Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 18 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:49 am

Malazek wrote:OOC: Awesome post, Halcyon.

Juugug nods and pats Verity on the shoulder. He grabs a few morsels from his brother's pantry, and gets ready for his watch.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

The sound of so many Goblins just a few yards away make it difficult to sleep, but nonetheless, morning comes swiftly. Having last watch, Alex and Mordax are already up.

The party gives the Goblin's dwelling a quick search before setting out, and they find the "backroom" is bigger than the front of the structure would imply ... in fact, it seems Azzy and Kersh slept comfortably in the hay-filled stable that's attached to Gujoy's home.

The stable itself houses four of Gujoy's Rothé, as well as the rickety wagon he uses as a hearse.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 18 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: Awesome post, Halcyon.
I concur.

"A wagon!" Davin's eyes glaze over as he crouches and begins to inspect the wagon.

"Not the best I've seen, but not the worst, either. Juugug - since your brother is in no position to make a good business decision, I'll leave it to you. Do you think he would sell the wagon and team? It would certainly speed our journey. We can leave him a fair price for it and our stay...what say you?"

O.O.C. - I assume a wagon and team would speed our journey, correct? Is the wagon in good enough repair to bother with? If no, ignore the preceding post. Is there feed for the Rothe? Is it a covered wagon? How many of us will it hold? What would be a fair price for the wagon and team?

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg awakes after the commotion and comprehends only 1/4 of what has been said. He looks to Juugug.

"Me sayeth dat we should pray o'er 'ims an' blesseth 'im unto da Queen an' what nots . . . den us should endeth 'is life. What say ye brother? 'e be not ye brother nigh mores . . . send 'im to our Lady?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:O.O.C. - I assume a wagon and team would speed our journey, correct? Is the wagon in good enough repair to bother with? Is there feed for the Rothe? Is it a covered wagon? How many of us will it hold? What would be a fair price for the wagon and team?
Correct. Yes it is. There are different types of feed lying around; maybe enough for a week. It's not covered, but there are side-rails (and the wagon usually carries the dead). Replacing the team and wagon and feed would cost him around 3000; but these aren't in the best condition, and might be worth only half that.

There's room for two to sit upfront and six to sit comfortably in back; that's everyone BUT Azzy and Kersh. You could probably fit everyone in back if you piled them up like bodies, but it would be uncomfortable and a little personal ... but it would work.

Davin wrote:"since your brother is in no position to make a good business decision, I'll leave it to you. Do you think he would sell the wagon and team? It would certainly speed our journey. We can leave him a fair price for it and our stay...what say you?"
"Me formereth brother be in no position to haggle; leaveth 'im a pittance an' let's be done wit' dis place."

Vangg wrote:"Me sayeth dat we should pray o'er 'ims an' blesseth 'im unto da Queen an' what nots . . . den us should endeth 'is life. What say ye brother? 'e be not ye brother nigh mores . . . send 'im to our Lady?"
Juugug scratches his long goblin ear and says, "'e not be me brother nigh mores, an da Queen nigh be an abhor'd a deaths; but nor do She taketh glory from da cold murder. We tryeth ta save da Snorbi Dwarf fer da same reason, din't we?"

Taalgarnuk adds, "Mmm, an' we sshoulda bekilled 'im, too; 'is fate turneth out da worsse fer we din't."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:50 am

Halcyon wrote:"For my part I defer to Juugug's judgement in his former brother's fate, whatever that judgement may be.
"Besides,"
thumbing towards Davin and Straegis, "these who would pay our would-be murderer a fair price for his wagon would likely find killing him distasteful."
"Juugug, Tulgaarlnuk, how familiar are you with the surrounding caves?
"Because if you're not, perhaps Gujoy can buy his life for providing not just a wagon, but a map. Nikhumba's map is a fine one, but he drew it from memory. We are far from the area he was familiar with, and it may not show the best way to the dwarf lands. In fact, it doesn't specifically show the dwarf lands at all.
"Still, I too dislike the notion of leaving him bound to be found at any time. We could still be in sight of this shack when the angry mob begins to form.
"Tulgaarnuk, have you any sleeping draughts or the like? Something that would keep him under for a good while?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"Juugug, Tulgaarlnuk, how familiar are you with the surrounding caves?"
"Notss I. Me formered home be an four 'r five dayss from diss placce," says Taalgarnuk. Juugug responds, "I knoweth dese tunnelin's from me childrenhood, but many years be an passed since den. Mayhaps dey've changed, mayhaps dey've not. Da Dwarfs stench be driftin' down ta us soon, if dey still be up dis road."

Verity wrote:"Tulgaarnuk, have you any sleeping draughts or the like? Something that would keep him under for a good while?"
He shakes his head No, and then looks around the room. "Mayhaps we can fill 'im fulls o' 'is own draughts?" Then, Taalgarnuk races to the kitchen, clearly searching for something. He comes back moments later with two large jugs of Goblinwine.

"Gib him ONE," Kersh smiles, "I take other."

Juugug nods his consent.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:"Me nigh wanton o' murders an' da likes . . . me nigh dat way. Me foresee'eth 'im acausin' great strifes fer us - mayhap tie 'im ups as wells?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:51 am

Halcyon wrote:"That settles it then. We leave him here bound, gagged and schnockered. In time he'll sleep it off and...we'll leave a knife nearby for him to cut his bonds. Better than leaving the door unlocked for someone to find him, that could happen moments after we leave.
"But first the map."

Verity slaps Gujoy awake if he's still knocked out.
"But for your brothers grace you would be dead. By way of thanks you will create a map for us of the passages to the North."He'll untie Gujoy's hands temporarily as he asks, "Straegis, I trust you don't mind?" He gives the goblin the Eladrin's ritual-writing materials with which to draw the map.
"Be quick about it, and accurate."
Verity will stand guard over the Goblin while the others prepare the wagon, close the window, set the latches on the doors, et cetera.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:"... mayhap tie 'im ups as wells?"
OOC: I think he's already tied.

Davin wrote:Davin securely ties Gujoy to his cot and then gags him
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:Verity slaps Gujoy awake if he's still knocked out. "But for your brothers grace you would be dead. By way of thanks you will create a map for us of the passages to the North."He'll untie Gujoy's hands temporarily
Gujoy produces the best map he knows how.

Verity wrote:"Straegis, I trust you don't mind?" He gives the goblin the Eladrin's ritual-writing materials with which to draw the map. "Be quick about it, and accurate."
OOC: Wow, that would be an expensive map.
Straegis suggests looking around for cheaper writing materials. In fact, he easily finds some in the stained, wobbly, musty night-table beside Gujoy's bed.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:After Verity has his say, Davin leans over the bound Goblin.

"I am going to ungag you for a moment and ask a question. Understand that, if you scream for help, I won't hesitate to kill you - I am sure we will have trouble getting out of here, but you won't be alive to see that, nor spend the 20 platinum pieces that we are going to pay you for your wagon and your trouble. Do you understand?"

If Gujoy acquiesces, Davin will ungag him.

"Where do you want me to hide you payment, Gujoy? I would hate for a fellow Goblin to rob you while you are bound."

Intimidate=24 (natchenstein!)

Davin will regag the Goblin and then place the 20 plat where Gujoy directs him. Then the Ranger gets the wagon ready to go.

"Let's be off! HYAA HYAA!"

Nature=20

O.O.C. - That is 2000 gp for a 1500 gp wagon and team, and something extra to hopefully discourage pursuit and billeting us for the night.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity makes sure Gujoy drinks himself silly and then drinks some more. He'll leave a dull knife stuck in the goblin's bedpost where Gujoy, now bound and gagged again, can cut himself free eventually.
After making sure the hearse driver is unconscious, he hops on the wagon.
He asks Tully to insure the bedroom doors, front door and stable doors are securely locked when they depart.

As the party leaves Verity breaks into song.

"On the road again
Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
We're the best of friends
Insisting that the world be turnin' our way
And our way
Is on the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again"

OCC: Yeah, just made that up. Not bad eh? I think it could be a hit.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:52 am

Malazek wrote:Wait, so ... are people piled in like corpses? Or standing and squished in like sardines? Or is someone not on the wagon? ... If they are "piled in," are they pretending to be dead? Or just lying comfortably? ... And who's upfront with Davin?

These questions need to be answered before I can proceed. (I need to know what the Goblin village is "looking at" as you roll out).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax looks to Davin and Straegis, quietly tapping his dirk with eyebrow quirked, leaving the obvious question unasked.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Juugug, ride with Davin. Chant a benediction for the dead and dying while we ride. I feel if we lie as though dead and infirm, we'll attract less attention."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Posing as a hearse, the party rolls away out of Gujoy's stable, and into the side street that runs along th side of his hovel (opposite the alley); a couple quick turns, and they're back on the road.

Verity's singing draws the attention of everyone, as suspicious glares are shot in your direction. Many marketplace's patrons look up when they hear it, casting suspicious glares in your direction. Some follow and begin to mutter. But nobody stops the you.

Bluffs: 24, 21, 21, 6, 27, 12

Evetually, the knight's song ends, and wagon ride continues on less conspicuously. It takes a few hours to roll through the rest of the market; but at the end of the day, the party is still deep in Goblin territory (the streets are less packed, and the doors further from one another; but it's clear this party of the Underdark belongs to the Goblins).

As they roll, Verity examines Gujoy's map. It's actual less detailed that Nikhumba's, and the prorportions are somewhat off, but it does offer one significant detail: the unlabelled stretch of tunnel that awaits you beyond Ghobling territory is apparently called "The Battlefield."

Davin drives a few extra hours, hoping to shorten the journey. Those suitably dressed are able to take turns standing, so that those who must be "dead" can lay comfortable. (Taalgarnuk, Verity, and Vangg are all clergy of the dead; their presence would not spoil this ruse. The same could be said of Azrealbenzariel the Deathangel and Alex the "Necromancer." Mordax, Straegis, and Kersh are the only few who cannot stand without looking suspicious).

This night, the party is unable to find a suitable dead-end; every nook in this place is occupied by Goblins ... and the Rothé and wagon will not fit in the space created by Azzy's knife. Ultimately, they settle on a compromise: they pull off to the side of the road where a hewn stone wall can be clearly seen. Azzy carves a door so half the party can sleep inside, the other half sleep on the wagon (so that nobody thinks it's abandoned and steals it). Fortunately, those inside the knife's extradimensional space can see out, so those in the wagon aren't vulnerable; if they were to get attacked, those in the space could run out and and help.

But none of that happens. Straegis is able to keep watch (from inside the space) with the rotating company of his fellows; Azzy stands watch from the outside, casting a menacing countenance over the "death wagon." Morning comes too swiftly.

The next morning they set out, using the same tactic. Nobody relishes the idea of laying "dead" for another day, but they do so, anyway. Their limbs are weary and their joints achy, but none of that compares with the torment of mind-numbing boredom. But the wagon rolls on.

By the end of the day, Melor the 8th, a battlemented wall (in serious ruin) marks the end of the Goblin Road. Goblin sentries stand watch near and on the wall, but the pallisade is open, and the sentries make no motion to stop the wagon.

Another battlemented wall (this one higher and in better repair) stands directly across the street from this wall, it's heavy steel gate blocking further travel along this road. Between the two walls is a crossroads; another major road runs perpendicular to this one. Subterranean travelers move along all three open roads, but none move through the gate.

But according to both maps, this is the way to go.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:53 am

Swifthand wrote:Can I see anyone on or in the wall? Davin will use the Sight of Hemingr.

Perception=30

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Nobody. It appears deserted.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Juugug, what's that wall about? Might the key Davin... procured open it?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"I'll go check it out."

Davin will sneak up to the wall, slinking from shadow to shadow to more closely inspect the wall and gate. The Ranger is looking for any information, but specifically looking for a place to scale the wall unseen.

Stealth=22
Perception=25

Once a spot is found, Davin will climb up, using his Climbing Kit.

Athletics=17

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:54 am

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"Juugug, what's that wall about?"
"It be da ol' Dwarfs wall; 'tis rarely guarded."

Davin wrote:"I'll go check it out." Davin will sneak up to the wall, slinking from shadow to shadow to more closely inspect the wall and gate. The Ranger is looking for any information, but specifically looking for a place to scale the wall unseen.
Stealth=22
Perception=25
It seems more-or-less abandoned. The wall is uncannily smooth, so climbing it should be difficult. Davin takes a moment to find the best spot, which turns out to be the natural hewn rock next to the constructed wall.

Davin wrote:Once a spot is found, Davin will climb up, using his Climbing Kit.
Athletics=17
Davin climbs the cavern wall, and clambers onto the dwarven battlements. He walks atop the thick stone wall (with he natural earthen cieling of the tunnel only a few feet above his head) until he comes to a wide ramp that leads down behind the otherside of the wall. At the foot of the ramp, a solid steel door leads into the thick wall; the winch for the gate must in there somewhere. After searching for traps, he checks the handle and finds the door locked.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:54 am

Swifthand wrote:Davin pulls out his picks and unlocks the door.

Take 10 on Thievery for a 30.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:55 am

Malazek wrote:Easily done. Davin peers through the door and spys a tiny room whose sole occupant is a powerful winch; chains, wound around the spool at one end, ascend through grommets in the cieling at the other ends. This must be it.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Davin moves back to the crenelated top of the wall and then over to the edge. Once there, he attempts to mimic the call of the Spotted Devil-tailed Warbler, a bird indigenous to the 'Bog and know for it's shrieking song - sure to get the attention of his companions who frequented the area.

Take 10 on Nature for a 27.

Once Davin has the others attention, he motions them towards the gate, and then descends to the crank once again, pitting his Strength versus the gate's mechanism.

Strength=24

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:As the gate slowly rises, Juugug urges the Rothé the pull the wagon through. Noticing the gate suddenly rise, the underdark crowd is slow to react; stunned by the audacity of whoever would ally themselves with Dwarves!

Just as the wagon rolls through, some nearby Bugbears begin running at the wagon, yelling something vile and slang in the Goblintongue. Taalgarnuk responds by barking something unintelligible, but which sounds like a mixture of Goblin and Draconic and Sharptongue. The Bugbears stop dead in their tracks, as they try to figure out what he said.

Just as they do, the gate slams shut behind the wagon, which is now on it's way behind the Dwarven line of scrimmage. The heroes roll on for a few minutesm looking for a place to stop for the night; but NO ONE is here! This stretch of the Underdark is a proverbial ghost town.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next