Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 12 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:05 am

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:O.O.C. - Can I keep my Stealth and Perception checks I didn't use before?
Stealth=34
Perception=34
OOC: Sure.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 12 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:05 am

Malazek wrote:Okay, well, now that I know the party is pressing on, I'll go ahead and post everyone else's rolls ...

VERITY: Endurance 20, (15, 17)
JUUGUG: Endurance 7, (15, 14)
TAALGARNUK: Endurance 26, (26, 11) [Dual Crits]
KERSH: 20, (15, 28)
AZZY: 34, (33, 34)
HOUND: 5, (14, 13)

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Despite the exhaustion they must feel after walking all day, the heroes decide that this crypt is not the best place to rest, and they press on ... travelling deeper into the halls of burial. But it's exhausting.

After the first Endurance check ...
Straegis, Alex, Hound, and Juugug all lose a Healing Surge (Exhaustion)

Three hours later, the party has passed thousands of corpse-filled crypts (with an undead soul in each, by Davin's reckoning) and the tunnel dumps the heroes into a spacious cylindrical chapel; a hundred feet across, and impossibly high. Faded tapestries and ancient flags hang from the blue-gray walls; and similiar tunnels head off in the cardinal directions. Between every pair of halls, stands a 50 foot collosus (a giant statue) overlooking the dias in the center of the room. And a narrow winding staircase wraps the circumference of the room, climbing up beyond even Davin's field of vision.

The dias itself is equally grand, standing easily 20 feet above the floor, and decorated with bas relief that depicts the same motif as the iron door so many miles back. No obvious means of getting onto the dias presents itself, but a heavy throne sits right in the middle it, etched with gold and decorated with silver-plated skulls. A kingly corpse sits rigidly in the grand seat, its attire even more luxurious than it's surroundings. The dead kings hand rests upon a jewel-studded scepter; the other hand dangles as if it too once rested upon some mighty instrument that has since been removed. (The Sight of Hemingr has long since worn off, but the physical presence of an imperial spectre is undeniable; everyone can feel the dead king's soul resting atop the dias).

(Perception 34: Davin inspects the cadaver from the door, and notices that it's wearing a sword belt, as well as swordsman's gauntlets, but it has no weapon).

The weight of their morbid journey suddenly takes it's toll, and the heroes begin to question how've they've even made it this far.

Second Endurance checks ...
Vangg, Verity, Juugug, Kersh, and Hound all lose a Healing Surge (Exhaustion)
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Reactions, anyone?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:06 am

magicspellz12 wrote:OOC: I have *ONE* healing surge left (and I'll respond to this in two days, got a busy day ahead tomorrow: clinics and patients, lectures, more lectures, and then I'm seeing the premier of wolverine!)

DM EDIT: Okay, have fun ... but we can't leave the game "on hold" for two days. If the party is still here, then fine; otherwise, just respond to whatever is happening at the moment.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax softly says "Aye, an' will ye' no return tha' swaird tae its rightful owner then, laddie?"
Looking straight at Straegis, he waits for an answer.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:After Mordax's suggestion, Straegis studies the room intently before he lowers his head, unsheathes the sword he liked so much and quietly says to his allies. "I guess after my poor showing back there, this will hafta be returned, eh?" He looks to all of his friends, then to the king's high perched resting place, then back to the sword, and he calls aloud for the undead to hear "We've come to return your property to its rightful home!" Quietly again, he says to his allies "Any ideas on how to get up there?"

History: 1d20=5+16=21
History: 1d20=7+16=23
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:Straegis studies the room intently before he lowers his head, unsheathes the sword he liked so much and quietly says to his allies. ... "We've come to return your property to its rightful home!"
History: 21
It seems to Straegis that the old king stirs, but when looks back everything appears just as it did before.

Verity wrote:Religion: 23
Verity remembers that many ghosts are bound to this world because of unfinished business; perhaos these apparitions are affected similiarly? If so, this sword might constitute such business; but perhaps not. At any rate, these spirits did mention that they didn't want their stuff touched; so it stands to reason that they'd want this sword returned to them.

Straegis wrote:Quietly again, he says to his allies "Any ideas on how to get up there?"
History: 23
Straegis looks around and tries to remember the old ruins that were constructed around the same Age as Rex Qalibar's reign, and remembers that many underwent strange construction processes that confound even modern architects; and then it occurs to him that he could feystep up there.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:07 am

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: LMAO!!!
Malazek wrote: and then it occurs to him that he could feystep up there.

At that moment Straegis feysteps to the statue and replaces the sword in its rightful home. He says a few words thanking the king for the use of his weapon, then he heads back down.

O.O.C.: I can feystep back down also, correct? Do I need any kind of check to find out what happens?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg looks about.

"Yea, us put'n backs ye artifact ta ye King an' what nots. Bebless ye Spirits . . . what say ye, Ghosts of old?"

Insight on the Ghosts: 34

Roll
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:At that moment Straegis feysteps to the statue and replaces the sword in its rightful home. He says a few words thanking the king for the use of his weapon ....
Vangg wrote:Vangg looks about. "Yea, us put'n backs ye artifact ta ye King an' what nots. Bebless ye Spirits . . . what say ye, Ghosts of old?"

Insight on the Ghosts: 34
Vangg can't really see the spirits, but the sense of dread fades as a feeling of relief washes over the room; Vangg is fairly certian this IS what the spirits wanted.

Straegis wrote:... then he heads back down.
When Straegis is again on the floor near his friends, he watches their eyes widen in shock. Turning to see what they see, his jaw drops as he realizes the king is standing on the alter; fully fleshed!!

The king's narrow black beard contrasts sharply against his alabaster skin. With his royal scepter in one hand and his birthright blade in the other, he allows a smile to cross his face. Lifting the sword to the unseen cieling, he bellows a deep sigh; the lost breath of many centuries returning to his dust-filled lungs.

He tips his head and opens his eyes; his green-blue stare glowing down at you from atop the dias. Suddenly, the halls are filled with people, as the undead spirits take corporeal form. A roar of cheer floods the tabernacle, punctuated by the sound of their spears beating against their shields like drums.

"Long live Rex Qalibar!" they shout in unison.

When the king speaks, the "spirits" are instantly silent.
"To whom do I owe such sublime gratitude?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:08 am

The Witch-King wrote:The fisherman remains alert but relaxed, standing on the balls of his feet, hammer held slightly aloft to speed release should the need arise.

He says nothing, deferring to the more courtly members of the group; though he does subtly nudge Straegis in the heel.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity try's to determine whether the curse of undeath was lifted.
Religion 14 (+ circumstantial for being a servant of death?)
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:Verity try's to determine whether the curse of undeath was lifted.
Religion 14+2
It's difficult to say for sure, but some undead can be fully corporeal, and some can even SEEM alive.
That seems more likely than mass-ressurection.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex shuffles his feet. His face split into a grin by the groups heroic actions. He can't wait to see what glory a king will bestow upon them!
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:09 am

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis pulls back his hood, steps forward and says "I am Straegis II, these are my allies- Mordax, Verity, Alex, Vangg, Davin, Hound, Tulgarnuuk and Kersh. We are honored to make your acquaintance sir, and proud to have returned your property to its rightful home." With that, Straegis bends slightly at the waist extending his arm and nodding his head, he motions for his friends to follow suit.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:The old monarch responds, "Straegis II. Might that be Straegis of the Feywild, then? Very well, you have my sincerest gratitude. What may I offer by way of thanks? Do not be humble with your request; you have done me a great service, and I would have this opportunity to repay it."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote: "Sir, yes I do hail from the Feywild, you've heard of my name then? I'm impressed... allow me a moment to confer with my allies before a request is made. This task was not achieved by one, nor shall the decision for a fitting reward be made alone." Straegis turns to his allies to seek their opinions about the most appropriate and mutually beneficial reward to ask for. He says calmly "Don't forget, he specifically told us not to be humble with our request."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Beware infernal undead bearing gifts, lest we find ourselves in a gilded cage.
"Ask that they transcend the mortal world and seek their rightful place in the land of the dead,"
advises Verity.

OCC 1:
People, Places and Things wrote:Rex Qalibar. (Historic) the evil monarch that was overthrown by Sazar I during the early age of Etol. Though historical evidence suggests that he was real, it also suggests that he died long, long before the birth of Sazar I. Supposedly, Rex Qalibar conquered the cruel snake people who lived in these lands before the rise of humanity; they gave him a sword as a gift of fealty and surrender. Straegis found that sword in a treasure trove in the underdark.
So Qalibar is evil and likely enjoyed a "long, long" post-death career as an undead conqueror.

Malazek wrote:Alex studies the familiar script, but cannot make out the words; it is apparently written in the Abyssal Tongue. But he CAN make out enough to tell that the engravings are names and titles ... omniously, ALL of the titles end with the phrase "O' Ba'al Qalibar" (which loosley translates as "of Lord Qalibar").
Evil Qalibar favors the language of the abyss, at least for binding servants to him.

the ghost of a noble wrote:A barely audible whisper answers ...
"Touch nothing and offer no offense
you may proceed to the tabernacle
there, too, show the proper deference
or you shall share our eternal shackle."
So basically I feel like being humble is actually a good idea here. Deference good, eternal shackle bad.

OCC2:
Back early from the land of Monteczuma's deadly revenge, didn't want to be there if they end up closing the border.
Feeling totally fine to boot.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:10 am

The Witch-King wrote:The old soldier says "N'er trust a shade, boyo', an' tha's straight fraem me ol' granny, sae 'tis. Tha' idea o' askin' 'em tae move on is a guid one, an' true. O' course, there is tha' little quandry o' a drake back yonder, an' a path leadin' oot o' here."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
Halcyon wrote:OCC2: Back early from the land of Monteczuma's deadly revenge, didn't want to be there if they end up closing the border.
Feeling totally fine to boot.
Welcome back! What the hell were you doing down there in the first place? Shocked
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg bows, then looks to Straegis.

"Ye only liveth once . . . well . . . err . . . nigh in dis case."

Vangg raises his voice slightly, "Mayhaps kin giveth an ting ta makes me strongers an' what nots? Nigh times fer 'umbleness . . . we's did returns 'is Sword. Mighthaps an' wells be rewardeds."

The dwarf shrugs and cracks a smile.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"Perhaps knowledge that was thought lost is the treasure we should ask for. We still don't know how we are going to change the Wise Stone's elemental alignment - maybe the Queen led us here to uncover that lore?"

O.O.C. - Should we Insight check Qalibar? If so, I will Aid, by watching the reactions of the other ghosts...

O.O.C. #2 - Sorry I've been away this week; been ridiculously ill. And I didn't even go to Mexico.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:11 am

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C: We would all like to be turned into undead!?!

Straegis steps up and asks, "I would request a few things: We could all use a safe place to rest and recover. We also seek knowledge- An opportunity to visit your library with one of your sages to assist us and maybe some scribing materials. A reward? Perhaps you could spare an artifact that would suit myself and each of my allies particularly unique skills?" He waits patiently for the response and hopes his friends will use their individual talents to apprise the kings response.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Insight Check on Qalibar: 38

Roll
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Vangg wrote:"...Mighthaps an' wells be rewardeds."

Davin wrote:"...maybe the Queen led us here to uncover that lore?"

"If we were led here it was to send this king who mocks Death to Her, my dwarven brother's love of treasure notwithstanding.
"I'll take no boon he offers but acceptance of his righteous, natural fate; his exit from this world."
says the Paladin, as politely as he can manage.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:Straegis steps up and asks, "I would request a few things: We could all use a safe place to rest and recover. We also seek knowledge- An opportunity to visit your library with one of your sages to assist us and maybe some scribing materials. A reward? Perhaps you could spare an artifact that would suit myself and each of my allies' particularly unique skills?" He waits patiently for the response and hopes his friends will use their individual talents to apprise the kings response.
Rex Qalibar scratches his beard, and ponders the request. "Very well; you may rest in our sacred halls as long as necessary ... but we have no library here. You may instead speak with my personal sage and advisor: Nennius." After a moment, he continues, "And a gift for EACH of your allies?!" he asks, rhetorically. "I suppose that is not too much to ask, but I know naught of their unique skills. I shall, however, endeavor to meet your request by morning."

Mordax wrote:The old soldier says "N'er trust a shade, boyo', an' tha's straight fraem me ol' granny, sae 'tis. Tha' idea o' askin' 'em tae move on is a guid one, an' true. O' course, there is tha' little quandry o' a drake back yonder, an' a path leadin' oot o' here."
Verity wrote:"If we were led here it was to send this king who mocks Death to Her, my dwarven brother's love of treasure notwithstanding. "I'll take no boon he offers but acceptance of his righteous, natural fate; his exit from this world." says the Paladin, as politely as he can manage.
Vangg wrote:Insight Check on Qalibar: 38+2
Roll
Vangg studies the dead king's facial expressions, and sees no reason to mistrust his promises. ... but Vangg also gathers that Ba'al Qalibar is by no means oblivious to the fact that Mordax and Verity are calling for his long-awaited demise, and he's slightly perturbed by the notion (though, clues of this fact are subtle; he has maintained his aristocratic "poker face" through all of their comments).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next