Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

3 posters

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future - Page 6 Empty Re: Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:06 pm

"Any last suggestions then before we come to an agreement on how to proceed?"

If no one has any objections Jeremiah will ask Talmut to make the wish.

"Talmut, I think you know the most about these types of magics, it may be wise to let you make the wish."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future - Page 6 Empty Re: Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

Post  Glitz Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:07 am

Elodie nods at Jeremiah's suggestion, and waits to see what Talmut does.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:28 am

Talmut frowns and tugs at his beard. Then, he speaks to the Genie "I wish to know more about whoever is controlling the dragons, such as how and why they are doing so."

The genie nods and Talmut's eyes cloud over for a moment. When he comes to, he turns to the others and says "Samule Roo, a powerful magic-user from another world, controls the dragons. He has three of the eight remaining orbs, but his servants search for the others. They are holed up in the abandoned fortress Elodie saw earlier. I believe it is their intention to destroy the Five Realms and rule in the aftermath. There were other details, as well, but they were blurry and confusing."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:13 pm

Elodie sighs in frustration. "Well, that confirmed some of our suspicions, but I don't feel any clearer on what we should do next... We really need to figure out how to destroy those orbs."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Talmut wrote:The genie nods and Talmut's eyes cloud over for a moment. When he comes to, he turns to the others and says "Samule Roo, a powerful magic-user from another world, controls the dragons. He has three of the eight remaining orbs, but his servants search for the others. They are holed up in the abandoned fortress Elodie saw earlier. I believe it is their intention to destroy the Five Realms and rule in the aftermath. There were other details, as well, but they were blurry and confusing."
Elodie wrote:Elodie sighs in frustration. "Well, that confirmed some of our suspicions, but I don't feel any clearer on what we should do next... We really need to figure out how to destroy those orbs."
"I must agree." Talmut says, "Since the enemy has three Orbs already, and plans to use them for nefarious purposes, it might behoove us to know how to destroy the them."

Gumphrey nods. "I think we should use another wish to find that out."

"Jeremiah, do you agree?" Miphelgara asks.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:12 pm

"If destroying the orbs is our goal, then I suppose it is necessary to know how to destroy them. Although knowing how to destroy them may not help us pry them from Samule's dead hands. I suggest we hold on to the last wish for a while though, until we are absolutely sure what the best use for it is."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:33 pm

OOC: Does that mean you want Talmut to make another wish?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:09 pm

OOC: If the general consensus of the party is to destroy the orbs; then yes make the wish.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:44 pm

After a brief discussion with the rest of the party, Talmut turns back to the Genie and wishes for visions related to the destruction of the orbs. Once again, his eyes cloud over for a moment ortwo. When he comes to, he turns to the rest of the party and says "I saw the destruction of the gold orb, as it happened a hundred years ago. The only way to destroy one of the orbs is for it to be caught in the breath of a descendant from the dragon whose soul is trapped within."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri May 01, 2015 7:09 am

"Well what should we do next?"
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Talmut suggests "Maybe there's a way we can use this information to our advantage? We now know where our enemy is and (theoretically) how to weaken his power."

"How many dragons are there?" Gumphrey ponders. "And how many of those are descended from each other?"

Miphelgara answers. "Compared to humans, there aren't many, at all. Dragons of the same color are almost certainly related, at least distantly, but that doesn't make one descended from another."

"Still ..." Gumphrey continues. "A really old dragon could be the ancestor of a much younger dragon, right?"

"Well, true, but that doesn't ..." Miphelgara starts to object.

Talmut's eyes widen. "I see what you mean Gumphrey! The souls within the orbs must be older than the orbs themselves, which are themselves incredibly ancient. Furthermore, the dragons whose souls reside within must have already been venerable when the orbs were created, or else the orbs couldn't be as powerful as they are." 

Gumphrey looks surprised. "What? Yeah. Exactly."

"What are you saying?" Miphelgara asks.

Talmut explains. "For two beings to be related, they must share a common ancestor. So, if what you say is true, then most red dragons share a common ancestor, most blue dragons share a common ancestor, and so on. Assuming the dragons within the orbs are indeed old, then it becomes much more likely than any one dragon around today is descended from that same ancestor. In fact, with each successive generation, it becomes more and more likely, as the blood of that original ancestor gets passed along to more and more descendants."

"What?" Gumphrey asks.

"Those feel like dangerous odds," Miphelgara points out, "but even if that were true, how do we get a dragon to breath on one of these orbs without getting ourselves killed?"

"I don't know." Talmut admits.

Gumphrey turns to Elodie and Jeremiah. "Any ideas?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri May 01, 2015 7:25 pm

"Maybe we can reason with them...I'm sure they don't want to be controlled by some great and powerful wizard, right? Or maybe we can just send them all little notes. 'For freedom, go fire-blast this old building.' Speaking of, does this mean that Miphelgara can destroy the orb we have?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Elodie wrote:"Speaking of, does this mean that Miphelgara can destroy the orb we have?"
"Possibly. And that might be a good way to test our suspicions."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri May 01, 2015 7:29 pm

"Well, let's get the orb and do it! What do you think, Miph?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 01, 2015 7:30 pm

Elodie wrote:"Well, let's get the orb and do it! What do you think, Miph?"
"I'm willing to try it. Jeremiah, what do you think?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sat May 02, 2015 1:51 pm

"Sure."

Jeremiah will take the orb outside the Arx, a safe distance away from anything, then let Miph try and destroy it.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon May 04, 2015 5:38 am

Jeremiah wrote:"Sure." Jeremiah will take the orb outside the Arx, a safe distance away from anything, then let Miph try and destroy it.
Talmut conjures a large wall of iron that appears between the Orb and the Arx, that way none of the troops will see what is happening and Miphelgara can (hopefully) maintain his non-dragon alter ego when this all done.

Once the Orb and the wall are set in place, Miphelgara transforms into his true self: a young bronze dragon. He opens his mouth and releases a stream of lightning toward the orb. The orb fizzles and cracks, as sparks jump form it's surface. Then, suddenly, it explodes! The force of the explosion creates a small crater, as chunks of earth and thrown wide along with scraps of the orbs.  Miphelgara is caught in the blast and wounded.

Finally, the ghostly of a colossal dragon briefly appears above the crater and then vanishes.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed May 06, 2015 7:07 am

"Well, I guess we know how to destroy them now. The next step is to figure out how to get our hands on the others. Shall we head back to the Arx and devise a plan? Now that we know the location perhaps we should assemble the troops."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu May 07, 2015 1:30 pm

"That was GREAT, Miphelgara!" Elodie cheers as the ghostly dragon disappears. "Another orb down. Maybe we could try scrying on the stronghold to see what is happening there? It might not be necessary to drag all of the troops out into the valley. At least we can try to find out, beforehand."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu May 07, 2015 9:56 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"Well, I guess we know how to destroy them now. The next step is to figure out how to get our hands on the others. Shall we head back to the Arx and devise a plan? Now that we know the location perhaps we should assemble the troops."
Elodie wrote:"That was GREAT, Miphelgara!" Elodie cheers as the ghostly dragon disappears. "Another orb down. Maybe we could try scrying on the stronghold to see what is happening there? It might not be necessary to drag all of the troops out into the valley. At least we can try to find out, beforehand."
Gumphrey asks "How long will take to move the troops that far?"

"Ten or eleven days to get HERE," Talmut says, "plus another two or three to reach the abandoned keep. I can't possibly teleport so many."

"Oh."

"Scrying seems like a good place to start," Miphelgara says.

Talmut replies. "I can try, but I suspect the keep will be protected from scrying."

"I wonder if we can trick a dragon into breathing on one of the orbs?" Gumphrey suggests.

"That might work," Miphelgara posits, "but what if the one that does the breathing is not descended from the one in the orb?"

"Then we would have a very angry dragon to deal with," Talmut says, "maybe more. Or worse."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sat May 09, 2015 10:44 pm

"Well, depending on the amount of dragons under his control I'm not sure we can take the keep in a direct assault with just us. We'll need to create a much sneakier plan."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon May 11, 2015 8:56 pm

"Talmut, if you're up to it, perhaps you can try scrying on the keep. If you are unsuccessful, I could tree-hop to the keep again...now that we know that the keep is the central location for the problems of the valley, I could scout around and pay more attention to the area directly around the keep. It's possible that I could do the same thing in wolf form, I suppose. I'd have more mobility, then."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed May 13, 2015 5:45 am

Staring into his mirror, Talmut casts a crying spell. His dart back and forth as if looking at something. "I see the castle. There is an ancient red dragon there and several smaller dragons: black, blue, green, white. I don't see the orb (or orbs), but they are probably obscured from divination attempts. There are several magic-users attending the orbs, but I do not see their leader. He must also be obscured. And there is a demon of some sort."

"Hmm. The blue dragon just flew off, all of sudden."

"Now, the adepts are talking to someone, but I can't see who."

"What else should I look at?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed May 13, 2015 8:16 pm

"How long can you scry? Can you do this long enough to discover any patterns of activity?"

...with a sarcastic tone...

"Is there a secret back door?"
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed May 13, 2015 9:22 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"How long can you scry? Can you do this long enough to discover any patterns of activity?"

...with a sarcastic tone...

"Is there a secret back door?"
"About 10 more minutes."

"Well, actually, there is a rear gate, but neither of the gates appear to be guarded."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next