Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies" - Page 3 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Malazek wrote:Davin, Kardan, and Ayrikai ...

The Innkeeper emerges from his personal living space, wearing a cap and robe, and carrying a armful of blankets and pillows. "Good evening, kind sir." He says, toward Ayrikai, "I'm sorry, we have no rooms left; it's this godforsaken weather. I'll give you this bedding, and you can bunker down out here by the fire, provided you don't mind being kept up awhile by the likes of these two. There's a few extra blankets here, but if nobody else wanders in, you're welcome to 'em. I'm going back to bed."

Davin takes a quick mental inventory: There are two luxory rooms and four regular rooms; so six total. The dwarf is in one of the luxory rooms, because he took a bath. Then, there's Davin, Kardan, the old Lady, the two imperial soldiers, and the shadowy guy (who, in all likelihood, took the other luxory room); that's six guests.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies" - Page 3 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Swifthand wrote:"Tomas, another pitcher before you go, please...that will set the night off right, and another mug, if you would like to share a pint, friend? Nothing better to help put that storm behind you." I look inquisitively at the Teifling as I place a few coins to cover the ale on the table.

If Ayrikai joins us, I switch to common, and go on to explain about the old lady and the help she needs. I also say that she has to have some money, because she paid for my food and room without a second thought. I then go on to tell the interlude between the dark, hooded figure and the dwarf, tying it together with Kardan seeing the dwarf jump out the window.

After helping finishing off the pitchers, I head to my room and go to bed, though I keep my blade under my pillow and my bow and quiver next to my bed.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Ashimar wrote:"Thank you. It's been some time since i've had company .... beyond myself. I am called Ayrikai."

I listen to the elf spin his tale, my curiosity piqued.

After the story and the pitchers are done, I bid them good night, lay down next to the hearth, and pull my tail well away from the fire.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:"Ye be too kind, sir. O'course me doesn't mind. Beblessed ye fer helpin' da wet an' weary ta shelter!" Vangg replies, sitting up in the bed.
"Jus' please tells me it not be an' ol' woman w' warts all o'er her face."

magicspellz12 wrote:If he lets me in

Alex smiles and his shoulders sag with weariness. He walks into the warm room and smiles at the scrawny dwarf.

[color=blue]"Hello. Who are you?"

If the dwarf responds in a friendly manner Alex introduces himself in the same manner as he did with the Cooper. "W-Would you like me to erm...clean those clothes of yours?" he asks the dwarf, raising a hand instinctively but holding off the magic until he recieves a reply.

In response to Alex's greeting:

"Me be WoeVangg ... da Wanderin' Priest. Vangg fer shorts if ye please."

The dwarf listens to Jonas' footsteps heading down the stairs. He whispers, "Surely, clean me clothes, and ... many thanks! Clean all ye want, me just be glads ye ain'ts a hag or witch ..."

Squinting one eye, the dwarf continues, "Ye ain'ts da Hag in disguise is ye?"

Gulp!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex smiles. "My name is Alex. I'm not a hag..." He raises his pale silvery blue eyebrows. "I'm a water mage, from Imil as I said to the kind Cooper."

--------------------------------
Knowledge Arcana on Hags: 12 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1681131/
-------------------------------

Alex cracks open the window a tiny bit. Then raises his hands in Vanng's direction. "Don't worry, it wont hurt...actually, you look pretty clean. I'll just get the rain out of your clothes" He breathes in deeply, and then lowers his hands, the spots of rain that were soaking Vanng's clothes detatch from them and flow to the floor. Alex then lifts the water and sends it in a trickle out the open window with his magic.

Prestidigitation

"So, erm...hags? Is one hunting you or something?"

Alex happily engages in polite conversation whilst he takes some water from the waterskin and soaks the floor with it, then lifts it back, dragging the dirt with it.

He works long after Vanng has slept, being completely moneyless he feels its the best he can do. He finally crawls into bed in the early hours, leaving this room and the next sparklingly clean.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Well, a 12 doesn't help any, but your PASSIVE Aracana of 20 does ...

DC 15: Hags often know dark rituals that allow them to scry distant places, see into the future, manipulate the weather, or place curses on those who anger them. They gather in small groups called covens, thereby combining their ritual knowledge.

DC 20: Hags are living manifestations of nature’s ugliness, much as eladrin and elves embody nature’s beauty. Miserable and conniving, they seek to destroy those who are content in life. They like to collect treasure and will often impart knowledge or free captives in exchange for valuable items

Vangg and Alex ...
After a small bit of chatter, they both go to sleep.

Davin, Kardan, and Ayrikai ...
Shortly after Davin heads up to his room, Ayrikai curls up snuggly next to the hearth and comfortable drifts off. Shortly after, Kardan heads to his room and goes to sleep, as well (I assume).

Thankfully, the night passes without incident; Morning comes swiftly, flooding your room with light. Small birds are already singing to you.

Ayrikai ...
Bright and early, the common room begins to fill with people.

The first to arrive is a loud and cheerful man who orders "the Farmer's Feast." Bleary-eyed and incapable of speech, the Innkeeper grunts at the man, and brings him his order.

Shortly after, two dwarven women enter and order the same thing. After more grunting, their food comes, too.

The next to arrive are a couple of Imperial Guards, who seem to have rooms upstairs. They order Sausage and Eggs, and wolf it down with incredible speed. Then, they ask for a dozen muffins "for the road."

Next, a old lady (presumably the same you heard about) bounds energetically (but not spryly) down the stairs, and orders a mug of coffee. She then precedes to pester the loud and cheerful man about a job.

Several more villagers enter, most of whom order the Farmer's Feast.

As you pull yourself out of slumber, you notice a new sign has been hung by the front door. It reads:
*Sausage and Eggs 2 silvers
*Farmers Feast (Eggs, Sausage, Bacon, Flapjacks, Grits, Biscuits, Gravy, Black Coffee) 5 gold
*Muffins 2 coppers ~ Baker's dozen 2 silvers
*CLEAN WATER 2 SILVERS!
*Bottomless Coffee 1 silver (Included with rooms)
*Baths available for 1 Gold

Davin and Kardan ...
By the time you make it downstairs, the Common Room is full! Tomas greets you, and offers a degeated shrug (As if saying, "what can I do? The wife cooks a mean breakfast"). There is just no place to sit. But then, the Imperial Soldiers get up. "Mr. Fletcher! You and your friend can have our table. We're heading out, anyway!"

The old lady you met last night is sitting at one of the tables, talking with one of the other customers. Eventually, she gets up and comes over to your table. "Ah foun' us another s'ord. Looks like ye d't'. Na all w'need's some 'ealin' an' magic."

Before you leave, Tomas collects whatever you owe on your Tab.
Please mark off the appropriate amount.

Vangg and Alex ...
When the two of you crawl from your bunks, the Cooper says "Hey sleepy heads! Breakfast is on the table. Sorry I didn't wait, but I need to open shop!" And he heads dowstairs.

Making your way to the kitchen, you meet the Cooper's wife, who has a ridiculous pile of flapjacks waiting for you, along with some jelly, butter, and syrup. A few small slices of fried ham and pile of corn round out the sides. Gesturing to a large ceramic carafe, she says "I hope you like Ristretto Breve? That's the only way Jonas drinks it." She stands up to shake your hands "I'm Gretta."

During breakfast she adds "You might wanna head over to the Strewbowl before it gets crowded, and see if you can procure a room for tonight. The weather's supposed to be bad again."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:14 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex takes a modest amount of flapjack, gulping them down and accepting the coffee. They make a delightful change to the foraged food from the swamp.

"Thank you for your hospitality. I suppose I should be getting to the Inn. I've no money but I did attempt to clean the shop up for you. I seek employment today, and I shall certainly return with a gift of thanks should I be lucky enough to find some.
Do you come with me Vanng?"

Alex dips his head in a short bow, and then leaves, flexing his hands as he makes his way to the Inn.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg unmodestly scarfs down the flapjacks and ham, and drinks his fill of coffee. Before leaving, he thanks the Coopers and says a blessing over their home. Outside, he taps Alex on the shoulder.

"Nows, gotta be careful 'round dat inn me new friend," the dwarf whispers. "Thar be a Hag. Me gots a room at da inns last nights, an' whilst me fell asleeps in da bath, a letter appeared outta nowhere's ..."

Looking around suspiciously, Vangg went on, "Da letter says, 'Bewares da Hag! She causeth da storms an' bring da folk in ta make 'em in ta stew!' See ye fer yeself!"

Vangg hands Alex the infamous letter which actually reads:"Beware the Hag dressed in maiden, for her secret is a terrible one."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Davin, a bit ripe and sticky from many days in the forest, coupled with drinking last night, gets a bath before heading down to the common room. Seeing the common room so full, I scowl for a moment, but brighten at the soldiers offer.

"My thanks for the table. Stay safe on your journeys", I say as the soldiers get up to leave. I order sausage and eggs, and get my complimentary "bottomless" coffee. I also offer a seat to Ayrikai if I see him in the common room.

I have finished my meal by the time the old lady bounds up to our table. Answering her, I say "Yes, this is Kardan (and if Ayrikai is with us "and this is Ayrikai"). Hey, by the way, what is your name?"

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Ashimar wrote:Finishing my feast I grab my coffee and join Davin.

"Good morning. This then, is the lady you mentioned?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Malazek wrote:Davin, Kardan, and Ayrikai ...
"Ah la-a-a-dy?" the old woman laughs. "Dats like puttin' a bower atop d'pooper ... ya cin calls me 'Agatha ... Well, we needs a 'eale' an' a sor'cer first ... but bas'cally, Ah needs a team t'scort me an' me an' my wagon to my cabin to fetch my her'tance from m' sister. She's a nasty one, she is. Ah'll gives ya all a cut once I 'ave it in my hands."

Alex & Vangg ...
Alex and Vangg pass a couple Imperial Soldiers, just as Alex finishes unfolding the note. The soldiers are sitting at the reigns of a large covered wagon. "Mornin'!" they call all out with a smile. The dark, shadowy figure that Vangg saw in the common room last night emerges from the Stewbowl, and climbs into the back of the cpvered wagon.

Everybody! (Yay) ...
Kardan and Ayrikai are finishing their breakfasts (Davin's been done awhile, now) just as Vangg and Alex walk in. (Most of the townsfolk are done by now, and left several minutes ago to tend to their work).
In the Stewbowl now ...
Davin
Kardan
Ayrikai
The Old Woman
The loud and cheerful mercenary she seems to have hired.
Alex
Vangg
Plus the Inkeeper (Tomas), his wife, and the youngins' (Tomy & Lyda).

The Old lady nudges Davin, and nods her head towards Vangg and Alex, as they enter.
"arse' dem t'join us, an' we gots a contrac'."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"Beward the Hag dressed in maiden, for her secret is a terrible one. Now thats interesting." Alex says to his new found companion, slipping the note into his own pocket and glancing around.

"I can't see any maidens? So surely there is nothing to worry about?" He raises a pair of silvery eyebrows. "So, who'd you think I should ask about employment?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Sundown wrote:Kardan thanks the Imperials and sits , orders sausage and eggs and gets the free coffee. Kardan also cleaned up before breakfast. "Good morning Davin , Ayrikai , i feel a buzz in the air this morning."

Kardan greets the woman.

O.O.C. I can barely read that dark green Swift , i mean at all , dont know if its my monitor or the different shades of backgroujnds.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:16 pm

Swifthand wrote:I check out the two that Agatha pointed out...

Insight check = 15
Perception check = 21

I stand up and approach Alex and Vangg. "Excuse me, you two - got a minute?"

Assuming they were going to say yes, I continue on....

"My name is Davin Fletcher, hunter and guide around these parts, and I represent someone who is looking to employ mercenaries. You both look like you can handle yourselves - is that something you would be interested in? The party she is putting together could sure use the added assistance, and you will get an even cut of any booty that is discovered in the course of our travels.... "

O.O.C. - I tried olive, lets see if that is any better....

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex raises his eyebrows. "Employment is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll accept, no matter what it is. I'm desperate."

Alex steps up to the swelling group. When the moment is appropriate he introduces himself.
"My name is Alex, and I am a Water Mage from the Ice covered city of Imil. I was sent to The Malbog to look for an ancient Water tribe...but found nothing. I've currently exhausted all my funds and would like to earn some money to travel, either back to Imil or to continue searching area's where lost Tribes are said to be found- depending on my luck." He sighs, and rubs his gloved hand to his pale skinned forehead. "And the rest of you? Davin is a woodsman correct? My friend Vanng here is a Priest I believe..."
His voice trails off, waiting for someoen else to pick up the conversation.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:I check out the two that Agatha pointed out...
Insight check = 15
Perception check = 21

The Dwarf is a cleric of the Raven Queen, and seems a bit on edge; as if he expects trouble. He is smaller than most other Dwarves, even smaller than some of the halflings that 'trol the river.

The other looks to be a magic user of somesort, with some kind of paddinf or armor under his clothes (difficult to see). His blue decor supports his claim to be a water mage, as does the pairs unusually clean clothes. He seems eager to work.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Malazek wrote:The loud and cheerful mercenary says "My name is Jack. Jack Larossa! Or just Jack the Red. Perhaps you've heard of me? No? Among the riverfolk, I am known as Trushdar!! Still no? Hmm. Well, please to meet you. I am looking forward to this assignment! My blade is at your service."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Ashimar wrote:"These are whom you throw your lot in with? May as well be back in the bog."

"ENOUGH! Quell your forecasts of doom for once, you thrice damned dastard of Orcus. Leave me to mine."

Hoping no one notices the internal conflict I smile reassuringly.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:"Wells, all ye be still about!" the dwarf says with an embarrassed face, "Me thoughts ye's be eatens by n ..."

Vangg stops himself and changes his sentence's direction, "... eatens by da storms dat is, har! Be glad ta joins ye lil' witch hunt party ... er ... team. Me be WoeVangg, wanderin' priest o' the Queen."

OOC:Some notice that Vangg's broken common isn't the typical dialect of most dwarves - more of an accent that spawned in the deep part of some backwoods; sounds more like a goblin or orc trying to speak common tongue.

Certain the mage would side with him if any trouble brewed, Vangg felt less threatened. He always considered himself a good judge of character.

"Sir Davidge, me whilst bebless us folk on dis journey. An' well met Sir Red Jack o' da Trushwoods!"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Jacks blurts "Thrushwoods? Wha?! Hrm, Uh, well, please to meet you, too. ... ?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Malazek wrote:The old lady says "Yeys, well met, all of yas. If ye'd all like to git started, m'wagon's out back. We cin dispense wit' da pleasantries on d'road. If'n ye don't min' dat is."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"Of course madam. Let us make haste. I shall examine the wagon, planning how to use my powers to defend it most efficiently." Without waiting for the rest of the group Alex strides to the door, eager to see the wagon and plan how to defend it should they be attacked during their travels.

----------------------------
Alex looks around for the wagon, and then has a poke through what it contains, how many chairs, and the animals leading it.
Passive Perception: 12
Perception: 20 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1683232/.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:The four-wheeled wagon seems to be in excellent shape and very sturdy. The teamster's bench is built for two, but could probably hold three in a pinch. The bed of the wagon has a long bench on either side, easily capable of holding half a dozen persons on each. The wagon itself is pulled by two heavy draft horses who by all appearances are strong and healthy.

Stored in the back of the wagon is a large crate containing dried fruits and legumes (trail mix) as well as jerkied mutton; two large barrels holding enough water for several days; a tent rolled up and stored under one bench; dried wood is stored under the other bench, and looks to be enough for just a couple campfires; and finally two large oars, which initially seem out of place.

With an eye for water-proofing, Alex notices that the wagon has been sealed like a ship. As the rest of the party files out, Alex begins to wonder if such a heavy wagon could really float?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:To move things along ...

The party climbs into the wagon, along with 'Agatha and Jack, and sets off toward adventure. The wagon makes a quick stop down the road, so Jack can pick up some apples and a flask of brandy; if anyone else needs something, nows the time to get it (just make a respective mention at the top of your next post).

Finally, the things are underway. The horses lead the wagon westward, passing several muddy streets and quaint rustic buildings. Some of the townsfolk seems as sullen as the bog, but others are happy and cheerful. As the wagon leaves Brackwater, you can see another wagon in the distance. Both Vangg and Alex recognize it as the wagon the Imperial soldiers were in.

A few miles later, the old lady turns wagon to the south (the other wagon continues west) and appears to be following a trepidatious path into the Malbog. As the wagon creaks and sways, she says "Don't ye worry, she'll hol' together."

But it isn't long before the wheels are mostly submerged, despite the apparent "trail" you're following. Nonetheless, you all know that on either side, the bog must be MUCH deeper.

"N'much fu'ther," she says. "But dis spots kin'a dang'rous, so be 'lert."

As if on cue, you hear a loud SCREEEEEEEEEEE!!! Looking up, you see that somebody has fired a humming bulb; a signal arrow. Somebody needs help. Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!. In the worst bit of luck you have ever seen, the harmless signal whistle imbeds itself in Jacks head.

He turns to the rest of you and says "Ahht. Ahht!" And then dies.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:19 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. Lol, redshirt #1 bites it!

I buy a keg of the Stewbowl's Ale before we leave, and stow it, and my pack under one of the benches in back. I am willing to sit in back, though I would rather sit on the front bench (better to keep an eye out). When we stop at the General Store, I purchase a tin mug.

When the signal arrow go off, I want to make a Perception check to determine the direction they were fired from...
Perception check=22

and then make a Nature check to determine if there is a viable path through the bog in that direction...
Nature check=18

I pull out my bow and knock an arrow, duck my head, and scan the bog.

Then I wipe the sweat from my brow with the back of my dirty sleeve.

Arrow count: 60

O.O.C. Huzzah! Possible combat!

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next