Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

4 posters

Page 7 of 31 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19 ... 31  Next

Go down

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy - Page 7 Empty Re: Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Elodie wrote:Once she is in the alley, she will spend several minutes trying to detect magical alarms at the ground level and as far up as her "magical" eyes will allow her to see.
Cast Detect Magic.
Elodie sees faint auras of abjuration on every window ... strong evidence that magical alarms are in place. Traces of a powerful enchantment aura are also "bleeding" through the walls, suggesting that some sort of supremely powerful magic is at work, here, inside the tower.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy - Page 7 Empty Re: Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

Post  Alpha Omega Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Jeremiah will be on look out while Elodie detects magic.

"Are the ledges trapped, or just the windows?"
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:06 pm

"Just the windows, not the ledges, but there are alarms on all of the windows--and some kind of powerful enchantment inside of the house. Entering the house sneakily would be very risky. Let me try to peak inside."

Elodie will transform into a small bird and check out the ledges, one by one, attempting to see inside.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:59 am

There are a lot of windows, but Elodie has no trouble making her way from one to the next. Peeking into each window, she sees a number of relatively mundane rooms (this is a home, after all). She spies a dining hall, a kitchen, a grow room, conservatory, a lounge, a craft studio, a storage room, a den, a drawing room, an observatory, and a library. She sees several bedrooms and a number of small studies. None of the rooms are well-lit. A few candles, left burning, provide the only light.

She does not see the wizard or the orb. She does spot a handful of guards, however, as they make their way around the tower. All of the guards carry stout batons, but seem to be unarmored.

As the guards work their way around the tower, Elodie is able to get a glimpse of what lies beyond the interior doors. It would seem that all of these rooms connect to a central area that houses a single grand stairwell. With her keen powers of perception, she also notices that several of the doors have strange mystical symbols drawn into them. She is unable to discern the properties of the symbols, at this time.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:40 pm

Elodie studies the symbols carefully, hoping to be able to recreate them for Talmut on the ground. She then flies up to the roof, to see if there's anything up there.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:01 pm

Elodie wrote:She then flies up to the roof, to see if there's anything up there.
The tiled roof slants steeply on all sides, rising to a single spire that stands high above the walls. Three small chimneys perforated the tiles, billowing smoke into the night air. In other words, nothing unusual.
Elodie wrote:Elodie studies the symbols carefully, hoping to be able to recreate them for Talmut on the ground.
OOC: Elodie is very perceptive ... but she only say the mystical symbols as they were moving through the dark (they were on the opposite side of the doors, facing away from the window, and she only saw them as the guards opened the doors to enter the dimly lit rooms). Still, a roll is in order ... it's a very difficult roll, but a roll nonetheless.

OOC: Even then, a roll is required to remember the details of the intricate symbols. We'll call that a linguistics roll.

OOC: The TN for Talmut to identify the symbol from Elodie's description will depend on those two rolls.

OOC: All such rolls were made in secret, by me.

When Elodie returns, she attempts to recreate the symbols to the best of her ability. Though the recreations are not perfect, Talmut is able to glean some information from her drawings. Talmut discerns that the magical symbols were created by powerful spells that act as traps and wards. Symbols of this type can cause fear or even death, but (based on the fact that the master of the house is an enchanter) are more likely to induce sleep, implant ideas, or inflict outright madness. Sometimes, these types of magicks can be triggered just by looking at them, but in this case are probably set-up to ward the threshold of each door. Specific individuals (like the guards) can be granted access, by the caster, at the time the symbol is drawn. Other variations are feasible, as well.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:03 pm

"Hmm...Well can either of you protect us against these types of traps? If not maybe we should come up with another plan. I wonder how much he would pay to find out who is paying burglars to rob him of his possessions...

Or, maybe we just go to the Duke and see what he suggests, this is his town. It may not be wise to start trouble in it..."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Talmut points out that he might be able to dispel the abjuration effect that is affecting the window. 

Gumphrey adds "If I can get inside, without being noticed, I think I can disable those glyphs. Maybe. I can try, anyway ... but I think Jeremiah is right. We should at least discuss our other options, before doing something that would anger the Duke."

Of course, Talmut reminds Gumphrey that the Duke cannot scry on them now, not without Talmut knowing about it.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:59 pm

"Do you honestly think that the Duke is going to give us 45,000 gold pieces a piece just for not robbing someone?" Elodie asks. "I'd like the gold...and it seems like we might be able to do this. Once we're inside, maybe I can change my appearance to look like one of the guards?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Glitz wrote:"Do you honestly think that the Duke is going to give us 45,000 gold pieces a piece just for not robbing someone?" Elodie asks. "I'd like the gold...and it seems like we might be able to do this. Once we're inside, maybe I can change my appearance to look like one of the guards?"

"I wasn't implying the Duke would pay us, I was referring to the man you are scheming to rob right now. I thought he might give us some coin for information on why he has been robbed several times of late and to whom was sending these thieves. The information we received sounded shaky at best as well. Do as you wish though, it seems you have made up your mind."

Shaking his head..

"Also, I realize that the Duke can not scry on us, but what happens if this goes south. From an outside prospective it looks like we are breaking and entering and committing larceny in a potentially law abiding citizens home."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:43 am

Talmut frowns, furtively. Then, explains that he's more interested in making sure the orb doesn't end up in the wrong hands. Since he doesn't know which brother to trust, he wants to investigate the premises, in order to asses the situation for himself. He also states that getting paid for doing what's right would be a nice bonus, too. He had considered telling the duke, but was worried that the law might be an obstacle to doing what needs to be done.

Gumphrey adds, "There's no guarantee that either brother will actually pay us ... even the brother who hired us (What was his name, anyway? Did he even tell us?) could just try to take the orb from us, after we've removed it from the protection of this tower." He looks up, and then continues, "I also thought that it might be easier to just steal the gold, rather than to steal the orb and THEN sell it for gold ... but I was curious to see whether we could pull this off. I mean, this could be one of the biggest heists in recent memory! We'll be famous!"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 am

Jeremiah will then explain to Talmut that he understands his concerns, however in order to investigate further we will be breaking the law. Remember we now are official representatives of Umbrafall.

"So do the means justify the ends? What brings you to the assumptions about the law? I am not familiar with living in cities as such, so I am unaware of these types of systems."

To Gumphrey...

"Weren't you just pardoned for such unscrupulous activities? I am not sure I want to be remembered or gain renown for pulling off a heist. I wish to be remembered as the Giant Slayer not as an Orb thief or any kind of thief for that matter. But if this is what the group wants, then I will no longer be an obstacle, lets just continue with whatever the plan is. Majority has always had the vote in this party and I do not wish to change that balance. I have said my piece and we can move forward with the heist."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:56 am

Talmut reiterates that he's not advocating stealing the orb ... not yet, anyway. He merely wants to make sure it won't be used for evil. If he sees any evidence that either of the brothers intend to use it for nefarious purposes, then (and only then) will he suggest "commandeering" it. He realizes that trespassing and larceny are probably both illegal and he doubts exceptions are made due to the moral compass of the "victim." Nonetheless, he wants to look around. Although he normally wouldn't break law, he is willing to, for the greater good. If there's a way to do that without breaking in, he would be willing to consider it. (He has spells that would allow him to peer inside the tower, if Jeremiah thinks that would be a wiser decision).

Talmut also adds that he doesn't want to be famous for theft, either. He says that IF you all steal the orb, he would rather it remain a secret. When Gumphrey hears that, he says "Well, what's the point, then? Elodie, what do you think?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:44 pm

"Maybe we can attempt to find out which brother best deserves this orb before deciding anything further. Talmut, is it unusual for wizards to seek each other out to ask for knowledge and wisdom? If you were to knock and ask to see the old man, would that arouse suspicion?"

Elodie smiles at Gumphrey's dreams of fame. "You dream of fame and I of fortune, but Jeremiah and Talmut do not want their names sullied by such activities. In the end, though, bragging of such a heist might burn some of the bridges we have built so far."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:39 pm

Talmut remarks that while it would not be unusual, it would certainly arouse suspicion. Wizards frequently visit each other, but often try to steal each other's secrets. That being said, he is willing to give it a shot, after he has cast the spell that would let him look around.

Then, Talmut informs the party that his spell might take some time and asks them to keep watch. He then reaches into his bag and procures a small glass sphere that looks remarkably like a human eye. Staring into the eye, he mutters ancient words that are only known to the Houses of Nu'ul. After a while, his eyes roll back into his head. Then, as if in trance, he mutters that the room has been magically warded against scrying, but that he is going to try and "push through it." After a moment, he mutters that he was successful.

- OOC: d20 + Caster level vs. DC of 30 (Success)

Talmut uses his magic to look deep into the heart of the tower, hoping to locate the orb itself. What he sees is a wide room with four pillars supporting the floor above. In center of the room, a pedestal supporting a round object with an embroidered throw over the top of it. He assumes that's the orb. Several braziers are lit, all around the room, providing illumination. The perimeter of the room is lined with shelves, variously filled with books, scrolls, herbs, vials, mirrors, small boxes, and an assortment of other items. There is also a large chest in one corner, as well as two large work tables standing about halfway between the "orb" and the walls. There are only two doors; one at floor level and the other and the top of a narrow staircase.

He does not see the wizard. He does, however, spot a stunted and disfigured creature working at one of the tables. The creature is much shorter than a man, with long twisted ears, a bulbous nose, matted black hair, and warty green skin. It seems to be grinding something with a pestle and mortar. He watches the creature for a moment and realizes that it's ankle has been shackled to one leg of the table.

A minute or two later, the door above the stairs opens and another man enters. As he descends the stairs, Talmut wonders at his attire: golden-brown silk robes cut to resemble scales, with gold and silver embroidery around the hems and a matching belt. His face is covered by a bronze mask with two tiny faux horns. Though his head is bald, his long white beard is luscious and exquisitely braided. As the man approaches, the grotesque worker falls to his knees and begins to grovel. The bearded scholar pets the creature's head as he walks past.

When he reaches the pedestal, he removes his mask. Talmut immediately recognizes him as the mage of the house. His resemblance to the man who hired you is uncanny. They could be twins.

Then, he watches as the man removes the throw from the object on the pedestal. Under the cover, rests a heavy bronze orb with mottled blue patterns etched into the surface. The man places one hand upon the orb and closes his eyes. Immediately, he begins talking to someone, but Talmut cannot see who. (Nor can he hear the conversation, because his spell allows either sight or sound, not both).

He watches the man for a few more minutes, before his own spell ends.

When his time is up, Talmut recants what he saw. He describes the room and all of its contents, including the monstrous slave, the collection of lore, the well-dressed wizard, and especially the orb. He also tells them what the man did when he touched the orb.

Unsure what to make of the enslaved monster, he asks the others what they think of the situation.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:10 am

Jeremiah shrugs...

"I am not sure I know what to think of this.."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:27 pm

OOC: Does Elodie recognize what the creature is from Talmut's description?

Knowledge: Nature +15

"You said he's chained to a table? That sounds cruel...did the wizard seem unstable, Talmut?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Elodie wrote:OOC: Does Elodie recognize what the creature is from Talmut's description?
Knowledge: Nature +15
- Untrained Intelligence roll = 5

The description of the creature does not match anything Elodie has heard of before. After listening to the description, however, the Shadow Man says "Wow, what? That sounds like a goblin, but goblins aren't real ... well, I take that back. I guess they're about as real as Dwarves." Once she hears the word "goblin," Elodie recognizes it, as well.
Elodie wrote:"You said he's chained to a table? That sounds cruel...did the wizard seem unstable, Talmut?"
Talmut states that he didn't see any evidence of madness or instability. He also states that he likes Elodie's plan of just visiting the wizard, but thinks the party should do so under false pretenses (that is, with a cover story and possibly some disguises). He asks his companions for some ideas, in this regard.* He also re-iterates that infiltrating the man's home does NOT mean stealing the orb ... not unless it becomes absolutely necessary to do so.

-*OOC: I talked to Talmut about this just before I left work. 

Talmut also laments the fact that Goblin Mouth is one of the few languages he neglected to study.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:14 pm

"Maybe Talmut and Jeremiah can go talk to the wizard while Gumphrey and I attempt to sneak in? You could tell him that the Duke spoke very highly of him...or perhaps his brother, who we met at the Zaubereigarten, told us of his power. Maybe you could ask him for dragon fighting advice? Or maybe you could go in as a collector from a wealthy royal family from Nu'ul and his trusty bodyguard, interested in purchasing artifacts for the palace."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Gumphrey nods with approval, as he listens to Elodie's suggestions.

OOC: I'm not how Talmut would respond, so I will talk to Swift before posting anything for him. Hopefully, he will be able to join us again, soon (soon enough to post a response, maybe? We'll see).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:45 pm

"I think our best course of action would be to discern if this wizard is evil or not, and then too the wizard who has proposed this venture to us. If the wizard with the orb is not evil, we should just leave the situation be and not steal it from him. If both wizards are evil, or if the brother who hired us is good and the wizard with the orb is evil, then I believe we should seek to determine whether or not the Duke is also evil."

"If the Duke is not evil, then we should present to him the facts and act according to his wishes. Now, if the Duke is also evil, I believe we should consult the Vicereine before taking any further action. As an official knight of the Vicereineit is my duty to not only protect her realm, but to act accordingly when traveling; for I represent her and my actions reflect upon her. The last thing we need is to start a feud between the Vicereine and the Duke and to jeopardize our standings in Umbrafall. Sacrificing that standing would be a greater loss to us than any short term monetary gains we would get from stealing this orb."

"If this wizard with the orb is good, then we should see what he is trying to do and let him know that his brother plots against him. Or, if we are given legal recourse to take the orb, I think either Talmut, myself, or Elodie should try and see what the orb does, before we try and sell it. I would hate to put a powerful weapon into the hands of someone ill equipped to use it."

"I believe, however, we will need to purchase some scrolls of detecting evil for Gumphrey to use, to see who is evil and who has good."

"Talmut, you are a wizard, so I leave the cover story to you and what you would see as most believable."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:06 pm

OOC: I was hoping Swift would post today, but I guess he's not quite ready yet ...

Talmut concurs with Jeremiah's plan, specifying that "special" scrolls will be necessary; scrolls that won't require Gumphrey to speak or gesture at all, while he uses the scroll's magic. He also adds his own suspicion that this orb is no ordinary trinket, but rather a powerful relic from a lost age. He believes there is a connection between this orb and the dragons amassing in Jotun Valley. He suspects that one of the brothers would use the orb to destroy Umbrafall. While he thinks the Duke is probably a swell fellow, he also doesn't want to hand the orb to someone that might use it to take over the kingdom. So, in his mind, the scrolls are absolutely necessary to making the right decision.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Gumphrey acquiesces. "I understand. So, let's get these scrolls and put our minds at ease ... but, if either of these brothers turns out to be evil, we should at least consider getting paid. I mean, if either the Duke or the Vicereine sends us back for the orb, then maybe we should take some other stuff while we're at it ... to help offset the cost of our altruistic sacrifice. Right, Elodie?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:42 pm

"Absolutely. I don't volunteer for the great town of Umbrafall...so where do we get these scrolls, anyway? Who has the money to purchase them?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Talmut answers that he saw some back at the Zaubereigarten. He also says that they should cost about 375 gold each. Talmut personally has enough gold to pay for two of the scrolls. He's about 200 gold short for the third one.

Gumphrey shakes his head. "I only have 25 gold on me, I'm afraid. Not enough, really."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 31 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19 ... 31  Next