Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

3 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future Empty Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

Post  Malazek Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:08 pm

At the end of the winter, Talmut returns to your suite at the Royal Palace, ready to bring everyone back to the Arx, via his teleportation magicks.

Last edited by Malazek on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future Empty Re: Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

Post  Glitz Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:12 pm

When they arrive back to the Arx, Elodie looks around and says, "So...why are we here, and not in Umbrafall? What's the plan?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future Empty Re: Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

Post  Malazek Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:16 pm

OOC: Tomorrow, I will go through Chapter 6 and quote all the posts that are related to the Orb and to the dragons that have been driving out the giants. Then, the Band of Four can decide what to do next.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Odbart's Brother wrote:"The orb is very old, forged during the August Dawn. (We) unearthed it in the Valley of Tombs, alongside relics left by strange, reptilian creatures. We believe it contains the soul of a dragon. The orb is very dangerous.
Malazek wrote:Traces of a powerful enchantment aura are also "bleeding" through the walls, suggesting that some sort of supremely powerful magic is at work, here, inside the tower.
Malazek wrote:Talmut uses his magic to look deep into the heart of the tower ... (where) rests a heavy bronze orb with mottled blue patterns etched into the surface.
Malazek wrote:Talmut ... adds his own suspicion that this orb is no ordinary trinket, but rather a powerful relic from a lost age. He believes there is a connection between this orb and the dragons amassing in Jotun Valley.
Talmut wrote:Talmut points out that he can teleport back to Umbrafall, find out what should be done, and then teleport right back. Without further discussion, he casts a spell and vanishes.

Ten minutes later, Talmut reappears ... (and) then relates to his companions what the Vicereine told him. She wants you to take the orb with you, until you return in the spring. As her representatives, she wants you to then wield it in her name. If the orb can be used to control dragons, maybe the giants will stay in the valley.
Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will ... pull out his sack and catch the orb.
Miphelgara wrote:"Odbart used the orb to keep me prisoner. Sometimes he would rip loose my scales, and sometimes he would bleed me ... but for the most part, he just kept me locked up. I think he had some sort of long-term plans. Perhaps, he intended to bend my mind and spirit to his will, but his power over me was fleeting. I think he looked forward to the day when I will be larger and more ferocious ..."
Talmut wrote:"We shall act as guardians of the orb.  Artifacts are rare, wonderous, and treacherous things.  I still believe that us finding it when dragons are massing to the north is more than just fortune.  Until it's tale plays out we will keep it safe."
Talmut wrote:Talmut asks Jeremiah for the pouch containing the orb.  "I will cast magics to hide it.", he explains. Assuming he does so, cast Nondetection
Malazek wrote:Talmut detects the prying presence of a magical sensor. Someone is scrying on you.
Malazek wrote:A man and a woman, sitting directly across from Talmut at the other table, are discussing dragons. Their conversation is a little hard to make out, but apparently a dragon was spotted over the mountains near the Boreal Headland (Jeremiah's homeland) ...
Xabu Tababa wrote:"A Dragon Orb? Really? If you intend to wield it, I must counsel you to employ caution. The Dragon Orbs are extremely powerful, but such power comes at a price; a very steep price. Moreover, there are others, and according to legend, the bearers of the Orbs are able to exert some degree of influence over one another. Considering that most of them are reportedly lost, we can only assume that somewhere, somebody has had one for a very long time. Undoubtedly, that someone has had many years to master the secrets of the Orb. So, beware."
Malazek wrote:(During his research), Jeremiah finds ... something. Apparently, there were ten such orbs, but two of them have been destroyed (the book doesn't say how such a thing could be accomplished). He uncovers a tale which says that Arkonia was attacked by dragons, shortly after Queen Leonora united the other Realms. Somehow, Leonora discovered that the dragons were being controlled by a sorcerer named Samule Roo. So, she put together a band of "dragon-slayers" and sent them to deal with the problem. Most of the dragon-slayers were slain, but not before dealing the sorcerer a mortal blow. The sorcerer's body was never recovered, but a lone slayer returned to the Narland ... with a single golden orb! (The book does not say what happened to the orb after that).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Elodie wrote:"So...why are we here, and not in Umbrafall? What's the plan?"

"Hmm.. That's a good question. We have plenty of places we can start I suppose, maybe Boreal? Either way we need to come up with a plan, I'm open to just about anything. Miphelgara, do you have any suggestions? Do you know anything of the dragon presence in Jotun Valley? Is there anything you can tell us about the Orb?"

pausing...

"Lets head up to the map room and see if we can come up with some ideas."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"Hmm.. That's a good question. We have plenty of places we can start I suppose, maybe Boreal? Either way we need to come up with a plan, I'm open to just about anything. Miphelgara, do you have any suggestions? Do you know anything of the dragon presence in Jotun Valley? Is there anything you can tell us about the Orb?"
Miphelgara (now appearing as the bronze-skinned, flaxen-haired boy he first transformed into) responds, "Not much, I'm afraid. Before I was captured by Odbart, I heard rumors that many Reds were moving into Jotun Valley. Unfortunately, I don't know why, or even if it's true."

Tugging on his beard, Talmut frowns and adds "Maybe the Danmarian soldiers stationed at the mouth of the valley have seen or heard something?"
Jeremiah wrote:"Lets head up to the map room and see if we can come up with some ideas."
"Yeah, let's do that," Gumphrey adds. "A map would help me picture whatever it is we're talking about."

In the map room, you are surprised to find Gervas changed back into his human form. Having left a pitcher of wine and some clean goblets, he nods and exits the room.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:51 pm

"Gervas, good to see you. Did you get taller?" Elodie greets Gervas as he leaves the room.

Once the group has gathered in the map room, Elodie will say, "We could try going to Boreal. It might also be worthwhile to attempt to check with a few scholars, and see if anyone has heard of this golden orb. Of course, I'm not opposed to marching right into Jotun Valley..."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Elodie wrote:"Gervas, good to see you. Did you get taller?" Elodie greets Gervas as he leaves the room.
"What? No. Oh wait, yeah, I guess I did. HEY! Is that the only thing you noticed?"
Elodie wrote:Once the group has gathered in the map room, Elodie will say, "We could try going to Boreal. It might also be worthwhile to attempt to check with a few scholars, and see if anyone has heard of this golden orb. Of course, I'm not opposed to marching right into Jotun Valley..."
Talmut frowns and says "I have consulted many texts on the subject of the Golden Orb. It's last known location was in the Narlands, but it hasn't been seen for a hundred years. I suspect it has been secured in the Royal Vaults, but it could have been lost or destroyed."
Miphelgara wrote:"Before I was captured by Odbart, I heard rumors that many Reds were moving into Jotun Valley. Unfortunately, I don't know why, or even if it's true."
Gumphrey asks, "What do you mean by 'Reds?' Red dragons?"

"Yes," Miphelgara explains. "Red Dragons. All throughout the mountains, they were abandoning their lairs and heading to Jotun Valley."

Talmut considers that and then adds, "That leads me to believe that somebody in the valley has the Red Orb."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:22 pm

"Hmm.. I wonder if there is a way we could discern who has the Red Orb."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 am

Jeremiah wrote:"Hmm.. I wonder if there is a way we could discern who has the Red Orb."
The wizard explains that "without a name or some physical representation, scrying is all but impossible." After a moment of thought, he adds "According to legend, the Orb can be used to communicate with other Orb-bearers. Unfortunately, using the orb in a way will earn the enmity of dragon-kind forever."

"Best not to risk it," Gumphrey suggests.

Miphelgara ponders, "I wonder if I could use it."

"Hmm. Of that, I'm not certain. The Orb could have other unforeseen effects, if borne by an actual dragon."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:34 pm

"I think having Miphelgara use the orb is an interesting idea...but what if you start to hate yourself, Miphelgara? That sounds like a terrible way to live. Why don't we teleport to the outpost? Once we are there, I can use a spell to tree-hop into the valley and see if I can spot anything useful."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:44 pm

"Miphelgara, I don't think it's worth risking your health especially when we're not sure what the benefits would even be. And if any of the Four use it, it would appear you will despise us. So using the Orb should only be done if it's an absolute necessity. We should explore all other avenues first. We can teleport to the outpost as Elodie suggests, then scout the area and gather as much information as we can. I would recommend, however, being ready to teleport back immediately because we are not sure the condition or whats present at the outpost."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:01 am

Elodie wrote:"Why don't we teleport to the outpost? Once we are there, I can use a spell to tree-hop into the valley and see if I can spot anything useful."
Jeremiah wrote:"... using the Orb should only be done if it's an absolute necessity ... We can teleport to the outpost as Elodie suggests, then scout the area and gather as much information as we can."
"I agree," Gumphrey says, "and I think this mission is too dangerous for us to bring along our Scribes."

Miphelgara nods in agreement.

Talmut tugs at his beard. "Very well. I should cast a spell on your satchel, yet again, to prevent it from being scryed upon. I have allowed the protection to lapse for far too long. This magic will last just over a day; so, at this time tomorrow, I should renew the spell again."

Assuming Jeremiah allows Talmut to touch his satchel, the wizard casts an extended version of Nondetection.

After that, Talmut asks, "Are we ready then?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:41 pm

Jeremiah will ready himself for transport, readying an action to attack an enemy if one is present.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 pm

"I'm ready! Let's go!" Elodie is eager to see dragons. "Phaastia, do you want to go with us? Or would you like to spend some time with Lindy?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Elodie wrote:"Phaastia, do you want to go with us? Or would you like to spend some time with Lindy?"
Phaastia thinks back, I will stay by your side until it becomes necessary to hide. Until then, maybe I can even help.
Elodie wrote:"I'm ready! Let's go!" Elodie is eager to see dragons. 
Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will ready himself for transport.
"This will require two trips," Talmut explains as he starts the spell. 

Then, the wizard instantly transports Elodie, Jeremiah, Gumphrey, and Phaastia to a far away place. You find yourselves on a cobblestone road near a wide river; a stout and sturdy stronghold stands several hundred yards before you, dwarfed by the mountain that stand behind it in the distance. A dozen or so men seem to be "on duty," positioned either atop the main tower or on the ground. Only a handful of buildings surround the tower, proof that this is no settlement; it's definitely a military outpost. Far to you're right, you see a pillar of smoking rising from one of the distant mountains and conclude that it must be Vulcan's Forge. 

And then, Talmut is gone. A moment later he reappears with Miphelgara, Stony, Egan, and Ol'Bekkie.

"Shall we approach the keep?" Gumphrey asks.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:00 am

Gumphrey wrote:"Shall we approach the keep?"

"Yes, lets approach with caution."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:46 pm

- OOC: Does that mean stealth? Or just caution?

As the party moves closer to the keep, they see that the guards are human; Danmarians, by the look of it.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:38 pm

OOC: Just cautious...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Some of the guards emerge from around the keep, apparently doing a patrol around the base. Seeing you approach, they call out "Ho there!"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:28 pm

"Hello there! We are the Band of Four, and we represent the Vicereine of Umbrafall. I am Lady Elodie of Kelbany. We wanted to do some reconnaissance in the area. Who is in charge of this stronghold?" Elodie says in a friendly tone.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:55 am

"The Band of Four? That's quite a boast. Well, you better hope you're the Band of the Four, if you intend on reconnoitering in the Valley these days. The Jarl is in charge, here: Jarl Sigmund Ulfstadson."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:42 pm

"I'm Captain Jeremiah Laqueus of Umbrafall, the MIGHTY giant slayer! We are undoubtedly the Band of Four so why don't you make haste and take us to the Jarl, soldier."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Elodie shrugs at Jeremiah's strong words. "You heard the man. I don't think you want to make an impatient giant slayer wait, right?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:19 pm

"Right away. Just follow me."

The lowly soldier leads you all into the keep, pausing only to explain your presence to the guards at the door.

Inside, you find a garrison of hardy Danmarian warriors. Standing and talking among the troops, is a large, barrel-chested man with a bushy red beard. As you enter, he turns toward you.

"Jarl Ulfstadson ..." The soldier starts to introduce you, but is interrupted.

"Jeremiah of the Giant Slayer and Elodie the Wolf Friend," the the Lord of Keep greets you, "accompanied by Gumphrey son of Humphrey and Talmut of the House of Nu'ul, as well as ..."

Ulfstadson pauses just long enough for Miphelgara to complete the sentence. "Miphelgara."

"... and Miphelgara, of course," the Jarl continues, "Ah, well, I was wondering when you lot might show up. Listen, I have nothing but respect for all of you. Truly. I welcome all who fight for the Danmarian cause, but I am honored to welcome the Band of Four. How can we help?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next