Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens

4 posters

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 9 Empty Re: Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens

Post  Malazek Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:21 pm

"Well," he explains, "in the other room, the gargoyles who were guarding the book were all staring directly at it. These ones, though, are looking away ... but why? Well, maybe there's no need to watch over it? Or maybe they're watching over the books, instead. Either way, that got me thinking ... and looking around. Then, I noticed these holes in the, um, rectums of the gargoyles. These are either very life-like statues that enjoy a bit of buggery OR those holes are gonna shoot out something dangerous ... probably as soon as someone touches that crystal."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 9 Empty Re: Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens

Post  Glitz Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Elodie snorts. "That's silly, Gumphrey!" She taps the crystal with the point of her spear.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Jeremiah will try and swivel the gargoyle to point his "hole" in another direction.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:41 pm

As soon as Elodie's spear touches the crystal, a harsh popping sound echoes through the room, followed by the sound of rushing air. Quickly, the room fills with the pungent, burning smell of poison gas. Fortunately, Jeremiah is able to rotate one of the statues so that the gas from it pours away from the party ... but three gargoyles remain, dumping their harmful toxins into the room.

OOC: Fortitude Saves (vs DC 18). Everyone gets a +2 bonus, thanks to Jeremiah's quick thinking.
- Talmut = 11 (Fail); Suffer 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and 3 Con Damage (Temporary)
- Jeremiah = 28 (Success); NO EFFECT
- Elodie = 12 (Fail); Suffer 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and 3 Con Damage (Temporary)
- Gumphrey = 14 (Fail); Suffer 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and 3 Con Damage (Temporary)
- OOC: Elodie can cure the Con Damage, but not the Con Drain.

After breathing the gas, Elodie begins to feel nauseated and tired. Looking around and her companions, she is fairly certain that Talmut and Gumphrey are feeling the same way. Worst yet, she knows the poison hasn't run its course, and it'll get worse before it gets better ... and she's not sure this is something she can cure.

OOC: New Fort saves will be needed every round until the poison runs its course, so bear that in mind when you post your actions. Jeremiah has manage to avoid breathing in more than his system can handle (i.e. he won't need to roll saves with everyone else).

OOC: Don't forget that for every 2 points of con you lose, you also lose 7 hit points (so, you're down 14 hit points, so far).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:34 am

Jeremiah will immediately hold his breathe while wrapping his scarf around his mouth. He will then begin to plug the holes in the gargoyles with pieces of cloth from his explorers outfit which contains his old cloak and the hides or pelts from his latest trappings.

OOC: Do I need a crafting roll of some sort for filling the holes?

GM Edit: Actually, no roll will be necessary. (If a roll WAS necessary, it would fall under Disable Device, which is "trained only.")

OOC2: Endurance feat will help with the checks for suffocation. Mal, there are specific rules for holding breathe while surrounded in poisonous gas and combined with holding breathe underwater, it seems you can hold your breathe 2 rounds per point of con. Let me know if I am interpreting these rules wrong.

GM Edit: That sounds correct.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:31 am

"Maybe you were right, Gumphrey..." Elodie wheezes as she pats her pockets, finally pulling out a small vial. She pulls the cork out and downs the contents.

Take Potion of Neutralize Poison.

After swallowing her potion, Elodie pulls out her wand and taps Gumphrey with it, hoping to help him regain some of his lost strength.

Use Wand of Cure Serious Wounds on Gumphrey, cures 19 HP.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:02 pm

In the time it takes Jeremiah to get his scarf around his mouth, Elodie has taken a potion. Talmut and Gumphrey are clearly getting worse.

- OOC: Elodie will no longer need to make Saves against this poison.
- OOC: Second Fortitude Saves (vs DC 18) ...
- Talmut's Second Fort Save = 25 (Success)
- Gumphrey's Second Fort Save = 13 (Fail); Suffer Another 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and another 1 Con Damage (Temporary)

By the time Jeremiah gets the hole plugged on the first gargoyle, Gumphrey has also sucked down a potion.
Meanwhile, Elodie taps Gumphrey with her wand.

- OOC: Gumphrey used his Lesser Restoration Potion and recovers 3 points of Con Damage.
- OOC: Talmut is waiting, to see if he suffers any more Con loss before drinking his.
- OOC: Elodie heals Gumphrey, so he is now down only 7 permanent hit points.

OOC: Doing this round-by-round, sort of, so actions can be properly synced with the necessary Fort saves (there are more to come).
- What is Elodie doing next?
- I assume Jeremiah will move to the second gargoyle when he is finished with the first.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:14 pm

Elodie pulls out a piece of parchment and moves to one of the gargoyles that Jeremiah has not attended to, and attempts to stuff one of the offending holes.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:10 pm

OOC: Jeremiah will rinse and repeat his actions until all the holes are plugged.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:56 pm

As Jeremiah moves to plug a another hole, Elodie moves to assist. Between the two of them, they get the second and third holes plugged.
Gumphrey pulls out his "special" tools and attempts to disable to the crystal trap.

- Talmut's Third Fort Save = 12 (Fail); Suffer Another 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and another 1 Con Damage (Temporary)
- Gumphrey's Third Fort Save = 11 (Fail); Suffer Another 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and another 3 Con Damage (Temporary)
- Gumphrey's Disable Device Roll is 38.

Finally, Talmut sucks down his potion.

- Talmut's potion restores 3 points of temporary con damage.
- Talmut is now down 2 points of Con drain (Perm) and 1 point of Con damage (Temp). His Max HPs is lowered by 14, but he is uninjured.
- Gumphrey is now down 3 points of Con Drain (Perm) and 3 points of Con damage (Temp). His Max HPs is lowered by 21, but he is uninjured.

With just a single hole remaining unplugged, Jeremiah moves to plug that, as well.
At the same time, Gumphrey finishes disabling the trap, but is too worn-out to say anything about it.

- Talmut's Fourth Fort Save = 11 (Fail); Suffer Another 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and another 3 Con Damage (Temporary)
- Talmut is now down 3 points of Con drain (Perm) and 4 point of Con damage (Temp). His Max HPs is now 13, but he is uninjured.
- Gumphrey's Fourth Fort Save = 10 (Fail); Suffer Another 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and another 3 Con Damage (Temporary)
- Gumphrey is now down 4 points of Con Drain (Perm) and 6 points of Con damage (Temp). His Max HPs is only 7, but he is uninjured.
- Note, too, that Gumphrey's Con Score is only a 2, at the moment. Any more Con damage could kill him.
- What is Elodie doing?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:32 pm

"Gumphrey, take this NOW." Elodie thrusts a small vial into his hands. If he seems too weak to take the potion on his own, Elodie will force-feed it to him.

Potion of Lesser Restoration to Gumphrey.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:52 am

Gumphrey takes the potion and immediately looks a little better ... but, still, like he die at any moment. Talmut is looking pretty bad, as well.

- Talmut's Fifth Fort Save = 13 (Fail); Suffer Another 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and another 1 Con Damage (Temporary)
- Talmut is now down 4 points of Con drain (Perm) and 5 point of Con damage (Temp).
- His Con Score is now down to 3. He, too, could die any second. His Max HPs is now 7, though he is uninjured.

- After taking the potion, Gumphrey gains 2 Con back.
- Gumphrey's Fifth Fort Save = 3 (Fail); Suffer Another 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and another 2 Con Damage (Temporary)
- Gumphrey is now down 5 points of Con Drain (Perm) and 6 points of Con damage (Temp).
- His Con Score is now down to 1. His Max HPs is still 7.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:56 am

Elodie pulls out two more vials, pushing them towards Gumphrey and Talmut. "These are the last two that I have..."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:57 pm

Gumphrey and Talmut quaff the potions. Talmut immediately seems a little better, but Gumphrey falls to the floor dead. Dead.

- After taking the potion, Talmut gains 2 Con back.
- Talmut's Sixth Fort Save = 22 (Success)
- Talmut is now down 4 points of Con drain (Perm) and 3 point of Con damage (Temp).
- His Con Score is now down to 5 & his Max HPs is now 13 ... but he's done making Saves.

- After taking the potion, Gumphrey gains 2 Con back.
- Gumphrey's Sixth Fort Save = 8 (Fail); Suffer Another 1 Con Drain (Permanent) and another 2 Con Damage (Temporary)
- Gumphrey is now down 6 points of Con Drain (Perm) and 8 points of Con damage (Temp).
- HE IS DEAD.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm

"No, no, no, Gumphrey! You weren't supposed to die!" Elodie collapses beside Gumphrey and puts her head on his chest, listening for a heartbeat. Once she's sure he's dead, she sits up. "Well, I can fix this." Elodie searches for one of Gumphrey's non-magical daggers and then slices one of his fingers off. "As long as we can get back to town in the next week, I can bring him back!"

After she tucks Gumphrey's finger into a pocket, Elodie stands. "I think we should try to head back immediately. Talmut and I need care that is beyond my ability, and I need to gather a few items before I can bring Gumphrey back. Once we're out of this room, I'd like to check something, though."

If Jeremiah and Talmut are okay with leaving, Elodie will wait until everyone is out of the room, and then summon a fire elemental to attempt to grab the crystal.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:26 pm

"OK, you guys go ahead back. I'll guard the dungeon and keep an eye out for the cat, just leave me one of the assistants. I'm not going to push forward though, I will wait for your return. Lets drag Gumphrey's body back to the entrance and remove his possessions. We will need to bury this body at some point.."

Jeremiah will also search the rest of the library looking for any books or items that look unique.

"I wonder if there are anymore journals lying around this place."

Last edited by Alpha Omega on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Talmut agrees.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Searching the library, Jeremiah finds two interesting books. The first seems to be an inventory of all the bodies buried in the crypt. The second one appears to be a catalog of parts and procedures needed to make something called "the Butler."

Elodie's fire elemental appears and eagerly follows orders. Once everyone is out of the room, the fiery spirit reaches for the crystal and picks it up without problem ... it appears Gumphrey did manage to disable the trap, just seconds before his demise.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Jeremiah will hand both of the books to Talmut as the rest of the party leaves the dungeon.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:16 am

Before heading back to the surface, Elodie calls to the fire elemental and asks for the crystal. She will take a moment to inspect it before leaving the dungeon.

Spellcraft check, +10.

Elodie begins the short trek back up to the makeshift camp. Upon arriving, she gives a brief explanation of what happened below to Flint and Lindy. "But no worries, we can bring Gumphrey back! We just need to get back to down. Flint, Jeremiah is still in the dungeon and needs your assistance to continue exploring. Lindy, I'll need you to be alert as we head back; Talmut and I are not in top condition."

Unless anyone objects, Elodie will help break camp and pack up the horses to prepare for the trip back to town.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:36 am

After the elemental hands over the crystal, Talmut gladly takes the journals from Jeremiah. Then, he follows Elodie to the surface where he condones her suggested course of action and helps break down is part of the camp.

After examining the crystal, Elodie determines that it has a permanent "light" spell cast upon it. A command word is used to turn the light on and off, but even when deactivated the crystal is unnaturally reflective. After playing it for a minute or two, she determines that the command word is "Gealain" (the Druidic word for "light").

A short while later, Elodie and Talmut are on the road, with Lindy to guard them.

Flint climbs down to assist Jeremiah's search for Mittens.

A cold fog obscures the path back to town, but the trio of adventurers manage to find their way back to the main road. Through the hills and forests, the ride back is mostly uneventful, even if it is colder and darker than you'd prefer ... as the party approaches Umbrafall, however, a strange sight meets their eyes: a small army has gathered in the fields just north of the city.

Among the ranks of fighting men and mounts, a myriad of tents and banners and campfires litter the ground. Many of the banners sport the flag of Umbrafall itself, but a few display other insignia (most likely the banners of the Vicereine's vassals).

Back in the sandy-floored underground complex, Flint joins Jeremiah in the room where the Golems were defeated. He looks pleased to a part of the exploration. "So, where to, Master Laqueus?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:24 pm

"I don't think it wise to just explore here with the two of us, we will make camp down here Flint while we wait for the others to return. I just wish to keep an eye out for mittens, or the sandal wearing explorer."

If Jeremiah thinks a fire is permitting, meaning properly vent-able out the entrance to the dungeon, he will go ahead and create a small one. He will make "rounds" only in the areas that have been explored, with Flint keeping an eye on the entrance at all times.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:24 pm

"Do you know anything about what could be going on, Lindy?" Elodie asks as they approach the city. "Probably should wear our badges on the way in..." Elodie searches for hers and pins it on to the front of her tunic. 

If no one stops the group, Elodie will lead everyone to the Jolly Toad. Once she has the attention of the barkeep, she will inquire about the situation outside.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Jeremiah wrote:If Jeremiah thinks a fire is permitting, meaning properly vent-able out the entrance to the dungeon, he will go ahead and create a small one. He will make "rounds" only in the areas that have been explored, with Flint keeping an eye on the entrance at all times.
OOC: It is safely vent-able, but which room is he building the fire in?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Elodie wrote:"Do you know anything about what could be going on, Lindy?" Elodie asks as they approach the city. "Probably should wear our badges on the way in..." Elodie searches for hers and pins it on to the front of her tunic. 
"No, I don't." Lindy answers.

Talmut wears his pin, as well.

About half-way through the encampments, before they reach the city gate, they hear shouting. "Elodie! Lindy! Talmut!"

Turning, they see Halvar running to catch-up with them. "After we reported the presence of giants in the area, the vicereine sent out a tea of scouts ... but they never returned!! So, we were right! Now, they're organizing a defensive army, in case the scouts do come back! Or, that's what we've been told."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next