Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

5 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man - Page 12 Empty Re: Adventure #2 - The Shadow Man

Post  Swifthand Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:04 pm

Cast Web in T17.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Free: Draw axe in off-hand...
Jeremiah will call his horse to him and attempt to mount him and ride off again.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:13 pm

ROUND 2

Init 27
The slayers runs behind the cottage and disappears from view.
- Move/Standard: Move  to T23

Init 19
Jeremiah manages to get back on his horse surprisingly fast and rides off, quickly catching up with the others.
- Free: Draw Axe
- Free: Call Horse
- Free: Attempt a Fast Mount. Ride Check = 20 (17 on the die) Success.
- Move: Ride to Y31
- Standard: Ride to Y41

Init 15
The big guy with the axe moves to support the cleric.
- Move: Move to T19
- Standard: Ready an Action.

Init 10
Turning in her saddle, Elodie summons a creature to protect the party's flank. Then, she rides off.

Init 9
With Maius steering the horse, Talmut turns in place and conjures a massive, sticky web between the ruins and the cottage, engulfing the cleric and the viking (and potentially anyone else who was close enough to get stuck). At the same time, Maius continues to press the horse for greater speed.
- Maius Move/Standard: Ride to Z44.

Gumphrey leads the way, riding off into the foothills. As you descend the hill, Gumphrey is already starting up the next one.
- Move/Standard: Ride to Y53.

Stuck in the web, the cleric struggles to get free.

Init 8
The mage and the woodsman don't even bother to run around the mass of web, realizing the chase has been lost.

END COMBAT
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:15 pm

A little ways further, Gumphrey turns back and waits for everyone else to catch up. "Wow, that was close! Where to? Back to town?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:47 pm

The Conjuror stops his searching for pursuit and turns to everyone, growling a reply, his anger clearly evident.

"Yes - with haste."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:01 pm

"Nice web, Talmut!" Elodie calls as they ride off. Once they slow and Gumphrey and Talmut speak, Elodie nods. "Yes, let's get back to town--it's been a busy morning!"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:17 am

A few hours later, in the early afternoon, the party makes it back to town.

- OOC: Okay, you're back in town. What's next? Sell loots? What else?

- OOC:  After you take care of your errands, I plan to give you a week of down time, just like I did at the end of the first adventure. You can train (i.e. level up) during that week. You can also buy gear, craft items, or whatever else you need to.
- OOC: For the second adventure, you earned 6300 xps for traps and monsters and another 3200 xps for role-playing and story. That's 9500 xps each (bringing your current total of 12,800). That brings everyone to 5th level. Go ahead and level up, but remember, you don't actually become 5th level until after the week of training.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:47 pm

"Let us go to the guildhall first, and split our spoils.  Also, I feel we must make them aware of a group of bandits waylaying adventuring parties."

Talmut will give a comprehensive and exact description of the group that attempted to ambush the party.  Does the clerk have anything to say?  What is his reaction?
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Swifthand wrote:1 Ruby (worth around 2500 gold pieces). It would be worth more, but it's cracked through the center.
"Gumphrey, can I get the ring back? I think I'd like to hang on to it for a while...also, let me take a look at the cracked ruby," Elodie says as party arrives in town. Once she has the gem, she wraps her hands around it and whispers a short incantation. 

Cast Mending.

She opens her hands and holds out the repaired gem. "Now maybe we can get more for it when we sell our loot. After we sell, I'm planning on brewing potions, again--any requests?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:18 pm

Elodie wrote:Once she has the gem, she wraps her hands around it and whispers a short incantation. 
Cast Mending.
She opens her hands and holds out the repaired gem.
When Talmut re-examines the Ruby, he estimates its value to be three times what it was before ... (7500) ... or, at least, it will be ... when it returns to its normal size.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:48 pm

Talmut wrote:Talmut will give a comprehensive and exact description of the group that attempted to ambush the party.  Does the clerk have anything to say?  What is his reaction?
The party strolls right into the Adventurers' Guild lot, past the merchants outside, past the palisade and the signs. Instead of going to the inn first, this time they head right to the general store. Inside, they find the same very old man that was working before. "Ahh, welcome back! The five members of the Band of Four return, do they? Very good. What can I do for you, today?"

Listening to Talmut's description, the old man replies. "Hmm. Very disturbing. That's against Guild rules. If you'd like to file a formal complaint, I have the forms right here." He hands Talmut a quill, a well of ink, and a sheet of parchment with an existing form written in it. The form asks Talmut for a description of the incident and the names of everyone involved (basically, the same thing he just told the old man). "Normally, a complaint like this isn't worth much, without some sort of real evidence ... but those five have had a number of complaints, already. I'll make sure the Guild Master gets it. He won't be too happy about it."

After that, he takes a look at the loot. "These are tiny." After Talmut explains why some of the the items are so small, the old man pulls a monocle from his vest pocket, and studies the collection more closely. For the three gems and the jade pendant, he offers "10,000 gold." He also offers to buy the August coins for twice their minted value. "We'll give you 2000 gold for these old coins. Normally, we would never go that high ... but I happen to be in touch with a collector who's looking for something like this."

Looking at the two scarabs, he says "Officially, we never buy cursed items ... but these two are particularly nasty. I hate the idea of something like this falling into the wrong hands. I'll give you 60,000 gold for the pair."

After studying the signet ring for a second, he raises his eyebrows and stares at you for a moment. "I'd be doing you a disservice to offer you gold for something like this. Of course, I will, if you're sure that's what you want ... but in my opinion, you'd be better off taking it to the palace and giving to the Vicereine yourself."

OOC: I did not include the following items (figuring you might want to keep them). Correct me if I'm wrong ...
- Gator skin 1 - Jeremiah
- Silver Dagger - Jeremiah
- 32 g, 23 s, 68 c - Jeremiah
- 1 Pair of old leather boots (brown) with elaborate gold and purple embroidery - Jerermiah
- Ring of Chameleon Lord - Elodie
- Crown of Chameleon Lord -Elodie
- Scepter - Talmut
- Gator skin 2 - Gumphrey
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:10 pm

OOC - Shrink Item can be turned off at the caster's command, I believe, and if that would help, I will do so...

Talmut bristles.  "SO, are you saying that not only have others complained about these brigands, but they are members of this guild?!  Please, speak their names, so I may know the devil that stalks me!"

When the clerk is out of ear shot, he turns to the others.

"One side of the palm says to lodge a complaint - let the scum burn in the light of truth, while the other says to stay our hand, and let them guess at our ignorance.  Either suits my purpose, for there will be a reckoning."

Based on the consensus, Talmut will or will not lodge a formal complaint. 

When the clerk is back in earshot...

"May I inspect the complete guild rules as well as the current role?  Our group may want to look into partnership with other groups for especially difficult jobs."

OOC 2 - I want to find out who else has lodged a complaint against the Lokiites, perhaps by looking through guild info...Can Maius make some inquiries, or Gumphry, via GatherInfo?

OOC 3 - I assume we are selling those sweet, gold spawning, evil scarabs?  If so, lets split up the loots and level up!  It looks like we are at 72,000gp/5=14,400.

OOC 4 - We are keeping the signet ring to present to the Vicereine ourselves.

When we are out of the guildhall, Talmut will stable his horse, and then check out his room, looking to make sure nothing has been disturbed, especially his and Maius' Augustine info.  Then, a meal downstairs, with the company, followed by rest and reflection (clothes cleaned, bath, ect.).  I will also attempt to identify the Scepter...actually, can the guild help with that?  If so, I do so, if not, I ask Elodie to assist me.

To Jeremiah: "Can you introduce me to the wizards you recently worked with?  I would like to speak with them of a business proposition."

To Elodie (concerning potion requests): "I have no specific need, but I defer to your recommendation, and will gladly contribute to any potions you deem necessary."  OOC - I'm totally about buying any of the good anti-curse/heal/restoration pots you get access to, and well done with the ruby!

To Gumphry: "Well done, Shadow Man! I raise a toast to you - it seems the Band of Four is now five!"

To Everyone (concerning the signet ring): "Let us see if we can gain audience with this Vicereine tomorrow and present this ill news."

To Everyone: "I now have the knowledge to create a cloak that would aid in the avoidance of traps, magic and the like, and would be happy to make one for any of you." (create Cloak of Resistance, +1 to Saves, for 500gp, can be upgraded later)

Last edited by Swifthand on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:05 am

OOC -About the horses...

Horses are a problem.  We can't put a steering wheel lock on them, and they are gonna die.  That leaves 2 possible solutions....

1. Scrolls of Phantom Steed or Mount.  We could do this, a wand would be better, but I can't make 'em...but what I'm thinking is instead..

2.  Make the horses bad arse.  Can't Elodie train and magically make our horses sweet and smart enough to defend themselves or run away and return?  I can make Horsehoes of Speed (1,500gp, +30 to move) for them...
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:38 am

Talmut wrote:Please, speak their names, so I may know the devil that stalks me!"
"Well, I'm not supposed to say ... but your description sounds like those Blackbirds, who live above the Guildhall."
Talmut wrote:"May I inspect the complete guild rules as well as the current role?"
"I have a copy of the bylaws here, but not the register. The Guildmaster doesn't shows that to anyone. But if you're looking to coordinate with another party, he's usually more than happy to arrange it, if you tell him what sort of skills or personalities you need. You can usually find him behind the bar in the main Guildhall."

OOC: For the same reasons that Jeremiah didn't want your information shared with everyone at the end of Adventure 1.
Talmut wrote:I will also attempt to identify the Scepter...actually, can the guild help with that?
Indeed.

Scepter of the Chameleon Lord (Metamagic, Extend, Normal)
Aura strong (no school); CL 17th; Weight 5 lbs.
Description: The wielder can cast up to three spells per day (6th level or lower) that are extended as though using the Extend Spell feat. The scepter weighs approximately 5 pounds and is roughly two and half feet long. It is mostly made of iron. (In a pinch, it can function as a light mace due to its hardy construction.) It has an AC 9, 10 hit points, hardness 10, and a break DC of 27. Metamagic rods hold the essence of a metamagic feat, allowing the user to apply metamagic effects to spells as they are cast. This does not change the spell slot of the altered spell. All the rods described in the PHB are use-activated (but casting spells in a threatened area still draws an attack of opportunity). A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell, but it is permissible to combine a rod with metamagic feats possessed by the rod’s wielder. In this case, only the feats possessed by the wielder adjust the spell slot of the spell being cast. Possession of a metamagic rod does not confer the associated feat on the owner, only the ability to use the given feat a specified number of times per day. 
Talmut wrote:Talmut will stable his horse, and then check out his room, looking to make sure nothing has been disturbed
Everything looks normal.
Talmut wrote:"Well done, Shadow Man! I raise a toast to you - it seems the Band of Four is now five!"
"I now have the knowledge to create a cloak that would aid in the avoidance of traps, magic and the like, and would be happy to make one for any of you."
"Thanks Talmut! That makes me feel great."
"Ooh, a special cloak! That sounds wonderful! It'll go nicely with my new gator-skin gear (when it's finished)."
Gumphrey will gladly pitch in 500 gold to obtain such a cloak.
Talmut wrote:Can Maius make some inquiries, or Gumphry, via GatherInfo?
Maius will.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:15 pm

As the old man examines the goods on the counter, Elodie looks closely at the crown that she now has in her posession. She holds it in her palm and focuses, willing it to change shape...but not alter her appearance drastically. Once she is satisfied with the new shape of the "crown", Elodie places it in her hair--it is now a jeweled butterfly barrette that catches the light frequently.

Use Crown of the Chameleon Lord, so that Elodie looks just like herself, but with a butterfly barrette.

Talmut wrote:One side of the palm says to lodge a complaint - let the scum burn in the light of truth, while the other says to stay our hand, and let them guess at our ignorance. Either suits my purpose, for there will be a reckoning.
"Aye, Talmut--if we do file a complaint, they'll probably know exactly who did it. Maybe it's best to wait and see what else we can find out about this group!"

Swifthand wrote:I assume we are selling those sweet, gold spawning, evil scarabs? If so, lets split up the loots and level up! It looks like we are at 72,000gp/5=14,400
 OOC: Absolutely--sounds great.

Talmut wrote:I have no specific need, but I defer to your recommendation, and will gladly contribute to any potions you deem necessary.
Excited to have a chance to brew up some new potions, Elodie promises to stock the group with useful potions.

Talmut wrote:Let us see if we can gain an audience with this Vicereine tomorrow and present this ill news.
"I agree, Talmut--that is an excellent plan."

Talmut wrote:I now have the knowledge to create a cloak that would aid in the avoidance of traps, magic and the like, and would be happy to make one for any of you.
"That sounds like a very useful item, and I'd love to have one." Elodie will give Talmut 500 gold pieces as soon as the party receives payment for the loot. Hearing Gumphrey's excitement, she laughs and says, "You'll be quite the stylish adventurer, Gumphrey."

After the money business is settled, Elodie is happy to return to the Jolly Toad. She wants to nap...figure out what potions she's going to brew...and eat a bowl of stew. 

OOC: Regarding our horses...our horses are combat-trained, so if I'm reading it correctly (under the Handle Animal skill), they already know the tricks attack, come, defend, down, guard, and heel. Making them a bit faster would be great, though. I will confirm with Malazek to make sure I'm interpreting what "combat-trained" means correctly, though. I haven't put any points into Handle Animal yet, but if we need to train our horses, I could probably spend some points there Smile

OOC2: Elodie will make the following potions, assuming that we are staying in town for a week. I'll adjust this list according to how long we actually stay:
Cure Moderate Wounds x4
Restoration, Lesser x2
Neutralize Poison x1
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Elodie wrote:if I'm reading it correctly (under the Handle Animal skill), they already know the tricks attack, come, defend, down, guard, and heel.
OOC: You are. That's correct.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Talmut wrote:"One side of the palm says to lodge a complaint - let the scum burn in the light of truth, while the other says to stay our hand, and let them guess at our ignorance.  Either suits my purpose, for there will be a reckoning."
"I wish not to turn them in, but I agree vengeance will be served..."

Talmut wrote:"Can you introduce me to the wizards you recently worked with?  I would like to speak with them of a business proposition."
"Yes, I planned on revisiting them again. I'll take you with me..."

Jeremiah will then take his horse to a stable and let him rest for the night.  Once that is done, he will head over to the Jolly Toad and get some food, room and some female companionship.

OOC: List of things to do.... 1. Have gator skin tailored into a belt. 2. Visit the wizards. 3. Spend loot.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:23 pm

T Brooch photo TalmutBrooch_zpse0a2eb57.png
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:27 pm

Talmut will make 4 Cloaks and 4 Cloak clasps that serve as an Amulet of Natural Armor.  The Cloak clasps give an additional +1 to AC, and can also be upgraded.  They cost 1000gp to make; I assume everyone will want them?  This will take 8 days of crafting, and Talmut will need to go find a jeweler and a cloak maker to aid him.  The Cloak clasp is as above.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:02 pm

OOC: I definitely want a cloak with a clasp, I think those are great. Also, Swifthand--heard about your idea involving Water Breathing potions, that's a really good idea, so I will have Elodie make 4 of those as well--that will put her up to 11 days of crafting. I'll put those at the top of the list, though, so they get done first...in case the group is interrupted in town.

So Elodie's potion crafting list is as follows, crafted in the following order:
Potion of Water Breathing x4
Potion of Restoration x2
Potion of Neutralize Poison x1
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds x4
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Talmut wrote:Talmut will stable his horse, and then check out his room, looking to make sure nothing has been disturbed, especially his and Maius' Augustine info.  Then, a meal downstairs, with the company, followed by rest and reflection (clothes cleaned, bath, ect.)
Elodie wrote:After the money business is settled, Elodie is happy to return to the Jolly Toad. She wants to nap...figure out what potions she's going to brew...and eat a bowl of stew. 
Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will then take his horse to a stable and let him rest for the night.  Once that is done, he will head over to the Jolly Toad and get some food, room and some female companionship.
The party reaches the Jolly Toad with no trouble and enjoys a good meal together. With their horses stabled, they get some well-deserved rest, while their clothes are being cleaned. Again, Pavol arranges for Jeremiah to spend the evening with two ladies of the night (one of the ladies from last time returns, but this time she brings her sister, instead of another professional. This is her sister's first time as a companion-for-hire).
Talmut wrote:"Let us see if we can gain audience with this Vicereine tomorrow and present this ill news."
Elodie wrote:"I agree, Talmut--that is an excellent plan."
The next day, the party takes some time to travel to the gate of the Vicereine's Palace. The guards there explain that the Vicereine is away from the city at the moment. You can go in and wait for a chance to be heard by the Chancellor OR you can come back in a week and wait for a chance to see the Vicereine herself.

- OOC: Given then nature of your errand, I assume you will wait a week for the Vicereine herself.
Talmut wrote:To Jeremiah: "Can you introduce me to the wizards you recently worked with?  I would like to speak with them of a business proposition."
Jeremiah wrote:"Yes, I planned on revisiting them again. I'll take you with me..."
Since an audience with the Vicereine is going to have to wait, Jeremiah and Talmut head over to the labs of Malabus (of the Nightless Moon) and Odion (of the Seventh Digit). Upon entry, the duo is greeted by the eccentric magi ...

"Look, look! Jeremiah has returned!"
"Indeed, he has! Oh, what a wonderful time for a visit."
"Perhaps he's ready for more tests?"
"Oh, perhaps, but the tests aren't ready for him."
"The tests aren't ready for him? What a way with phrasing, you have."
"Well, they aren't."
"I know, I know. But we do have that other thing?"
"We do?"
"We do!"
"Oh, right! And that other thing, too."
"How right you are."
"Yes, and he's brought a friend."
"Who?"
"Jeremiah."
"His friends name is Jeremiah, too? How do you know that."
"I don't."
"You don't? Then, why'd you say it?"
"I didn't."
"You did."
"I did no such thing. I said Jeremiah has brought a friend."
"And then, you said his friend's name was Jeremiah."
"Who? That guy?" (Pointing at Talmut)
"Right."
"Well, sure. His friend's name is Jeremiah ... because that's Jeremiah's friend."
"What are you talking about?"
"Huh?"
"Him?"
"Who?"
"Him!" (Pointing at Talmut)
"Oh, I don't know. Let's find out!"
"Right! You sir! What is your name?"

Last edited by Malazek on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Meanwhile, Elodie gets started on her potion brewing.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Talmut make a gracious bow.

"I am Talmut-Xispur, Son of the Fourth House of Nu'ul.  Jeremiah spoke of you, and I thought I would offer you a business proposal: I, like you, am a student of the Art, and I find myself far from home, that place your people call the Fabled Lands.  Without the support of my brethren, I come to you to offer trade, my knowledge for the like of your studies, and would be happy to entertain any trades or business you have to offer, as well."

Talmut wants to trade like level spells if they are willing, and the need is there.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:15 pm

"Oh, the Fourth House of Nu'ul?"
"You're a long a way from home."
"Yes, but never far from his allies."
"For Eru-Belu is ever close ..."
"... and Ahu, never far behind."
"When the sky roars and the sea rages ..."
"... Mighty Ersetu sleeps in Manzazu ..."
"... until the House of Nu'ul rises ..."
"... again."
"... again."
"What brings you so far from home, Talmut-Xispur?"
"He just told you."
"What?"
"He wants to trade, knowledge for knowledge."
"Study for study?"
"Yes."
"Very well, though I doubt there is much in your grimoire that we don't already know."
"True, we are well-versed in the ways of the House of Nu'ul."
"... but only to the Tisu Mudutu."
"Hmm, the Ninth Knowledge."
"Well, maybe he has more."
"He might. Let's take a look, shall we?"
"Perhaps ... perhaps ..."
"Perhaps? Perhaps what?"
"Perhaps, he could analyze the results of our studies!"
"Oh, what a wonderful idea."
"Will you? Will you?"
"Yes, will you?"
"Please, the Fourth House of Nu'ul is well-respected in this regard."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Again, Talmut bows, this time lower, in deference, the bow hiding the surprise of the conjuror's face at the two wizards' power.

"I would be grateful to for the opportunity to read the endeavors of two such learned Masters as yourselves.  I am but a servant to those who know the secrets of the Tisu Mudutu and speak with such knowledge of the Erbet Zamu (the Four Corners)."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next