Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

+2
Glitz
Malazek
6 posters

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad - Page 9 Empty Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Elodie turns towards Talmut and the chest, watching him examine what's in the chest. She also tries to peer inside, catching a glimpse of a glass vial with a green liquid that appears very similar to the one oozing out of Jeremiah's arm. "Anything special?"
"Very.  This arrow has a powerful necromantic enchantment on it, but I can not place it's properties.  Perhaps you or Maius have heard of this?"

"Do you mind if I take a closer look at that vial?"
"Not at all.  I have not been schooled in the art of elixer-craft"
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Upon waking, Talmut will study his manual, refocusing his energies of the day.

HP: 7/7 AC: 12 (16 M.A) Fort: +1, Ref: +2, Wil: +2 Init: +2 M.W. Quarterstaff: -1Atk 1d6-2
BAB: 0 Mov: 6
CMB: -2 | CMD: 10
Per: +0Spell Save DC=Spell Level+15, 16 Conj.
Spells Learned - 0: Mage Hand, Flare, Detect Magic; 1st: Mage Armor, Summon Monster 1, Summon Monster 1
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:54 pm

"Very.  This arrow has a powerful necromantic enchantment on it, but I can not place it's properties.  Perhaps you or Maius have heard of this?"
Inspecting the arrow, Elodie responds, "I might be able to figure out a little more about that arrow in the morning, after I've had a chance to rest and regain some of my strength."

"Not at all.  I have not been schooled in the art of elixer-craft"
After Talmut grants Elodie access to the potion, she examines it closely. "Greenblood oil," she says loud enough for Talmut and Jeremiah to hear (OOC: Maius too, if he's around). "It can be quite dangerous, but fortunately for Jeremiah, it's not that reliable. Made from the blood of cave fish, interestingly enough," she finishes. She places the poison back in the chest, satisfied with knowing the identity. "I suppose we can wait and divvy everything up before we leave tomorrow," she says, and then heads back down to her bedroll to get some rest before her watch.

the horses ... are hungry and thirsty. They will need to be taken out and allowed to drink and graze
Once Elodie starts to see light above the trees outside, she looks around for a suitable area for the horses to graze.

Survival check: 21 (taking 10 + 11)

If she discovers a suitable place, Elodie leads the horses there, tethering them to a nearby tree with a length of rope long enough to give them access to grass and water. Once the horses are tethered, Elodie finds a quiet spot nearby and settles down on the ground, allowing herself to enter into a peaceful trance, regaining the magic power spent during the battle yesterday. Once she feels strong enough, she uses some of her power to attempt to cure her remaining wounds. 

Cast Cure Light Wounds, regains 3 hp.

After her powers are restored and the horses are not looking so rough, she will lead them back to the cave and have another look at the arrow.

Cast Detect Magic.
Spellcraft check: 20 (14 + 6)
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:03 pm

With the horses refreshed and her connection to nature restored, Elodie returns to the cave ... but examining the arrow, she learns nothing beyond what Talmut already told her.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:41 pm

With morning breaking, Jeremiah wakes up and heads out to collect his traps. With a feeling of relief he then cleans and cooks the game he acquired through the night. Making sure to preserve whatever isn't eaten during breakfast.

Trapping Check: 8 + 7 = 15

OOC: What loot are we taking with us? Let me know and I'll add it..
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Between last night and this morning, Jeremiah's traps have captured just enough meat to feed the party for breakfast. He could preserve some and save it for later, but the party would have to supplement their breakfast with some of their long-term rations. He also has a collection of pelts, which should fetch him around 6 silver pieces, if cleaned and processed properly.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:52 pm

After taking a look at the arrow again, Elodie says to Talmut, "Well, you were definitely right about there being some enchantment of necromancy on this arrow, but I am not skilled enough to discern more than you. Perhaps, though, if you take another look at it before we depart, I can offer some assistance?"

Cast Guidance on Talmut, if he wants to look at the arrow again.

Elodie then helps Jeremiah cook breakfast, if he needs help. "If we're not in any hurry to get to our next destination, I should be able to help gather food for the rest of the meals today," Elodie offers. "Where is our next destination, anyways? Maius, do you still have that map?"

Survival check (gathering): 16 (5 + 11)
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:17 am

Maius shares the map with the group and helps Elodie with the horses. He will gladly offer to help Elodie with her bandages, or to heal if necessary.

Aid Another: Elodie Heal check, d20=9
Cure Light wounds: d8+1=8

GM Edit: OOC: I don't think anybody is injured.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:21 pm

"I wonder if we can move this boulder and see what lurks farther down this cave."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:34 pm

"I wonder if we can move this boulder and see what lurks farther down this cave."
"I'll help you try to move it, if you want," Elodie offers. "I'm curious to see what else is in here, myself."

When Maius offers to help with her bandages, Elodie smiles and says, "Thanks, but I took care of everything this morning--keep up your energy to heal again, though, if we get into trouble!"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:43 pm

"I am afraid I will be of little help moving heavy objects.  For caution's sake, I must question the wisdom of opening a path that the ogre's thought best to close off, but I must admit, my curiosity is piqued, as well."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 pm

So, with little ado, the party retrieves the crowbar and the black-and-tackle from the saddle-packs, climbs to the second chamber, and works together to move the very boulder that blocks their path. It takes some doing, but after several minutes, the boulder is slowly moved out of the way.

Strength check = 30 (Take 20 +2 Str +2 crowbar +2 B&T +4 teamwork)*
*assumes individuals took turns holding the torch

Beyond the boulder, the tunnel descends into the inky darkness. The sound of dripping water can be heard from the depths.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 pm

O.O.C. - Can I reroll my rolls to learn more about the Black Arrow now that Elodie has cast Guidance on me?

GM Edit: OOC: Page 106 says you can try once per day. So, yes, you can ... but you have to cast detect magic, first.

Before we go on, Talmut addresses Jeremiah and the chest's contents.

"Let us take it all, I say.  Put the gold and everything else in the parties' pack.  You should hold onto the Black Arrow - you are a fair shot with a bow.  But a warning.  Magic is nothing to be trifled with and Necromancy the most so.  Until we know more, I would not use it save the Most Dire of Situations."

"Let me take a look at it once more."

His mental clarity at a peak, buttressed by the Kahin's blessing, Talmut-Xisper reexamines the Black Arrow.  Speaking the Word, his eyes adjust to the magical constructs surrounding it.  Black as night.  And Powerful.  But what else is there?  Tell your story, Arrow...
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Talmut's Spellcraft roll = 28 (18 on the die +9 skill +1 Guidance)

Examining the arrow once more, this time with the unheard counsel of nature spirits, Talmut is able to divine the properties of the black arrow. This arrow was crafted to slay a specific type of a creature: a giant! Clearly, whatever monster hunter carried it here must have met his doom at the hands of the ogres, before he had a chance to use it.

GIANT-SLAYER'S BLACK ARROW (Aura: strong necromancy; CL 13th; Slot none; Weight 1/10 lb.)
When this +1 arrow strikes such a giant, the giant must make a DC 20 Fortitude save or take 50 points of damage. Note that this is a death effect (and thus death ward protects the target).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:05 pm

I share the information with everyone, eyes finally resting on Jeremiah.

"It is still best with you, yes?"

His dark eyes then glance over the now opened passage.  "Do we have rope, and more torches?"
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:24 am

Maius gives assistance to the group as they move the stone. “I have rope, but unfortunately no torches.” He retrieves his rope and adds it to the lengths being readied. “I agree with our ally in saying this may not be in our best interest. But, I too am curious.”
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:57 am

After tying a rope to the boulder, the party remembers there are torches on the horses. It's not impossible to traverse the natural tunnel on foot, but the grade is steep and the rocks are slick with moisture. So, one by one, they use the rope to descend deeper into the cave system.

The cave wanders, snaking into the earth; first to the left, then to the right, becoming less steep and then steeper again. Stalactites and stalagmites stand guard at various intervals. Every once in awhile, cold mineral-laden water drips from the ceiling onto the party members. Near the end of the rope, maybe a hundred feet later, the ground levels out and the tunnel meets with a much wider cavern; too wide, in fact, for your torches to illuminate it all.

A large chasm dominates the center of the cavern, dropping into unknown depths before you. A rocky ledge rings the chamber, however, offering a wide enough path to circumvent the drop-off. Stalactites and stalagmites are more abundant here, though many of them appear to be broken. Peering over the edge, you see crude stairs carved into the side of the chasm, leading even deeper into the earth.

Before the party has a chance to discuss the mysterious staircase, they hear deep, Jotun voices ahead. The voices do not emanate from the chasm, however, but from the shadowy darkness that dominates the cavern they are standing in. The sound of heavy, massive footsteps accompanies the voices.

"URR DATT LYS?" (Is that light?)
"JEP. MA VAERR DEM VORDOMT UYGRER." (Yup. Must be them damned ogres.)
"HVA UYGRER TRANGAR LYS FER?" (What ogres need lights for?)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:32 am

Maius quickly and quietly translates the conversation he hears for the group. “They think we might be ogres, and they know we’re here!”
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:10 pm

After Maius translates, Elodie whispers, "Quick, down the stairs! There's no way we can make it back up the way we came without being caught!"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Signaling from down the stairs, "I know, what's taking you guys so long?" He then puts water onto part of his torch making the light burn not so bright.

Stealth Check: 9
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Jeremiah hits the stairs first, with Elodie right behind him. A few steps down, he turns and uses the torch to wave the rest of party towards him. As they stumble down the uneven steps, Jeremiah partially dims his flame with a pour from his water-skin.

Dex Check to  = 17 (14 on the die) to reduce torch-fire without totally dousing it (Success).
Light radius diminishes from 30 feet to 10 feet.

OOC: Is anyone else following?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:08 am

Talmut lays down his torch and moves to follow, dark eyes glinting, motioning for Maius to go before him.  The light lays flickering in the cavern as the group retreats.

Stealth 15+2=17

If we are followed...

Once we have descended the appropriate distance, the Conjuror turns, with his staff raised high, his left hand moving out from his pouch in a spreading motion.

"ELLU"

Readying an action to cast Grease once we have past it's AoE, the first 10' of stairs, if we are followed. I will stop at at max range to cast my spell (25').

Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:20 am

After a few seconds, Talmut is sure the footsteps are getting louder, so he pauses a moment on the stairs as the rest of the party climbs lower and lower. A few seconds later, three enormous heads come into the view, opposite the chasm from where you entered. As they approach, one of them rushes over to check out the abandoned torch. The other two, however, remain in the shadows; their eyes flash with the flickering reflection of the nearby torch, as they peer into the chasm.

Giant Perception Checks: 20, 23, 8 (14, 17, 2 on the dice)

"DET DA URR!" (There they are!) one of them shouts, pointing directly at the fleeing party.

The giant by the torch approaches the edge, and then cautiously begins his way down the stairs. He is clearly too big, even for the over-sized stairs, but he begins his decent anyway. With a gesture and a word of power, Talmut conjures another pool of grease ... the already precarious giant looses his footing and topples into the chasm. Talmut immediately turns to follow the party.

Giant's Reflex Save = 15 (13 on the die)

The other giants become enraged.

"HVORFER DU!" (Why You!), they shout before disappearing into the shadows with a speed that belies their frightening size. A moment after, the party hears a loud CRACK, immediately followed by the sound of several objects crashing to the ground. Then another, just like it. Jeremiah knows they will return as soon as possible, with heavy rocks to hurl at the party.

With only a damp torch left to guide him, Jeremiah leads party down the stairs as quickly as possible. Talmut can see the party's light before him, but the light is too dim to properly illuminate the stairs right in front of him ... but somehow, he manages not to fall. 

Talmut's Climb Check = 11 (17 on the die -2 Str -4 Darkness vs. TN of 0)

OOC: Since only Talmut and Jeremiah stated they were holding torches, I assumed the other torch was safely stowed in someone's pack. Talmut's torch, however, is now at the top of the stairs; Jeremiah's torch is a tad wet ... leaving the party with one dry, unused torch for later

You reach the bottom of the stairs relatively quickly, maybe eighty feet below the cavern floor above. With the dimmed torch, it's impossible to tell exactly what's down here ... but a stout, oaken door stands close-by and to your right (near the bottom of the stairs). As soon as Jeremiah's feet hit the floor, an angered voice is heard in the shadows to your left.

"NICE TRICK, LITEN MANN. NA, DU DOR!!" (Nice trick, little man. Now, you die!!)

OOC: The giant suffered 21 damage during his fall.

Initiative is as follows ...
- Jeremiah = 15 (12 on the die)
- Fallen Giant = 14 (15 on the die)
- Elodie = 9 (8 on the die)
- Maius = 9 (7 on the die)
- Talmut = 8 (6 on the die)
- Other Giants = 7 (8 on the die)

OOC: Actions for Round 1, please. Beware: Giant's are a lot stronger than Ogres
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:49 am

Jeremiah moves to the door and see's if he can open it.

OOC: Depending on if he can open it or not, this will determine how he finishes the round.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:31 am

Maius attempts to buy the group some time and tries to stop the giant in his tracks, at least momentarily.

Standard: Cast Daze
Move: Thru door (if Jeremiah opened)
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down