Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Page 7 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 23  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 7 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:43 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:OOC: Well alex wants to do it. Obviously.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 7 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Malazek wrote:Travel will be slow through the Malbog, but it's not TOO far out of the way. Garkondrak is about half a day south, so your plan will only add about 40 miles to your journey (20 miles going south, and another 20 miles going north again).

Brackwater is 250 miles from the Imperial City. By road, that's about 10 days. Through the swamp, that might take another ten. Add to that a half day of travel in either direction, and your talking 3 weeks of travel, instead of 10 days.

But you would be off the road, so it would be harder to follow you.
With the maps, though, Straegis may be able to find a shorter route.

OOC: Straegis, give me each of the following ...
... One Nature Check at +2 and +4 (so, 1d20+Cool
... One Streetwise Check at +2 (so, 1d20+Cool
... One History Check at +2 and +2 (so, 1d20+17)
... One Intelligence Check at +2 (so, 1d20+Cool
... One Perception Check at +2 and +2 (so, 1d20+4)
(The first +2 mentioned on each line is from the map, the second bonus on each line is from the aid of your skilled companions). If you are unsatisfied with the result of either the Nature check or the Perception check, reroll it with another +4 bonus (from Davin's Crucial Advice power). I will determine which (if any) shortcuts you find, and then let you decide between them
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:46 pm

The Witch-King wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Verity addresses Mordax; “I couldn’t be sure from the road, but it is you Mordax, ye old salt! Friends, allow me to introduce Mordax, finest fish monger in all of Brackwater. His stall is across the street from my family’s shop at the market. ” Then when Mordax raises his other eyebrow, “Oh, of course,” he takes off the dragon mask, “Well met good man.” He offers an arm clasp. “Indeed, we would be glad to know what you can tell us of the Imperial muster. Me in particular I daresay, as mine own brothers and uncle have gone to join the fight, whatever the fight may be.”

"Old . . . salt" Mordax says, clasping Verity's arm.

Pausing a brief moment to size up the motley crew assembled 'afore him, Mordax replies "I have no smoked fish, only eel guts and bottom feeders to sell to the Imperial cooks."

"As to yuir kin"
he adds, "ye'd do well to recall them. I feel a storm brewing, and I'm seeing musters like I ha'en't seen in o'er a decade."

With that he lapses into brooding silence, watching the party interplay, listening with obvious intensity.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:46 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis rustles thru his pack and finds the map case he purchased from the shopkeep, after studying
a few of the maps he says, "I may have a plan. Take a look at some of these maps, if we
headed out thru the Malbog instead of just going straight to the Imperial City, we would probably have a better
chance of losing our pursuers. I know the distance will be further but I think we may be able to use these
maps to find some advantageous detours! Alex, if I'm not mistaken you are expecting a message to be
returned to you in the Malbog as well."
Straegis then motions toward the maps and says, "Please,
feel free to look at these and see if any of you agree."

Intelligence=21
Streetwise=13
Perception=17
History=19

O.O.C.: Thanks Davin, had to use that crucial advise for this one but I nailed it. Let me know if I need to reroll Perception.
Nature=26
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Swifthand wrote:I study the path that Straegis has plotted out for us, finally nodding in agreement.

"There is no way we can face a concentrated Maor assault," speaking in a low whisper, "and I will put my knowledge of the 'Bog against theirs any day. I agree - to Garkondrak, and then east to the Imperial City."

I crack a grin at Alex.

"We can even buy a cow from the Greene farm on the way. I believe you promised someone some beef."

I turn away from the maps spread out in the back of the wagon, addressing the bare-chested fisherman, voice even.

"Musters, you say? You seem to be in high demand, from the scowl on that Captain's face when you turned him down. Another Imp expansion, or external threat, in your opinion?"

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:48 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"Brilliant. Thats settled then." Alex watches the play between the fisherman and the others, even though he knocked on the door he's too busy hoping an Animal Messenger is waiting for him.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Looking at several different maps, Straegis sees some potential ways to speed up the journey and/or stay off the beaten path.

Straegis II wrote:Perception=17
A convenient Game Trail in depicted on a couple of maps. About a mile into the bog, a game trail runs parallel to the ridge, for nearly 125 miles to the east of Brackwater ... if that "line" continued another 50 miles it would meet with the storm drain (creek) that runs out of the Imperial City and for 75 miles west of it. In other words, if you travelled only a mile from the Wyver Woodland, you'd have a relatively easy path to follow for 70% of the journey.

Following this might shave 5 or more days off the journey; it's not quite as far off the Imperial March as planned and does not run anywhere near Garkondrak, but it would be somewhat off the beaten path while keeping the party within reasonable distance of supplies.

Straegis II wrote:Nature=26
After examining the topographical shape of the foothills under the Bitten Peaks and the outline of the Western Coastline, Straegis may have discovered a "relatively" dry swatch running through the swamp. If his suspicions are correct, then an area of slightly higher ground runs northeast to southwest right through the Malbog.

The party could hit this swatch roughly half a day south of Garkondrak, but then could cut up at an angle towards the Imperial Center. If the weather is good, you might be able to make the entire journey in 15 days; if not, it could add another half-day to your travels. Furthermore, the last 75 miles would be through increasingly urban areas (a mix of rural and urban, actually). But that's gonna happen any way you go.

Straegis II wrote:Intelligence=21
Of course, Straegis realizes that going to Garkondrak and then back up to the main road would still be quicker than cutting through the bog (turning the ordeal into an 11 day journey); furthermore, the party could go to Garkondrak, and then cut back up into the Eldworn half-a-day to pull off the same trick quicker ... it would add two days instead of one to the journey, but travelling through the woods is quicker than travelling through the swamp (maybe 15 days total).

Travelling down woodland trails would even quicker; to Garkondrak, then up to half-a-day into the Eldworn, and then over to the Imperial City through the forest roads might take 12 days ... the party would have similiar cover for 175 miles of the journey, and then would be in increasingly urban areas for the last 3 days (a mix of rural and urban, actually). But that's gonna happen any way you go.

Straegis II wrote:Streetwise=13
Straegis does not see any way to use the Imperial Roads to your advantage.

Straegis II wrote:History=19
Of course, another CRAZY option would be to go to Garkondrak, and then cut through the bog to the ruins of Talthanin (the supposed ruins of Anin) and then crossover to the Cairn ó Talth ... the party could travel through the Feywild into dangerous Firbolg territory, and then emerge back into the material world. Then, they'd be approaching the Imperial City from the Bitten Peaks. Even though this could expose the party to the entire Eladrin army, it would certianly throw off the White Wind and anybody else on this side. Furthermore, the entire journey would take maybe 17-20 days.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:Travelling down woodland trails would even quicker; to Garkondrak, then up to half-a-day into the Eldworn, and then over to the Imperial City through the forest roads might take 12 days ... the party would have similiar cover for 175 miles of the journey, and then would be in increasingly urban areas for the last 3 days (a mix of rural and urban, actually). But that's gonna happen any way you go.

O.O.C. - This is my vote. It's nearly the fastest route, we get to visit Garkondrak, we leave the option open to travel to the feywild if we decide that is a better route, and we approach the Imperial City from a completely different direction than we should be.

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:52 pm

The Witch-King wrote:"If it be quicker," says the fisherman, "I know the bog like tha' back o' me' hand. Jus' let mae' know whar' ye want tae' gae, and I'll lead ya' tae it."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:"Old . . . salt" Mordax says, clasping Verity's arm.
"As to yuir kin"[/color] he adds, "ye'd do well to recall them. I feel a storm brewing, and I'm seeing musters like I ha'en't seen in o'er a decade."

“All signs point to Garkondrak then. We’d be honored for your help to navigate the ‘Bog, Mordax. We can offer you an equal share of our food and any other bounty we acquire on the journey. But where we go from Garkondrak, Fate has not yet made clear. Consider, Mordax, that if you accompany us, you may well be signing up to more danger and hardship than that imperial captain had to offer.
“Too, it may be the lizardmen have an expeditious route to the Imperial city that’s been lost to men. When finally we do arrive ‘mongst the Imperials, I shall try to recall my brothers, though I’m sure that shall depend on what the Empire would have them take up arms for. What know you of this Mordax? What reason why the Empire needs a great army?
“And Straegis, when would delivery of the scroll you carry be expected? Have you any notion of what may happen if it does not arrive on time? And what sort of writing would need be hand written and delivered by a race of such great magical power as the Eladrin? Many paths lead from Garkondrak to the Imperial city, answers to these questions may help us choose the right one.
“But we should hasten. My companions fear these Maor and they may be nearing us now. If you would still join us Mordax, then welcome to our Fine-Fated band. We can hear your answers, Straegis, as we travel.”
As we head out Verity will introduce the companions to Mordax.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:After intently looking over the maps for a few minutes, Straegis says "There is a route we could
take that would be the shortest but might make it easier for us to be found. I suggest we go to
Garkondrak first and then calculate our best direction of travel. This would put us in the company of
our allies, at least momentarily, and we may be able to persuade them to interfere with anyone who
would seek to follow us through the 'bog."

Straegis turns to Mordax and says, "Sir Mordax, your expertise in the Malbog would be much
appreciated. You would owe us no oath, but if you seek adventure you will not find a better group. Ride
with us as long you wish, you will certainly find reward for your assistance."

Turning to Verity, Straegis continues "I suspect that even our fastest route will be later than the
expected arrival, which will then have all sides in a state of panic. I agree, haste is our best plan."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:53 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"Haste is the best plan. Let us take the shortest route and risk it. With Kardan aiding us by distracting them and our own skill in battle I doubt any force of Maor could best us in battle, and with the aid of the lizardmen once we reach them, at least it will be better for us to place the scroll in the right hands late than not at all."

Alex turns around and hops on the wagon.

"Lets go to the Malbog then."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Malazek wrote:OOC: Okay, it sounds like a plan has been reached, and everyone is impatient to get moving.
So, without further delay ...

Mordax the mud-crusted fisherman hops aboard the wagon and sits beside Davin, Alex, and Straegis ... Vangg and Verity take the teamster's bench, and drive the wagon toward the Greene Farm (Zephyr is tied the back of the wagon) ... making the wagon look like a vessel of pilgrimage.

At the Greene Farm, Yon agrees to sell you his cow for 75 gp.

And away you go; this time with Davin and Mordax in the teamster's bench (because both of them have claimed familiarity with the bog and hopefully can lead you easily to Garkondrak. The cow has joined Zephyr at the back of the wagon.

The wagon rolls on south, axl deep in bog-water and muck. The four horses pulling the wagon struggle with the sticky mud, but muscle on.

I need some Nature and Endurance rolls from anyone who has those skills..
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:54 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex pays for the cow.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Halcyon wrote:Nature (aiding Davin) = 12
Endurance = 25
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:55 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis offers assistance whenever he can.

Nature=21
Endurance=23undefinedundefined
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
Swifthand wrote:I turn away from the maps spread out in the back of the wagon, addressing the bare-chested fisherman, voice even.

"Musters, you say? You seem to be in high demand, from the scowl on that Captain's face when you turned him down. Another Imp expansion, or external threat, in your opinion?"

-Swift

Seemingly ignoring this question, Mordax is silent in the back of the wagon. Finally, just as the question passes from the minds of the party, he says "I'm nae' sure tha' specifics, but judgin' from tha' amoont o' provision's caemin' through this area I'd say a campaign is aboot tae roll. Like I said, I'll no be surprised should the entire Imperial army take tae tha' field, and levies besides. I'll wager thar's war a'brewin' atwixt more than one power, and I'll wager we're straight for it."

"Besides,"
he muses, "it's a sure thing I'll no find tha' local area friendly for a time."

Mordax chuckles quietly to himself, as if enjoying a private joke.

Endurance: 29 20=
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Davin keeps a watchful eye on the trail ahead and his surrounds as the shadows grow longer in the 'Bog.

Wiping the sweat that has gathered on my brow from the steamy swamp with the back of his dirty sleeve, I look over my shoulder to Vangg.

"Hey, tap that keg, Vangg," handing him my tin mug. "It's getting muggy out here." Then, to no one in particular, "Help yourselves to a pint."

Nature check = 29 (with Verity's aid)
Endurance check = 29 (natch!)
Perception check = 33

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:Nature (aiding Davin) = 12
Endurance = 25
Straegis II wrote:Straegis offers assistance whenever he can.
Nature=21
Endurance=23
Mordax wrote:Endurance 29
Working together and with the maps, you are well on your way toward Garkondrak ... along the way, you will pass one of Mordax's favorite fishing holes.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:Wiping the sweat that has gathered on my brow from the steamy swamp with the back of his dirty sleeve, I look over my shoulder to Vangg.
"Hey, tap that keg, Vangg," handing him my tin mug. "It's getting muggy out here." Then, to no one in particular, "Help yourselves to a pint."
Vangg taps it, and passes tin cups of ale around for everyone
Just as evening rolls in, and everyone is starting to get hungry ...

Davin wrote:Davin keeps a watchful eye on the trail ahead and his surrounds as the shadows grow longer in the 'Bog.
Perception check = 33
Amazingly, Davin spots something in lurking in the water up ahead, just under the abandoned bridge Mordax likes to fish from. Is it another gator? No. It's something worse. It shows no sign of having noticed you, but the odds of five horses and cow escaping it's notice seems unlikely. Initiative and Actions, Please.

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 7 AVmvFqi

NOTE: The grassy areas are Difficult Terrain (each square costs an extra square of movement to enter) ... the watery areas are Challenging Terrain (requires Athletics check DC 10 to move half-speed; if you fail by 5 or more bad things happen) ... the bridge is normal terrain.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Oi vey.

Uttering not a sound, Mordax leaps from the wagon and hurls his trusty net over the drake's head, attempting to snare the creature's snout.

OOC: Not sure how this works, trying to entangle the snout so it can't use it's breath weapon. I'll have to close first.

Initiative: 1d20=15=21
Spend Action Point: Standard action: Move to s10
Move action: Move to s16
Standard Action: Net Grab: 1d20=18+8 (-2 Called Shot) = 24
Is that right? Am I missing something?
DM EDIT: Because of Straegis, even your net attack causes 4 damage
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Davin: HP 41/41; AC 18 Fort 17 Ref 19 Will 18; Healing Surges=8/8 Action Points=0

Free Action - "BLACK DRAGON!"
Minor Action - Designate the BLACK F'N DRAGON as my Hunter's Quarry...
Move Action - Move to U9...
Standard Action - Twin Strike holy crap its a BLACK F'N DRAGON!!!!

Initiative = 26
Twin Strike 1 = 26, Twin Strike 2 = 27
TSDamage #1 = 11+4 (15), TSDamage #2 = 8+4 (12)
HQDamage = 4

Arrow Count = 157

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:20=24
Natch 20=28
Dude, something's up with Invisible Castle, it keeps returning a natch result. I don't own dice anymore . . .
Haha! You are entering "20" in your roll field, instead of "1d20" ... it's just spitting the 20 back at ya.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:57 pm

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:20=24
Natch 20=28
Dude, something's up with Invisible Castle, it keeps returning a natch result. I don't own dice anymore . . .
Haha! You are entering "20" in your roll field, instead of "1d20" ... it's just spitting the 20 back at ya.

OOC: Suck it. Laughing

Swifthand wrote:Standard Action - Twin Strike holy crap its a BLACK F'N DRAGON!!!!

OOC: lol
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Not sure how this works, trying to entangle the snout so it can't use it's breath weapon. I'll have to close first.
Standard Action: Net Grab: 1d20=18=26
OOC: Even with the AP, S12 is as far as you can get (because it's difficult terrain; eash square costs an EXTRA square of movement ... basically, that means you're moving at half speed). If you run, you can hit S15 but you'll be -5 to hit.

We'll say the Called Shot invokes a -2 to hit; therefore, your attack is still successful (assuming you threw it instead of running). Now, you need to make a Strength Check (with a +2 bonus from the net) vs. the Dragon's Reflex. Normally, the Net would "Immobilize" the target, but since you're making a called shot we'll say it traps his mouth, but not the rest of his body.

BTW, are you Marking your target with the Fighter's Combat Challenge?
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 23  Next