hunters prepare to attack the beast as it emerges.

Bog Hydra Hunt wrote:Tempted by the sound of a quick meal the hydra emerges from it's watery depth. Davin and the lizardfolk unload on it. (Five hits, 54 damage).

Davin and three hunters beat the hydra on initiative; the last hunter does not.

Davin moves up close, the hydra tries to bite him with it's threatening reach, but misses. Davin shoots the hydra with three arrows (one from Fox's cunning, and two from twin strike ... three hits, 27 damage).

Kradag buries his spear into the side of the big hydra (dealing 11 damage).

The next faster lizardfolk throw more javelins at it, hitting it twice (10 damage)

The hydra then makes FOUR bite attacks against the slowest hunter, hoping to avoid his pending spear jabs; but Davin shoots first, disrupting the hydras attacks with a well-aimed arrow (Disruptive Strike, 6 damage; the hydra's attacks are at -7!). Still, one head gets a taste of lizard flesh (4 damage).

Then, the hydra spends an action point and attacks the same hunter four times! This time, three heads sink their teeth into hunter (22 damage).

Davin yells to the injured Lizardman, and waves for him to move away.

The final injured hunter stabs the hydra with his spear (11 damage) and shifts away (shifting once with sidestep attack, and then again with his move action).

Next Round ...

Davin shifts away, firing an arrows as he goes (Shift one, and then Nimble Strike allows him to shift again while making an attack) .. but the shot misses (Natural 1).

The fastest three lizardmen attack with similiar zeal, delivering three successful wounds; one spear, two javelins (23 damage).

Again trying to avoid the pending attacks of the slower hunter, the hydra follows the injured hunter. This triggers an opportunity attack from Kradag (7 damage), but that doesn't stop the hydra from delivering a couple of vicious bites on the unfortunate lizardman (14 damage).

The hydra decides to save his OTHER action point for Davin, now.

Then, the final hunters jabs at the hydra again (another 7 damage).

Next Round ...

Davin nimbly steps back again, sending an arrow through one of the hydra's many eyeballs (Natch! Max! 23 Damage) and then moves back another 35 feet.

Kradag charges forward, impaling the hydra again (10 damage) .. but this triggers an opportunity attack from the hydra (6 damage).

Out of javelins, the two ranged hunters heft their spears and charge in; one hits, the other doesn't (8 damage) ... but they also invoke attacks from the hydra's threatening reach! (7 damage to each of them). They've also managed to block the hydra's path, so it cannot turn on the archer.

Enraged, the hydra attacks the wounded lizardman, fou times, again. (20 damage); the hunter drops.

Next Round ...

Davin fires his pattented twin arrows (21 damage).

The remaining lizardmen continue their pointed assault; three hits (27 damage).

The hydra retaliaties by biting Kradag three times (26 damage).
Kradag is bloodied.

Next Round ...

Davin pulls out his HBT ... sending the arrow into the slithering underbelly of the beast (18 damage, plus 5 ongoing).

Davin spends an action point.

Realizing the situation is die, Davin sends two more arrows at the monster; both hit (17 more damage).
The creature is finally bloodied.

The hunters all jab with their spears again, but all three missed!

Bleeding to death (5 damage, but makes the save), the hydra unloads on Kradag again (four hits, 26 damage).
Kradag drops.

Next Round ...

Davin retreats another 35 feet and then fires two more arrows (one misses; the other Natches! 14 damage

The last hunter's standing deperately thrist their spears at the monster. one misses, the other is dead on (a miss, and another crit; 11 damage).

The hydra lashes out at the two remaining lizardmen (spending an action point, and making EIGHT attacks; one Crit! and five other hits. 47 total damage).
Another hunter drops.

Davin yells to the hunter motioning for him to help Kradag, but has no idea whether the hunter understands him.

Next Round ...

Davin moves back ten more feet, and then fires two more arrows. Both hit. (15 damage).
Then, Davin screams and waves his arms, trying to draw the wrath of the hydra.

The last hunter shifts to Kradag's side, but then stabs the hydra with his spear. (Crit! 11 Damage).

The Hydra runs past the remaining hunter, trying to close the distance between it and Davin. The hunter uses the opportunity to make another attack, but misses. The hydra closes the distance between it and Davin (from 20 squares to just 6!)

Next Round ...

Davin looks around for a tree, but sees none; so he runs 45 feet away, and then fires a couple desperate shots (at -5 to hit); only one hits (9 damage). Davin is now 15 squares away from it.

The last Lizardmen checks on one of his companions.
That guy, spends healing surges and then a second wind.

The hydra, runs after Davin again; but cannot deliver it's bites (no actions left).

Next Round ...

Davin nimbly steps back, loosing another arrow. (13 damage).
Then, he turns and runs again (now, 11 squares away).

The hunter who just got up charge forward, imbedding their spears in the hydra's back end (both hit, one crits; 11 damage).

The one uninjured hunter checks on another of his pals.
That guy spends a surge and then a second wind.

The hydra rushes forward again, closing the distance between it and Davin; but again, getting their without enough steam to make bite.

Next round ...

Davin nimbles away, firing another shot (20 damage).
The ranged attack triggers an OA from the hydra.
The hydra bites Davin midshot (4 damage)
And then, Davin runs (putting himself 10 squares away).

The uninjured hunter finally help Kradag.
Kradag spends a surge and then his second wing.

Now two hunters have closed with the hydra, but only one hits. (8 damage).

Panicked, the Hydra decides to make a run for it. The water hole is only 60 yards away. It makes a run for it.

This provokes OA from the hunters.
Both hunters stab it (16 damage).

It will take the hydra 3 turns to get to safety.
I decided this allows Davin and the hunters 3 rounds to kill it as it runs

During that time, Davin stays on it, and fires 6 total shots; (five hit, 54 damage).
The hunter's go crazy with the spear attacks.
The four hunters get off 12 attacks; 6 hit, one is a crit (40 damage).
They also get off 12 OAs cuz it's running; 6 hits (35 damage).

The hydra escaped with 8 Hit Points left

Following his wounded prey to the watering hole, Davin unleashes his finishing move upon the defeated Hydra. Firing two perfectly aimed arrows into the water, both projectiles bite into the heart of the epic beast (Twin strike; both hit despite cover AND concealment; 22 damage).

The Bog Hydra is Dead!

More to come later.

BTW, that's 267 XPs for everyone.
Plus another 50 for the minor quest: Kradag's Hunt.
(That brings everyone to 2893, correct?)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Halcyon wrote:[Per phone conversation with Malazek, Verity discovers that the sickly elder in the cabin is both a relative to the huntress and a village holy woman.]
DM EDIT: Which Verity learns from the trappings in the hut, and the huntress's behavior (easy Perception and Insight checks)

Verity touches his fingertips to the fevered head of the sickly elder in the cabin. (Lay Hands = 21 hit points if she needs it.) He prays, "Yay, though this one has a rich life to offer you and has begun to hope for the peace only you give, take her not beyond the veil. Your humble servant Verity Servinus petitions she remain a bit longer in this mortal coil, oh Queen, for she is a healer. Spin her fate a bit longer and she will tend more births in this village, and offer you a more vibrant tapestry to weave, and a richer harvest in the end."

He prepares a broth of coneflower, ginger, and elfbark from the old woman's stores and encourages her to drink. (natch 20+8=28 heal+any aid from the huntress or healer)

"Speak ye the common tongue of men, Healer?"

[if not, then:] He motions for the huntress to stay outside the cabin and goes to the wooden lodge. "Alex, when you've a moment, the village healer is ill and I would have words with her. "

DM Edit: Changed HPs gained from lay on Hands. Even though you spend the surge, the HPs gained is based on THEIR surge value.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:He prays, "Yay, though this one has a rich life to offer you and has begun to hope for the peace only you give, take her not beyond the veil. Your humble servant Verity Servinus petitions she remain a bit longer in this mortal coil, oh Queen, for she is a healer. Spin her fate a bit longer and she will tend more births in this village, and offer you a more vibrant tapestry to weave, and a richer harvest in the end."
The old woman says, "Ank krangar." <cough, cough> "Ydar anydyng Y canda da ank ya, alna"
The huntress adds, "Yaya, ank, krangar. Ank ya, ank ya!"

Halcyon wrote:He prepares a broth of coneflower, ginger, and elfbark from the old woman's stores and encourages her to drink. "Speak ye the common tongue of men, Healer?"

He motions for the huntress to stay outside the cabin and goes ...
When Verity turns to leave ...

The old woman pleads? Wa, wa. <cough, cough> Danga, danga. Kam caar!" <cough, cough>
"Nana, danga! WA, WA! Ya wanya kam caar," the huntress says with enthusiasm.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next